Photo

FINALLY made the Accutane decision!- Accutane log

This topic is in the process of being archived.
441 replies to this topic

#401 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hey.

Congrats! Must be amazing feeling beeing off Accutane, not taking these pills anymore...! I feel really happy I do not have to worry about it.

I am off Accutane for 2 weeks. My eczema was gone right away - just in about 2 days, so dont worry, it will go away soon.
I saw my derm yesterday and he said that eczema should be on hands only while on Accutane and then go away. First week I was experiencing little small red breakouts on my cheeks... it really scared me - I thought my acne is coming back so fast, but now its only one small bump in 3-4 days and it goes away within day or two.

I asked my derm about this and he said I shouldnt worry, Accutane is still in my sistem and still working (probably that's the reason your eczema is fading slowly).
I was also asking about my red marks/scars.. and I was given samples of Finacea gel (15%azelaic acid) for discoloration that I can use 1 month post Accutane.
I am not sure I will use it, maybe just try on one spot first as I red some bad reviews about it (it might cause breakouts and burning for some).
Another thing he suggested is glycolic peels that I can start 1 month post Accuatane. So probably I will try that.

P.S. My lips were back to normal in a week and also my face is no more looking red or dry. Today first time I went out without foundation and completely forgot Im make up free! My few side effects - some hair loss (less than before though) and little joint pain.

Good luck in all Posted Image

Edited by MelindaOne, 13 February 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#402 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hey.

Congrats! Must be amazing feeling beeing off Accutane, not taking these pills anymore...! I feel really happy I do not have to worry about it.

I am off Accutane for 2 weeks. My eczema was gone right away - just in about 2 days, so dont worry, it will go away soon.
I saw my derm yesterday and he said that eczema should be on hands only while on Accutane and then go away. First week I was experiencing little small red breakouts on my cheeks... it really scared me - I thought my acne is coming back so fast, but now its only one small bump in 3-4 days and it goes away within day or two.

I asked my derm about this and he said I shouldnt worry, Accutane is still in my sistem and still working (probably that's the reason your eczema is fading slowly).
I was also asking about my red marks/scars.. and I was given samples of Finacea gel (15%azelaic acid) for discoloration that I can use 1 month post Accutane.
I am not sure I will use it, maybe just try on one spot first as I red some bad reviews about it (it might cause breakouts and burning for some).
Another thing he suggested is glycolic peels that I can start 1 month post Accuatane. So probably I will try that.

P.S. My lips were back to normal in a week and also my face is no more looking red or dry. Today first time I went out without foundation and completely forgot Im make up free! My few side effects - some hair loss (less than before though) and little joint pain.

Good luck in all Posted Image

Ah I've never heard of glycolic peels but I don't think I wanna go too drastic yet. The word peel scares me! Haha I don't wanna deal with peeling skin, etc.

Good to hear everything I am going through is normal! My eyes are still super dry. I feel like I can't look straight forward when it is windy outside. I have to squint. :(

I'm so jealous you can go makeup free! <3 I think I'm far off from that. :\ Even though I go outside and see people with scarring just like me and they look fine...I'm my own worst critic! It'll come soon though. I'm going on a cruise in April so hopefully things will be looking up by then. My skin just needs time to shed itself and make new layers!

Good luck to you too and keep me updated!

Oh and I see your regimen in your signature. My regimen is still the same and very simple. I was wondering if you thought I should change my regimen or keep it the same? I'm not using a face wash with any acne healing power since I do not have any acne. I'm not too sure.

My brother got off Accutane about 2 years ago and he is still 100% clear and I am kind of basing my treatment off his. Since we most likely have the same type of skin. He does not do anything for acne, just a simple Cetaphil face wash. Then again he doesn't wear makeup! :\

#403 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hey.

Haha, yes, your brother doesnt wear make up.. Well, I am wearing foundation every day, it was just this one day I went to grocery store very quickly (I still have acne scars/marks so I wont go make up free to the mall or something!.. not yet...)

I know make up/foundations can be scary thing as many of them contain so many bad ingredients.. so I try to use one type of foundation and wont experiment changing (not so soon...!) I am not going back to Revlon foundation because, even if its great coverage, it is really very thick and its a nighmare to get it off. As I do not need heavy coverage anymore (Yeey!) so I just use my little samples of LM foundation from Sephora... I havent purchased it as its expensive but maybe will get one for my birthday in spring (then also Ill be more tanned, hopefully so will need darker shade of color anyway). Im too pale now and using the lightest shade (Rose Ivory, LM Silk foundation).

About the peels - its nothing scary and it does not take off your skin layer. Its really gentle peel, very low % acid is used and my skin was only little pink for about few hours only. Next day my skin felt really smooth and nice (I tried it before going on Accutane, a year ago). Its supposed to help with acne marks, pigmentation and fine lines). I will probably try it after 1 month or so (my skin is not so sensitive or crazy dry anymore). As I do not have insurance in US, I found a place were this peel cost only $35.00 but if you have insurance, it might be covered 100%. I know girl who finished Accutane and now is having these peels to clear marks, etc.

About regimen.. I havent changed much, I am not using anything thats meant for acne prone skin. I just do not want my skin to get used to acne products, if you know what I mean. I only use water to wash my face in the morning, together with green tea as a toner (from tea bag....). Then apply moisturizer (Cetaphil and Thalgo serum on nose.. haha.. its because my pores on nose sweat such a big amount of sweat, like water.. so I use lighter serum on nose).. and then apply foundation. I do not use powder or anything, just bcoz my face does not shine (but it depends from foundations, LM is great for shine free face all day long but I tried Revlon Airbrish foundation and my face felt like butter).

Well, and in the evening I use Ponds Cold cream to remove make up, sometimes use little piece of Proactiv wipe to remove access greesiness from this Ponds cream, wash and tone with green tea again. I do not apply moisturizer for night, because my face is not very dry, its just.. normal/dry.

So thats about it. I wish you all the best and have fun on your cruise trip! Where are you going?? Posted Image

Edited by MelindaOne, 14 February 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#404 lukuz

lukuz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hello, I just read your post and noticed you suffered some hair loss - Mine seems to come out easily in the shower and I find it in my hands if I run my hands through my hair roughly.... Did you just battle through it? Did you see any improvement over time?

And now, post-accutane - do you feel that it's going back to normal? I know it's all person-by-person... but it's still worrying me.

#405 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hello, I just read your post and noticed you suffered some hair loss - Mine seems to come out easily in the shower and I find it in my hands if I run my hands through my hair roughly.... Did you just battle through it? Did you see any improvement over time?

And now, post-accutane - do you feel that it's going back to normal? I know it's all person-by-person... but it's still worrying me.

I did not suffer from hair loss if you are referring to me! But MelindaOne has!

Hey.

Haha, yes, your brother doesnt wear make up.. Well, I am wearing foundation every day, it was just this one day I went to grocery store very quickly (I still have acne scars/marks so I wont go make up free to the mall or something!.. not yet...)

I know make up/foundations can be scary thing as many of them contain so many bad ingredients.. so I try to use one type of foundation and wont experiment changing (not so soon...!) I am not going back to Revlon foundation because, even if its great coverage, it is really very thick and its a nighmare to get it off. As I do not need heavy coverage anymore (Yeey!) so I just use my little samples of LM foundation from Sephora... I havent purchased it as its expensive but maybe will get one for my birthday in spring (then also Ill be more tanned, hopefully so will need darker shade of color anyway). Im too pale now and using the lightest shade (Rose Ivory, LM Silk foundation).

About the peels - its nothing scary and it does not take off your skin layer. Its really gentle peel, very low % acid is used and my skin was only little pink for about few hours only. Next day my skin felt really smooth and nice (I tried it before going on Accutane, a year ago). Its supposed to help with acne marks, pigmentation and fine lines). I will probably try it after 1 month or so (my skin is not so sensitive or crazy dry anymore). As I do not have insurance in US, I found a place were this peel cost only $35.00 but if you have insurance, it might be covered 100%. I know girl who finished Accutane and now is having these peels to clear marks, etc.

About regimen.. I havent changed much, I am not using anything thats meant for acne prone skin. I just do not want my skin to get used to acne products, if you know what I mean. I only use water to wash my face in the morning, together with green tea as a toner (from tea bag....). Then apply moisturizer (Cetaphil and Thalgo serum on nose.. haha.. its because my pores on nose sweat such a big amount of sweat, like water.. so I use lighter serum on nose).. and then apply foundation. I do not use powder or anything, just bcoz my face does not shine (but it depends from foundations, LM is great for shine free face all day long but I tried Revlon Airbrish foundation and my face felt like butter).

Well, and in the evening I use Ponds Cold cream to remove make up, sometimes use little piece of Proactiv wipe to remove access greesiness from this Ponds cream, wash and tone with green tea again. I do not apply moisturizer for night, because my face is not very dry, its just.. normal/dry.

So thats about it. I wish you all the best and have fun on your cruise trip! Where are you going?? Posted Image

I use Physician’s Formula foundation which is very good for your skin apparantely! It’s dermatologist approved, covers very well and does not make me oily (but I don’t have oily skin). I LOVE this foundation. I was recently wearing CoverGirl sensitive skin foundation but found it did not cover well enough. I can’t seem to find a concealer I like more than BareMinerals so that is the one I still use. I know it’s probably not the best to use, but nothing is as good! I use their foundation as a concealer with a small brush to hide my pigmentation. I do absolutely LOVE the LM silk crème as well, just found it too expensive like you said!

I might have to mention those peels to my derm! All she seems to mention is microdermabrasion which I have had done before (while I had acne—idk why) and it did make my face feel very soft. I will have to bring those up with her. Yes stuff is super expensive!

You sound like me. :) An easy regimen that doesn’t freak your skin out! I always think: Well if I don’t have acne why should I treat my skin as if I do? But then I also think that you are just being pro active and are helping your skin incase you DO breakout. It goes either way! I do not use a toner. Do you notice it helps?

We are going to Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Cozumel! Posted Image Super excited!

Edited by Jamie Ann, 14 February 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#406 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Wow, I also would love to go on a cruise. Was years ago - to Bahamas. Also have been to Jamaica - you will have fun :)
I think micro is allowed only 6 months post Accutane, I know its very expensive so I will consider peels that are cheaper.
About foundation - I havent see Physician’s Formula anywhere yet, I should probably ask and check it out.

Mel.

I guess you were wondering about my hair loss... ? Yes, I started to experience it just about 1.5 months in Accutane, also thinning hair. It continued all the way through my 6 month course, it was getting worst and worst. My derm told me it is a side effect from Accutane and in rare cases it might be permanent (just as Accutane instructions say). My derm also told me it should go away, I hope my hair loss will stop soon (maybe few months?!) but so far I still experience some hair loss, maybe just little bit less.

For me, my skin was more important as I suffer acne for more than 10 years and I have lots of red scars that wont go away (also intends).. so I thought, well, I can wear a hat and treat my hair afterwards.. use some treatment for hair... I know it sounds silly but I am so happy my face is clear and no more painfyl cystic acne.
Try to use Biotin (that is good for hair) and also use some hair masks to hydrate your hair.

#407 Again!

Again!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Congrats on finishing!!! :)

I am counting down the days till I am able to get treatments done. I am also doing a very low-key regimen, w/out any harsh ingredients.

#408 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Congrats on finishing!!! Posted Image

I am counting down the days till I am able to get treatments done. I am also doing a very low-key regimen, w/out any harsh ingredients.

Good to know that most people are sticking with a low-key regimen! :D

2 weeks post-Accutane!

I am starting to feel normal again! My lips don't feel dry all the time, the dry spots on my skin have gone away. The only thing negative I can think of is that my hair is becoming oily again very quickly. :( I'm definitely gonna miss that about Accutane. My hair wouldn't get oily for like a week after washing (didn't ever go that long though!) and it was amazing since I have very thick hair that I don't like to straighten often.

I HAVEN'T HAD ANY ZITS/ACTIVES SINCE GOING OFF ACCUTANE. :D :D :D :D :D

So I honestly haven't had any zits since like October of last year....holy cow that feels AMAZING to say!

All I can say is...Accutane, you have done this girl good! :)

No complaints, keeping my fingers crossed that this keeps up.

Oh and I'm keeping with my simple face routine as of right now. I bought a Clarasonic but I'm not sure if I even wanna use it at all. Thoughts on this?

Here's my Accutane journey so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow, I was just looking back on this post. How thankful I am. <3 I need to take pictures and do a beginning to end montage. Couldn't be happier with where I am now compared to where I started. Sad to see how upsetting acne can make a person. Extremely thankful I made the Accutane decision. One of the best decisions of my life!

#409 sd85

sd85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for your journal. It was the one I read the day I decided to go on Accutane, and I have looked forward to reading it all through my course. I will be finished in a little over a month!

Thanks for your journal. It was the one I read the day I decided to go on Accutane, and I have looked forward to reading it all through my course. I will be finished in a little over a month!

Do you think your skin (not just your hair) has gotten more oily since stopping? I have loved not having oily skin!!

#410 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Do you think your skin (not just your hair) has gotten more oily since stopping? I have loved not having oily skin!!

Aw thank you! That means a lot! Posted Image Glad I can help in any way.

No I have not noticed my skin being too oily. It's actually quite dry still. But I think that might be the retin-a I am putting on after I wash my face. My skin was pretty oily to begin with so I'm hoping it doesn't go back to how it used to be. I agree with you, I hate having oily skin!

Edited by Jamie Ann, 24 February 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#411 NeedAMiracle!

NeedAMiracle!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thanks so much for making this log! I am starting Accutane soon and I'm like terrified because of the bad rep it has yanno? I turned it down so many times, but I am so done with acne and Im just goin for it finally. Your log gives me so much hope though and I read the whole thing in just a couple days. I hope mine goes as great as your course!!

#412 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks so much for making this log! I am starting Accutane soon and I'm like terrified because of the bad rep it has yanno? I turned it down so many times, but I am so done with acne and Im just goin for it finally. Your log gives me so much hope though and I read the whole thing in just a couple days. I hope mine goes as great as your course!!

Aw no problem! :) I wanted to share my experience w/ everyone because I like you was terrified when I first started out...reading these really helped me! Glad to pass it along. Good luck on your course, and I'm hoping you love this drug as much as I do! :) Just don't be scared for the initial breakout...because it'll most likely happen. If it's like mine it won't last long, just keep your head held high!

#413 NeedAMiracle!

NeedAMiracle!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yes I hope I love it as much as you do too!!:P but yeah so far they have helped me out a lot too. I try not to read all the negative ones anymore, cuz that'll just freak me out even more and I dont wanna change my mind about going on it after I finally decided to. But I know all about the bad side effects though, so I am not clueless about stuff that could happen. haha but yeah I am pretty scared of that though, I dont want it to look like horrible and disgusting, especially with school n everything:/ But oh well, ive dealt with acne for years, I can deal with an ititial breakout. Ha, ive already had to before anyways with all the topicals I have been on. I dont remember, roughly how long did your initial breakout last do you think, and do you remember when it started?

#414 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Yes I hope I love it as much as you do too!!Posted Image but yeah so far they have helped me out a lot too. I try not to read all the negative ones anymore, cuz that'll just freak me out even more and I dont wanna change my mind about going on it after I finally decided to. But I know all about the bad side effects though, so I am not clueless about stuff that could happen. haha but yeah I am pretty scared of that though, I dont want it to look like horrible and disgusting, especially with school n everything:/ But oh well, ive dealt with acne for years, I can deal with an ititial breakout. Ha, ive already had to before anyways with all the topicals I have been on. I dont remember, roughly how long did your initial breakout last do you think, and do you remember when it started?

You sound very prepared! :) Stay away from the negativity and you'll do just fine. <3 My initial started about 10 days in and lasted for about a week. I didn't know it at the time, that's probably why it's not in my blog too much. Just looking back on the pictures I took I can definitely tell I had an initial breakout.

#415 NeedAMiracle!

NeedAMiracle!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yup, thats what i'm just gonna try and do :) And ohh okay, thanks! Yeah hopefully mine doesn't get tooo bad, but we shall see. Haha and also when did you start to reallllly notice some results happening? I mean I could always just look back in your log and see kinda where you did, but I guess its just easier getting the direct answers here from you:b I know you did say around all month two though not much really happened.

#416 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hi Jamie,

Hope you are doing well. I was having few little breakouts here and there and was freaking out but I think they finally stopped.. hope so!
Anyways, you asked me about green tea as a toner and if it does anything.. honestly, I didnt see any results with that, so I stopped doing it.. :) Just wanted to let you know.
My derm gave me tons of samples of Finacea for scarring, and it dried out my scarring/pigmentation spots so bad, also made them really red, worst than before! So I stopped using this gel and use Vitamin E instead - just on scarring spots. I can already tell it works much better than Finacea I was using. So you may try that for your scars too.

Melinda.

#417 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yup, thats what i'm just gonna try and do Posted Image And ohh okay, thanks! Yeah hopefully mine doesn't get tooo bad, but we shall see. Haha and also when did you start to reallllly notice some results happening? I mean I could always just look back in your log and see kinda where you did, but I guess its just easier getting the direct answers here from you:b I know you did say around all month two though not much really happened.

Hmm, this is kind of hard to pin down! I just remember my acne gradually going away. I didn't get ANY new active breakouts after my initial breakout. I know my forehead acne was cleared by day 35. I remember thinking how I love how smooth my forehead was, and that I wasn't used to it! I did notice my pores becoming HUGE around week 2-3. I gradually got better after day 35 and up until month 2. My last zit was on October 1st or the very end of September. Looking back at my log I still had a few pimples on my cheeks (my worst area!) on September 21st.

Yeah, NOTHING happened up until the end of month 2. After my initial breakout like 1-2 weeks in it just gradually got better from there!

And this was a post of mine from September 29th. So pretty much exactly month 2.

Things are going great, aside from that! No actives on my skin. I love running my hands over my face (in the shower only of course Posted Image ) and feeling how smooth it is. It's insane how much progress I've made. I love having clear skin! Now only for my scarring to keep going away. Posted Image

So there ya go! Posted Image

Hi Jamie,

Hope you are doing well. I was having few little breakouts here and there and was freaking out but I think they finally stopped.. hope so!
Anyways, you asked me about green tea as a toner and if it does anything.. honestly, I didnt see any results with that, so I stopped doing it.. Posted Image Just wanted to let you know.
My derm gave me tons of samples of Finacea for scarring, and it dried out my scarring/pigmentation spots so bad, also made them really red, worst than before! So I stopped using this gel and use Vitamin E instead - just on scarring spots. I can already tell it works much better than Finacea I was using. So you may try that for your scars too.

Melinda.

Thanks for the tips! I haven't noticed the retin-a my derm prescribed to be helping much either. Have you given lemon juice a go? Thinking about doing that again. Problem is I live at college so it's a little tough to keep lemon juice and apply it every night! I can do it on weekends though. I'll definitely take up your options in the future. Posted Image My derm just said to try what she gave me for 3 months and if nothing has helped by then then we can think of treatments to try! She wants to try microdermabrasion.

Edited by Jamie Ann, 29 February 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#418 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

I tried lemon juice just couple of times.. I should continue.. just have to buy lemons, haha. Thanks for reminder!

I wanted to but Cetaphil cleanser and use it again but got scared of Sodium Sulfates in it and parabens, so will try Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleanser and I also bought Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hibiscus facial toner. Will give a try, I saw some other people on acne.org use it. I do not have any new breakout, so Im really happy.
And I am doing glycolic peels in the middle of this month (for pigmentation and scars). Will let you know how it goes!

Good luck in all!

#419 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I tried lemon juice just couple of times.. I should continue.. just have to buy lemons, haha. Thanks for reminder!

I wanted to but Cetaphil cleanser and use it again but got scared of Sodium Sulfates in it and parabens, so will try Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleanser and I also bought Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hibiscus facial toner. Will give a try, I saw some other people on acne.org use it. I do not have any new breakout, so Im really happy.
And I am doing glycolic peels in the middle of this month (for pigmentation and scars). Will let you know how it goes!

Good luck in all!

Please let me know how those go! Because my pigmentation does not seem to be fading whatsoever. Posted Image

ONE MONTH POST ACCUTANE!

Well hey all you lovely people! It has officially been one month since I last took an Accutane pill. Time flies! I still do not have any actives. Posted Image Posted Image Excuse me while I jump for joy!!!!! I hope all you people reading this that have acne can experience the joy I experience being acne-free. I will never take it for granted. Ever. <3

I still am dealing with pigmentation and it does not seem to be going away at all, even on Retin-a. So I will continue my 2 months of this and then see what the derm recommends for treatment of these marks. I know my skin just will need time to heal on its own, so I'll have to see what she recommends.

Hope you all have a great day! Posted Image

Edited by Jamie Ann, 07 March 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#420 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Happy to hear you have no activities and congrats with 1 month post Accutane!
I did not try lemon juice yet but trying vitamin e and I can tell it helps. Its been about 1 month and a half post accutane and using vitamin e every night and morning. Try that, you wont see results fast, but after about 1 month you should (at least i do).
I am almost acne free, time to time I still have little tiny zit, but its very very small and goes away by itself in 1-3 days, so I try to ignore it.
My face is still very very sensitive so I have decided not to do my peel so soon. I am just affraid to make it even worst, so I will wait at least 2 more months.

P.S. I noticed my skin improve from using Alba Sea Lettuce Cleansing Milk - it was a hastle to find it (finally got it at Whole Foods) but it works really well and when using this, I havent gotten a zit since. This cleasner does not contain Sodium Sulfates, parabens or soap.

Good luck in all!

Edited by MelindaOne, 08 March 2012 - 02:27 PM.