2 replies to this topic

#1 FML23

FML23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

23 year old female

How do you tell the difference? Is it just the localization of the acne?

In the past 6 months my skin has exploded in the chin/mouth area. It has become such a problem that I cancel basically all social plans, and don't leave the house (even for work - I am a self employed hairdresser). It will go through cycles where it will get a little better, and I will be able to work and what not, but it always continues back to extreme chin/mouth breakouts.

I have tried basically everythingggg except prescription topicals. No dairy (gave up on that though lol), murad, philosophy, clean & clear kit, H20, and "The Regimen". Nothing has been successful. After countless hours of research, I have determined it might be hormonal. The acne started shortly after buying a puppy, but I can't find any conclusive evidence that pets can cause acne in humans. I feel like if I was allergic to him, I would have other symptoms than just chin acne.

I used to be on Lutera, and that worked pretty well for me, but around Feb my skin started breaking out. Maybe I wasn't taking it regularly enough (varying times of day) because it had worked fairly well for the previous months I had taken it. Anyway, I ran out of it and went to Planned Parenthood for a refill. The PP in my area (diff county since last time I went) doesn't carry Lutera, so they gave me Levora (another generic the same as Lutera). That was nightmarish. Skin was still going nuts/getting worse. I didn't consider the whole "your skin has to get used to it" thing because I had already been on the "same" BC before. I stopped that altogether after about a month or two.

It has been maybe 3 months since I have taken any BC, and even with all the topical solutions I have tried, there has been no relief.

After doing much more research on hormonal acne, I have tried to determine the BC's best for hormonal balancing. With all the negativity surrounding YAZ/Yasmin I did NOT want to try that, and when I was previously on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo a couple years ago, I had TERRIBLE health side effects. I'm talking passing out randomly, vertigo, and other weird things. Also when I went off OTCLO I had to go to the ER a couple times because I had shortness of breath that would NOT stop - for weeks. It took me a month to recover from that after being put on steroids (nightmare). Obviously OTCLO works great for some, but my experience with that makes me against trying Yasmin after the frequently reported health problems.

Also through all my research on BC's I have found that Lutera/Levora actually is the kind of BC that is supposedly not good for acne because the form of progestin used has high androgens level. I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING PHARM with all I know about this shit now!!! lol

Anyway, what I'm trying to say (LOL such a long convoluted story I've told) is I decided on Cyclessa, and picked up my prescription for Caziant (generic) today. I prayyyyyyy it will help me, as I want my normal social life back!!!!!!! I have never had problems this severe with acne before (besides evil puberty of course).

Day 1 - acne riddled chin/jaw

Thanks for listening to me vent!!

#2 FML23

FML23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

So it has been about 5 days of being on Caziant and 50mg Zinc, and I am pleased to say I have no new bumps. I'm not in the clear yet though, as I am afraid any second more could pop up. Lol I'm living in fear still, but I think after a couple weeks I'll be convinced.

Now my main problem are red marks. I have managed to steer clear of any permanent acne scarring, but I do have a weird bump that is concerning me. So it was a cluster of inflamed whiteheads, and I picked them (I can never resist). After the scab on one of them comes off, usually I just have a red mark, but under one of them was a bump. The rest are just red marks now. I was unsure if this was a cyst or papule/pustule that developed under the scab, but there was no tenderness as there usually is. The texture felt different too, like it was just a hard bump, but more like a plateau. It is going down by the day, but I was concerned it was the start of what could become a scar. I don't know what scars look like in the beginning stages though.

As far as red marks go I have read that ACV helps as a toner. I am afraid to put anything on my skin though, has there been any instances where this stuff caused new breakouts?

Edited by FML23, 11 June 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#3 May853

May853

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (FML23 @ Jun 6 2011, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
23 year old female

How do you tell the difference? Is it just the localization of the acne?

I don't rightly know - I was 99-100% clear on DKR so that seems like I should have bacterial acne, right? But I can't take that anymore and now my derm says the stuff that the retinoid I'm on hasn't taken care of is hormonal. It's around the perimeter of my face i'd say. I remember when we were TTC and I got off BC I got these zits on the sides of my face below my cheek bone and above my jaw that I'd never had before. They eventually went away, but I have those now from time to time. So anything in that general area I chalk up to hormones, although the BP took care of those also. The jawline stuff has started in the last 8 months. Like the ones under my jaw. I don't know if I'm having hormonal upheaval at 30 or what.

The acne started shortly after buying a puppy, but I can't find any conclusive evidence that pets can cause acne in humans. I feel like if I was allergic to him, I would have other symptoms than just chin acne.

I have a friend who is allergic to lots of things - dogs being one of them. They rescued this chihuahua, and she says her reaction to dogs consists of zits. So it is possible? Don't know if a doc would concur, but there's some anecdotal evidence for ya.

Hope you find that which works for you.

May

May

Current Regimen: (as of May 2012)

AM:
Grandpas Thylox soap with clarisonic
SkinCeuticals Age and Blemish defense
SkinCeuticals Daily Moisture
SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense (spf 50)

PM:
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser to remove makeup
Grandpas Thylox soap with clarisonic
Atralin
SkinCeuticals Daily moisture (if I moisturize at night)

Once or twice a week, I use the SkinCeuticals Clarifying Clay Masque.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users