Photo

Help! Zinc made me sick?

green tea zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Today was the first time I took a zinc supplement. 50mg Zinc Picolinate after a very light breakfast (an apple, some green tea and raisins). Needless to say, 20 minutes later, I found myself in the bathroom being sick sick.gif ahhh! For about 40 minutes or so, I felt really awful sad.gif

So what's up? Should I stop taking it altogether, try 30mg, or take it after a fuller meal? Needless to say I'm a little worried about taking zinc now.. but I really wanted to give it a try.

#2 Melie87

Melie87

We just need to learn how to balance our skin :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

i had read too much zinc is bad for you. Ive got no evidence to give you, it's what I have read. I don't even bother with zinc supp...people are becoming crazy over "vitamins and supplements". Just do your multi vitamin with your dinner once a day. I also drink vinegar water with honey morning and night ( to take care of any toxic buildup in my gut) along with bactrim. I can say I am slightly seeing an improvement, and this is early on.

I think my acne is from toxic build up. I've always eaten well...and I took a hormone test and allergy food test, everything was negative. I think I will do a liver, colon cleanse soon.

#3 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Too much of anything is bad for you.

Zinc tends to do that in most people when you take it on an empty stomach. I can only recommend that you keep taking it on an empty stomach and eventually you get used to it and it won't make you nauseous anymore. Also don't take Zinc with fiber (fruit/veggies) because it inhibits absorption.

If you really don't think you can stomach the zinc alone, take it with some meat.

#4 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

rda is 15, 40 is way too much, as you now know the hard and the best way.

you should be taking b12 anyway, it is probably the second most likely vitamin people are deficient in, in natural foods it is in 3 forms, as adenosylcobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, and methocobalamin.

methocobalamin is used to convert homocysteine into methionine and methionine is converted into cysteine to make glutathione, the bodys most powerful cellular antioxident. clams might be the best source or find a good supplement. there are no supplements that exist with all three in desirable quantities and only 2 manufacturers on the market that use hydroxocobalamin. most who make these supplements use too high of quantities that result in side effects. cyanocobalamin is an ok choice as it converted into methyl and adenyl and possibly hydroxo forms in the body.

vitamin d and calcium are the other most likely deficits.

good luck.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 19 May 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#5 Melie87

Melie87

We just need to learn how to balance our skin :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

blah blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yea too much of anything is bad....duh. People on here are crazy about this vitamin over that one. It's quite overwhelming and why not just be healthy? That's all I am doing and yes I am seeing a DIFF. And not all the time will your acne be cure by a vitamin at all. It'll just be 'good' for you. Until you develop some shit in a few years from it.

#6 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Only take it after you've eaten a proper meal. If I take zinc on an empty stomach or after a light meal, it nauseates me. You don't need a lot of zinc, just the RDA (read the bottle). Don't megadose on it and you'll be okay. Obviously if it still makes you sick after you take it with a meal, then stop taking it.

#7 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

For what it's worth i have always taken zinc on an empty stomach before i go to bed with no problem. I like to have it isolated and with no food afterwards hence before i go to bed.

Can't even remember why i take it now but never really noticed it does anything, a bit like vitamin c and fish oil.

But my my latest bottle just run out which was 30mg gluconate so i moved on to my Picolinate 50 mg the other day.

At first i noticed i was getting some crazy ass dreams but didnt think anything of it or make the connection but then the other night my sleep became highly disrupted, in some kind of weird state like i was semi-conscious or something the whole night, not particularly nice.

Maybe many reasons for this but i wont be having zinc again.

#8 fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I still haven't tried it with food. I have a feeling the 50mg is just too much for my small frame (5'4, 100lbs).. I'm going to get 30mg and try that with a meal. I wanted to try zinc because of how many people have success with clearing breakouts whilst on zinc..hmm..

Currently the supplements I take are Vitex (I have hormonal problems), B complex and a Probiotic. I used to take multivitamins but I was told they aren't that effective, but maybe I'll invest in a decent brand..

OH + I also started taking Pure Synergy (supposedly is very nutrient dense superfood) aaaand I drink ACV in water, lemon water, lots of matcha green tea and peppermint tea smile.gif