concealer foundation

4 replies to this topic

#1 TooMuchInfo

TooMuchInfo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

I read Dan's Acne.org Blog post on Women and Make up. I went on to do the test to gauge whether or not my pimples were cosmetically induced. The quiz said that perhaps cosmetics were to blame for my sudden breakouts eusa_snooty.gif .

In the post Dan went on to talk about Almay and how they have acne sufferers in mind when making their products.

The only problem is Almay does not make a single color that I could use as a concealer or foundation on my face! They do not cater to the whole spectrum of women eusa_wall.gif .

Does anyone have suggestions of reputable brands that sell non-comedogenic, oil free and hopefully hypoallergenic concealers and liquid foundations? eusa_pray.gif

I currently use Mac Studio Fix Fluid in NW50 and Mac Studio Finish Concealer in NW45. I worry that they may be breaking me out but I have yet to find an alternative to wean me from Mac foundations and concealers that make no promise of being good for the skin but give an amazing finish and color match.

I mean, we can rave about Almay all we want but if their products don't cater to women of color I feel like they still have a lot of work to do cry.gif

#2 Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (i am ashley. @ Jul 5 2011, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most drug store brands don't sell shades for darker skin tones, or even for other various skin tones. Usually it's just neutrals, cools (pinks), and warms (orangy). So there's often not enough shades for peach, golden or olive complexions. I've never found a solid match for my skintone, as it's a slightly peachy olivey tone.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head, since I am fair skinned, but I also no longer wear foundation. I'd say check out review sites to see what gets good reviews, and then see if they have good shade ranges. I know brands like Makeup For Ever would likely have more shades to choose from. I like makeupalley.com for reviews myself.

I agree!
But to answer the question, it may be a bit pricey but for the most part Mac is pretty good, and comes in a wide range of colours. I'm black, and I use mac studio fix powder in nw 50. Or, Laura mercier comes in a wide range of colours, I haven't tried their products but I heard that they're good, especially their tinted moisturizers.

#3 TooMuchInfo

TooMuchInfo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (i am ashley. @ Jul 5 2011, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most drug store brands don't sell shades for darker skin tones, or even for other various skin tones. Usually it's just neutrals, cools (pinks), and warms (orangy). So there's often not enough shades for peach, golden or olive complexions. I've never found a solid match for my skintone, as it's a slightly peachy olivey tone.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head, since I am fair skinned, but I also no longer wear foundation. I'd say check out review sites to see what gets good reviews, and then see if they have good shade ranges. I know brands like Makeup For Ever would likely have more shades to choose from. I like for reviews myself.

You are definitely right. When I wrote it I was upset that Almay would have gone through the trouble to make acne-friendly products but completely overlook other skin tones. I know several women who's skin is darker than what they call "sand" or "tan" so the market is there and these women are looking to buy. But you hit the nail on the head when you said drugstore brands only come in basic neutrals, pinks and oranges.

I took your advice and joined makeupalley.com. I LOVE that you can filter the product reviews by negative or positive, skin type, skin color, skin issues etc, its really cool.

Thanks for the tip! Something tell me that makeupalley.com will become holy grail eusa_dance.gif

xo

#4 Jlisondra

Jlisondra

misalnya u tidak tahan ketika aku pergi.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (TooMuchInfo @ Jul 4 2011, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean, we can rave about Almay all we want but if their products don't cater to women of color I feel like they still have a lot of work to do cry.gif

great point : ) i really don't understand this. drugstore brands come out with a new mascara almost every week, yet they can't improve their foundation selection. lame. i don't shop at the department store for makeup that much, but what i do like about their products is that they normally have a larger shade range. i also have trouble finding my exact shade @ the drugstore, so i end up having to disguise it with a little blush. lol have you heard about silk naturals? i haven't tried it myself, but they make a foundation where you can mix your own color, and it has good reviews on makeupalley.
natural is beautiful. but glamour is fun.

#5 Jadedpoet

Jadedpoet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

I like Mary Kays liquid foundation, that's just me personally and I'm as you can see chocolate lol. They have a mineral powder that works great for oil control and setting liquid foundation but it breaks me out. I like looking at DestinyGodley(she is near my complexion) on YouTube as well as makeupalley.com for tips.
I'm a bronze 2 with Mary Kay and tried Mac once but hated how , I guess orange I looked. I wear foundation on special events sometimes so I'm not really deep into it like that. lipstick and eyeshadow yes lol.
Dat Jaded Chic

Skin type-Combination/sensitive

Morning- Mary kay combo oily cleanser
blemish control toner (only in the rare instance i'm having a small breakout)
Mary kay Day solution 2 pumps
Mary Kay moisturizer combo oily moisturizer

Night- Mary kay combo oily cleanser
Mary kay night solution 2 pumps
Mary Kay moisturizer combo oily moisturizer
*vaseline on dry areas*

Subject to change because I never stick to anything. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users