Photo

Weaning minocycline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zack242

Zack242

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

I'm a male, aged 20 with pretty sensitive skin. My nose is very dry, my forehead very oily and the rest of my face is normal.

Minocycline was pretty much the miracle anti-biotic for me. Cleared me up 100% leaving just the scars on my 1st 6 month period. I then had a break (acne began to return a little) and went back on for another 6 months. Things were great, my scars were almost gone and I was feeling good. I then took myself off them for about 3-4 months and my acne got the worst it had ever been, my face itself sore from cysts and scarred to hell. I braved it for a few weeks but just had to return to minocycline at my parents pleading.

So this is now my 3rd session of minocycline 100mg twice daily. 2 months have passed and I've just recently got a refill for the next 2 months. As much as I love how great my skin gets, I want off the anti-biotics, I hate being so dependent on them. I thought I'd try weaning off them rather than suddenly stopping. My face at the moment is pretty much clear, I've had no cysts since I started the session and I only get the odd spot every couple of days (minocycline is losing its effectiveness).

So I have 4 months worth of the anti-biotic left. Anyone know when I should start weaning? I guess I'd cut down to 1 pill then eventually take it once every 2 days I assume?

Edited by Zack242, 05 June 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#2 redfield11

redfield11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

I'm kind of bumping this because I'd also like an answer too this.

But since i'm posting i'll just share my knowledge, weaning yourself off of something and how you do it differs on both your addiction level and how long the effect of the thing lasts. So lets say you're taking 100mg twice a day, minocycline usually takes a bit over a month (say 6 weeks) to start working full time, and you seem to be pretty dependent on it. So you halve each thing, so lets say

1. One week of taking minocycline 100mg TWICE a day, every other day, with the other days being ONCE a day.

2. After the 1 week, spend 3 weeks taking 100mg ONCE a day

3. After the 3 weeks, spend a week taking 100mg EVERY OTHER DAY

4. Miracle cure

Haha but thats what i'd say. My dermatologist said most people just stop cold turkey though so thats why i'd like to see if anyone says weaning yourself off is better.

#3 clankfu

clankfu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

I'd like some input on this as well. I started taking 1 x 100 mg instead last week instead of my normal 2 x 100 mg and now I'm not taking any. Getting a little scared because I've had a bad breakout the last couple of days.

Edited by clankfu, 28 August 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#4 clankfu

clankfu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Bumping this because I'd like to hear some more experiences on this. Minocycline has kept my adult acne (I'm 35) relatively under control but I eventually want to get off of it. Does anyone have any success stories?

Edited by clankfu, 23 January 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#5 lana86

lana86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have suffered from moderate acne ever since my sophmore year in high school, i am a freshman in college right now. I had tried everything, from OTC products like neutrogena, clean and clear etc to proactiv. I finally decided to go see a dermatologist. Personally I didnt like my derm, she didnt seem to rlly care of spend too much time explaining anything, (my app. lasted like 3 min) before she handed me a prescription for Atralin (topical gel) and minocycline (antibiotic). I had never used antibiotics before, so my parents were a little skeptical bc of the side effects but I thought, well shes a doctor, she probably knws more than my parents do. For about 2 months I used this medication religiously, I didnt skip a single day, until I finally saw results happening. I was about to give up. But as time went on my acne cleared faster than I thought was possible, by 6 months I was completely clear, besides some scars that were easily covered with a mineral foundation. I was ecstatic!! I didnt think I would ever escape acne. However as good as my skin looked, I DID encounter side effects, that I didnt realize were from the pills I was popping. I felt bloated, tired, anxious. My mom constantly was telling me to stop taking them. About a year after I first went to the derm, I saw a few pimples pop up, which was weird bc the only time i ever broke out was around my time of the month and it was usually one tiny one. my face slowly started breaking out more and more so I just stopped going to the derm and stopped taking medication. All I used was cetaphil. My skin seemed like it was confused and went through weird cycles of breaking out, then clearing up but it wasnt too bad. Then I made the mistake of making ANOTHER app to a new derm. BIG mistake. He prescribed me more topicals (benzol peroxide and atralin) which did NOTHING. I used it for about a month. thats when I did more research and found that ppl who go on antibiotics can get immune to them as their bodies get used to it. What I am doing now is doing an all natural skin regimen, with honey and lemon juice. I just started so still keeping my hopes up. I say antibiotics arent worth it. you have to try to clear your acne by finding what is causing it in the first place and eliminating it. At least thats what Im trying right now. Good luck and sorry for a such a long response! hope this helps!!

Oh I am also trying a gluten and dairy free diet, some ppl have found this is their answer to clear skin!

#6 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I never weaned off of any antibiotics until now because I never knew about it. Even the last course I did (Lymecycline) lasted none months, but I stopped that one dead. I got to the end of my prescription and asked my doctor to review it. At that point, he suggested I just take a break and see what happens. Of course, because I stopped dead, my skin went totally crazy. I ended up taking Doxycycline to curb that breakout and that's what I'm weaning off at the moment. So although I have no direct experience with Mino, I can offer my experience on Doxy if it's of use to anyone who happens to check this thread going forward.

It was a six month course and I started weaning with about 35 days left to go. I was taking one 100mg pill per day and I cut it to every other day. Then the second week, every two days, then every three or four days. I have about eight pills left which I'll be taking once every five days, then hopefully I'm done with the antibiotics. Technically, I would have been done over a month ago had I stopped dead. If I compare my skin now, (almost totally clear, no active acne), to what it was like at this point when I stopped dead on Mino, (persistently broken out in cystic acne for a whole month straight), it's blatantly obvious that the key difference if that I tapered off this time. I'm also assuming that the rate at which I've tapered off is acceptable because I doubt that at this point my body really noticed or can do much with a mere 100mg every five days.

Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become habits
Habits become character
Character becomes destiny
It is time to change my destiny

You look like a guy I banged once.

#7 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

I took minocycline for years. I wasn't completely regular with it but it was still way longer than needed (now I realize, it wasn't even needed in the first place..). It worked pretty well for a while but then, I'm guessing my body built up a resistance to it and my acne started to come back. I still kept taking it because I was scared what would happen if I stopped.

However, I changed my diet (got rid of gluten and dairy, added a lot more nutrient-dense foods and reduced refined sugar) and finally decided to quit taking minocycline. I just woke up one day and decided to quit it altogether. Surprisingly enough, I didn't really break out. Though, I have heard that some people do break out by quitting minocycline cold turkey, so weaning it off would be the safe option (reducing it to once a day, then every other day, then altogether).

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#8 wellgetbetter

wellgetbetter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

I have suffered from moderate acne ever since my sophmore year in high school, i am a freshman in college right now. I had tried everything, from OTC products like neutrogena, clean and clear etc to proactiv. I finally decided to go see a dermatologist. Personally I didnt like my derm, she didnt seem to rlly care of spend too much time explaining anything, (my app. lasted like 3 min) before she handed me a prescription for Atralin (topical gel) and minocycline (antibiotic). I had never used antibiotics before, so my parents were a little skeptical bc of the side effects but I thought, well shes a doctor, she probably knws more than my parents do. For about 2 months I used this medication religiously, I didnt skip a single day, until I finally saw results happening. I was about to give up. But as time went on my acne cleared faster than I thought was possible, by 6 months I was completely clear, besides some scars that were easily covered with a mineral foundation. I was ecstatic!! I didnt think I would ever escape acne. However as good as my skin looked, I DID encounter side effects, that I didnt realize were from the pills I was popping. I felt bloated, tired, anxious. My mom constantly was telling me to stop taking them. About a year after I first went to the derm, I saw a few pimples pop up, which was weird bc the only time i ever broke out was around my time of the month and it was usually one tiny one. my face slowly started breaking out more and more so I just stopped going to the derm and stopped taking medication. All I used was cetaphil. My skin seemed like it was confused and went through weird cycles of breaking out, then clearing up but it wasnt too bad. Then I made the mistake of making ANOTHER app to a new derm. BIG mistake. He prescribed me more topicals (benzol peroxide and atralin) which did NOTHING. I used it for about a month. thats when I did more research and found that ppl who go on antibiotics can get immune to them as their bodies get used to it. What I am doing now is doing an all natural skin regimen, with honey and lemon juice. I just started so still keeping my hopes up. I say antibiotics arent worth it. you have to try to clear your acne by finding what is causing it in the first place and eliminating it. At least thats what Im trying right now. Good luck and sorry for a such a long response! hope this helps!!

Oh I am also trying a gluten and dairy free diet, some ppl have found this is their answer to clear skin!

hey guys, i've been on minocycline for about a month and a half. i see no results and as i do more research about it i'm really hesitant of keeping taking them. i stopped taking it today and kindda worried if my acne will get worse, actually, it did't get any better since i took it so.... i had taken mino 100mg 2 daily for exactly 50 days. do you guys think my skin will get worse if i stop taking now???/