This topic is archived.
17 replies to this topic

#1 biovball

biovball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

I am new here, and just decided that I need some serious help with my acne. It keeps getting worse and worse, no matter what medication I use.
I know a major problem is my picking. I know it makes it worse, but once I start I just can't stop. It's really gross but it just feels so good to do for some reason. How can I stop this?
Oh yeah and I've tried lots of medications. I used proactiv when I had mild to moderate acne (didn't work) and then I got put on tetracycline (also didn't work). Then I visited a dermatologist and he put me on Differin and minocycline. I can't really tell if they've worked yet because I keep picking at it. It gets better, then gets worse, then a little better, and now it's worse. Right now I'm in my hotel room in Arizona because we are having a family reunion tomorrow, and I dread everyone seeing me like this. It's also really red.

Attached Files

#2 changedmynamefinally

changedmynamefinally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Well, you can either pick at it, and have scars/red marks for the rest of your life, or you can leave it alone and it will recover in a few years MAX. How do you feel when you look in the mirror when you see your acne? Because every time you're about to pick, think of that feeling and then imagine feeling like that the rest of your life. That's what will happen if you continue to pick.

#3 biovball

biovball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (ptl93 @ Jun 23 2011, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you can either pick at it, and have scars/red marks for the rest of your life, or you can leave it alone and it will recover in a few years MAX. How do you feel when you look in the mirror when you see your acne? Because every time you're about to pick, think of that feeling and then imagine feeling like that the rest of your life. That's what will happen if you continue to pick.

I know, I know it will end up worse. But for some reason it doesn't stop me. I've had other habits like this (picking nails, pulling hair out) and I think I may have OCD. I keep telling myself it will just make it more messed up, but I'll just be laying down and suddenly my hands are picking away on my face. It's like I can't even control it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and for some reason in those pics it looks worse than it actually is. But its still pretty bad, though.

Edited by biovball, 23 June 2011 - 05:23 PM.

#4 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (biovball @ Jun 23 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know, I know it will end up worse. But for some reason it doesn't stop me. I've had other habits like this (picking nails, pulling hair out) and I think I may have OCD. I keep telling myself it will just make it more messed up, but I'll just be laying down and suddenly my hands are picking away on my face. It's like I can't even control it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and for some reason in those pics it looks worse than it actually is. But its still pretty bad, though.

It's the lighting. Try taking pictures with the light on next time XD Everyone's skin looks like poop in the dark.

You must stop picking! I know hands down my face wouldn't look as bad as it does if I would just stop picking. Most of my marks aren't even zits anymore, but scabs from old zits that I won't let heal because I can't stop picking at them.

I am trying my hardest to stop picking because my face is the worst it's ever gotten. You need to think of how bad you feel AND LOOK after you pick each time your hand touches your face. If you have an itch, scratch it with your knuckle. Your skin WILL improve if you stop picking.

Edited by CottonCandi, 23 June 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#5 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

DON'T PICK AT YOUR ACNE OR POP YOUR PIMPLES! That's a definite no no. I don't do this for ANY of my acne (be it face, back, chest, neck, upper arms, shoulders; yeah, I have it in a lot of areas, I know). That's why I think I won't have that much scarring (I have moderate acne if your wondering). One thing to help you where you won't be as tempted to pick or pop your pimples is DON'T LOOK IN THE MIRROR!! Obviously, if you don't look in the mirror, you won't know what pimples are ready to pop, and you won't pop them (which will lessen the chances of scarring significantly). Another reason not to look in the mirror is that you'll more than likely be dissappointed in what you see (take it from me, I know) and you'll end up getting sad or very angry. Getting sad or angry are just other words for STRESS and stress just makes acne worse. That's why I look in the mirror once every 14 days (2 weeks) to shave and that's it. Once I'm done shaving, I'm out of there and I'll look again in 2 weeks. Try not looking in the mirror and see if that helps your picking problem. If it doesn't, just try your hardest to keep your hands away from your face (or wherever else you have acne). For the record, I used to ALWAYS pick at my acne when I first started getting acne when I turned 16 in 2009 (prior to that I had 95 % clear skin everywhere) but in 2010 I decided to stop picking and popping because I knew it was just making matters worse. I haven't picked or popped (if I ever pop, it's VERY rare) since then. 2 years. It can be done.

Edited by Kody_R_F, 23 June 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#6 Clare M.

Clare M.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

What about Accutane?

#7 supervixen007

supervixen007

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

Stop using the Proactiv! I used it for 2 years, and one day it stopped working. It's extremely harsh, and the moment I stopped using it, my skin got better. Keep your cleansing simple. I'm a compulsive skin picker myself...if it was so easy to stop picking, we all would have done so by now! You're not alone, glad you stopped by at acne.org. The way you treat your skin, is the way it's going to look. If you're kind to it, it will be kinder to you in the long run. No abrasive cleansers, BP, perhaps a nice AHA every other day, and plenty of moisturizer.

#8 biovball

biovball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the help and support. I haven't picked my acne much recently and it does look a little better, although sometimes I will look in the mirror, see some dead skin pealing off, and then try to pull all of that off. It stings so much afterwards and I just feel horrible sad.gif
I'll take the advice of not looking in the mirror, it's going to be hard but I definitely think it will help.
I haven't tried Accutane because it has a long list of side effects, but will have to resort to it if nothing else works.
Oh and I quit Proactiv a while ago; now I'm on Differin and Minocycline. I also use a Neutrogena acne wash with salicylic acid.

#9 Luis909

Luis909

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

yeah i know how u feel man....but trust me dont pick at it..i always did that and now i have scars ...dont do it...try finishing differin and then try asking ur doctor for benzaclin..it worked well for me....and yeah im always depressed because of it..but just try not to give it so much importance

#10 biovball

biovball

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

Thank you, it's been nice looking at this site and knowing there are others who are going through the same things I am. I'm only 15 which worries me, because people have been telling me it only gets worse later in high school. I have been refraining from picking more than usual today; I have this HUGE....thing...to the right of my bottom lip. It has been a big zit and now its covered with this white and yellow scab. It seems like I need to rip it off, ugh. Does this mean it's healing? A bunch of my pimples are starting to get orange stuff around them. My mom said that means they are healing, but I'm worried they are getting infected. My minocycline really doesn't seem to be doing much. I actually think Proactiv worked much better than my current regimen and may go back to that. I'm not using any benzoyl peroxide right now, should I add that into my routine?

#11 amieagain

amieagain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

if it's cystic, go on accutane. if not....you need to throw away the proactive and use something that will work. you derm should have a line in his office that is for acne. you could also check out the new line of acne products by glytone. (google gyltone acne line). it works as well as other more expensive ones.

#12 Clare M.

Clare M.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (biovball @ Jun 24 2011, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, it's been nice looking at this site and knowing there are others who are going through the same things I am. I'm only 15 which worries me, because people have been telling me it only gets worse later in high school. I have been refraining from picking more than usual today; I have this HUGE....thing...to the right of my bottom lip. It has been a big zit and now its covered with this white and yellow scab. It seems like I need to rip it off, ugh. Does this mean it's healing? A bunch of my pimples are starting to get orange stuff around them. My mom said that means they are healing, but I'm worried they are getting infected. My minocycline really doesn't seem to be doing much. I actually think Proactiv worked much better than my current regimen and may go back to that. I'm not using any benzoyl peroxide right now, should I add that into my routine?

How long have you been on the minocycline? You need to definitely give it time to work - probably a month or two. And since it is an antibiotic, it is only a short-term fix. I've heard BP and differin work really well in combination. I'm using both BP and differin and although it took awhile to see a difference, I have noticed a big change.

#13 Kyle H

Kyle H

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

What's your diet like? Never rule out the possibility that there's something agitating your skin such as dairy or gluten. Eliminating both helped improve my acne over time, so maybe visiting some holistic sites would help out. Look up The Love Vitamin. Tracy's got great ideas on there!

Also, always take into consideration that if a strict chemical routine for your face doesn't work, you may need to eliminate an element. For years I put Salicylic Acid on my fact at morning and night, but switching it to one time a day helped in its effectiveness and lessened the redness. Now I'm also using Neutrogena, but go with the Gentle Foaming cleanser at night; your face will thank you! It was suggested by my dermatologist and has definitely been helpful.

To me it's surprising your derm didn't put you on an antibiotic/oral medication to try and clear it up before giving a topical. I'm glad to see you threw that Proactive away because, much like others, it EFFED up my skin. Seriously. Scorn that stuff the furthest depths of Hell.

Chin up, no MIRROR LOOKING (also helped me a ton), and if you do go to look, here's my advice: imagine yourself at an absolute worst. Covered. From the scalp to the neck in giant, cystic bumps. You'll soon discover how much worse things can be even if they seem desperate now. I'm sure you're going to recover smoothly! Good luck!

#14 Ihavenoface

Ihavenoface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:20 AM

Picking can create (allows different types of bacteria to enter skin) or prolong acne. If you really can't stop, psychotherapies and some psychotheraputic medications can help with the impulse to pick -- it may be worth looking into these, as you could cut your acne experience right down timewise if you can find a way to stop touching/picking. Just ask your doctor. You mentioned that you feel you have OCD tendencies, this can also be treated quite simply with psychotherapies, and/or medication.

Any acne treatment you receive, like antibiotics, will not be able to clear you as efficiently, or as quick as long as the skin is in wound-mode. It's a two-sided approach to solving a medical condition, you have a responsibility to yourself to do everything you can to support the treatment you receive if you really want it to improve. The skin must heal, acne is really the skin trying to heal, picking reverses this process. You can heal, this is something the body is good at with the correct approach and support. Do all you can do for yourself, and leave the rest to your chosen medical approach. Time is a bitch, but without it there is no healing. You'll be OK.

Good luck.

#15 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Please visit the nutrition and holistic health sub forum on here. There are many people there who have struggled like you, and they cleared their acne through simple diet changes. I once had mild acne and after eliminating dairy, it's gone.

#16 AcneExposed

AcneExposed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:02 AM

you really need moisture in your skin, you are deeply red.

#17 scarlettlevittxoxo

scarlettlevittxoxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

SERIOUSLY DONT PICK AT YOUR FACE. You dont have severe acne at all, you probably have mild or moderate but when you pick at it, it makes it look severe. So seriously, stop picking at your face. I picked at my skin for a while, and it made my skin look 10000000x worse than it actually was and it made me VERY depressed. SO get over yourself and take your hands away from your face. For about two weeks, only wash your face with baby soap or a very gentle cleanser twice a day, to let your skin heal. After your skin heals invest in an acne cleanser. I use a combination of biore blemish fighting ice cleanser, acnefree purifying cleanser, and baking soda. ( i put a little of each in my hand, mix it in my hand, rub it on my face, wait about 20 seconds and wash it off.) I do this twice a day and i also use a mint julep mask twice a week.

If you ever need to talk to someone, or have any questions, Im here.
scarlettlevittxoxo@yahoo.com

#18 Chris1337

Chris1337

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hey I know how you feel.
http://i28.photobuck...hipMan/acne.jpg

this was me for almost 10 years, sometimes worse sometimes better. This picture I was using products from derms and stuff.

The yellow is weeping from the skin. You can kind of see it in some of my photo. I do not believe my acne was caused by acne bacteria. It didn't really cause me many problems other then looking bad, especially around my lips. DONT PICK. I did this for too longs, trying to pop my huge cysts, I have a ton of scars now. Wish I never did it.

I know your 15 and its tough but you need to try to look into your diet. Seriously give a strict healthy diet a month and you should see results. If not what did you lose? A candida diet is great even if that's not the problem. It avoids highly intolerant foods and doesn't spike your blood sugar. Im 21 and it took me 9 years to figure it out. Im nearly clear ,You can do it, you just have to experiment. Proactive, Acne free, all that crap is garbage. Dans BP is the best Ive tried but diet was the real changer for me.