Cod liver oil

pimple pimples vitamin d vitamin a calcium green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*

Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

So ive been putting this off for a while now, but i have to let you all know about cod liver oil. I promise this will be short and to the point. My background: acne at 16 for 6 years(everytype and all over, including back/neck) Used every product under the sun except accutane/acutane?
For a while i was only using olive oil on my skin, and that was better than any product i've used. But i haven't done that in around four or five months.
About that time i started to take cod liver oil (nature made, but heard carlson's is good brand too). I started taking enough everyday with meals to where i was ingesting 20,000 iu's of vitamin A and 2080 iu's of vitamin D a day. Keep in mind these are naturally occurring in the cod liver oil, not added. Also during this time i stopped using anything on my face and switched to simply letting water run over my face in the shower. After the first month i noticed my face was looking significantly healthier. The second month i was like, "wow, it's been a while since i've had a full blown pimple. By the third month i was thinking, "wow, it's been a while since i've worried about having acne" And now i rarely think about my skin.
Granted there are some other lifestyle changes i have made including no dairy, very little sugar, vitamin c and calcium supplements, clean pillow cases, healthy diet including decaf green tea. But i've been off dairy for around 8 months, and though it helped, it was nothing compared to using cod liver oil.
There have been times where i forget to shower for a couple days, and i don't even worry about a breakout. And it never comes. I have tried supplementing with vit A and D before, but using the synthetic kind, and it did little for my skin. So there is a huge difference. Plus the omega 3 fatty acids are huge when it comes to healthy skin. Please, if you do one thing for your skin, resist the urge to use topicals and start attacking from the inside. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me this even a year ago, but now i wish i would have realized this much earlier. So i hope this helps anyone and everyone

#2 shai

shai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

hey am planning on starting vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin D tomorrow..Asked my dad to buy them. I have also started clindamycin solution and tretinoin since 2 weeks..i dont have much acne..but lots of red scars..i hope the vitamins work..

i'm a bit scared to stop the topicals..for how long have you been taking the vitamins?

#3 Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*

• Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

I've been taking the vitamin C and calcium for about 8 months, but the cod liver oil for about four. And again i wouldn't advise taking the A and D synthetically, which is how it is if it's not found in a natural food source like cod liver oil. As i said, i noticed a huge difference from when i was supplementing with synthetics vs. the real stuff. And as for the topicals, it is going to take some courage to get off of them. It was tough for me to make that decision, but i'm so glad i did.

#4 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

I just switched from Fish Oil to Cod Liver Oil. I'm taking the liquid softgels and taking about 4 a day. Just started yesterday so we'll see if I see any improvement.

20,000 IU's seems a bit extreme. I'm getting about 5,000 from the softgels and another 1,000 from my multivitamin.

Are you taking the pills or the liquid?

#5 Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*

• Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Very cool, i think you're going to be glad you switched. And yeah, i've been taking the capsule form.
I know 20,000 seems pretty high, but everything i've read says it's good until about 50,000. And i feel comfortable doing this because it's coming from a natural food source. If it were synthetic i'd be hesitant to ingest that much. But again, i'm glad to hear you're giving this a shot, and you'll have to let me know how it works for you

#6 spillett

spillett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (i luv elizabeth taylor @ May 31 2011, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool, i think you're going to be glad you switched. And yeah, i've been taking the capsule form.
I know 20,000 seems pretty high, but everything i've read says it's good until about 50,000. And i feel comfortable doing this because it's coming from a natural food source. If it were synthetic i'd be hesitant to ingest that much. But again, i'm glad to hear you're giving this a shot, and you'll have to let me know how it works for you

I started and my skin has got worse...? Any suggestions?

#7 AmaraG

AmaraG

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (spillett @ May 31 2011, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (i luv elizabeth taylor @ May 31 2011, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started and my skin has got worse...? Any suggestions?

some people are allegric to fish or toxins which can be in fish. maybe try borage oil or flax seed oil.

#8 Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*

• Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hey spillet, i've been trying to find as much info as i can about a possible IB for some people. I've read that the increase in vitamin A can cause an initial breakout similar to accutane, in that things seem to get worse before they improve (on a much smaller scale obvioiusly). I suppose this makes sense because it's a big change for your body. The best suggestion i have may be to start out in a smaller dose, and gradually work your way up to what i've been taking. And yeah, if you know or suspect that you are allergic to fish, i would steer away from any fish oils

#9 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

I also feel like I broke out with whiteheads more than usual once I started taking the cod liver oil. Its only been a few days.... Could be a coincidence or an initial breakout. Going to keep taking it and see what happens.

Did you ease your way into the large amount you are taking or did you attack it full force? surprised.gif

#10 Guest_i luv elizabeth taylor_*

• Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Honestly i should have kept better track of how much i was taking initially. The last thing i want is for people to be turned off of this stuff because i'm a bad instructor. I honestly feel like the best way to try this based on you guys' feedback is a little at a time. As in maybe a quarter of what i'm taking everyday, and then maybe going to half after a month or so, and then 3/4, and then full on. I know initial breakouts are no fun, so if easing into it reduces the IB or eliminates it altogether i'm all for that.
I was reading up on green tea and saw alot of people say they broke out after starting it, but after sticking with it for while it eventually cleared them up. I know vitamin A and green tea are not the same, but this is just an example of how big changes to the system can take a little time for your body to get used to. So to anyone thinking of starting cod liver oil, it might be easier for you to adjust to in small doses at first