Photo

HOW TO GET RID OF EXCESSIVE FACIAL OIL?

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aglaeca

Aglaeca

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

hey! can someone please help me reduce excessive oil on my facial skin? Its kinda really irritating when its gets oily and its very difficult to socialize with people. I hae tried everything in my life including accutane! Accutane reduced oil drastically but was kinda killing me from inside. So I told my derm I was going to get off that med. Also I have an acne prone skin. Acne is not a problem now like it was before but my facial oily skin is taking a toll on my life! I use Neutrogena oil free facial cleanser to wash my face. I wash my face three times a day. Sometimes four. I have a strict oil free diet and also I drink lots of water like easy 2 liters a day. sad.gif PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND FREE ME FROM THIS MISERY! Thanks! smile.gif
When life throws you lemons… Chuck them right back and say, ‘I ordered a martini, Waiter!'

#2 lostintravise

lostintravise

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

Over-washing your face can dry it out and thus have your face produce more oil than is necessary. 2 times a day is the recommended amount.

Also, are you using a moisturizer? Moisturizers, while it may seem counter-intuitive, help prevent excessive oil production. By re-hydrating (e.g. introducing water) your skin with a moisturizer you are preventing your face from thinking it is too dry, and thus preventing it from (over) compensating for that and producing too much oil.

So, use a non-comedogenic face moisturizer and only wash your face twice a day.

Edited by lostintravise, 17 June 2011 - 12:13 PM.

My oily, moderate-severe-acne skin on the acne.org regimen blog: http://www.acne.org/...p...logid=5077

#3 Aglaeca

Aglaeca

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (lostintravise @ Jun 18 2011, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over-washing your face can dry it out and thus have your face produce more oil than is necessary. 2 times a day is the recommended amount.

Also, are you using a moisturizer? Moisturizers, while it may seem counter-intuitive, help prevent excessive oil production. By re-hydrating (e.g. introducing water) your skin with a moisturizer you are preventing your face from thinking it is too dry, and thus preventing it from (over) compensating for that and producing too much oil.

So, use a non-comedogenic face moisturizer and only wash your face twice a day.

Ok, are neutrogena moisturizers any good? can you recommend a good moisturizer coz I don't wanna take any more risks with my face since it is very acne prone. eusa_wall.gif
When life throws you lemons… Chuck them right back and say, ‘I ordered a martini, Waiter!'

#4 lostintravise

lostintravise

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Aglaeca @ Jun 17 2011, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, are neutrogena moisturizers any good? can you recommend a good moisturizer coz I don't wanna take any more risks with my face since it is very acne prone. eusa_wall.gif

I feel your pain because I have oily and very acne prone skin as well. I have never used a Neutrogena moisturizer, but I have been using Dan's moisturizer with great success, and before that I was using Cerave moisturizing lotion. This one in particular: http://www.acne.org/.../411/page1.html

Dan has compiled a great list of ingredients and things that you should look for when looking for a moisturizer. Just scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.acne.org/...ucts-guide.html

Edited by lostintravise, 18 June 2011 - 08:41 AM.

My oily, moderate-severe-acne skin on the acne.org regimen blog: http://www.acne.org/...p...logid=5077

#5 AsianJock84

AsianJock84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Aglaeca @ Jun 16 2011, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey! can someone please help me reduce excessive oil on my facial skin? Its kinda really irritating when its gets oily and its very difficult to socialize with people. I hae tried everything in my life including accutane! Accutane reduced oil drastically but was kinda killing me from inside. So I told my derm I was going to get off that med. Also I have an acne prone skin. Acne is not a problem now like it was before but my facial oily skin is taking a toll on my life! I use Neutrogena oil free facial cleanser to wash my face. I wash my face three times a day. Sometimes four. I have a strict oil free diet and also I drink lots of water like easy 2 liters a day. sad.gif PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND FREE ME FROM THIS MISERY! Thanks! smile.gif

Clean and Clear oil absorbing sheets...or if you have a target in your area, they sell their target brand with more sheets per box and cheaper...its about 4 bucks for 70 sheets. use a couple of those throughout the day. I have oily skin after the regimen too....it'll be a lifesaver. its bothersome, but you gotta do it. keep it in your wallet/purse.
Medical Student (feel free to ask me any questions, I want to help as much as I can)

Regimen:
Morning: Dan's moisturizer with Dan's jojoba oil after washing with Dan's cleanser
Night: Dan's BP immediately after shower/washing, dry, Dan's moisturizer with Dan's Jojoba.

#6 DesiAngel

DesiAngel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yeah i have massive oilyness on my face, its so oily i could make a fortune out of it...hehehe fail joke XD

But i constantly blot every 2 hours at least, sometimes even every hour with just paper towels. I need them soo much, its not worth buying blotting papers, but if you want to then you can.

I've seen that washing my face twice is enough and more than that just leads to irritation. It doesnt change the fact that my skin produces oil constantly, its gonna happen whether i wash it or not.

Also for a good moisturizer, i have two that i use; one for the indoors and one if im going outside.

Neutrogena Combination Skin is a good facial lotion, that is so light and doesnt make a shiny for like a long time. Its one of the best I've seen around.

Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 30 Sunblock is also very matte but you have to use a pea size amount and rub it in thoroughly. It can get oily if you use too much of it.

Both of them you can get from drugstores for a reasonable price. I find that these two work the best, unless you consider high end products.

Good luck smile.gif

#7 strawbbie

strawbbie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

Yea, i have the same problem too. My face is so shiny when i woke up. However, my forehead does not have zits even though its oily. Whereas, my cheeks that is less oily tends to have zits and whiteheads. Wonder whats wrong.

#8 Cocobo

Cocobo

Nyanyanyanyanyan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (strawbbie @ Jun 30 2011, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, i have the same problem too. My face is so shiny when i woke up. However, my forehead does not have zits even though its oily. Whereas, my cheeks that is less oily tends to have zits and whiteheads. Wonder whats wrong.

Oily skin doesn't mean your skin is acne prone. It's all about how your pores respond to the oil. Sometimes they clog, sometimes they don't. No one knows why.
Hi, I'm Kaila.
I do the DKR with Cetaphil cleanser once a day (usually at night) and 1/2 dose BP. Sometimes I use AHA+ in addition to moisturizer but not much anymore. 100% clear for months and months! (Keep in mind that when I started, I needed to do the full-blown Regimen for 3 months before I could start cutting back)
Feel free to PM me!
Sorry for being gone so much. I'm trying hard to be here for you guys more.

#9 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

hey! can someone please help me reduce excessive oil on my facial skin? Its kinda really irritating when its gets oily and its very difficult to socialize with people. I hae tried everything in my life including accutane! Accutane reduced oil drastically but was kinda killing me from inside. So I told my derm I was going to get off that med. Also I have an acne prone skin. Acne is not a problem now like it was before but my facial oily skin is taking a toll on my life! I use Neutrogena oil free facial cleanser to wash my face. I wash my face three times a day. Sometimes four. I have a strict oil free diet and also I drink lots of water like easy 2 liters a day. Posted Image PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND FREE ME FROM THIS MISERY! Thanks! Posted Image

To my amazement the application of yogurt on oily skin for 1/2 hour gets rid of oil. The only kid I've tried was Fage non fat. If you search "yogurt mask" on Make-Up Alley you will find reviews. So simple, yet so effective. I am not sure about daily use though.