Photo

How to 'decongest' the skin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

My skin, aside from acne...just as a 'congested' feel to it...like all of my pores are filled with crap, basically. My skin is really oily, and always feels greasy.

Are there any methods you folks use to relieve that feeling...ie. clay masks, steaming?

any tips or suggestions would be very much welcomed wub.gif

I just want my face to feel super clean eusa_eh.gif

Edited by Ivy., 06 June 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Steaming is awesome for opening up your pores and cleaning them out. biggrin.gif It's also pretty gentle provided you don't do it more than once a week, and all you need is a kettle, a big bowl and a towel. If you put a mud mask on straight afterwards, it's even better, but definitely choose a mask you know won't break you out.

#3 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I definitely second the clay masks+steaming combo, I do it once or twice a week. If I don't, my pores usually end up becoming clog city lol.gif adding a wee bit of honey, if you have a mask mixture or something like that, can really help tone down how moisture stripping it is. You just have to find the right balance to keep the clay pulling power balanced with the honey moisture. Plus, the honey is great for treating and preventing acne.

You might have heard of the Secret Aztec Indian Healing Clay or something like that, I recommend it! lasts forever, and you can use it for your own cleansers/masks etc. After a good steam and use of the combo above, my skin doesn't have as many bumps and whatnot caused by blackheads. T-Zone blackheads are a bit harder to extract though, but they don't really get as obnoxious or turn into inflamed acne like blackheads in my chin/cheeks/jaw area. Don't forget to moisturize afterwards too smile.gif

#4 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Gutterflower @ Jun 6 2011, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steaming is awesome for opening up your pores and cleaning them out. biggrin.gif It's also pretty gentle provided you don't do it more than once a week, and all you need is a kettle, a big bowl and a towel. If you put a mud mask on straight afterwards, it's even better, but definitely choose a mask you know won't break you out.

what mud mask do you use?

im in canada and can't get ahold of some of the nice products I read reviews about that are bought at places like walgreens etc

they have a place called sally's beauty supply here though...maybe they have one.

what does a mud mask do...is it similar to clay?

also im worried about steaming breaking me out eusa_doh.gif shock.gif

#5 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Steam won't break you out. lol.gif It's just water. If there's any breakout happening, it'd just be accelerating the process of acne that was already forming (it'll likely bring a few to a head but it won't create more!). I can't remember the name of the mask I used last but it was 10.0.6 brand.

#6 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jun 6 2011, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definitely second the clay masks+steaming combo, I do it once or twice a week. If I don't, my pores usually end up becoming clog city lol.gif adding a wee bit of honey, if you have a mask mixture or something like that, can really help tone down how moisture stripping it is. You just have to find the right balance to keep the clay pulling power balanced with the honey moisture. Plus, the honey is great for treating and preventing acne.

You might have heard of the Secret Aztec Indian Healing Clay or something like that, I recommend it! lasts forever, and you can use it for your own cleansers/masks etc. After a good steam and use of the combo above, my skin doesn't have as many bumps and whatnot caused by blackheads. T-Zone blackheads are a bit harder to extract though, but they don't really get as obnoxious or turn into inflamed acne like blackheads in my chin/cheeks/jaw area. Don't forget to moisturize afterwards too smile.gif

Yeah I have heard great things about that clay but have no idea where to get it in canada, may have to order it online...but dont have a credit card and amazon wont take my canadian debit card because its not with visa doubt.gif

id try the mint julep masque but, scared that'll break me out too hahaha

#7 overcomingshame

overcomingshame

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

I understand that problem completely. For the oily and greasy feeling I use Milk of Magnesia Masks. Just get the original kind and test it on a patch of skin first to be sure it doesn't irritate you. It shouldn't, but everyone's skin is different. I usually do it when I am feeling nasty and oily and wash it off in the shower. It pretty much combats my oil all day and keeps my pores looking small. Read the reviews and stuff on here to be sure its right for you. Some people even use it as a primer under their foundation to keep them matte all day. Another thing I do to get rid of the clogged pores (look up closed comedones) is use Paula's choice 2% BHA gel. Its formulated for oily skin. It exfoliates the pore from the inside out to get rid of the gunk inside and also helps to get rid of regular inflammed acne. I would definitly check it out on her website and the reviews on here. The first day after I used it I saw a difference in my skin texture. Well, I hope this helped. And, just be sure to never scrub the shit out of your face to try and get it clean, because that will on lead to more acne and irritate you! smile.gif

#8 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (overcomingshame @ Jun 7 2011, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand that problem completely. For the oily and greasy feeling I use Milk of Magnesia Masks. Just get the original kind and test it on a patch of skin first to be sure it doesn't irritate you. It shouldn't, but everyone's skin is different. I usually do it when I am feeling nasty and oily and wash it off in the shower. It pretty much combats my oil all day and keeps my pores looking small. Read the reviews and stuff on here to be sure its right for you. Some people even use it as a primer under their foundation to keep them matte all day. Another thing I do to get rid of the clogged pores (look up closed comedones) is use Paula's choice 2% BHA gel. Its formulated for oily skin. It exfoliates the pore from the inside out to get rid of the gunk inside and also helps to get rid of regular inflammed acne. I would definitly check it out on her website and the reviews on here. The first day after I used it I saw a difference in my skin texture. Well, I hope this helped. And, just be sure to never scrub the shit out of your face to try and get it clean, because that will on lead to more acne and irritate you! smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, iv heard good things about that BHA gel. At the moment im kind of scared to put stuff on my skin because iv had two breakouts from the neutragena grapefruit acne scrub and so now im paranoid lol.gif

im hoping if the antibiotics kick in and eventually the spiro i'll be able to tolerate putting something like that on my face without breaking out.

#9 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Ivy. @ Jun 7 2011, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the moment im kind of scared to put stuff on my skin because iv had two breakouts from the neutragena grapefruit acne scrub and so now im paranoid lol.gif

That stuff is horrible. sad.gif I hate Neutrogena. They seem to pump so much crap and perfume into their products. Everything I've ever used by them has broken me out except for the overpriced oil-free moisturizer.

#10 Clare M.

Clare M.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Ivy. @ Jun 6 2011, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I have heard great things about that clay but have no idea where to get it in canada, may have to order it online...but dont have a credit card and amazon wont take my canadian debit card because its not with visa doubt.gif

Mary Kay has a GREAT clay mask that works really well. Not sure if those products are available in Canada though. It's great because their products are made for acne prone skin.

#11 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

http://www.beautyhea...deep-down-detox

That's the mask I used on Monday. smile.gif It comes in a tube, or in individual sachets. It smells really good and didn't break me out. There's also a strawberry one if you don't like oranges or if you have some kind of sensitivity to oranges as some people do.

#12 Ivy.

Ivy.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Clare M. @ Jun 7 2011, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mary Kay has a GREAT clay mask that works really well. Not sure if those products are available in Canada though. It's great because their products are made for acne prone skin.

Yeah they have mary Kay here but I have only seen it sold by representatives...like house wives that work out of their house lol...friends mom used to work for mary kay...they had really nice nailpolish eusa_dance.gif

#13 Clare M.

Clare M.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Ivy. @ Jun 8 2011, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Clare M. @ Jun 7 2011, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they have mary Kay here but I have only seen it sold by representatives...like house wives that work out of their house lol...friends mom used to work for mary kay...they had really nice nailpolish eusa_dance.gif

Haha yeah that's true but their stuff is gentle and pretty good.

#14 gayhenna

gayhenna

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

I say if you have the opportunity to go to sauna some time, do take advantage of that opportunity.
I go to sauna on a weekly basis (since we have one at our house) and it is not only really enjoyable but it really gets rid of the gunk (if you slightly scrub your face with a towel) and dead skin cells as well. It may not be an ance cure but it definitely gives me and my skin a refreshing feeling.

And I have also noticed that Dan's AHA+ keeps my pores a lot clearer of all the gunk and yucky stuff since it gently exfoliates the skin.

But I think I'll definitely look upon some of the recommendations you guys have shared here, I personally need a good and refreshing facial mask for myself!

#15 dykim90

dykim90

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:40 AM

i use to have a ton of blackhead but ever since i started jojoba oil everyday and night and in between my pores have been purging without the massive IB. i also do some time of work out whether it be tennis, running, soccer, or cycling, all which helps me sweat a ton.

#16 spacetime

spacetime

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

How about when you take a shower? Or is steaming more intense because the water is hotter and focused directly on the face?

Is steaming good to do in conjunction with exfoliation?

#17 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

What type of "stuff" is in your pores?

I know what feeling you are talking about ( i get it due to having massive dead skin on my face all the time), and i found that making your shower EXTREMELY HOT, and letting it run for a while and than stepping into the shower (obviously dont put the hot water on your face), makes your body and face feel good. Basically, make your shower room as hot as possible, so that its steamy, than step in and take a normal shower.

You should maybe give salycic acid a try. But that all depends on what type of stuff is in your pores

#18 fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

Try Avene Triacneal. It helped decongest my pores.

#19 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (spacetime @ Jun 15 2011, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about when you take a shower? Or is steaming more intense because the water is hotter and focused directly on the face?

Is steaming good to do in conjunction with exfoliation?

I've found that steaming, for me, is more effective than a really hot shower... plus it's more relaxing and therapeutic. It's almost like having a really good sweat. lol.gif I'd gently exfoliate first, then steam so it can really open up your pores without dead skin impeding the process.

#20 melodyr

melodyr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I had the same problem so i found this company on the internet called zenmed. i have been using their products which are pretty good but more importantly they have a blog that covers all sorts of skin tips - i think its blog.zenmed.com and i learned a lot about blackheads and detoxification and stuff. i emailed them & i have been using their cleaner and AHABHA toner which has really helped my skin and all the guck but at least check out the blogsite cause that may give u some tips