Photo

Milk & Honey Mask

milk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

So, I've been doing this homemade mask at home for a few months now and had to share it with everyone. I know I got this idea from somewhere, don't think it was this site, but maybe another one on acne. Anyway, all you need for this mask is salt, honey and milk, all things that are usually found in your kitchen already. I don't use Manuka honey because I'm too cheap and I just use whatever milk is in the fridge, usually 2%. I get out a coffee mug & add a little of each ingredient into it. I then wash my face with just lukewarm water and make sure my hands are cleaned with soap and then use my fingers to mix the ingredients in the mug and then with my fingers scoop out the mixture and spread it on my face. I try to gently rub it across my face in circular motions, so that the salt works a bit to exfoliate the skin. And then once all of it is on my face, leave it on for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off and wash my face with my normal gentle face cleanser so there's no stick bits of honey left.

It's such a basic mask, but I swear by this more than anything. I've been using honey as a basic mask for over a year. I have sensitive skin so if it gets too dry or irritated it takes on this "burnt victim" sort of look, not pretty when you're a pale redhead. The honey always healed this within a few days but when you mix the salt and the milk the results are amazing. The milk acts like a super moisturizer and works instantly. I know people say "You see results right away" all the time but with this I'm being serious. After the first application you'll notice a big difference in texture of your skin. It's very soft and takes out a lot of the dryness.

I know honey has antibacterial properties and helps your skin heal and has a tiny bit of skin lightening to it and besides being a great moisturizer, I also believe milk has lactic acid in it and know a lot of people use lactic acid peels. Results are probably faster with a lactic acid peel, but if your skin is really sensitive like me, you can get nice results with just milk.

This isn't an instant thing for redmarks, because with everything it's still a bit of a process but I've had mine off and on since this time last year, they go away and I get more. My acne was just out of control last summer and now that's it's settled I'm trying to get rid of these red spots that cover a lot of my face. I use this mask every day usually in the morning and am noticing a slight improvement in the marks, but a general glow and healthy look to the rest of my skin as well. And best of all, this has never cause any acne breakouts, initial breakouts, nothing and I've been using this for a few months. It's gentle enough to do every day.

Only downside is it's time consuming, the milk smell is a bit off putting to me at times(almost like baby vomit) and it's kind of a sticky mess(just down put too much or it'll run down your face). But it's a small price to pay if it'll get rid of the marks.

So yeah, just really happy with this homemade mask and thought I'd share with everyone. It really is great and helps during the winter dry months and does not irritate your skin anymore like certain acidic masks might.

If anyone has any questions just ask me. Hope this helps someone. biggrin.gif

#2 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

Sounds like another mask that I would be tempted to lick off of my face. I did a mashed banana and honey mask once. I licked it. Haha. Maybe I should try this one, though. The salt would probably stop me from eating it. I just love honey so much. Haha. wub.gif

90% Clear thanks to Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo!
Current Routine:
-Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub
-Carley's Clear and Smooth Exotic Butter Moisturizer
-Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer with SPF 30
-Clean and Clear Persa Gel Maxiumum Strength (spot treat)
-Tretinoin 0.05% (currently twice weekly at night)
-Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (once a week)
-Everday Minerals Mineral Makeup
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#3 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (AcneSlayer @ Jun 3 2011, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like another mask that I would be tempted to lick off of my face. I did a mashed banana and honey mask once. I licked it. Haha. Maybe I should try this one, though. The salt would probably stop me from eating it. I just love honey so much. Haha. wub.gif

Haha, yeah, that would be super temping to lick off! I know the plain honey mask would run sometimes and I'd find myself licking at it. The salt and the milk give this mask a nasty taste though when mixed together. Not even the sweet taste of the honey can save it, so you shouldn't be tempted to want to taste it. I accidentally get it on my lips now and then and yuck, I can't stand it.

How did your banana and honey mask turn out? I know it sounds pretty delicious squashed between two pieces of bread with a bit of peanut butter added to it tongue.gif

#4 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

I don't know, really. My face felt soft and moisturized afterwards, but I don't know if it helped my acne at all. I only used it like twice. Lol. I have some older bananas right now that I don't want to eat (I like bananas that are still a tiny bit green), so maybe I should try again. I hear honey is a good antibacterial or something? I think? Haha. Maybe I should try your mask.

Current Routine:
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#5 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

Yeah, honey has antibacterial properties in it. I know there are reviews for honey on this message board, I think that's when I start using just plain honey as a mask. I really only used that as just a basic mask, maybe to make my skin appear a bit more fresh and help it along. It didn't do any real noticeable difference by itself I found. The only time honey really worked for me was when I'd use the wrong product on my skin and the upper part of my cheeks always react badly and dry out and turn really red like a chemical burn. I'd put honey on there for about an hour and do this a few times, and within a few days my skin would adjust back to normal.

So, I guess the honey does work to help heal. I know manuka honey is supposed to be the best kind but I've seen that priced at about $40 at the health store and that's too pricey for me.

What are the bananas supposed to do for you?

I almost meant to mention that if you wear makeup, I like to do this mask 20 mins before I'm about to put my makeup on, gives my skin a nice, smooth surface for when I'm putting on my foundation.

#6 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Honestly I have no clue what the bananas were supposed to do. Haha.

Current Routine:
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#7 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Haha, well maybe the potassium helps somehow? And if not, just scrub it all off your face and put it on some toast. Either way you win. lol.gif By the way, I keep wanting to ask you, is that you in your display pic? And I mean that in a completely non creepy way.

#8 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yeah. It looks weird, though. My eyes aren't really that squinty. Haha. It's one of my senior pics. smile.gif

Current Routine:
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#9 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:43 AM

Wow, you are so gorgeous. I mean that in a completely non shallow way. I wasn't sure if that was really you or like maybe the photo of an actress or something like that, but yeah, you're really pretty. Just FYI. lol.

#10 Vinchenzo

Vinchenzo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

Would this mask help with dark spots? Cause that's what most of my acne is right now but I can't find a way to get rid of them. Also how much of each ingredient are you suppose to put in?

#11 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (Little Kid @ Jun 9 2011, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would this mask help with dark spots? Cause that's what most of my acne is right now but I can't find a way to get rid of them. Also how much of each ingredient are you suppose to put in?

I honestly don't measure out how much of each ingredient I pour into the mixture. I'd say around a teaspoon of honey and salt and maybe a 1/4 cup of milk and then I mix it together. There's usually a lot of milk left over, so I put it in the fridge with some saran wrap over top for the next day.

I'm not sure how it will be with dark spots, I'm using it right now to try and help fade my red marks that have been there for a while. I think it's slowly helping them to fade and helps with the overall gross/dull texture of my skin from my acne and the marks. It's worth a try though. I'm still doing it religiously every day, because it does help to a degree and is definitely gentle enough not to break you out. Try it out and see how it works for you, if you get any benefit from it.

For me it takes a lot of general redness out of my skin and hydrates it after all the bp and other products I've used. Sort of restores it a bit and I think(hoping) it's helping with my marks. Good luck hope it helps you. Keep me posted.

#12 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

I'm trying the Cinnamon and Honey mask! I read somewhere it also helps with acne scars.
If anyone needs someone to talk to and vent I am here!
I take:
  • Tumeric (night) 500mg capsules
  • Bragg's ACV (1tsp at night before bed)
  • Multi Vitamin: Multi Complete (Nature Made)
  • C & E (500mg and 400mg) vitamin
  • Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo ****
On my face:
  • Wash face in the morning (ONLY water)
  • Tumeric/Honey before getting it to shower (Not all the time)
  • Honey and cinnamon while in shower
  • NO face makeup (I only wear eyeliner and eyeshadow. No face make up no matter how much it kills me.
  • Garnier Night Peel (Just started this like a week ago)
What causes my acne:
  • Hormones: **** Ortho threw me off and my face was attacked with acne.Posted Image
Face status: Doing alright compared to what I had

Last updated: January 18 ,2013

#13 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Jennaaaay @ Jun 13 2011, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying the Cinnamon and Honey mask! I read somewhere it also helps with acne scars.

Awesome I hope it helps you smile.gif Do you know what the cinnamon is supposed to do for your skin?

#14 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:48 AM

It's said that it helps clear up scars successfully.
And thank you! I hope it helps too! I am desperate! Darn acne... :\
If anyone needs someone to talk to and vent I am here!
I take:
  • Tumeric (night) 500mg capsules
  • Bragg's ACV (1tsp at night before bed)
  • Multi Vitamin: Multi Complete (Nature Made)
  • C & E (500mg and 400mg) vitamin
  • Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo ****
On my face:
  • Wash face in the morning (ONLY water)
  • Tumeric/Honey before getting it to shower (Not all the time)
  • Honey and cinnamon while in shower
  • NO face makeup (I only wear eyeliner and eyeshadow. No face make up no matter how much it kills me.
  • Garnier Night Peel (Just started this like a week ago)
What causes my acne:
  • Hormones: **** Ortho threw me off and my face was attacked with acne.Posted Image
Face status: Doing alright compared to what I had

Last updated: January 18 ,2013

#15 rockets

rockets

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Jennaaaay @ Jun 13 2011, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's said that it helps clear up scars successfully.
And thank you! I hope it helps too! I am desperate! Darn acne... :\

How often?

#16 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Just wanted to update this thread to add that I'm changing a few things in this recipe. Last few nights I've replaced the salt with white sugar instead, it's a bit grittier and scrubs better I find. I still follow the same directions, scrub very gently as I spread the mask on and then I try to leave it on a bit longer. I've only been doing this the last few nights and so far so good. I notice my marks appear a bit lighter over the last few weeks.

Also thinking I might change from milk to sour cream, someone mentioned that and I don't know, I guess I assume the lactic acid content in the sour cream might be higher? Definitely not the most aromatic mask out there, but I'll rub anything on my face to get rid of these marks. But we'll see about the sour cream.

FYI, the only other thing I'm doing to my skin at the moment besides this is a gentle face cleanser morning and night (Spectro Gel Blemish Prone Skin) and the Spectro Gel Blemish moisturizer and at night 5% BP on my acne prone areas, i.e. chin, jaw line and forhead and then Jamieson's Retinol A moisturizer. And then I do this mask once a day. or at least I try to. So, just in case anyone was curious, thought I'd update this.

I'll keep you all posted to how this mask is going. Hoping it yields some good results before I go camping in a few weeks.

#17 philopian tube

philopian tube

XD

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Nice, keep us posted babyhilts!

#18 babyhilts

babyhilts

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

UPDATE:

So, last Friday I started developing a horrible breakout on my cheeks, forehead and chin. Not really a breakout of pimples but more of a series of dry, red bumps. I have severely sensitive skin and this happens to me if I act like an idiot and get overzealous with something. So, just had to add that the sugar is probably too abrasive for some skin types. Taking that out of my mask for now. Might not be too bad if you use it once and a while or if your skin isn't so reactive.

Still, the honey and milk together I believe is a nice mask. Going to move towards raw honey to see if it helps any more than regular, store bought honey. Right now just using the honey though to help heal the damage I just did to my skin. Also, going to try using Zinc cream 40% it's for diaper rash, but I've heard good things about it for red marks and active acne, so we'll see. Skin is a mess right now anyway.

#19 philopian tube

philopian tube

XD

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (babyhilts @ Jun 29 2011, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UPDATE:

So, last Friday I started developing a horrible breakout on my cheeks, forehead and chin. Not really a breakout of pimples but more of a series of dry, red bumps. I have severely sensitive skin and this happens to me if I act like an idiot and get overzealous with something. So, just had to add that the sugar is probably too abrasive for some skin types. Taking that out of my mask for now. Might not be too bad if you use it once and a while or if your skin isn't so reactive.

Still, the honey and milk together I believe is a nice mask. Going to move towards raw honey to see if it helps any more than regular, store bought honey. Right now just using the honey though to help heal the damage I just did to my skin. Also, going to try using Zinc cream 40% it's for diaper rash, but I've heard good things about it for red marks and active acne, so we'll see. Skin is a mess right now anyway.

Darn, I wish you luck with further progress!