Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meganwillnotpick

30 DAY NO PICKING CHALLENGE

148 posts in this topic

Day 7 for me, did not pick today and my skin is starting to look a lot better :D Of course its incredibly tempting because my skin decided to challenge my mental-steel by giving me a big ol' pimple right in the middle of my chin, all red and angry looking, but I'm just trying to not think about it and occupy my day with other things. I almost picked it quite a few times but I didn't and that should be commemorated :clap:

I'm starting to think those who succeed for the 30 day challenge should reward themselves at the end of it.. What would you choose your reward to be? It's summer so I would like some ice cream, or a root beer float - I never eat sweets so that would be a nice treat.

Status report megan! Successful thus far? :)

Hi, I'm Kaila.

I do the DKR with Cetaphil cleanser once a day (usually at night) and 1/2 dose BP. Sometimes I use AHA+ in addition to moisturizer but not much anymore. 100% clear for months and months! (Keep in mind that when I started, I needed to do the full-blown Regimen for 3 months before I could start cutting back)

Feel free to PM me!

Sorry for being gone so much. I'm trying hard to be here for you guys more.

@Paul great job!! I'm glad we have multiple people doing the challenge, more accountability :)

Hi, I'm Kaila.

I do the DKR with Cetaphil cleanser once a day (usually at night) and 1/2 dose BP. Sometimes I use AHA+ in addition to moisturizer but not much anymore. 100% clear for months and months! (Keep in mind that when I started, I needed to do the full-blown Regimen for 3 months before I could start cutting back)

Feel free to PM me!

Cant post much right now (studying for finals-lets hope the stress wont make me pick), but u guys are doing great! Keep up the good work:)

Yesterday, day 9: woo didnt pick!

Today, day 10: didnt pick either:D

Im feeling good, although i may be slipping a little, stress is giving me the urge to pick. Guess i just gotta ignore it!

Night:

-Remove eye makeup w/ sunflower/jojoba/olive oil

-10 second gentle cleanse with Aveda Outer Peace Foaming Cleanser

-Differin

-1% Clindamycin phosphate lotion

-Doxycycline 100mg (down to once a day!)

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

I also take a multivitamin, fish oil, and zinc.

(P.s. I used to be loveNlipgloss)

My Skin Picking Log

You guys are awesome. :D Do you count squeezing/extracting really grotesque yellow blemishes as picking...? I try not to pick and fail because I'll go to put my makeup on and there'll be large whiteheads staring back at me. Not sure what to do.

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?

Hi, I'm Elle.

Picking is NOT really a hard thing not to do. Seriously. I haven't picked any of my acne in probably 2 years. I did when I first started getting acne in 2009, but in 2010 I stopped all that. Believe me, it helps. Also, don't pop your pimples. I haven't done that since 2009 either. Both of them just worsen the issue. How did I do both of these? Simple. Keep your hands off your face and DON'T LOOK IN THE MIRROR (for popping pimples). If you don't look in the mirror, how can you know if there's a pimple that needs popping? Control yourself.

December 21, 2012

I'm glad that you find it easy to control the urge to pick. :) The thing is, those of us who do understand that it does no good, we don't like doing it, it's compulsive behaviour that is very difficult to break. It's not a matter of not looking in the mirror, because compulsive pickers often pick without looking at their skin. I'm barely aware of what I'm doing sometimes when I'm watching TV or I'm at the computer, and I've picked at my skin without even realizing it.

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?

Hi, I'm Elle.

Day 15 and I picked. Got a pimple on the left of my jaw line and I just thought, "Right! You're gonna die!" :lol: It was really hurting and it feels better now.

So I made it 2 weeks which is amazing for me. I've always popped every single spot I've ever had. I thought that's what you were supposed to do because I didn't know any better. I was told to do that by my parents when I first started getting spots. It might not have been so bad if it was a pimple that was clearly ready to go and the extraction was a clean one, but it snowballed, I popped anything and everything, squeezed and picked whatever I could find, and it became a habit. I felt like I needed to do it.

Been almost clear for a few weeks now, whether that's by chance and it's a temporary thing or it's the start of clearing up long-term, but it's meant that there has been a lot less to pick. It's done me a favour because it's showed me that I can break that habit and change my behaviour. Showed me I can stop or at the very least significantly reduce something which was actually just as routine as getting up in a morning.

I totally agree with you, Gutterflower, that it's not a matter of stepping away from the mirror of just stopping touching your face and so on. These things can be hard to break. I did it pretty much all day, every day, for 13 years. It because like a totally natural thing and you can get trapped in it without realising. If you're going to give it a go, or at least reduce the amount you pick, I found it best that I didn't actually focus on doing it. Sounds like a contradiction - focusing on not focusing on it - but I just think if I'd have constantly been thinking, 'Must not pick, must not pick, must not pick', that would have stressed me out and I'd have been stood in front of the mirror. I have things to occupy my time and my mind instead recently, and even though most of them haven't been good things, it took my attention away from my skin. I figure that if I can find positive things to occupy my time and my thoughts, I'll be too busy to pick and so on.

I think it's more important to offer people encouragement than it is to make blanket statements about how "easy it is not to pick". That's not going to help anyone and it's not supportive. We have to be practicle about these things in order to break the cycle. So to everyone else who is still going, whatever day you're on, good work! Keep going!

So, I didn't make the challenge but I went 2 whole weeks without picking, which is a whole new world for me. I'll focus on that and just go again. :)

Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become habits
Habits become character
Character becomes destiny
It is time to change my destiny

You look like a guy I banged once.

Whoa, long post there!

I picked today:( starting tomorrow at day 1!

And two weeks is GREAT!! good job keep it up!!:D

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

Ugggghhh well I didn't pick yesterday but my significant other did. He's a picker like me (well actually he was the one that taught me to pick 2.5 years ago and I am finally trying to stop this awful compulsion) and he kept staring at it and got me when my guard was down :doh:

BUT I didn't pick. And my pimple isn't looking too angry at me. I think it's feeling rather resigned, actually, like "I know I can't win this battle, what with the BP all on me morning and night, so I give up". So that's heartening in my fight against acne, I suppose.

But in the fight against picking it makes it a bit more tempting, knowing the repurcussions are becoming less.

MUST BE VIGILANT!

Will hopefully get on tonight to hopefully report a day of no picking.

Good luck with your finals megan!

Hi, I'm Kaila.

Feel free to PM me!

Thanks, yeah it was probably the fact that i only got 2 hrs of sleep last night and the stress of finals and whatnot. I pretty much destroyed my face:( but hey, i made 10 days this time, so im gonna go for 15 days now!!!

2 more days of school left, then i can really focus on beating this!!

Im just really sick of this dumb habit.

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

That's one week down, so far so good. I have to say, I've been extremely tempted to pick and scratch several times, but I've managed to control myself. Seeing how nicely stuff heals definitely encourages me to stay focused. Previous summers, I've been stuck in jeans or other long pants because my legs have looked horrible. This year, I no longer feel the need to hide them - which is fantastic.

I'm sorry to hear that you two picked, but your attitudes are great. You've already avoided it for a long time, proving that you can do this. =)

yeah i guess your right :D i just hope i can keep this whole avoiding-picking thing up! my legs look gross too. and back. and shoulders and chest and face and neck. :(

today marks day 1 for me!

one more treacherous day of finals!!

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

Count me in!

Every time my face starts looking slightly better I F it up by picking!!!!

So I picked last night and today is my day 1.

I also have an app thing on my phone which counts days and I've started that today lol! (ok so it says Day 1 of diet but I know what it really means ha!) Just hope no-one sees it on my phone as I'm slim anyway and they'll think I'm turning anorexic ha!

Good luck everyone, resist the urge!!!!

woohoo finals are over and its officially summer! now im going to try and focus on just improving me:) ive been quite a mess lately; depressed, picking, stress, anxiety, etc.

today is day 2: havent picked yet (its not night time yet so who knows i could still pick, but i dont plan to) :)

and northlincs4kylie good luck to you too! stay strong, you can do this :D

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

well i picked a little today. starting tomorrow again at day 1.

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

Keep fighting!

I'm on day 13 I think, not really keeping an exact count. While I've had the determination to restrain myself, I don't feel like much progress has been made. I'm still tempted at times and sometimes I catch myself trying to pick something without even thinking about it. I hope it'll pass eventually.

Hi im new and i just found you post yay!! i went a whole week w/o picking but i relapsed just the other day :( so dissapointing....i heard it took about 20 to 30 days to kick a habit so im going to join this challenge tomorrow ill try for day 1 of no picking and report here if i need any help:)

i'm relapsing as well. in lack of better words: it just totally sucks.

partly sick of myself not being able to change, partly happy to be able to jump back on the proverbial waggon and not giving up.

what really works for me is to do stuff that involves my creativity and focus when i'm home alone, like writing or drawing, instead of watching tv or doing something mindless like that - because that just builds angst in me. So now i'm heading to the gym, and when i get back i'll keep myself busy in the kitchen.

we're gonna make it!

I failed around day 15. This (sorry about the details) huge, disgusting thing started to grow on the side of my nose, and it was just begging to be removed. And so it was. I also picked some on my feet and legs while I was at it. I'm suffering the consequences now, and it's back to square one. Luckily I started working today, so hopefully it'll take my mind off the picking urge. Fingers crossed.

I started from day 1, two hours and 40 minutes ago exactly. I hope I can last. I'm going without makeup for as long as possible as well. I'm ready to get this stuff fixed.

im on day 3 ish? idk i stopped counting. but overall i havent picked in a while, so thats good! keep up the good work guys!

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log

I havent been doing so good:/ ive gone about 2 days on average with no picking, but then i relapse:( im kind of out of motivation:/ but here we go again! Im not really focusing on counting the days, just getting over this overall.

Night:

-Differin

Morning:

-Cleanse with Aveda

-Aveeno Spf 30

My Skin Picking Log