Photo

Moisturizer on Chemical Burns?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 alackofcolor

alackofcolor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

I used to use Benzoyl Peroxide like how the regimen recommends and it was fine, I just got some flakiness. Then I weaned off and my face is clear with standard cleanse/tone/moisturize.

Now idk what happened. A year later I'm hyper sensitive to BP. I put such a tiny layer on 3 or 4 zits and on my forehead- the EXACT same brand and everything.
I got chemical burns from it a couple days ago and with the aid of some aloe vera it's beginning to slooowly fade!
The thing is though it's become really dry today.. I've heard conflicting advice on this but I was wondering if I could use moisturizer to just keep it moist. I really wanna get rid of this because I can't wash my face, take a warm shower or anything and I don't want my acne to come back neutral.gif

My regular moisturizer has salicylic acid in it.. but I was thinking this one would help?
http://www.boots.com...m-125ml_956101/
Simple Derma Intensive Relief Cream

For skin that is very dry, sensitive or prone to itchy irritating conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. This unique and innovative Simple Derma range prepared by our sensitive skin experts, gives you immediate soothing effects and long lasting care that will calm and help relieve irritated skin.
Specially formulated with a highly effective naturally derived humectant Aquaxyl™ and Canola Oil, this concentrated, fast acting Intensive Relief Cream deeply hydrates, restoring your skin's natural moisture levels as it protects and prevents further moisture loss.
It works by wrapping a protective barrier around your skin that locks moisture in and keeps allergens and irritants out, enhancing your skin's natural barrier function and helping to restore and maintain skin health.

I think that would be appropriate? I used to use it for my flakies and it was brilliant, never broke me out or anything. Can someone give me some advice on if this would help or aggravate the chemical burn. Thank you smile.gif

#2 OmegaisJaded

OmegaisJaded

Pokemon Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'd recommended using Neosporin or Aquaphor on it.

Sometimes lotions have ingredients in them that sting when they come into contact with broken or raw skin. Using a petroleum based product will also protect the wound.

#3 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (OmegaisJaded @ May 23 2011, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd recommended using Neosporin or Aquaphor on it.

Sometimes lotions have ingredients in them that sting when they come into contact with broken or raw skin. Using a petroleum based product will also protect the wound.

I second that.

#4 alackofcolor

alackofcolor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

thanks for the advice, but I haven't seen any of those products where I live sad.gif
but the lotion is formulated for irritated/eczema skin so I don't think it'll irritate
Aqua and Petrolatum are the first two ingredients in the lotion

#5 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

I would also suggest anything like Omega said.
Neosporin, Petroleum Jelly, Aquaphor.... you haven't even
seen these at a grocery store? You should get the purest
moisturizer possible as not to irritate your burns. The
less chemicals the better for now.

#6 alackofcolor

alackofcolor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Nope, no Neospririn or Aquaphor. I searched the local drugstore's website and nothing. If they had it I'd go out and buy it straight away.

Do you think the lotion would irritate? like I said, it's formulated especially for irritated skin and it's a very well trusted brand here for sensitive skin. The first 3 ingredients are water and petroleum products. Isn't Vasaline petroleum jelly? So would it be the same thing kinda.. it has no perfume or colour or anything. I want to avoid leaving the house you see sad.gif

#7 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (alackofcolor @ May 23 2011, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, no Neospririn or Aquaphor. I searched the local drugstore's website and nothing. If they had it I'd go out and buy it straight away.

Do you think the lotion would irritate? like I said, it's formulated especially for irritated skin and it's a very well trusted brand here for sensitive skin. The first 3 ingredients are water and petroleum products. Isn't Vasaline petroleum jelly? So would it be the same thing kinda.. it has no perfume or colour or anything. I want to avoid leaving the house you see sad.gif

I would suggest doing a patch test then. Put it on a small area and see how it goes. Hopefully well. smile.gif

#8 ohhhhhhnooooooo

ohhhhhhnooooooo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Same thing used to happen to me! and whenever I would put on moisturizer, it would feel like it completely dissolved and leave the skin dry.

#9 alackofcolor

alackofcolor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

@bek_cogent
Ah yeah- patch testing is a good idea!
well I put the moisturizer on, mixed with a bit of aloe vera, and it's super greasy! feels like Vaseline when I've rubbed it in. calmed down the itchiness and hydrated the area. hopefully this will promote healing smile.gif

@ohhhhhhnooooooo
yeah I think it's dry because the skin's regenerating/healing and the old burnt skin is flaking off- I really wouldn't know though!:') have you found something effective for healing chemical burns?

#10 ohhhhhhnooooooo

ohhhhhhnooooooo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (alackofcolor @ May 23 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@bek_cogent
Ah yeah- patch testing is a good idea!
well I put the moisturizer on, mixed with a bit of aloe vera, and it's super greasy! feels like Vaseline when I've rubbed it in. calmed down the itchiness and hydrated the area. hopefully this will promote healing smile.gif

@ohhhhhhnooooooo
yeah I think it's dry because the skin's regenerating/healing and the old burnt skin is flaking off- I really wouldn't know though!:') have you found something effective for healing chemical burns?

yeah! I reduced my showering time and instead of using hot water, I used warm water so it wouldn't dry my face. Also, I used Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunblock from Neutrogena SPF 80. Since the SPF is so high, the lotion is pretty thick. This helped my skin stay moisturized and blocked from the sun. Also, this product is oil free so you don't really have to worry about getting your pores clogged and etc. You should give it a try, it stopped my skin from being super dry. My skin was so dry and chemical burnt, it would hurt to apply any moisturizer on my face. I used aloe vera as well. It really helped my skin feel hydrated but it made me get pimples. Hope this helped!

#11 alackofcolor

alackofcolor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:14 AM

That's great advice, thank you smile.gif
They don't sell that sunblock where I live >< But I think the moisturizer I'm using is thick enough. Aloe Vera broke you out? Did you use "pure" aloe vera gel?
Oh and how long did it take for the burn to heal, did it leave a scar?