Photo

Vanessa's Personal Regimen

makeup oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#21 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (KissDontTell @ Jul 8 2011, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere that it's not good to wash your skin with very cold or very hot water. I don't remember where I heard this though... But anyway, I don't see the harm in just washing with cold water, it doesn't necessarily have to be ice cold right? I personally feel weird washing with cooler water, it just feels weird to me, haha. So I usually stick to warm or lukewarm water.

Anyway, I don't think that changing the water temperature is going to break you out. But then again, what do I know? Lol ..maybe just try lukewarm water first. smile.gif

On another note, I'm feeling pretty guilty right now because I just squeezed out a couple of blackheads. neutral.gif It was out of sheer boredom, too. I didn't really do much though, just squeezed out the ones that were like ... pushing out of my pores and looking really gross. That just happened to be the majority of them though. But yeah, it didn't take much effort to extract them ... ugh they are the bane of my existence. I dabbed some tea tree oil on my problem areas as well. I hope I don't wake up tomorrow to an army of pimples. I will be soooooo mad at myself. -_- Note to self: STAY AWAY FROM MIRRORS. They are evil.

"Mirrors"- tell me about it, the greatest enemies..Stay away from them for the next few days atleast till we are on this regimen...I guess at this point of time, not touching the face is the best thing to do, but in my opinion, more than the touching, the tea tree oil shouldnt be used at all when on water only regimen, I mean any topical shouldnt be used. There are chances that you would breakout at the same place, or nearby place, but not sure, may be not? Hope for the best, and try not to use anything on the face from now. Even if you pop any pimple or whitehead or blackhead, just leave it alone after that. I mean try to not pop it at all, but if you do, then dont apply anything after that. Leave it, and it may heal faster.

And yes, I should try with going from hot to warm first. And then may be lukewarm. I wont be going to cold water until next month, because if I break out in between, I will start blaming the water temp, which may clearly have nothing to do with it. But yes, may be little warm rather than hot!

#22 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

Live fast die young, bad girls do it well.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (kris2011 @ Jul 8 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (KissDontTell @ Jul 8 2011, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere that it's not good to wash your skin with very cold or very hot water. I don't remember where I heard this though... But anyway, I don't see the harm in just washing with cold water, it doesn't necessarily have to be ice cold right? I personally feel weird washing with cooler water, it just feels weird to me, haha. So I usually stick to warm or lukewarm water.

Anyway, I don't think that changing the water temperature is going to break you out. But then again, what do I know? Lol ..maybe just try lukewarm water first. smile.gif

On another note, I'm feeling pretty guilty right now because I just squeezed out a couple of blackheads. neutral.gif It was out of sheer boredom, too. I didn't really do much though, just squeezed out the ones that were like ... pushing out of my pores and looking really gross. That just happened to be the majority of them though. But yeah, it didn't take much effort to extract them ... ugh they are the bane of my existence. I dabbed some tea tree oil on my problem areas as well. I hope I don't wake up tomorrow to an army of pimples. I will be soooooo mad at myself. -_- Note to self: STAY AWAY FROM MIRRORS. They are evil.

"Mirrors"- tell me about it, the greatest enemies..Stay away from them for the next few days atleast till we are on this regimen...I guess at this point of time, not touching the face is the best thing to do, but in my opinion, more than the touching, the tea tree oil shouldnt be used at all when on water only regimen, I mean any topical shouldnt be used. There are chances that you would breakout at the same place, or nearby place, but not sure, may be not? Hope for the best, and try not to use anything on the face from now. Even if you pop any pimple or whitehead or blackhead, just leave it alone after that. I mean try to not pop it at all, but if you do, then dont apply anything after that. Leave it, and it may heal faster.

And yes, I should try with going from hot to warm first. And then may be lukewarm. I wont be going to cold water until next month, because if I break out in between, I will start blaming the water temp, which may clearly have nothing to do with it. But yes, may be little warm rather than hot!

Well, if you take a look at my original post... you will see that I made no promise to stop using the tea tree oil. unsure.gif I've never had any adverse effect from it, and it actually greatly decreases my inflammation and prevents infection. So I will always have some good ol' tea tree oil on hand at allllll times. I have been trying to wean myself off it gradually, but after having my fingers in my face ... I really felt like it was necessary. xD

#23 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

I guess you are right, water temperature shouldnt make much difference, anyways since I never used hot water in my early stages of life, I would probably switch to lukewarm water or may be warm to start with. Lets see if it helps with the dryness..

Anyways, today my forhead is not looking good, i got three pustules there, but they are more like whiteheads, I mean they are quite small compared to what I used to get earlier.. So lets see, if they heal on their own. My cheeks and chin as usual, no improvements yet. But I am keeping my hopes on the positive side yet.

One thing that I observed this time is, last time when I did water only before a month( for may be 7 days), I couldnt live without washing my face twice a day, I mean by the end of 12 hours, I would feel I have to wash...I also went two days without washing in the evening the last time, and I looked horrible. Horrible means I just cant describe at all.. But this time, its been two days that I am washing only in the evening,(yesterday and today), and I dont feel a thing.. I dont feel like there is any difference in washing two times or washing 1 time. There could be two reasons for this. One is, the first time, I suddenly quit cleanser and moisturiser and all spot treatments..And there were times when I would wash my face thrice a day. So I guess, my face didnt accept the washing 1 time suddenly. But now, its been almost more than 1 and half month since I used cleanser, and all these times, I only washed two times a day, never in the middle. So now, my face can accept washing once nicely. The other reason could be, now I wash only in the evening, as opposed to what I did before a month when I washed only once a day, I was washing in the morning. So that could be the other reason. And thanks for the tip ashley for washing in the evening! Not sure if thats the reason, but its actually making me tension free in the morning about washing my face.

#24 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

True. Ya, probably time will show if water temp affects or not. May be not, thats what even I am hoping for, but will give warm water a shot today! And my skin was never dry. Infact, it was a little oily I would say in my early teens. I mean it wasnt like too too oily, but it was oily.. So I am surprised with the dryness. Lets see, I still have a long way to go, but overall I am feeling good that I dont have to depend on anything when I travel and all, so I am happy. Hope this regimen really works for me!

#25 JustDance

JustDance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hello there =). I used to have red crusty patches on my eyelids that might be a little like what you have. I tried a bunch of eye creams, but none of them really did anything for it. Then I started using cetaphil moisturizing cream around my eyes and they went away within a week. I know you don't want to use any products though, and I respect that. You are very brave! I just thought I'd let you know what worked for me incase you ever decide to try and use something for it. I've been using cetaphil cream around my eyes everyday for over a year now, and it really is the best eye cream ever.
Good luck with your water only regimen, I'll be looking forward to your updates!

#26 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

July 9: Acne: No new breakouts to report! eusa_dance.gif I'm very happy that my little exfoliation session a few days ago didn't cause a setback. *knocks on wood again* If it wasn't for this damn hyperpigmentation ... I would be feeling pretty good about my face. ): Ugh. But I try not to complain, because this is the best my skin has looked for quite a while now.

I'm still very, very oily. But now that I don't wear makeup anymore, it doesn't bother me as much. I hated having to reapply powder to my t-zone every hour. Now all I do is use a tissue paper to wipe whatever excess oil I have, and keep it moving.

I've decided that I'm going to start washing my face only once a day now. I think washing it twice is too drying, and I don't want to exacerbate the flakiness.

Eczema: The swelling seems to be less noticeable today. That's about it.

*edited because I wrote the wrong date* -_- derp.

Edited by KissDontTell, 09 July 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#27 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (JustDance @ Jul 9 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there =). I used to have red crusty patches on my eyelids that might be a little like what you have. I tried a bunch of eye creams, but none of them really did anything for it. Then I started using cetaphil moisturizing cream around my eyes and they went away within a week. I know you don't want to use any products though, and I respect that. You are very brave! I just thought I'd let you know what worked for me incase you ever decide to try and use something for it. I've been using cetaphil cream around my eyes everyday for over a year now, and it really is the best eye cream ever.
Good luck with your water only regimen, I'll be looking forward to your updates!

Hi, thanks for the reply. amused.gif I appreciate the recommendation, but the thing is my eyelids don't display "typical" eczema characteristics, so to speak. It's not crusty or flaky. Instead it's swollen, inflamed, the lids are darkened (like a bruise), and wrinkly. Also, there are lots of tiny, tiny bumps going along the rash that give it a shadowy-type appearance. I wish it was as easy as just moisturizing it, but that doesn't help at all, it actually makes it even MORE red and puffy. But thanks anyway! smile.gif

#28 JustDance

JustDance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

eusa_think.gif hmm.. well i guess we had two very different types of eczema then. I know its a pain having stuff like that on your eyes rolleyes.gif . I hope yours goes away real soon here. It sounds like your water only regimen is going really great!

#29 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

Ugh trust me. :/ For months, it's been eating away at my self-esteem, to the point where I would have to fight back tears every time I looked in the mirror. But now that I'm FINALLY getting answers from doctors, I feel a lot better. thanks for the support. (:

#30 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (KissDontTell @ Jul 9 2011, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
July 9: Acne: No new breakouts to report! eusa_dance.gif I'm very happy that my little exfoliation session a few days ago didn't cause a setback. *knocks on wood again* If it wasn't for this damn hyperpigmentation ... I would be feeling pretty good about my face. ): Ugh. But I try not to complain, because this is the best my skin has looked for quite a while now.

I'm still very, very oily. But now that I don't wear makeup anymore, it doesn't bother me as much. I hated having to reapply powder to my t-zone every hour. Now all I do is use a tissue paper to wipe whatever excess oil I have, and keep it moving.

I've decided that I'm going to start washing my face only once a day now. I think washing it twice is too drying, and I don't want to exacerbate the flakiness.

Eczema: The swelling seems to be less noticeable today. That's about it.

*edited because I wrote the wrong date* -_- derp.

Wow, thats nice to know that your skin is looking better today. I am still far from looking good. Infact, I got two small pustules on my forhead today, but they are very small compared to what I used to get, so I am not worrying to much.

And yes, washing once per day has definately helped me, I guess it would help you too. And I also feel that washing in the evening is better than morning, because long back when I tried washing in the morning, it didnt work, at the end of the day, I would still feel that I need to wash my face again...

#31 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (kris2011 @ Jul 9 2011, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, thats nice to know that your skin is looking better today. I am still far from looking good. Infact, I got two small pustules on my forhead today, but they are very small compared to what I used to get, so I am not worrying to much.

And yes, washing once per day has definately helped me, I guess it would help you too. And I also feel that washing in the evening is better than morning, because long back when I tried washing in the morning, it didnt work, at the end of the day, I would still feel that I need to wash my face again...

Well, at least they're aren't as big as usual, right? Hopefully if you keep this up, you'll see an even better improvement. smile.gif I think I'm going to wash in the morning, because I take a shower before school and I find it easier to wash while in the bath. But I'll test it out this week and see what works best for my skin.

#32 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (KissDontTell @ Jul 10 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, at least they're aren't as big as usual, right? Hopefully if you keep this up, you'll see an even better improvement. smile.gif I think I'm going to wash in the morning, because I take a shower before school and I find it easier to wash while in the bath. But I'll test it out this week and see what works best for my skin.

Today isnt a good day for me...I got tears in my eyes because of how my face looks currently. I mean my face still looks the same as yesterday, but I think I have been obsessing too much about my skin lately, and spending too much time on this website, which is making me little depressed. I think I am going to continue doing the water only regimen, but will take a break for a week from this website and report back my progress on next weekend. That would help me not to think about my skin so much... I will try to get busy in work, which I can because we just started a new project and there is lots to do in that project.and also in my free time, I will hit the gym, do yoga, etc...

#33 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

July 10: Acne: I think I've developed a small papule near my nose/eye area. It doesn't look too inflamed so I'm not worried. Other than that, everything else is running pretty smoothly.
No problem with flaking.

One good thing that I've noticed is that I don't have that dry, tight feeling after washing anymore. biggrin.gif Does that mean that my skin is becoming less dehydrated??

Eczema: The swelling seems to be going down more and more each day. I'm pleased.

#34 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (kris2011 @ Jul 10 2011, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (KissDontTell @ Jul 10 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Today isnt a good day for me...I got tears in my eyes because of how my face looks currently. I mean my face still looks the same as yesterday, but I think I have been obsessing too much about my skin lately, and spending too much time on this website, which is making me little depressed. I think I am going to continue doing the water only regimen, but will take a break for a week from this website and report back my progress on next weekend. That would help me not to think about my skin so much... I will try to get busy in work, which I can because we just started a new project and there is lots to do in that project.and also in my free time, I will hit the gym, do yoga, etc...

): I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe taking a break is a good idea. Focus on other aspects of your life, and remember to stay positive! Hope you have a good week. amused.gif

#35 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Ok so I thought I drop in here and post an update.. Its been 4 days since I posted something, and I feel really great not spending so much time here on this website. No offense on Dan, he has done a great job by developing this site and sharing his experience.

But personally I do feel that this website has done a lot of harm to me.. So, I guess doing nothing also accounts for not visiting this website for me. For now, till I heal compeletely, I will try to avoid this website as much as I can, may be visit once a week or may be twice, and then once I feel that I have mild acne now, I will completely stop visiting this website, and just login once to help others if I can.

Regarding the update, no improvement in my acne. It looks like my face is the same everyday. I may have anywhere between 7-9 pimples on my face. However, I am slowly slowly getting comfortable with the washing only with water thing. I actually like it not worrying about washing my face at all in the morning. So overall I am loving it even though I still have about 7-8 pimples on my face.

Flaking/Peeling- Minor to somewhat moderate
Redness- minor
Itchiness- minor to sometimes moderate. but mostly minor.it varies with the time of the day.
Pimples-7 to 8, mostly pustules, which get a head very soon, but take longer time to heal than usual time when topicals were being used.

I am still not happy with my face at all since I still have pimples. I am ok with the flaking/peeling/deadskin, but pimples?? When will these monsters go?

However, I am not going to give up this time. I know that 3rd week is too early to expect results. I am definately going to give this regimen exactly 60 days atleast, and may be more.

I would no longer be posting here until weekend as a part of doing nothing for the skin, but do post your updates whoever is following this regimen. Its nice to hear updates!

#36 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

I haven't updated in a few days, I've been busy with summer school. D: But it's probably for the best, because it gives me something else to keep me occupied with. It's nice to have something else to obsess over. Anyway....

July 14: Acne: I was out and about for most of the weekend, & because of this, I slacked off a bit in my diet. :/ Also I haven't been grocery shopping in a while. I know there's some "controversy" with the whole diet and acne thing, but I'm going to say that may be the reason why I broke out in a couple of inflamed zits over the weekend. Thankfully, after a few days of going back to my diet, they are barely noticeable. (and this is with no tea tree oil, haha) I don't think my skin likes junk food. xD

Everything else is pretty much the same. Still dealing with my comedonal acne. It reeeeeeally is a pain in the ass. The hyperpigmentation on my cheeks is looking a bit better. I hope that it's not just my mind playing tricks on me, LOL. But it seems like it's slowly fading.

Eczema:The swelling has gone done A LOT, compared to a year ago. I'm optimistic that it will eventually heal on its own, as long as I keep any possible allergens away from it. It's still very dry though, and there is hyperpigmentation as well. But there is definitely improvement.

#37 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ok so I thought I will post an update today. I know its been just two days since I posted not to post an update, but had nothing to do this evening and visited this website again. Anyways, as long as I keep it in limits, i should be good!

So regarding my face, no improvement in pimples, just none at all. Skin texture is improving somewhat. My face doesnt look very bad at the end of 24 hours when I havent washed in past 24 hours. It looks ok, not good, not bad. Earlier it used to look bad.

Itching- Mild to moderate(sometimes moderate to severe in some places)
Pimples- still about 8 to 10 pimples on the face, although that small small whiteheads are no longer there.
Flaking- moderate on the chin, and mild on the other parts of the face.
No peeling, no deadskin- I think this is more of an issue with people on caveman regimen, not us.
Dryness- moderate on the chin and around the mouth. I dont know if this is the same as flaking and i am using it twice? It appears like small small whitish things very small on the face, but not whiteheads, i mean I can remove them easily using my hand.

The good thing is, I am no longer conscious about having such a bad face and going to the office everyday without any makeup, without any wash in the morning, and just a simple shower in the evening. Sometimes, I feel that people may be thinking about my acne, but then, i guess who has time to look at it?? Everybody is just doing their work..Also, I make sure to have neat and clean hair and dress well, so that atleast people see something positive and dont look at my acne.

As I said, I will give this regimen 2 months exactly. I plan on not using any topicals for rest of my life( that I promise to myself, and I am planning to keep this up). However, at the end of two months, if I dont see improvement in my acne, I would take either Birth control or Antibiotic. Mostly birthcontrol, because I am pretty sure that would be less harmful than Antibiotic. The reason for this is, I am planning to get married by next year, and I cannot look awful starting next year for atleast a year. However, I am not planning to take BCP for a long time, may be a year or year and half. I know thats not going to solve my problem, but temporarily make me look good in the important phase of my life.

I am trying to do some research on BCP. I am thinking Orthotricyclen. Not sure if should take Lo or the regular? I am confused! Any inputs will be appreciated. However, I am not planning to use any cleanser, any lotion, any BP on my face for the rest of my life. And I am going to give this water only atleast 2 months. If by the end of 2 months, even if I see 70-80% improvement, I wont go on BCP. So lets see, time will show results!

#38 KissDontTell

KissDontTell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

July 17: Acne: My skin actually feels normal after washing now, and not like it's going to crack into a million pieces and fall off my face, haha. The flakiness is improving somewhat, the biggest problem is that space between my eyebrows ... I don't know why, but there's seems to be quite a bit of dead skin there. That's probably why the pores in that area are so clogged.
I've noticed that my skin feels less bumpy than usual. Not sure why. Still hella oily, but no new breakouts. (: No inflammed pimples. PIH on outer cheeks looks slightly better, probably because my skin isn't being stripped of its oils anymore. I hope that the fading speeds up a bit though..

Still lots of whiteheads, but they seem to be purging? Kinda icky. Especially on my inner cheeks/temples.

Eczema: Noticing that it's not as dry anymore. Other than that, no change.

#39 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

eusa_clap.gif Nice to hear your progress Kissdonttell. I am still strugling with pimples, and some inflammed as well. But overall, i am loving this regimen, so I am still going to continue with this for the next month. I am already on the 4th week though..By the way, no more whiteheads.I got those in the intial two weeks of water only, and inflammed were less, but now its the reverse. So lets see..Also, its my time of month, i should be getting my periods in 3-4 days, so that could be the reason?

#40 hina2011

hina2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

So I thought, I will post an update..Face is looking much better today. Less pimples compared to last week. I am currently on the 4th week of water only regimen.
Itchiness- Minor, but on the chin moderate
Flakiness- all over the place where I ever had acne.
Redness- Minor
Deadskin- None so far.

My face is looking better in the past two days, but one of the reasons for that could be because my period is already started. But the good thing here is, before this period, my face didnt break out horribly as it breaks every month. This time, i just got one cystic acne on my chin, which is still there, which is very inflammed, and which is very big, but I am not doing anything about it. I am pretty sure that once the periods are over, this will go away on its own.

Hoping for the best on water only regimen! The first three weeks of water only regimen were really really hard, but the fourth week is looking somewhat better. Not totally better, but somewhat.. I m not giving up this water-only regimen!

I guess before leaving, Ashley left a very good footprint on this website!