Photo

manuka honey vs P.acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:51 PM

I recentely emailed one of the leading manuka honey researchers, and found out that p. acnes is indeed "very sensitive" to honey.

here is part of my email and his response:

...I am curious to know if manuka honey has been tested against Propionibacterium acnes, and how effective was it?  I'm hoping that manuka honey will be an effective antimicrobial agent without causing much irritation or dryness.  My plan is to apply the honey under a dressing every night.

If P. acnes has not been tested with manuka honey, then is there any other evidence to suggest that the honey would be effective?  I assume that the release of hydrogen peroxide would have a strong effect against anaerobic bacteria such as P. acnes, but I know HP release is dependant upon a number of factors... dilution, pH, survival of glucose oxidase during storage and transport. So I wonder how effective is HP release against P. acnes, and how effective is the non-peroxide antimicrobial factor?

[from Dr. P.C. Molan]
We have tested P.acne for sensitivity to honey, and found that it is
very sensitive. Honey applied to the skin will have a moisturising
effect rather than a drying effect, and its anti-inflammatory activity
will also be beneficial.

Unless honey gets diluted it will not produce hydrogen peroxide.
(Maximal production is when honey is diluted 50/50.) The antibacterial
factor in manuka honey is fully effective in undiluted honey.

you can learn more about manuka honey here:
http://bio.waikato.a.../contents.shtml

#2 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:52 AM

manuka honey works for me. Now i throw away all the prescription topicals, like benzamycin, and i only use manuka honey to treat my occassional zits.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#3 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:51 AM

Some really great products for acne are: Living Nature's "Manuka oil and honey gel", and pure manuka oil. You can get them at: http://www.allnaturalcosmetics.com/

The manuka oil and honey gel is one of the best products on the planet for acne. Really, really, a fantastic "must have" product. The honey in it isn't sticky and sinks into your face.

#4 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:49 AM

I second that recommendation, Denise - I absolutely love that product. (manuka oil and honey antiseptic gel) Although it is reasonably expensive, I believe it to be worth every penny. Fantastic. smile.gif
bb_eusa_dance.gif

#5 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Rossignol @ Aug 31 2004, 07:36 AM)
I absolutely love that product. (manuka oil and honey antiseptic gel)

I don't like the smell of that gel from Living Nature. Pee-Yew!! bb_eusa_sick.gif

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:16 PM

Isn't it better to just use regular, natural manuka honey?
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#7 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:55 PM

The gel feels better on the face, but my personal results have been better with regular manuka honey than with the gel. The gel is an okay product, I guess great for some people, but it's not a preference for me.

#8 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:25 PM

The honey is sticky; the gel has aloe, vitamin e, and the manuka oil, and isn't sticky, but sinks right in and tones and tightens the face as well.

You cannot function a normal life with honey all over your face, nor can you sleep with it on. I suppose if you are home every day, it would be alright.

#9 idealist

idealist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:48 PM

question for fans of manuka honey....

does it work better as a preventive measure (meaning you have to apply it all over your face all the time) or does it work better as a SPOT treeatment? or both.? i'm really just looking for a good SPOT treatment, as i've been controlling my acne with diet (low simple carb, low sugar, low dairy), so the only time i get blemishes is when i eat too much sweets or simple carbs (which, unfortunately i LOVE, a can't get to eliminating completely). thanks!

#10 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Denise2 @ Aug 31 2004, 02:12 PM)
The honey is sticky; the gel has aloe, vitamin e, and the manuka oil, and isn't sticky, but sinks right in and tones and tightens the face as well.

You cannot function a normal life with honey all over your face, nor can you sleep with it on.  I suppose if you are home every day, it would be alright.

That gel may not be STICKY, Denise, however, it sure is STINKY!! I'd hate to walk around on a daily basis with the stench of living nature's gel on my skin. It's disgusting. bb_eusa_sick.gif

#11 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Denise2 @ Aug 31 2004, 05:12 PM)

You cannot function a normal life with honey all over your face, nor can you sleep with it on. I suppose if you are home every day, it would be alright.

I am home on a daily basis. bb_eusa_dance.gif
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#12 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 03:56 PM)

I am home on a daily basis.  bb_eusa_dance.gif

Same here. wink.gif
I don't wear the honey every day though. In fact I haven't been putting anything on my face while I'm at home lately and I'm liking that for a change.
And the manuka gel does have a strange, funky kind of smell... kind of like antiseptic snail slime or something.. hard to desribe. bb_eusa_think.gif

#13 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:54 PM

You guys are crackin' me up about this smell thang....the smell has never bothered me at all. It's a bit antiseptic, but I never found it offensive...... ph34r.gif bb_eusa_think.gif

#14 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

Well it's better than rotten eggs I guess. wink.gif

#15 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Scorpion_Vixen @ Aug 31 2004, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 03:56 PM)

I am home on a daily basis.  bb_eusa_dance.gif

Same here. wink.gif
I don't wear the honey every day though. In fact I haven't been putting anything on my face while I'm at home lately and I'm liking that for a change.
And the manuka gel does have a strange, funky kind of smell... kind of like antiseptic snail slime or something.. hard to desribe. bb_eusa_think.gif

I typically don't put anything on my face during the daytime. I've put regular, raw, unheated honey on it a few times though. I have to try the manuka, but I don't feel like spending the money right now. I just bought a lot of make-up.

#16 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Denise2 @ Aug 31 2004, 04:41 PM)
the smell has never bothered me at all.  It's a bit antiseptic, but I never found it offensive...... ph34r.gif  bb_eusa_think.gif

Maybe you've got a bum beak and it's not as sensitive as it should be to certain smells cause, for real.....that stuff reeks!

#17 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:47 PM

i think the anticeptic gel is a great product but it probably doesnt give much benefit from the manuka honey... for one thing, we dont know the UMF or if there even is a UMF... secondly, there is probably not any hydrogen peroxide activity because of processing and over-dilution... and thirdly, there is hardly any honey in the product because its not sticky at all. so the main benefit from manuka anticeptic gel is from the manuka oil, which is a strong antibacterial agent.

You cannot function a normal life with honey all over your face, nor can you sleep with it on.

true, its probably not a good idea to leave the house with honey on your face (you might get attacked by bees), but i think it could be used overnight under a dressing.

my idea is to apply the manuka honey at night and cover with a thin damp cloth, with eye/nose/mouth holes/ and a strap, like a mask. the damp cloth should help dilute the honey and raise the pH so that glucose oxidase can begin the slow hydrogen peroxide release. the non-peroxide activity should go to work immediately. this will create a moist environment, which is much better for healing the skin. the anti-inflammatory effects should also help improve healing.

oh, and about the smell of manuka oil... whats the point of arguing... some like it, some dont... just as some people like the smell of garlic (me) and some people would rather smell their own ass bb_shock.gif

#18 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:53 PM

Sounds interesting. Keep us abreast of your results. One tip: Use distilled H20 on the cloth. Also, the cloth will dry during the night...

#19 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

Flipside: The product has other ingredients and isn't heated or "processed". The Living Nature products are all not processed at all. All the live enzymes and whatnot are intact. I'm not sure about the strength of the honey, but the product has the manuka OIL, which has fantastic antibacterial activity.

Tracy: I dunno.....I always thought I had a good smeller.....

#20 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

by "processed", i just meant all the mixing, stirring , and interaction between ingredients... that will probably reduce the active chemicals like glucose oxidase and whatever the UMF is (still unknown i believe). then there's the storage and shipping conditions to worry about... sitting in a hot mail truck all day cant be a good thing... i think i worry too much unsure.gif