Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clare M.

Accutane Log

229 posts in this topic

Day 6

My back is killing me today!! It hurts to bend forward. I noticed it last night before I went to bed so I don't think I messed it up in my sleep...ahhh. It hurts to bend forward and type this. Alright, well, I can definitely feel the side effects! My lips are dry but not bothersome at all. I've been applying chapstick randomly. My face is a lot dryer than usual. Usually by this time, my forehead is an oil slick. It looks perfectly dry and has no shine to it. If this is an indication of how my skin is going to look post-Accutane then that's awesome. However, my jawline and cheeks are SOO flaky and tight. It looks disgusting. A lot of the healed pimples from my recent breakout are scabbing over and flaking off...sort of gross, but that's good I suppose. I'm wondering how the hell I am going to apply makeup when this dryness is at the extreme. Ughh. I refuse to leave the house without some sort of concealer. I usually use Mary Kay concealer and then the Bare Minerals loose powder over.

So, does anybody know if the dryness and flakiness lasts the entire course of Accutane? I can deal with the dryness. But the flakes are so irritating because I can't even chew food or wipe my mouth without flakes of my skin falling off.

How is everybody else doing??

Day 6

My back is killing me today!! It hurts to bend forward. I noticed it last night before I went to bed so I don't think I messed it up in my sleep...ahhh. It hurts to bend forward and type this. Alright, well, I can definitely feel the side effects! My lips are dry but not bothersome at all. I've been applying chapstick randomly. My face is a lot dryer than usual. Usually by this time, my forehead is an oil slick. It looks perfectly dry and has no shine to it. If this is an indication of how my skin is going to look post-Accutane then that's awesome. However, my jawline and cheeks are SOO flaky and tight. It looks disgusting. A lot of the healed pimples from my recent breakout are scabbing over and flaking off...sort of gross, but that's good I suppose. I'm wondering how the hell I am going to apply makeup when this dryness is at the extreme. Ughh. I refuse to leave the house without some sort of concealer. I usually use Mary Kay concealer and then the Bare Minerals loose powder over.

So, does anybody know if the dryness and flakiness lasts the entire course of Accutane? I can deal with the dryness. But the flakes are so irritating because I can't even chew food or wipe my mouth without flakes of my skin falling off.

How is everybody else doing??

Hey Claire Bear! hahahahaha-sorry I just couldn't resist. Okay I wont do it again, I promise!

I'm glad your course is looking up. I'm with ya on this dryness business. I really can't remember if the flakyness goes away. I really feel like you should try that baking soda exfoliating method and then also some oil of some sorts with moisturizer overnight. (I had posted it on my log) It really helps with the flaking. But the whole dryness and make-up thing, ugh-nothing helps-it sucks! Big time! If you find a way to fix this whole make-up issue, I would love to know.

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

A grand total of 14,400mg!

If I'm correct, at 60kg that comes to 240mg per kg.

I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:

Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well

Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up

Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Lush Facial Cream-Use at night

Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer

Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it

Sunblock For Face-"MyChelle" Replenishing Solar Defense-Use in Morning

Make-up:

Primer-"Giorgio Armani" Fluid Master Primer-Before Foundation

Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush

Concealer-"YSL" Anti-Cernes

Loose Setting Powder-"Giorgio Armani" Micro-Fil Loose Powder

Bronzer Powder-"Smashbox" Bronze Lights

Blush-"Dior" Glowing Powder Blush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

Haha ok thanks. I will try that baking soda idea. It looks so gross haha. I really hope the IB isn't too bad. Ughhh breakout + dry nasty skin sounds horrible. Have you tried jojoba oil with moisturizer?

Haha ok thanks. I will try that baking soda idea. It looks so gross haha. I really hope the IB isn't too bad. Ughhh breakout + dry nasty skin sounds horrible. Have you tried jojoba oil with moisturizer?

Day 7

I woke up this morning with pretty much no oil on my face. Usually my face is pretty oily in the morning. I haven't been washing my face in the mornings lately since it dries and tightens everything up and it is soooo uncomfortable. Last night I added jojoba oil to my moisturizer. I think it has really helped with the flakes. So I have this thin, flake-like piece of skin on my lower left cheek along my jawline. I know it was probably because this was the most dry part of my skin. Well, anyway, it looks disgusting. I look like a peeling little creature or something. Ughhh, joy, I get to go into work tomorrow under bright lights. Fantastic.

Well, no IB thus far. No new pimples really. I had a tender one developing on my forehead (yes, very attractive) but the Accutane literally dried it out overnight. So awesome. Lips are dry, chapstick isn't necessary yet. I've been drinkings lots of water. I had 2 glasses of wine the other night :S (hope that was okay). I just hope this peeling face thing slows down a bit.

How is everybody else doing? I'm going to read your logs now. :)

Edit: Meant the flakes look gross, not the baking soda idea. :S hehe

I haven't tried jojoba oil, but it seems to be quite popular on here. So, do you know what it's good for? Like, almond oil is good for calming & vitamin e oil is good for scars.

And to answer an earlier question that you had asked, I will be on accutane for 5 months-you?

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:

Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well

Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up

Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer

Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it

Make-up:

Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

I haven't tried jojoba oil, but it seems to be quite popular on here. So, do you know what it's good for? Like, almond oil is good for calming & vitamin e oil is good for scars.

And to answer an earlier question that you had asked, I will be on accutane for 5 months-you?

Jojoba oil is really great for dry skin. It really helps with the flakes and dryness - making it much easier to apply makeup also. You should try it. And I'm not sure how long I'm going to be on it - my doctor said like 5 to 6 months.

Good luck Clare! You are a day ahead of me! I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms as you. Itchy face, dry lips, tight face etc. No back pain though. Although it may not be related to the Accutane. Maybe you just slept on it funny :surprised:

40mg (first two weeks) - DONE

80mg (for the rest of the Accutane course) - DONE

Total time on Accutane: 141 Days

My Accutane log: Right Here!

Good luck Clare! You are a day ahead of me! I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms as you. Itchy face, dry lips, tight face etc. No back pain though. Although it may not be related to the Accutane. Maybe you just slept on it funny :surprised:

Thank you!! I probably did sleep on it wrong haha. I hope we see results fast...so desperate! :S

Jojoba oil is really great for dry skin. It really helps with the flakes and dryness - making it much easier to apply makeup also. You should try it. And I'm not sure how long I'm going to be on it - my doctor said like 5 to 6 months.

Okay, so I just bought some jojoba oil and will be using it tonight! ;) I'm crazy. Now I have like four different oils that I can put on my face. Not all at once of course. A little overboard.

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

SKINCARE:

Make-up:

Okay, so I just bought some jojoba oil and will be using it tonight! ;) I'm crazy. Now I have like four different oils that I can put on my face. Not all at once of course. A little overboard.

Lol. Well if it works then it works! :)

Day 8

No new breakouts. I wonder if I'm even going to go through an initial breakout. My skin is never this dry. I love it. I've noticed my skin breaks out, usually, when I'm over oily. The times I've been dried out (while starting BP), my skin clears. I only broke out when I became adjusted to the BP and the oil returned. But then again, when my hormones fluctuate, I'm covered in huge bumps. Who knows. Probably a little too much optimistic thinking here but it's much needed.

Ughh, my lips are so unbearable today. It feels like a thick, dry piece of skin covering my lips. Lol, that sounds kind of weird. No matter how much chapstick I load on, I can still feel the dryness. Ickk. I've noticed Burt's Bees is really horrible for this dry of lips. Aquaphor really does work the best, imo. Skin is drying more and more. Not flaking so much since I've added jojoba oil in. I LOVE that stuff. My nose is dry and sore.

Sorry my daily posts are so redundant. I want to track my course daily to read the changes since I'm to chicken to takes progress photos.

Ok back to finish Fahrenheit 451 (AWESOME book) :)

So I used the jojoba oil again last night. I like it. Seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion. Glad everything is going well for you. Today is my 2 week mark and no IB yet. Whoohoo! Maybe you and I will be the lucky ones. You never know.......;)

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

SKINCARE:

Make-up:

So I used the jojoba oil again last night. I like it. Seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion. Glad everything is going well for you. Today is my 2 week mark and no IB yet. Whoohoo! Maybe you and I will be the lucky ones. You never know.......;)

I hope so! I'm noticing new pimples I get are just drying up since there is barely any oil on my face to "fuel" them.

Day 10

Ugh the tightness in my face is SOO uncomfortable. I'm surprised with how healthy and nice my skin is looking though...knock on wood. My nose is flaky and peeling. Appetite is off... I haven't been eating as much. My chin has always been a problem area so I can't wait until the medicine finally starts to work in that area. I keep getting little pimples there. Lips are more dry. I kind of feel like I've hit a plateau with the side effects though...they have been staying relatively the same for the past day or 2.

On a side note...

Why are the pills SOO damn hard to remove from the packaging haha. I have to cut them out haha.

Day 12

My face was so tight and uncomfortable at work yesterday. It was probably the worse so far. It was even annoying to eat my lunch because it literally felt like my skin was cracking when I would open my mouth. And my lips were so dry - chapstick didn't even make a difference. Nose is super chapped and dry. It even started bleeding on the side when I scratched it from the dryness. Neosporin does a pretty good job for keeping it moist. It feels like all chapsticks, even Aquaphor, just coat and sit on top of my dry lips. It feels so ucky. I don't have any active acne. I'm pretty red but makeup is still easy to use and covers up mostly everything. Thank god for being a girl. The tightness feels horrible but when I look in the mirror it is unnoticeable for the most part. I get why people say the Accutane course is so rough. The tightness and dryness is almost painful. I was SOO exhausted yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was the Accutane because I'm usually good to go after my first cup of coffee. But nope, not yesterday. I wanted to get off work so badly so I could coat my face with lotion. Haha I couldn't stop thinking about how good that would feel!

Can anyone recommend a good chapstick that actually penetrates the dry lips - doesn't sit on top??? I've tried Carmex, Aquaphor, Burt's Bees are horrible, Vaseline is alright.

So amen to the wanting to get home to put lotion on. My husband just does not get it. I read him that part of your post so he would know that it's not just me. ;)

Maybe this will help you out. Last night when I was putting my lotion mixed in with "Weleda" Calendula oil, I for whatever reason (I think I was just too lazy to get up to grab my carmex) decided to put some of it on my lips. It felt great, (obviouy very oily) but after a bitbit was gone-I think my lips absorbed it! So I put more on and then more. As of today, I have yet to put carmex on, just the oil-once. Wow! My lips feel almost normal. I think that this might be my new thing every night.

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

SKINCARE:

Make-up:

So amen to the wanting to get home to put lotion on. My husband just does not get it. I read him that part of your post so he would know that it's not just me. ;)

Maybe this will help you out. Last night when I was putting my lotion mixed in with "Weleda" Calendula oil, I for whatever reason (I think I was just too lazy to get up to grab my carmex) decided to put some of it on my lips. It felt great, (obviouy very oily) but after a bitbit was gone-I think my lips absorbed it! So I put more on and then more. As of today, I have yet to put carmex on, just the oil-once. Wow! My lips feel almost normal. I think that this might be my new thing every night.

Hmm that's interesting maybe I'll try using the jojoba oil on my lips to see if that works...thanks for the tip! What moisturizer do you use?? It feels like 5 minutes after I apply mine, it already absorbs and the dryness is back.

Hmm that's interesting maybe I'll try using the jojoba oil on my lips to see if that works...thanks for the tip! What moisturizer do you use?? It feels like 5 minutes after I apply mine, it already absorbs and the dryness is back.

I use "California Baby" Calendula lotion in the morning. I like it because it absorbs really fast which is important when you are in a hurry and need to get dressed. Calendula is also known for it's healing properties. It's great for all those "mystery rashes." At night, I use "Sanitas" Body Butter mixed with "Weleda" Calendula Body Oil. I'm pretty greasy when I'm done, but my skin feels so nice and moisturized in the morning.

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

SKINCARE:

Make-up:

Day 13

I haven't had any new acne since I've started. The dryness halts all pimple development pretty much. My chin is another story. I keep getting these large, cyst-like pimples on my chin. They are really tender too. Ughh, I can't wait until those disappear! :3

I've also noticed that a lot of the gunk in my pores has been "pushed" up by the Accutane. They aren't zits, more like hard sebum that I can remove with tweezers. I'm wondering if this is the purging from the Accutane? I'm guessing so and hoping so because this is entirely tolerable. I'm crossing my fingers.

don't remove them with tweezers. just let them fall off by themselves

don't remove them with tweezers. just let them fall off by themselves

Eh, I don't see the harm. It's not like I'm digging into my skin with the tweezers. It just sticks out from the top so I pull it out...sounds a bit gross. :S

Day 14

So this skin peeling thing is REALLY frustrating. Makeup goes on fine but I swear, within an hour, my skin is so dry that the makeup practically peels off. Ughh, I do not know how to avoid this! I can't not wear makeup - that is 100x worse than the flaky/peeling situation I've got going on. I just hate being at work where everybody can check out my dry and flaking face. :3 Blehh. Maybe I need a more heavy duty moisturizer. How do you other girls deal with this??

Also, so I came home from work today and noticed this flake of skin on my cheek. It came off so gently (I wasn't poking or forcing the skin up) to expose raw, pink skin underneath!! Ahhh. Jeeze what is this Accutane doing! I'm just going to stop touching the flakes even though it is so hard not to.

My boss (he's a pharmacist) was saying that after 2 or 3 weeks the dryness should ease up quite a bit. I hope he's right.

Anywho, nothing new to report - just the same old dryness/miserableness. :(

Hi Claire! I use a moisturizer and then a primer. The primer makes a world of difference. And I think your boss is right becUae I have been noticing that my (face) skin isn't as dry. I mean don't get me wrong, it's still dry and is a little peely but not like it was.

29 Year Old Female

Started Claravis 7/14/11

6 Months @ 80mg a Day

Ended 1/13/12

SKINCARE:

Make-up: