This topic is archived.
441 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Here's my story. I'm Jamie. 18 and going off to college in August (probably my main reason for choosing to go on Accutane now!) I've dealt with acne since I was about 14-15 or so. I've had it every since. You name a gel, 3-step system, pills, anything...I've tried it. And nothing's worked.

My brother went on Accutane last year and cleared up his skin TREMENDOUSLY. He doesn't have a single blemish whatsoever! This should have been a trigger in my brain to start Accutane but I didn't. I kept thinking other treatments would work...and they didn't. Plus I always used to think Accutane was for horrible cystic acne. But I went to the dermatologist last week and found out otherwise.

I am now going to be taking my first Accutane pill by the end of this week! I am looking forward to great skin, just not the side effects. I hope I get lucky like my brother and cousin and just get the chapped lips (I'm ready with tubes and tubes of chapstick already!) and the dry nose and face area. That's really the only side effects he had.

He also cleared up within the first month. Which I am hoping to have as great of success with it as he did! I am just ready to get rid of acne once and for all. I've dealt with this stuff for too long.

So this is my Accutane log, and vlog possibly on youtube, not sure yet.

I go in to get my blood drawn on Tuesday and will hopefully be swallowing my first pill by Thursday. Wish me luck! <3

About to start my 2nd round of Accutane.

Feel free to message me concerning all things Accutane since I am well experienced. smile.png

My 1st log: http://www.acne.org/...n-accutane-log/

#2 elle.beth

elle.beth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Ann @ Jun 25 2011, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's my story. I'm Jamie. 18 and going off to college in August (probably my main reason for choosing to go on Accutane now!) I've dealt with acne since I was about 14-15 or so. I've had it every since. You name a gel, 3-step system, pills, anything...I've tried it. And nothing's worked.

My brother went on Accutane last year and cleared up his skin TREMENDOUSLY. He doesn't have a single blemish whatsoever! This should have been a trigger in my brain to start Accutane but I didn't. I kept thinking other treatments would work...and they didn't. Plus I always used to think Accutane was for horrible cystic acne. But I went to the dermatologist last week and found out otherwise.

I am now going to be taking my first Accutane pill by the end of this week! I am looking forward to great skin, just not the side effects. I hope I get lucky like my brother and cousin and just get the chapped lips (I'm ready with tubes and tubes of chapstick already!) and the dry nose and face area. That's really the only side effects he had.

He also cleared up within the first month. Which I am hoping to have as great of success with it as he did! I am just ready to get rid of acne once and for all. I've dealt with this stuff for too long.

I go in to get my blood drawn on Tuesday and will hopefully be swallowing my first pill by Thursday. Wish me luck! <3

You went to your derm last week and get to start accutane next week? i have to wait a MONTH..how did you get them to give it to you so fast?

month 1 (7/12/11) - 40 mg amnesteem
month 2 - 60 mg claravis
month 3 - 60 mg claravis

#3 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (elle.beth @ Jun 25 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You went to your derm last week and get to start accutane next week? i have to wait a MONTH..how did you get them to give it to you so fast?

Yes! I am not sure. I am seeing a nurse practitioner and she's really easy to get appointments with. Maybe it's because she's not as busy as an actual doctor is?

Why do you have to wait a month? Is it for all your stuff to come in or is it to wait for appointments?

Feel free to message me concerning all things Accutane since I am well experienced. smile.png

#4 elle.beth

elle.beth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Ann @ Jun 25 2011, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (elle.beth @ Jun 25 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! I am not sure. I am seeing a nurse practitioner and she's really easy to get appointments with. Maybe it's because she's not as busy as an actual doctor is?

Why do you have to wait a month? Is it for all your stuff to come in or is it to wait for appointments?

I was told you need to have 2 negative pregnancy tests, 30 days apart, before ipledge will let you get a prescription. So I did the first one that day, and will do the next one in a few weeks. Total waste of time since I haven't had sex in over 9 months....I told the derm that and they said it didnt matter (and, i've been on birth control for 7 years so theres LITERALLY no way its possible).

month 2 - 60 mg claravis
month 3 - 60 mg claravis

#5 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

I've heard of some derms saying that but mine didn't require that! I only had to have one negative test then you can start. Be patient and good luck!

#6 darkmatter

darkmatter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

good luck! make sure to update biggrin.gif

#7 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (darkmatter @ Jun 25 2011, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good luck! make sure to update biggrin.gif

Thank you, and I definitely will! smile.gif

#8 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Getting my blood taken tomorrow. sad.gif Not looking forward to it. What I AM looking forward to is raising my self confidence. Who's with me?!? I'm tired of this stuff ruining my life.

#9 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

So I DO have to wait 30 days. And I'm so pissed. AS IF BEING A GIRL ISN'T HARD ENOUGH.

#10 elle.beth

elle.beth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

That stinks! My derm also told me i have to do it in the 1st 5 days of my period. I think its going to work out that i will do the bloodwork july 11.

month 2 - 60 mg claravis
month 3 - 60 mg claravis

#11 Again!

Again!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I know, it's so stupid! Do you guys realize that the only reason we even have to go through this is because of the makers of accutane, Roche? Basically, they screwed all of us in the US. Their 30 year patent ran out and so too many people were using generic and they were losing a ton of money and it just wasn't worth it for them to keep selling in the US.

The story gets better. For years people have been suing them and since they made so much money, it was worth fighting everyone. But, right before they left the US, they spent tons of money creating ipleade. Err! They suck! What poor sports
29 Year Old Female
Started Claravis 7/14/11
6 Months @ 80mg a Day
Ended 1/13/12

A grand total of 14,400mg!
If I'm correct, at 60kg that comes to 240mg per kg.
I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:
Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well
Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up
Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Lush Facial Cream-Use at night
Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer
Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it
Sunblock For Face-"MyChelle" Replenishing Solar Defense-Use in Morning
Make-up:
Primer-"Giorgio Armani" Fluid Master Primer-Before Foundation
Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush
Concealer-"YSL" Anti-Cernes
Loose Setting Powder-"Giorgio Armani" Micro-Fil Loose Powder
Bronzer Powder-"Smashbox" Bronze Lights
Blush-"Dior" Glowing Powder Blush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

#12 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (elle.beth @ Jun 28 2011, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That stinks! My derm also told me i have to do it in the 1st 5 days of my period. I think its going to work out that i will do the bloodwork july 11.

My doctor didn't say that (fingers crossed!) I hope my 30 days go by fast. It actually makes me depressed that I have to wait that long. :/ I shoulda made the Accutane decision years ago! But I really hope it works for you and I wish you good luck! Keep me updated. smile.gif

#13 Again!

Again!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

I know, it's so stupid! Do you guys realize that the only reason we even have to go through this is because of the makers of accutane, Roche? Basically, they screwed all of us in the US. Their 30 year patent ran out and so too many people were using generic and they were losing a ton of money and it just wasn't worth it for them to keep selling in the US.

The story gets better. For years people have been suing them and since they made so much money, it was worth fighting everyone. But, right before they left the US, they spent tons of money creating ipleade. Err! They suck! What poor sports.
29 Year Old Female
Started Claravis 7/14/11
6 Months @ 80mg a Day
Ended 1/13/12

A grand total of 14,400mg!
If I'm correct, at 60kg that comes to 240mg per kg.
I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:
Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well
Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up
Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Lush Facial Cream-Use at night
Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer
Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it
Sunblock For Face-"MyChelle" Replenishing Solar Defense-Use in Morning
Make-up:
Primer-"Giorgio Armani" Fluid Master Primer-Before Foundation
Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush
Concealer-"YSL" Anti-Cernes
Loose Setting Powder-"Giorgio Armani" Micro-Fil Loose Powder
Bronzer Powder-"Smashbox" Bronze Lights
Blush-"Dior" Glowing Powder Blush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

#14 philopian tube

philopian tube

XD

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hey good luck with Accutane! smile.gif

#15 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Nostradamus @ Jun 28 2011, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey good luck with Accutane! smile.gif

Hey thanks!

So in order for me to wait out my 30 days my derm suggested using a calming facial cleanser and I bought Cetaphil. I love this stuff! Really doesn't irritate the skin at all. And she put me back on Differin. It's actually kinda working sorta? Fingers crossed, but I will probably (well, definitely!) still be going on accutane. I want my acne to end permanently, not be using cremes to treat acne as an adult. So, I go back to the docs on July 25st and will start my first pack of pills then. I will keep you all updated.

#16 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

I wanted to share some pics with you guys while I wait out the rest of my 30 days before going on Accutane. I WOULD NEVER SHOW THESE PICS ANYWHERE ELSE just an fyi haha. I can't believe I'm even posting these on here. Well here it goes.

Has anyone ever tried extractions before? I had success with that but my acne eventually came back. THEY HURT LIKE SHIITTTT. It's basically like a little needle poking all your little spots. Horrible. And I've heard it's even really bad for wrinkles when you reach that age. Like, it ruins your skin. I dunno. I stopped after about two sessions. The first and second picture is what my skin looked like after the extractions (horrible, eh?)

It goes away within the next morning but still horrible and damaging to the skin.

Now, the next picture is results a few days after extractions. Have some makeup on here, but not much! Really helped my forehead acne. But like I said, it came back.

The 4th picture is me bare-faced, a few weeks after extractions. My acne is significantly better!

The 5th is when my acne came back like it was before the extractions. This was when I was using proactiv.

The 6th, 7th, and 8th pictures are me today.

I'm on duac as of now and I'm seeing some improvement actually. My question to you is this...

Oh and the last picture is me with makeup on (about a medium coverage).

Okay, back to my question. Honestly most of my acne issues are scarring and redness. I don't have many active pimples. I know going on accutane is like my last resort thing but I've just been reading a lot about it lately and it just seems rough and scary. Plus I'll be living with a roommate this coming August just her and I, and I don't know her that well and going on Accutane seems like a scary thing when I'll be far from home.

I SHOULD HAVE USED THIS YEARS AGO. ninja.gif

EDIT: Okay, so the last one is one I JUST took. I feel like my skin gets less and less red by the hour after I wash it. And I use a very gentle facial cleanser. Anyone else experience this? My skin hates me oaegnroagrnkd.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo_on_2011_04_07_at_19.31.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_04_07_at_19.31__3.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_04_15_at_11.21__2.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_05_11_at_15.35.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_06_19_at_10.04.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_07_03_at_22.17.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_07_03_at_22.18.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_07_03_at_19.01__5.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_07_03_at_19.01__3.jpg
  • Photo_on_2011_07_04_at_00.07__2.jpg

Edited by Jamie Ann, 03 July 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#17 elle.beth

elle.beth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Jamie Ann @ Jul 4 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to share some pics with you guys while I wait out the rest of my 30 days before going on Accutane. I WOULD NEVER SHOW THESE PICS ANYWHERE ELSE just an fyi haha. I can't believe I'm even posting these on here. Well here it goes.

Has anyone ever tried extractions before? I had success with that but my acne eventually came back. THEY HURT LIKE SHIITTTT. It's basically like a little needle poking all your little spots. Horrible. And I've heard it's even really bad for wrinkles when you reach that age. Like, it ruins your skin. I dunno. I stopped after about two sessions. The first and second picture is what my skin looked like after the extractions (horrible, eh?)

It goes away within the next morning but still horrible and damaging to the skin.

Now, the next picture is results a few days after extractions. Have some makeup on here, but not much! Really helped my forehead acne. But like I said, it came back.

The 4th picture is me bare-faced, a few weeks after extractions. My acne is significantly better!

The 5th is when my acne came back like it was before the extractions. This was when I was using proactiv.

I'm on duac as of now and I'm seeing some improvement actually. My question to you is this...

Okay, back to my question. Honestly most of my acne issues are scarring and redness. I don't have many active pimples. I know going on accutane is like my last resort thing but I've just been reading a lot about it lately and it just seems rough and scary. Plus I'll be living with a roommate this coming August just her and I, and I don't know her that well and going on Accutane seems like a scary thing when I'll be far from home.

EDIT: Okay, so the last one is one I JUST took. I feel like my skin gets less and less red by the hour after I wash it. And I use a very gentle facial cleanser. Anyone else experience this? My skin hates me oaegnroagrnkd.

I am jealous Duac is working for you! My derm put me on it while I was waiting to do Accutane (only like 6 more days hopefully!) and my skin is AWFUL. Worse than it was without it for sure, and breaking out in areas I don't usually break out in. I am hoping this will somehow lessen the IB on Accutane...but I am afraid it's only getting me prepared. Personally, I think if you read about any drug enough it can sound scary.

month 2 - 60 mg claravis
month 3 - 60 mg claravis

#18 Jamie Ann

Jamie Ann

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (elle.beth @ Jul 6 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jamie Ann @ Jul 4 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am jealous Duac is working for you! My derm put me on it while I was waiting to do Accutane (only like 6 more days hopefully!) and my skin is AWFUL. Worse than it was without it for sure, and breaking out in areas I don't usually break out in. I am hoping this will somehow lessen the IB on Accutane...but I am afraid it's only getting me prepared. Personally, I think if you read about any drug enough it can sound scary.

Yeah you're right about that! I may have spoken too soon though. I just had a breakout. I think it's my birth control kinda keeping me about normal right now cause I'm on my period now (ie not taking the pills). SO, I'm not sure which is helping me more, the birth control or duac! But duac is one of my favorite products because it doesn't dry me out and my skin is supppperrr sensitive! YES I start taking my accutane in about 2 weeks! So pumped. Good luck with yours!! smile.gif

EDIT: I'm so damn scared of the IB. I'm hoping I'll be over it before I move to college. I've heard most experience it before the first month is over. And I've got about a month and a week of taking accutane before I leave for school.

Edited by Jamie Ann, 07 July 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#19 Streetwalker

Streetwalker

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

You're gorgeous! I have a friend with acne that looks just like yours and hers went away reallllyyy quick when she got on Accutane. I think it was because they were really just surface blemishes, like yours look to be. Not really cystic or anything. Good luck with accutane! I just started month 3 and my IB is finally going away, most important thing on accutane is to just have a positive attitude and use LOTS of moisturizer/lip balm.
Congratulations!!

#20 coco45

coco45

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

good luck with accutane! I can believe you have to wait 30 days!!! I went in, took a blood test, got results and started the next day. Guess thats a good thing about being a guy? My acne is significantly worse tho!