Photo

Dirty Room

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DantheDad

DantheDad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

My 18 year old son's bedroom is dirty. I mean really dirty (clothing on the floor, not dusted, moldy pizza, dirty bathroom, etc.) Rather than argue I make him responsible. I have noticed that when he is in his room he will sneeze. I am certain that is related. His Acne problem seems to flair up at times. I can't say for sure that it is caused by spending time in there or not. I can't imagine it is helping. We have a plan - together we are going to clean it once and for all, but I was wondering if there is any info that relates acne to environments like that. Thanks.

#2 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:51 PM

I doubt it.

Don't put your son through a lot of nonsense - my parents did the same thing, telling me that my acne was due to factors related to my lifestyle. Lemme tell ya, that was a bunch of shit. Them prolonging my treatment caused more damage than getting it treated professionally right away - take him to a derm and see what options are available.

Am I bitter toward my parents about all of this..yeah, I am...and that was YEARS ago....I still love them but they should not have been so against the idea of seeking professional help for it.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#3 DantheDad

DantheDad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Eviqrex - for you reply and thoughts.

My son has been going to a derm for two years now. In fact, we are trying a 3rd derm- doing our best to find someone that he is confident with (I think we have a good one this time).

My son has used most every over-the-counter and RX out there. I think part of the problem is not 100% unlike him room - meaning he doesn't keep after it. So there will be days where he will miss his RX, forget to use one of the creams, etc. I can imagine it is all a pain to an 18 year old.

As his Dad I am trying my best - to support his independence and at the same time to help him with his acne which really troubles him. I going to keep the whole "clean room" idea low-key and simple. I am just trying to find any way possible to help my son.

I do appreciate your thoughts.

#4 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:12 PM

Your son has a dust allergy, like me. Ask your doctor about Clarinex or Allegra (NOT Claritin - it does nothing for sneezing). Acne is not from the dust. Also, it's important to get a pillowcase that doesn't let dust through, but still breaths. Your doctor should tell you about it.

Here's what my mom used to say to teach me to be responsible: "I don't care whether or not you clean your room, it's your life. I'm successful already, and you can choose to follow my example, or not. Up to you."

Your son needs to realize that he's the one responsible for his own life, not you, and the best way to do that is to leave him alone.

#5 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

I'm a few years older than your son by the way, and my room is dirty when I'm back home from college. It's hard to make myself clean it, I want to, and I feel guilty when I don't, but it's hard. I'm reading a book right now that's helping me. It's basically a book for people who are depressed, and I'm not, but it provides helpful strategies for anyone who feels discouraged or sluggish. "Feeling Good" by David Burns.

#6 -Misfits-

-Misfits-

Bring Out Your Dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (DantheDad @ Aug 28 2004, 04:15 PM)
I have noticed that when he is in his room he will sneeze.

i sneeze in my room to.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]
Fist in the air, in the land of hypocrisy...

#7 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (DantheDad @ Aug 28 2004, 03:58 PM)
Thanks Eviqrex - for you reply and thoughts.

My son has been going to a derm for two years now. In fact, we are trying a 3rd derm- doing our best to find someone that he is confident with (I think we have a good one this time).

My son has used most every over-the-counter and RX out there. I think part of the problem is not 100% unlike him room - meaning he doesn't keep after it. So there will be days where he will miss his RX, forget to use one of the creams, etc. I can imagine it is all a pain to an 18 year old.

As his Dad I am trying my best - to support his independence and at the same time to help him with his acne which really troubles him. I going to keep the whole "clean room" idea low-key and simple. I am just trying to find any way possible to help my son.

I do appreciate your thoughts.

If the Rx medications he has taken are not working, have you considered accutane? It is a wonder drug for those that are non responsive to other medications.\

Also, make sure he has a good cleaning regimen. He should not touch his face....ever.. if he can help it, and he should use a gentle non-comedogenic cleaner on his face twice daily. Using harsh soaps can excascerbate acne.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#8 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:33 PM

Hi DantheDad,

I am always impressed when parents get on the net and show that they are interested in helping their kids address their skin issue. If only more parents were that way.

Acne is not caused by poor hygiene. Having said that poor hygiene can exacerbate acne and good hygiene routines (ie: regular twice a day cleansing, acne treatment, clean hands, not picking, changing pillowcases and clothes frequently etc) will definitely help. As for your sons room - Unlikely to be worsening his acne. But absolutely won't be helping his general health if there are irritants, dust mites, mold spores hanging about. They typical list of environmental factors that can worsen acne (NOT cause it)

Environmental factors such as:
High humidity causing swelling of the skin
Cosmetics especially certain moisturisers, foundation and pomades (watch out for lanolin, petrolatum, vegetable oils, butyl stearate, lauryl alcohol and oleic acid)
Petroleum oils
Pressure from headbands & chin straps (eg: "fiddler's neck")

http://www.dermnetnz...cne-causes.html

But as you no doubt find...he will resent any directives from you to clean it up. Teenagers have flithy rooms - I did and even tho I'm 29 now my room still ain't sparkling. I think the room kind of expresses the emotional reality of being a teenager...disorganised, secretive, sometimes anti-social and a little self hating. At least that is some the aspects that I have observed and remember.... man I am getting old *sigh*.

The only thing I can really help you with...is...even if a kid doesn't seem to be towing their line in thier own acne treatment. Avoid the temptation to say or do anything which indicates that you feel that they are responsible for their acne. Because acne sufferers have typically pretty low self esteem about they look and often feel isolated already and they will latch on to a careless remark from a parent and remember it forever. Take a quick tour through the emotional forum if you want to get a handle on how acne suffers feel about themselves...beware some of it is quite gruelling reading.

HTH
Frances

#9 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:17 PM

Answer = no.

#10 DantheDad

DantheDad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

Hey Evigrex, teplo and Frances:

Thanks very much for your comments and ideas. They all make sense.

I am going to do the "clean your room" thing as a simple, easy-going, helping hand (I have an excuse - I bought my son a desk for his lap top so I need to set it up). We are also going to go through his old clothes together (donate them) and get him a few new things for school.

All is all I do honor the concept that he deserves his privacy. He accutally seems a little happy that is going to get a fresh clean start.

Thanks everyone!

#11 jazzfan99

jazzfan99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:16 PM

My room isnt dirty, but it is quite dusty. I always try to leave the window open to help get some air flow and try to cut down on all the dust. I dont sneeze or anything when i go in my room, just everything gets dusty frequently. Anyhow, I have noticed that when i shut my window my acne seems to flare up. Because of this, i always try to keep air flow because it can get very stale. So in my experience, it can affect acne, though obviously isnt the main cause.