Photo

Epigenetics--What You Do To Yourself Changes Your Gene Expression

genes genetics acne diet phenotype epigenetics methylation accutane epigenetics changes

66 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

articles on research on the effects of inflammation on epigenetic changes

Epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene expression that do not involve changes in the DNA sequence. Epigenetic mechanisms play important roles in development from a fertilized egg into a complex human being, as well as in aging and in various diseases (including cancer). Study topics such as DNA methylation, histone modification, RNAi, cancer epigenetics, stem cells and the environment (for example, nutrition and stress) as potential modifiers of the human epigenome.

http://www.news-medi...f-Medicine.aspx Please can you give a brief introduction to epigenetics?

Epigenetics refers to processes of inheritance that are not directly dependent on DNA sequences and mutations, such as the mechanisms that cause children born to metabolically stressed mothers to develop metabolic disease when the children reach adulthood.

Epigenetics can also refer to the interactions of proteins with chromatin, the packaging material of DNA; these interactions also do not depend directly on the DNA sequences, but on the nature of the packaging material itself. DNA sequencing and human genomic information can tell us almost nothing about an epigenetic process.

How can genetically identical cells express their genes differently without DNA sequence changes?

The controlling regions of genes, called ‘promoters’ or ‘enhancers’ are packaged into chromatin, which can be permanently marked by epigenetic ‘writer’ enzymes, such as histone acetylases, and read in daughter cells by ‘reader’ proteins, such as bromodomain proteins. These marks can dramatically affect gene expression in otherwise genetically identical cells.

DNA itself can be marked by epigenetic writer enzymes, such as DNA methylases, and read by yet other proteins to change gene expression. Yet in none of these cases has the DNA been mutated or the genetic sequences altered; so that daughter cells can have very different gene expression, yet be genetically identical.  .... info in study on mice that indicate its chronic inflammation not obesity that lead to diabetes.......then...

How important do you think the study of epigenetics will be in the future of medicine?

Epigenetics is a critical new area of research. The Dutch ‘Hunger Winter’ of 1944 – 1945 taught us about the importance and long-lasting impact of maternal starvation, which apparently transmitted cardiometabolic risk epigenetically from the deprived, pregnant mothers to their unborn children.

New research with rodent models is showing us that inflammation in the uterine environment can epigenetically reprogram the young into unhealthy metabolic patterns after birth. Therefore, proper support for maternal health and metabolism will be shown to matter all the more, and we may be able to define specific steps to protect the fetus.

Best of all, we may be able to develop epigenetic drugs that will ultimately be useful to correct these epigenetically transmitted diseases. Until then, there is no cure for the adult children of the Dutch ‘Hunger Winter’ mothers, or patients like them.

http://www.news-medi...f-Medicine.aspx

Edited by alternativista, 25 June 2013 - 11:46 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#42 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Maximizing Methylation: The Key to Healthy Aging

http://drhyman.com/b...-aging-2/#close

Dr. Hyman is one of the rare doctors that recognize the connection between diet and acne and wrote one of the best articles I've seen for the masses in the Huffington Post.

I notice he doesn't mention methionine, a sulfur containing amino acid that's abundant in the greens he recommends.  I'm confused about the methionine because i expected abundant methionine to be desirable, but here's a study on low methionine diets increasing longevity http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18789600

1. Eat more dark, leafy greens – You want to eat l cup a day of vegetables like bok choy, escarole, Swiss chard, kale, watercress, spinach, or dandelion, mustard, collard, or beet greens. These are among the most abundant sources of the nutrients needed for optimal methylation
  2. Get more Bs in your diet – Good food sources include sunflower seeds and wheat germ (vitamin B6); fish and eggs (vitamin B6 and B12); cheese (B12); beans and walnuts (vitamin B6 and folate); leafy dark green vegetables; asparagus, almonds, and whole grains (folate); and liver (all three)
  3. Minimize animal protein, sugar, and saturated fat – Animal protein directly increases homocysteine. Sugar and saturated fat deplete your body’s vitamin stores
  4. Avoid processed foods and canned foods – These are depleted in vitamins
  5. Avoid caffeine – Excess amounts can deplete your B vitamin levels
  6. Limit alcohol to 3 drinks a week – More than this can deplete your B vitamin levels
  7. Don’t smoke – As noted above, smoking inactivates vitamin B6
  8. Avoid medications that interfere with methylation – See notes on this above
  9. Keep the bacteria in your gut healthy – Take probiotic supplements and use other measures to make sure the bacteria in your gut are healthy so you can properly absorb the vitamins you do get
  10. Improve stomach acid – Use herbal digestives (bitters) or taking supplemental HCl
  11. Take supplements that prevent damage from homocysteine – Antioxidants protect you from homocysteine damage. Also make sure you support methylation with supplements like magnesium and zinc
  12. Supplement to help support proper homocysteine metabolism – Talk to your doctor to determine the best doses and forms for you.  Here are a few suggestions:
    Folate (folic acid):
    Amounts can vary based on individual needs from 200 mcg to 1 mg. Some people may also need to take preformed folate (folinic acid or 5 formylTHF) to bypass some of the steps in activating folic acid
    Vitamin B6: Take 2 to 5 mg a day. Some people may need up to 250 mg or even special “active” B6 (pyridoxyl-5-phosphate) to achieve the greatest effect. Doses higher than 500 mg may cause nerve injury
    Vitamin B12: Doses of 500 mcg may be needed to protect against heart disease. Oral vitamin B12 isn’t well absorbed; you may need up to 1 or 2 mg daily. Ask your doctor about B12 shots
    Betaine: This amino acid derivative is needed in doses from 500 to 3,000 mg a day, depending on the person

Measuring Your Own Methylation Process

To find out if your methylation process is optimal, ask your doctor for the following tests:

• Complete blood count – Like our friend Mr. Roberts, large red blood cells or anemia can be a sign of poor methylation. Red blood cells with a mean corpuscular volume (MCV) greater than 95 can signal a methylation problem
  • Homocysteine – This is one of the most important tests you can ask for. The normal level is less than 13, but the ideal level is likely between 6 and 8
  • Serum or urinary methylmalonic acid – This is a more specific test for vitamin B12 insufficiency. Your levels may be elevated even if you have a normal serum vitamin B12 or homocysteine level
  • Specific urinary amino acids – These can be used to look for unusual metabolism disorders involving vitamins B6 or B12 or folate, which may not show up just by checking methylmalonic acid or homocysteine

This guy wrote some interesting articles on this suite101 site, but i don't know who he is or about the validity.

Eating to Enhance One's Epigenome (DNA Methylation)
http://suite101.com/...ylation-a237063

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

In case anyone wanted to know about the gene expression that affects your fasting blood glucose and thus your ability to survive famine/tendency to develop type II diabetes.

Your genetic makeup may also affect your response to intermittent fasting. Many people of Asian and European ancestry (myself included) have a mutation in the SNP rs2291725 that is associated with higher fasting blood glucose. This mutation probably became widespread in some populations thousands of years ago as a response to the inevitable “lean times” that came with a switch to agricultural food production. Women with this mutation were more likely to maintain their pregnancies during times of food scarcity. These days, the same mutation is associated with a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and/or gestational diabetes. I wonder if having this mutation also makes intermittent fasting more comfortable (due to higher fasting blood glucose levels)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by alternativista, 01 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#44 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

alternativista, I appreciate this post thanks again for all the info. I'm curious, there's a lot of talk about magnesium, zinc and vitamin D. If one has acne due to something they have 'done' in their life that has 'activated' the gene (rather than it being an allergy etc), is it being suggested that taking these three supplements may just help 'deactivate' the acne gene in that particular person?

I'm curious on your thoughts as I think I have something interesting to add..

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Note how studies these days always explore gene expression.  Not genes. Gene expression.  Because that's what matters when it comes to health conditions and gene expression is affected by the things you do to yourself.

alternativista, I appreciate this post thanks again for all the info. I'm curious, there's a lot of talk about magnesium, zinc and vitamin D. If one has acne due to something they have 'done' in their life that has 'activated' the gene (rather than it being an allergy etc), is it being suggested that taking these three supplements may just help 'deactivate' the acne gene in that particular person?

Well, epigenetics is about changes in expression that your parents may have passed on to you or that you may pass on to your children. And that's what most of the info I've posted here is about.  I'm not sure how much evidence has been found of anyone switching anything on and off. I think some of those studies on the yellow obese agouti mice might have included changes that occured within the mouse's lifetime.   And I know there are books and posted some titles that certainly make claims that you can activate or deactivate a gene.  Who knows, maybe whenever someone reverses insulin resistance they've flipped a switch. 

Maybe I'll see if any of those books are in the library. 

Edited by alternativista, 01 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

I don't know about those supplements, other than of course they play major roles in cell proliferation and hormone regulation and more.  And well, zinc and mag at least have much to do with methylation which means they have much to do with gene expression.

But this paper says that avoiding habits that elevate growth factors (or growing out of puberty) changes expression of genes involved in acne.

J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2010 Feb;8(2):105-14. doi: 10.1111/j.1610-0387.2010.07344.x.
FoxO1 - the key for the pathogenesis and therapy of acne?
[Article in English, German]
Melnik BC.
Source
Department of Dermatology, Enviromental Medicine and Health Theory, University of Osnabrück, Germany. melnik@t-online.de
Abstract
Five main factors play a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of acne: androgen dependence, follicular retention hyperkeratosis, increased sebaceous lipogenesis, increased colonization with P. acnes, and inflammatory events. This paper offers a solution for the pathogenesis of acne and explains all major pathogenic factors at the genomic level by a relative deficiency of the nuclear transcription factor FoxO1. Nuclear FoxO1 suppresses androgen receptor, other important nuclear receptors and key genes of cell proliferation, lipid biosynthesis and inflammatory cytokines. Elevated growth factors during puberty and persistent growth factor signals due to Western life style stimulate the export of FoxO1 out of the nucleus into the cytoplasm via activation of the phos-phoinositide-3-kinase (PI3K)/Akt pathway. By this mechanism, genes and nuclear receptors involved in acne are derepressed leading to increased androgen receptor-mediated signal transduction, increased cell proliferation of androgen-dependent cells, induction of sebaceous lipogenesis and upregulation of Toll-like-receptor-2-dependent inflammatory cytokines. All known acne-inducing factors exert their action by reduction of nuclear FoxO1 levels. In contrast, retinoids, antibiotics and dietary intervention will increase the nuclear content of FoxO1, thereby normalizing increased transcription of genes involved in acne. Various receptor-mediated growth factor signals are integrated at the level of PI3K/Akt activation which finally results in nuclear FoxO1 deficiency.

So, they name 5 major factors in the pathogenesis of acne:
androgen dependence, follicular retention hyperkeratosis, increased sebaceous lipogenesis, increased colonization with P. acnes, and inflammatory events.

All those factors are related to  a relative deficiency of the nuclear transcription factor FoxO1.

Nuclear FoxO1 suppresses androgen receptors,  genes involved in cell proliferation and lipid biosynthesis. and inflammatory cytokines.  

Elevated growth factors due to puberty OR  Western diet and lifestyle decrease Fox01 

This leads to increased androgen receptor sensitivity, increased cell proliferation,  and increase in inflammatory cytokines.   I have to look into what 'induction of sebaceous lipogenesis' means, exactly.

Retinoids, antibiotics work by increasing FoxO1 and so will dietary interventions.  I.e. avoiding high glycemic and insulinotropic diet habits.

'thereby normalizing increased transcription of genes involved in acne'  - in other words, it changes genetic expression or 'flips some genetic switches'.

Edited by alternativista, 02 July 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#47 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

More Vocabulary:

The genotype of an organism is the inherited instructions it carries within its genetic code. Not all organisms with the same genotype look or act the same way because appearance and behavior are modified by environmental and developmental conditions.

A phenotype  is the composite of an organism's observable characteristics. Phenotypes result from the expression of an organism's genes as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two.  This genotype-phenotype distinction was proposed by Wilhelm Johannsen in 1911 to make clear the difference between an organism's heredity and what that heredity produces. 

genotype (G) + environment (E) + genotype & environment interactions (GE) → phenotype (P) 

environment means stuff you are exposed to which includes stuff you do to yourself.

Gene expression is the process by which information from a gene is used in the synthesis of a functional gene product.  Gene regulation gives the cell control over structure and function, and is the basis for cellular differentiation, morphogenesis and the versatility and adaptability of any organism

In genetics, gene expression is the most fundamental level at which the genotype gives rise to the phenotype. The genetic code stored in DNA is "interpreted" by gene expression, and the properties of the expression give rise to the organism's phenotype. Such phenotypes are often expressed by the synthesis of proteins that control the organism's shape, or that act as enzymes catalysing specific metabolic pathways characterising the organism.

Transcription is the first step of gene expression, in which a particular segment of DNA is copied into RNA by the enzyme, RNA polymerase.   During transcription, a DNA sequence is read by an RNA polymerase, which produces a complementary, antiparallel RNA strand. As opposed to DNA replication, transcription results in an RNA complement that includes uracil (U) in all instances where thymine (T) would have occurred in a DNA complement. Also unlike DNA replication where DNA is synthesised, transcription does not involve an RNA primer to initiate RNA synthesis.

Transcription proceeds in 5 or 6 steps, each moving like a wave along the DNA.

Transcription factors are one of the groups of proteins that read and interpret the genetic "blueprint" in the DNA. They bind to the DNA and help initiate a program of increased or decreased gene transcription.  Transcription factors bind to either enhancer or promoter regions of DNA adjacent to the genes that they regulate. Depending on the transcription factor, the transcription of the adjacent gene is either up- or down-regulated.  The number of transcription factors found within an organism increases with genome size, and larger genomes tend to have more transcription factors per gene.[9]  There are approximately 2600 proteins in the human genome that contain DNA-binding domains, and most of these are presumed to function as transcription factors.,[10]

DNA methylation is often utilized to silence and regulate genes without changing the original DNA sequence, an example of epigenetic modification. Methylation often occurs on nucleic bases in DNA or amino acids in protein structures. Methytransferases use a reactive methyl group bound to sulfur in S-adenosyl methionine (SAM) as the methyl donor.

#48 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Epigenetics Project Blog, subtitled 'Can our DNA be "Played" like a musical instrument?'

http://georgefebish.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/dairy-can-give-you-acne/  - post on dairy and acne. Not overly valuable post though.

They are selling a book 'Food For Thought – An Epigenetic Guide to Wellness,

It looks like it has a pro-veganism slant so they probably only have research that support that idea.

#49 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My passion is my work as an EFT Practitioner. I also enjoy hiking, fencing, martial arts, and computers.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Epigenetics Project Blog, subtitled 'Can our DNA be "Played" like a musical instrument?'

http://georgefebish.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/dairy-can-give-you-acne/  - post on dairy and acne. Not overly valuable post though.

They are selling a book 'Food For Thought – An Epigenetic Guide to Wellness,

It looks like it has a pro-veganism slant so they probably only have research that support that idea.

I love this topic - I think it's fascinating, and very important to acne healing. 

I'm personally interested in the practical techniques that have been developed for making these Epigenetic changes happen, such as acupuncture, acupressure, EFT, TFT, and others. 

I use EFT on a daily basis, and have cleared my acne entirely with with it. It's a very complex topic on the outside, but once you can break it down and understand what kind of daily practices you can do, it's incredible the kind of changes that can happen - that I've experienced, anyway. 

Alternativista, have you heard of the book 'The Genie In Your Genes - Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention' written by Dawson Church, Ph.D.?

It gives a very comprehensive look at this topic. At great introduction, and even includes some of the studies you've linked to here.  

Cleared my acne (including new breakouts) by clearing the emotional causes behind it.

Learn EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) on my Blog.

#50 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

This is fascinating stuff, thanks for the reading recommendations. I only recently began practicing biofeedback exercises for stress, which is complementing acupuncture treatments nicely. I will need to look into other forms of epigenetics as well. I wonder if it is possible to permanently normalize acne genes, or if we are just suppressing those genes while following specific regimens long term.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#51 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My passion is my work as an EFT Practitioner. I also enjoy hiking, fencing, martial arts, and computers.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

This is fascinating stuff, thanks for the reading recommendations. I only recently began practicing biofeedback exercises for stress, which is complementing acupuncture treatments nicely. I will need to look into other forms of epigenetics as well. I wonder if it is possible to permanently normalize acne genes, or if we are just suppressing those genes while following specific regimens long term.

I was able to normalize my acne genes, to the point where I no longer get breakouts. 

I found that my skin would break out when I felt threatened or in danger. I've hypothesized that the danger triggered the fight-or-flight response, which weakened my body and my immune system, and prevented my skin from healing as well as it could.

At any rate, once I started using techniques like EFT to clear these feelings of danger, breakouts lessened as well. Eventually, both the 'danger signals' and the acne have stopped altogether. 

On the plus side, these threatened feelings were also at the root of my depression, which as also lifted now. 

I'd be curious to know what changes you've noticed using acupuncture?

Edited by Luke S, 03 July 2013 - 08:43 PM.

Cleared my acne (including new breakouts) by clearing the emotional causes behind it.

#52 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

I was able to normalize my acne genes, to the point where I no longer get breakouts. 

I found that my skin would break out when I felt threatened or in danger. I've hypothesized that the danger triggered the fight-or-flight response, which weakened my body and my immune system, and prevented my skin from healing as well as it could.

At any rate, once I started using techniques like EFT to clear these feelings of danger, breakouts lessened as well. Eventually, both the 'danger signals' and the acne have stopped altogether. 

On the plus side, these threatened feelings were also at the root of my depression, which as also lifted now. 

I'd be curious to know what changes you've noticed using acupuncture?

Wow, congratulations! I saw an allergist and she mentioned the fight-or-flight response, and then linked that to stress and depression. I started doing biofeedback exercises, which to me seem a bit similar to yoga and meditation. How long did it take you to see results with EFT? I found some tutorials online - are there any online videos you'd recommend? Not sure which ones to follow. Also, did you change your diet or add any supplements to boost your immune system, or was EFT enough for you?

With acupuncture, after the first few sessions I noticed a huge reduction in stress and anxiety. It was very important to find the right acupuncturist - some didn't work for me, others were trying to adjust my hormones or cleanse my liver and gut and inadvertently worsened my acne.  I found that the best acupuncture treatments are the mild ones - like, ones for stress & anxiety reduction, insomnia, blood building and strengthening the immune system. Sometimes the effects of a treatment can last up to 2 weeks, but if I don't keep up with it I don't notice any long term improvements. Sometimes the acupuncturist puts seeds on my ear lobes with pressure points (e.g. for sleep, stress, etc) so I can self-treat and that helps prolong the treatment by a few extra days. Have you tried acupuncture? I recently visited a new acupuncture place where they use high-tech gadgets, and the acupuncturist used a nice massager and a red light on my face. I noticed a big improvement in my skin within a few hours! It really makes a difference once you find a good practitioner.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#53 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

Wow, congratulations! I saw an allergist and she mentioned the fight-or-flight response, and then linked that to stress and depression. I started doing biofeedback exercises, which to me seem a bit similar to yoga and meditation. How long did it take you to see results with EFT? I found some tutorials online - are there any online videos you'd recommend? Not sure which ones to follow. Also, did you change your diet or add any supplements to boost your immune system, or was EFT enough for you?

With acupuncture, after the first few sessions I noticed a huge reduction in stress and anxiety. It was very important to find the right acupuncturist - some didn't work for me, others were trying to adjust my hormones or cleanse my liver and gut and inadvertently worsened my acne.  I found that the best acupuncture treatments are the mild ones - like, ones for stress & anxiety reduction, insomnia, blood building and strengthening the immune system. Sometimes the effects of a treatment can last up to 2 weeks, but if I don't keep up with it I don't notice any long term improvements. Sometimes the acupuncturist puts seeds on my ear lobes with pressure points (e.g. for sleep, stress, etc) so I can self-treat and that helps prolong the treatment by a few extra days. Have you tried acupuncture? I recently visited a new acupuncture place where they use high-tech gadgets, and the acupuncturist used a nice massager and a red light on my face. I noticed a big improvement in my skin within a few hours! It really makes a difference once you find a good practitioner.

Thanks! 

I noticed two levels of improvement. On the physical level, my experience was much the same as yours - after using EFT on the acne symptoms, I would notice improvements right away; my acne would fade, the itchiness would go down, the redness would lessen. These improvements happened within a few hours, and lasted for several days.

On the longer term level, it took several months to for improvement in breakouts to show. I had experienced a lot of trauma as a kid, which was responsible for my depression. I used EFT on these childhood traumas, and that's when long-term improvements happened. This was a therapeutic kind of work, and involved a lot of rediscovery of who I was, and neutralizing the painful childhood memories.

Luckily, thanks to EFT, I did most of this work on my own relatively painlessly. 

It took about a year for breakouts to stop entirely, but they did started lessening right away. And it only took this long because of how much I personally had to clear. The process sped up after I worked with an EFT practitioner and therapist, which was towards the end of the year.

I didn't change my diet (I had tried cutting out gluten and sugar at one point, which didn't help) or use any supplements. Partly because I was travelling, and didn't have access to the same supply in other countries. EFT was enough for me. 

I haven't tried acupuncture, but I certainly want to at some point. Finding the right person to work with really does make all the difference. Even after I was working with an EFT practitioner, I used EFT between sessions to hold on the to the progress we had made together - which is one thing I like about EFT; how easy it is to do it on yourself. 

As far as resources, this guy has some really good videos for explaining the basic technique. 

http://www.youtube.c...g?feature=watch

He doesn't have any specifically for acne, but you can use these to work on getting to your own core issues.

I posted a more in-depth explanation of the cause and effect on my blog, as well:

http://www.acne.org/...and-depression/

I'm going to be posting more about using EFT on there in the near future. 

#54 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Thanks! 

I noticed two levels of improvement. On the physical level, my experience was much the same as yours - after using EFT on the acne symptoms, I would notice improvements right away; my acne would fade, the itchiness would go down, the redness would lessen. These improvements happened within a few hours, and lasted for several days.

On the longer term level, it took several months to for improvement in breakouts to show. I had experienced a lot of trauma as a kid, which was responsible for my depression. I used EFT on these childhood traumas, and that's when long-term improvements happened. This was a therapeutic kind of work, and involved a lot of rediscovery of who I was, and neutralizing the painful childhood memories.

Luckily, thanks to EFT, I did most of this work on my own relatively painlessly. 

It took about a year for breakouts to stop entirely, but they did started lessening right away. And it only took this long because of how much I personally had to clear. The process sped up after I worked with an EFT practitioner and therapist, which was towards the end of the year.

I didn't change my diet (I had tried cutting out gluten and sugar at one point, which didn't help) or use any supplements. Partly because I was travelling, and didn't have access to the same supply in other countries. EFT was enough for me. 

I haven't tried acupuncture, but I certainly want to at some point. Finding the right person to work with really does make all the difference. Even after I was working with an EFT practitioner, I used EFT between sessions to hold on the to the progress we had made together - which is one thing I like about EFT; how easy it is to do it on yourself. 

As far as resources, this guy has some really good videos for explaining the basic technique. 

http://www.youtube.c...g?feature=watch

He doesn't have any specifically for acne, but you can use these to work on getting to your own core issues.

I posted a more in-depth explanation of the cause and effect on my blog, as well:

http://www.acne.org/...and-depression/

I'm going to be posting more about using EFT on there in the near future. 

i would definitely try EFT.

thank u for sharing.

i am not sure if i have neurodermititis of dermatitis of some sort.do u think it will help in reducing stress related to about anything and suicidal thoughts too?

also,could u elaborate a lil' more on what is to be done to help the skin - zits,red marks,huge pores,oiliness etc?

Edited by aanabill, 04 July 2013 - 02:49 AM.

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??
http://www.acne.org/...-with-pictures/

huge pores
http://www.acne.org/...dwith-pictures/

indented scar
http://www.acne.org/...iswith-picture/

oils used for cooking
http://www.acne.org/...oilgood-or-bad/

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores
http://www.acne.org/...twith-pictures/

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)
http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/
http://www.acne.org/...incare-routine/

#55 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Biofeedback and EFT discussion thread

http://www.acne.org/...k/#entry3137442

Edited by alternativista, 05 July 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#56 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

i would definitely try EFT.

thank u for sharing.

i am not sure if i have neurodermititis of dermatitis of some sort.do u think it will help in reducing stress related to about anything and suicidal thoughts too?

also,could u elaborate a lil' more on what is to be done to help the skin - zits,red marks,huge pores,oiliness etc?

EFT can help with issues of depression. It's especially helpful for stress, because you can use it on the particular events which stress you out. You can use it on suicidal thoughts as well, by focusing EFT on the reasons to quit. 

Tomorrow I'll post some in-depth tutorials and instructions on my blog for using EFT on skin issues like those you mentioned - zits, red marks, etc. 

#57 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

thank u.

some days ago i saw a post(of urs as far as i remember) where u spoke about a few techniques.

did u delete that or am i mistaken?

it would be very helpful if u elaborate the steps and what is to be done for both stress,anxiety & skin related issues like acne and dermatitis.

thanks once again.

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

#58 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

thank u.

some days ago i saw a post(of urs as far as i remember) where u spoke about a few techniques.

it would be very helpful if u elaborate the steps and what is to be done for both stress,anxiety & skin related issues like acne and dermatitis.

thanks once again.

That was my post, but I think the admins removed the thread because it was in the wrong board. I will try posting it again in this one, since it's about holistic health. 

In the mean time, I've made a blog post you can check out, where I've uploaded a nice little PDF guide on how to use EFT for acne issues. It's a great introduction, and with a lot of practical how-to stuff you can start using immediately.

Here's a link to the blog post

#59 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

thank u.

thanks once again.

That was my post, but I think the admins removed the thread because it was in the wrong board. I will try posting it again in this one, since it's about holistic health. 

In the mean time, I've made a blog post you can check out, where I've uploaded a nice little PDF guide on how to use EFT for acne issues. It's a great introduction, and with a lot of practical how-to stuff you can start using immediately.

Here's a link to the blog post

downloaded!

thanks luke.

i will let u know about the progress.

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

#60 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Article on frutcose metabolism that examines gene expression. I've only had time to skim.

http://www.scienceda...81209221742.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users