Photo

The results of my skin allergy test

green smoothie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

I was eating dinner with a friend, some really great Korean BBQ to be specific. I was eating my salad, and decided to also have a bite of the oranges that came with the meal. Maybe a minute or so afterward, I started to notice that I had a really itchy throat, and I also felt it on my tongue a bit. Going through my log, I noticed that this also happens with kiwis and bananas. Growing up, I recall this itchy reaction happening a lot, even my lips would feel tingly or inflamed sometimes. My family always told me that it was in my head, but it seems to happen every time I eat the fruit raw. The weird thing is, I usually don't have a reaction if it's in liquid form, like if I use some oranges in a green smoothie, or a banana.

Without straying and getting into my regimen, I'm usually 90-100% clear, but every now and then I have flare ups, and I think it may be due to those some or all of the three fruits. I recall when I was visiting relatives last summer in SoCal, and I didn't have any oranges there because I just spent money on greens and berries for my smoothies, and I was really relaxed the whole time. I came back clear, and started to break out again here, and I used to have oranges all the time. It may have even contributed to my cystic acne, which slowly went away after I started taking supplements and made other diet changes.

So basically, I'm going to exclude oranges absolutely, along with kiwis, and I'll be looking up what other fruits I might want to avoid, like lime, tangerines, and other citrus fruit. I've never come across gooseberry or other fruits in the Flacourtia family, but I'll be staying away from kiwis as well. I'm going to stay away from bananas for about a month, and then I'll try adding in half a slice into my smoothies and hemp protein shakes and see how that works out.

This might be helpful to some other people who are trying to figure out their sensitivities and allergies, so I thought I'd share it.http://www.calgaryal...h/botanical.htm Also, I don't think I would have been so quick to suspect an allergy had I not been keeping track of what I'm eating and how I feel after eating it, so I wanted to vouch for keeping track of your meals! I may get a food allergy test down the line, but it's a bit expensive from what I know. Good luck everyone, hope this helps someone somehow!

Edited by tim12, 04 July 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jun 3 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be looking up what other fruits I might want to avoid, like lime, tangerines, and other citrus fruit. I've never come across gooseberry or other fruits in the Flacourtia family, but I'll be staying away from kiwis as well. I'm going to stay away from bananas for about a month,

In case it helps, I get cysts from oranges, tangerines and key limes and probably other citrus I haven't tested. I have no problems with lemons and Persian limes and lemons appear on lists of hypo-allergenic foods.

Edited by alternativista, 03 June 2011 - 02:39 PM.

#3 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

I also seem to get no reaction from lemons or lime, and I couldn't find anything about how I reacted to grapefruit since I don't particularly like the bitter taste anyway. Looking back when I started to flare up with cystic acne, I was actually consuming about 2 oranges a day, and this was before I knew about acne.org and I started my whole journey towards better health and skin, ironically enough. Thankfully that's all done, and I have a good feeling about my skin clearing up from this, I'll be sure to report back to you all.

#4 oneredwine

oneredwine

Food

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

This is interesting. I also get an weird, itchy, tingling sensation on my tongue after eating certain fruit like kiwi. Will try cutting them out!

#5 Whale

Whale

No, 'whale' does not mean i'm fat.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (oneredwine @ Jun 3 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is interesting. I also get an weird, itchy, tingling sensation on my tongue after eating certain fruit like kiwi. Will try cutting them out!

I get that feeling on my tongue after eating bananas. Pineapples give me little zits behind my ears. Odd.

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Whale @ Jun 3 2011, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (oneredwine @ Jun 3 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get that feeling on my tongue after eating bananas. Pineapples give me little zits behind my ears. Odd.

I used to get zits behind my ears too. And the back of my neck, front of my neck, jawline, temples, etc. I think, but don't care to test, that different citrus made me break out in different places. After avoiding citrus for a long time, I tried having a tangerine and I got cysts at my temples for the first time in years. And I haven't had any since. Before I figured out I couldn't have key limes which I would buy randomly, I still got cysts on my neck. It took a while to figure out I was breaking out when I bought key limes, but not Persian limes or lemons.

#7 mei-ling

mei-ling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Looks like (to me) the high sugar content in these fruits is causing breakouts.

Try stick to low-sugar fruits, like lemons, limes (you already know these two smile.gif ), grapefruit, and berries. Also, eat them on an empty stomach, at least 20 mins before a meal. Good luck!

#8 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

That's definitely a good reason to avoid & limit them Mei! My main curiosity however is with the possible allergies. I'm going to ask my doctor about it, since a test would be covered by health care thankfully, and I'll report back. It's too early to tell if it's helping or not, but my skin hasn't gotten any new inflammatory acne for the past two days since cutting them out eusa_dance.gif still something to be happy about! Kind of sucks since I love orange juice, but that's so much sugar as you mentioned, so I'm really better off without it.

#9 mei-ling

mei-ling

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jun 4 2011, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's definitely a good reason to avoid & limit them Mei! My main curiosity however is with the possible allergies. I'm going to ask my doctor about it, since a test would be covered by health care thankfully, and I'll report back. It's too early to tell if it's helping or not, but my skin hasn't gotten any new inflammatory acne for the past two days since cutting them out :dance: still something to be happy about! Kind of sucks since I love orange juice, but that's so much sugar as you mentioned, so I'm really better off without it.

Yo Tim,

I know, I was a complete fruit eater too, I love the stuff. (My favourite is durian, OMG). I'm glad you're checking in with a doctor, I have to wait to travel to Malaysia to get a checkup this summer, my mother's from there and it's just so much cheaper. Yes, let us know what he/she says!

High sugar/carb diets do tend to support inflammation in the body, so maybe that's the reason? Either way, that's awesome news. :) After your skin has been calm for a little while (say a week or so), maybe you can experiment with easing things in and seeing the results? That way, you'll know for sure.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (mei-ling @ Jun 4 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like (to me) the high sugar content in these fruits is causing breakouts.

No. I eat higher sugar fruits without a problem. Besides, it's the glycemic load of the meal that matters, not the GI of individual foods. And a squeeze of key lime juice in a glass of water has a low GL, yet it causes me to break out in cysts.

That's just me, but from the descriptions everyone posted, it looks to me like allergic reactions.

#11 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

the tingling/itching is a classic sign of allergy, it may never get worse, but it likely will if you keep antagonizing your immune system with it.

Wild strawberries and raw pineapple cause this for me. When I was quite young I found a rather massive patch of wild strawberries in a field. I ate virtually all of them lol.gif A few hours later I had hives all over my face. Stupidly, I still eat them on occasion, I love them...

Anyway, I think it's probably an allergy, let us know what the doc says!

#12 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

So the earliest opening the allergy department has is the 20th, which I'll be taking. They said I need time to get the antihistamines from my allergy medicine out of my body anyway, so I don't mind the wait! Do you guys think I should also stop taking my grape root & vitamin C supplements as well? I've honestly never thought that they helped with my allergies, but I'd like for my results to be accurate as possible. I'm going to be doing the skin pricking test, forgive me for not knowing the actual name offhand.

LOL funny story Ayla! I feel the same way about oranges being my favorite fruit, but I've been okay the past week without them. Hopefully I won't end up like my mom, who had no problem avoiding chocolate until she was told she couldn't eat it as often, being a diabetic and all. eusa_boohoo.gif

Oh, and another thing I forgot about oranges that add to my suspicions. I've seen DIY bath mixes that called for orange peels, and my skin gets really itchy within minutes of being in the water if there are too many orange peels, and I do wash them off beforehand.

Edited by tim12, 10 June 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#13 Lima

Lima

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

Sensitivity to citrus fruits is not uncommon. Try cutting them out for a while smile.gif

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jun 10 2011, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the earliest opening the allergy department has is the 20th, which I'll be taking.

What kind of allergy tests?

#15 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'm going to be having a skin allergy test done. I'll ask them for another type of test if I test positive for something. Also, since cutting out oranges, I noticed that I don't get the occasional painful back cyst/nodules anymore!!

#16 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jun 11 2011, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to be having a skin allergy test done. I'll ask them for another type of test if I test positive for something. Also, since cutting out oranges, I noticed that I don't get the occasional painful back cyst/nodules anymore!!

To find allergies and food intolerances that cause the delayed reactions that include acne, you need to have tests that look for other antibodies and reactions besides the presence of IgE antibodies which are what cause immediate reactions and is all most tests look for. More info here: http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2574130

#17 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Unfortunately from what I understand, Kaiser only offers tests that look for IgE sad.gif I'll ask for ELISA as well anyhow. My appointment is coming up on the 20th!

#18 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Sorry for not reporting back sooner, but here's how my appointment went. The doctor was real nice, and we talked a bit about my suspicions with the foods, and she said that even if the tests come back negative, it'd be a good idea to avoid them because people without allergies don't get those kinds of symptoms. The skin test had various types of trees, plants, grass, and other allergens like dust mites, cats, dogs, and the foods we wanted to test for, like oranges.

Here's how my skin looked in after about 20 minutes of being pricked with the various allergens.

http://imageshack.us...804/img276.jpg/

http://imageshack.us...0/img2771k.jpg/

So apparently, I was allergic to every type of "green" they tested for, I had no idea that I was that sensitive! She said it could have been in a textbook, and my reactions for some things (funny enough, like timothy grass) were greater than the control histamine. I didn't react to the sea water, so it seems like it was a good test. I also found out I'm not allergic to mold, cats, or dogs!

For the oranges and strawberries, I didn't get anything like the other reactions, but they were redder than the peanuts and potatoes. It makes sense that I didn't have a big reaction, as I only get an itchy throat when eating those foods. I'll still be avoiding strawberries anyway.

As for treatment, I'm going to start immunotherapy. I love being outdoors, and I don't know if the college I'll transfer to will be surrounded by trees. Also, it's a bit annoying having to make sure plants don't touch me outside, as I'll get a localized rash where the plant touched me.

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories and helped me out!

Edited by tim12, 04 July 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#19 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

Wait..what? Holy crap man those look like huge deer fly bites. So what exactly did you get tested for, and what caused a reaction? Anything green?! So you have to avoid being in the outdoors? Going on hikes and what not? What types of foods? Please more info Tim haha, very interested.

#20 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Sure! So basically, they have these tools that prick into the skin, kind of feels like cat's claws if you've ever been scratched by one. They dip the tool in the various allergens, I guess they're somehow isolated, but they tested for various trees, grass, and weeds. I reacted to all 4 types of grass (bemuda, rye/perennial, timothy, kentucky blue), all the trees (Oak mix, walnut, black, cottonwood, mulberry, elm, olive, ash, acadia, golden, alder, red, box elder, sycamore) except for pine lol.gif. Also allergic to all the weeds (western ragweed, pigweed, lamb's quarters, russian thistle, and plantain). The dust mites weren't as bad though, but there was still a reaction.

Basically, my outdoor allergies don't bother me as long as I take an antihistamine, but I have to avoid rubbing up against these things I guess. Like when I do yard work in the back, if I don't wear something with longsleeves to cover my arm, I usually get a bunch of mini rashes all over where I made contact with plants.

Foods were basically okay, but they tested for oranges, potatoes, peanuts, strawberries, and one other thing I can't remember (my form doesn't have the foods listed, unfortunately).

So the immunotherapy goes like this, I'll be injected with the allergens on a weekly basis for about 2-3 years, and as my body becomes used to the allergens, they bump me up in dosage. Once I get to the highest dose after a while, I'll get shots on a monthly basis, and then after that it's every 3-4 months. It's worth it to me since I do love being outdoors, and I love to go camping.