Photo

Manuka honey broke me out REALLY bad?

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 jjscott

jjscott

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

okay ive had acne for a while now. just a week or two ago i didnt have thaat many spots, probably only 3 or 4 active ones, some red marks left by spots, and a fair amound of whiteheads and under the skin spots. i heard manuka honey is good for both getting rid of spots and fading scars. i had used normal honey while waiting for the manuka honey to arrive and seen little to no results. when the manuka honey came, i put it ont for about 5 hours, washed it off, then put it on in the morning of the next day, and the whole night. after a day or two i now have spots all over my face, with a lot of sebum coming to the surface, and alot of red and inflamed spots. i dont know why this is as i thought manuka honey was meant to do the opposite. my only reasoning can be that its drawing all the oil from my skin, but i dont know why there is so many new spots and so suddenly. all across my cheeks, chin and nose i cant find a patch of smooth skin as it is just covered with bumps. it's been about 3 days since it got really bad. i have also just started to use some aloe vera gel. what am i doing wrong/ what should i do? why is this happened and does anyone know how long it will take to go down? thanks for any advice.

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

It's possible you could be sensitive to honey, but honestly, manuka honey has saved me many times. I'd be inclined to ask what kind of honey you used when you were just using normal honey. If it wasn't raw and organic, then that could really break you out! (and break-outs can take a while to surface, from weeks to months)

Also, what brand of manuka honey, and what UMF+? Some manuka honey isn't real manuka honey, as the brand has to be certified to assure quality. Some are just scams.

#3 jjscott

jjscott

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

when i use the manuka honey my skin feels no different and not irritated at all.
i can't really just use it on individual spots, as if i was going to do that i would pretty much end up covering my whole face anyway.
i was using just normal supermarket honey for about 2 days, starting from last tuesday and lasting to thursday, i then got the manuka honey and have used that from Friday till now. i would of thought leaving it on for longer would do more good than bad, but maybe im wrong.
the brand of manuka honey i use is 'new zealend manuka gold' and says the umf rating is 15 which i beleive is quite good.
what should i be doing differently? i have a very important event to go to in 9 days which i cannot afford to miss, yet i dont want to leave the house looking like this..

#4 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (jjscott @ Jul 4 2011, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when i use the manuka honey my skin feels no different and not irritated at all.
i can't really just use it on individual spots, as if i was going to do that i would pretty much end up covering my whole face anyway.
i was using just normal supermarket honey for about 2 days, starting from last tuesday and lasting to thursday, i then got the manuka honey and have used that from Friday till now. i would of thought leaving it on for longer would do more good than bad, but maybe im wrong.
the brand of manuka honey i use is 'new zealend manuka gold' and says the umf rating is 15 which i beleive is quite good.
what should i be doing differently? i have a very important event to go to in 9 days which i cannot afford to miss, yet i dont want to leave the house looking like this..

Yeah, that manuka sounds good to me! If you respond positively to the honey, I think leaving it on for longer is good. But, I'll just say that I hate honey, and so I tend to stop using it eventually (it's just a mess, you know?). I've been using manuka on and off since September of last year. I've finally decided, after playing around with a lot of variables, that manuka honey really does work for me. It's so, so impossibly hard to pinpoint breakouts sometimes. Your best bet at this point would be to stop both the regular and manuka honey, and then reintroduce it after this breakout has subsided. I'm sorry about that event coming up! There are plenty of other masks to try though.

Plain, pasturized honey is not comedogenic. It also doesn't generally have the same antibacterial properties as raw honey. So it's very very very unlikely that pasturized honey would have caused the OP issues. I for one can use normal honey without much issue, but raw honey was an irritant for me, and dried my skin out. But even then, I didn't see a serious difference between the two; in fact, most people don't. Yet I still found the honey to be quite drying, even though I used one of the types recommended. Honey, or any ingredient, is not for everyone.

And leaving things on for longer doesn't mean it works faster or better. I mean, do you brush your teeth for 3 hours? Do you spend 40 minutes washing your hands after going to the bathroom?

If you think the honey caused this and you think that it will make it worse, or just don't want to risk it, then stop using it until your event. And then try it again, but don't over-use it. If you wanted it as a leave-on product, then wear it as a mask for no longer than 30 minutes, and then rinse off. Do this only once a day at most.

Honey is often used in wound healing, and leaving it on for longer does help substantially. Cleansing, like brushing your teeth or washing your hands, isn't the same as topical application. I would compare honey with benzoyl peroxide: if the skin isn't sensitive, it is better to leave BP on for extended periods of time. (Unless of course you break out from BP, but that's a whole nother issue). And especially since honey isn't an irritant for most, it's great for leaving on.

I wouldn't say regular, store-bought honey isn't comedogenic, but the additives that can be put in regular honey could definitely cause an issue. And pasteurizing does stop a lot of the benefits of raw.

One more thing: to the original poster, I'll say that Ashley and I are really different! I LOVE manuka honey. It is a god send for me, and I see better and better results the longer I leave it on. It's anti-bacterial, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory...it's just great for me. Ashley has really sensitive skin I think! So I'll admit to being a little biased, and Ashley's experience is different too. It's always different. Like I said, it might be best to leave it and come back! That's what I did!

Edited by sgoodleitz, 04 July 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#5 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (i am ashley. @ Jul 4 2011, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leaving it on for longer isn't going to make it any more anti-bacterial, and leaving it on for too long could easily pose issues. When using something as a mask, it's always advised to use it for no longer than 30 minutes. Honey contains glycolic acid. So using it too long on the skin could easily make matters worse. It's fine to leave a thin layer on overnight on pimples like a spot treatment, but leaving it on the entire face for too long is not something I'd recommend. Used daily for 30 minutes is more than enough.

Most store-bought honeys are just honey. At least from what I've seen. So I'm assuming that the normal honey he got was potentially pasteurized but still just honey without any added sugars/dyes/etc.

I'll agree that the OP should not use it for a while and then reintroduce it, but slowly. It's never good to use something a bajillion times in a day when you don't even know how your body responds to it. Better to use it less, then build up.

Anti-bacterial, soothing and healing properties will continue to last when left on. It actually is very well a matter of how long you leave it on. If you leave a clay mask on for too long it becomes too drying, no? So the properties persist with longer application. I just have to disagree, but I see what you're saying.

And many people use AHA's in toners, creams and serums. ACV contains even malic acid, and fruit enzyme sprays are commonly used. The only reason it would be bad to leave an AHA on would be if, you are just too sensitive to it.

Nevermind me, I already gave my advice! Good luck.

#6 jjscott

jjscott

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

thanks for all the advice. i don't see how i would sensitive to it though when my skin feels fine, if not good when using it, whereas when using certain bp products (panoxyl) my skin stings and goes red. i havent really been using the manuka honey much and my skin seems no different, if not worse. i understand manuka honey has an osmosis effect but wouldnt of thought that much would come to the surface. i've been on antibiotics twice now and have tried pretty much everything, so im going to a clinic. i just have to make a choice between n-light and isolaz, problem is i don't know which one is better, and for that kinda money (around £600) i want the best results possible.

#7 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (jjscott @ Jul 5 2011, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for all the advice. i don't see how i would sensitive to it though when my skin feels fine, if not good when using it, whereas when using certain bp products (panoxyl) my skin stings and goes red. i havent really been using the manuka honey much and my skin seems no different, if not worse. i understand manuka honey has an osmosis effect but wouldnt of thought that much would come to the surface. i've been on antibiotics twice now and have tried pretty much everything, so im going to a clinic. i just have to make a choice between n-light and isolaz, problem is i don't know which one is better, and for that kinda money (around £600) i want the best results possible.

I looked into isolaz! As it appears, isolaz is fairly temporary? That's what I've heard about it, that it doesn't really cure you. And for the expense...that's a crazy procedure to continue to perform for maintenance's sake. Have you heard anything better than that? I mean I really haven't, other than the endorsements on their website (which I don't really trust).

I honestly don't know why you would react adversely to manuka honey. I think it's so wonderful. But if you think it might be doing something, there's always a chance. Every ingredient is a potential irritant, because everyone's different (unfortunately).

#8 OmgZep

OmgZep

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

JJ,
Ive put manuka honey on and its suppose to break you out because it cleaning your pores.
It brings all your pimples to a head if you leave it on over night.
So you will suffer from a very bad initial break out
But dont give up,
give it a good 2-3 weeks until you really start noticing a difference
also dont pick

#9 uglies

uglies

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (OmgZep @ Jul 31 2011, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JJ,
Ive put manuka honey on and its suppose to break you out because it cleaning your pores.
It brings all your pimples to a head if you leave it on over night.
So you will suffer from a very bad initial break out
But dont give up,
give it a good 2-3 weeks until you really start noticing a difference
also dont pick

I believe I might be able to attest to this. I hadn't heard of manuka honey causing breakouts (by purging impurities), just reducing inflamation, which was why I began using it. I did not expect a purge.

Since starting with it last week (it works out as mostly every other day, several hours each time) my skin is looking ever more hideous. Papules, pustles and inflamed-looking red patches popping up everywhere. I can only assume this must be the purging stage and that the manuka honey is at least partially the cause of it.

It's important to remember however that this purging stage is not a foregone conclusion. Some people will purge, with varying degrees of severity, whereas others won't. Everything depends on the inidividual.

I'd say stick with it (no pun intended) for 3-6 weeks or so just as a trial period. Take photos of your face every day or every other day, then at the end of the trial look at the photo log and see if there is any progress. That's what I'm currently doing. When it comes to acne et al, quick fixes are scarce. Annoying as it may be you just have to wait it out.

HTH!

Edited by uglies, 06 August 2011 - 10:23 AM.