Photo

Vitamin A AFTER Accutane

vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi.
I know, even after 5 years of taking accutane, vitamin a should be avoided.
I'm currently reading a book by Patrick Holford (The Optimum Nutrition Bible) and he's recommending taking a multivitamin/multimineral... which, after looking online, seem to come as one. Of course, these contain Vitamin A. The only thing I've seen without vitamin a is called 'everythingbuta' and that doesn't contain any essential minerals, it just seems to have the various other b, d, e (etc) vitamins.

I'm trying to cut my supplements down, but how can I do that if a multivitamin contains something I must for-whatever-reason now avoid?

What do you guys, with the side effects, do now?
Any advice would be great

#2 Guest_Modestm_*

Guest_Modestm_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yes, you should stay away from supplemental Vitamin-A. If anything people these days are taking too much vitamins, which are poorly absorbed anyway, in supplement form. Just eat a balanced diet, and get all your nutrition the way God intended.

#3 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

IndigoRush,

I'm post tane as well and if you're worried about not getting enough vitamins/minerals from your diet then I would recommend taking a generic multivitamin like twice a week. Monday/Thursday or something like that. That way you will be supplementing your diet somewhat, but still not receiving too much vitamin a. At least that is what I do. The one I take is like 100% DV of vitamin a so its not really that much considering that you will only be taking it twice weekly. From my experience I don't notice any difference in my side effects when I get a little vitamin a or if I do not. Compared to the amount we took while on tane its really inconsequential. However, I do recommend taking vitamin D3 (like 1000IU) a couple of times a week as well since its hard to reach the DV (which is too low anyways) from foods only. Other than foods such as carrots which are known for their vitamin a value I wouldn't really sweat your diet that much either when it comes to vitamin a. Taking a multivitamin twice weekly and vitamin D3 like three times weekly is all the supplementation you really need if you eat any sort of a healthy diet.

Hope that helps...

#4 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (Modestm @ May 15 2011, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, you should stay away from supplemental Vitamin-A. If anything people these days are taking too much vitamins, which are poorly absorbed anyway, in supplement form. Just eat a balanced diet, and get all your nutrition the way God intended.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Thing is, I'm reading a (really quite fascinating) book called 'The optimum nutrition bible'... and the author is explaining how much of what we buy in supermarkets (fruit for example) is missing the vitamins and nutrition it should contain due to exportation. Oranges have been proven to contain NO vitamin C whatsoever.
Also, RDA means absolutely nothing. 100% guided Vitamin C is only (I think) 60mg. In the book, it has explained how the 20th century has completely changed our diet, compared to that of our ancestors. Animals (who are less prone to illness/disease) make their own vitamin C (justing using C as an example) which can sometimes be the same as 3000mg, onwards.
Therefore he recommends we take a supplement of 1000mg... or eat about 60 oranges.
Obviously, the supplement is easier to take.

But my problem is this, I want to cut out sugar/fat and crap... but a lot of the healthy food like spinach and carrots contain vitamin a :/

But a basic point is that RDA's haven't been altered to suit our poor diet changes and don't take into account the environment changes (pollution etc).

#5 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Seattle JT @ May 15 2011, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IndigoRush,

I'm post tane as well and if you're worried about not getting enough vitamins/minerals from your diet then I would recommend taking a generic multivitamin like twice a week. Monday/Thursday or something like that. That way you will be supplementing your diet somewhat, but still not receiving too much vitamin a. At least that is what I do. The one I take is like 100% DV of vitamin a so its not really that much considering that you will only be taking it twice weekly. From my experience I don't notice any difference in my side effects when I get a little vitamin a or if I do not. Compared to the amount we took while on tane its really inconsequential. However, I do recommend taking vitamin D3 (like 1000IU) a couple of times a week as well since its hard to reach the DV (which is too low anyways) from foods only. Other than foods such as carrots which are known for their vitamin a value I wouldn't really sweat your diet that much either when it comes to vitamin a. Taking a multivitamin twice weekly and vitamin D3 like three times weekly is all the supplementation you really need if you eat any sort of a healthy diet.

Hope that helps...

Thanks matey...
I already take 5000IU of Vitamin D3 (in one capsule). Some people take 10,000IU. It seems to help with bones. Plus, I live in England where there is not often enough sunlights to have me outside. I actually take it every day though. Is there a reason you only take it 3 days a week? I do have a multivitamin with 10% RDA Vitamin A, so I guess that's not too bad..

How are you getting on though? Any bad side effects since finishing accutane? I know you had (and if you're like me, probably still have) flushing.. That's really one of my small problems though.

Cheers

#6 Guest_Modestm_*

Guest_Modestm_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (IndigoRush @ May 15 2011, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thing is, I'm reading a (really quite fascinating) book called 'The optimum nutrition bible'... and the author is explaining how much of what we buy in supermarkets (fruit for example) is missing the vitamins and nutrition it should contain due to exportation. Oranges have been proven to contain NO vitamin C whatsoever.
Also, RDA means absolutely nothing. 100% guided Vitamin C is only (I think) 60mg. In the book, it has explained how the 20th century has completely changed our diet, compared to that of our ancestors. Animals (who are less prone to illness/disease) make their own vitamin C (justing using C as an example) which can sometimes be the same as 3000mg, onwards.
Therefore he recommends we take a supplement of 1000mg... or eat about 60 oranges.

But my problem is this, I want to cut out sugar/fat and crap... but a lot of the healthy food like spinach and carrots contain vitamin a :/

But a basic point is that RDA's haven't been altered to suit our poor diet changes and don't take into account the environment changes (pollution etc).

I'm definitely not advocating that you should avoid healthy food like spinach and carrots, but given your unique circumstances, I would try to avoid supplemental vitamin A. Taking water soluble vitamins like C and B complex is fine. Sure, people could theoretically have some deficiencies, if they eat poorly, but watch the A is my overriding point.

#7 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Modestm @ May 15 2011, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (IndigoRush @ May 15 2011, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm definitely not advocating that you should avoid healthy food like spinach and carrots, but given your unique circumstances, I would try to avoid supplemental vitamin A. Taking water soluble vitamins like C and B complex is fine. Sure, people could theoretically have some deficiencies, if they eat poorly, but watch the A is my overriding point.

Thanks for your help and support. Appreciate it smile.gif

#8 iRyRy

iRyRy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

I'm personally very sensitive to vitamin A. When I take a supplement containing it, my side effects get much worse (hair falling out, overall pain). It's much better with the beta-carotene vitamin A found in food, but I still feel much more tired after eating a lot of carrots or beta-carotene rich foods. I'm trying to restrict them right now and see what happens, and I'm still able to eat healthy without eating these foods.

A lot of people say they have high vitamin A years after taking Accutane, and even after avoiding vitamin A for years (I think oli girl had this too). And I really can't handle vitamin A. I would tell you to avoid it, but it's your choice and your body. Just listen to your body with everything you eat. It will tell you if it's having problems.

Hope that helps.

Edited by iRyRy, 16 May 2011 - 07:09 AM.

#9 Seattle JT

Seattle JT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks matey...
I already take 5000IU of Vitamin D3 (in one capsule). Some people take 10,000IU. It seems to help with bones. Plus, I live in England where there is not often enough sunlights to have me outside. I actually take it every day though. Is there a reason you only take it 3 days a week? I do have a multivitamin with 10% RDA Vitamin A, so I guess that's not too bad..

How are you getting on though? Any bad side effects since finishing accutane? I know you had (and if you're like me, probably still have) flushing.. That's really one of my small problems though.

Cheers
[/quote]

Haha 5000IU daily? That is quite a load. I take 2000IU three times a week only because my levels are already pretty high, like 65-70 last time I got checked. The multi that I take has like 400IU or something too plus I drink milk and eat yogurt almost daily so I get D from those sources as well. I had like a 15-20 level years ago before I learned about vitamin D and I didn't notice any change in going from 15-65 so I'm not optimistic that taking anymore would help anything. 10% vitamin a yeah that's nothing. You should be perfectly fine with that unless you're vitamin a intolerant and not just sensitive. Unless you have an allergic type reaction to the consumption of any a then I wouldn't trip getting small amounts at all. You can't let your sides completely control your live like that, its just not a healthy mentality in my opinion.

Yep still have the flushing. People that I know have had great success with mepacrine, but I personally don't view long term use of a drug as a viable treatment option for my flushing. I really just need a cream to treat my cheeks with. Hmm let me think. I finished accutane in May of 2007 so I guess its been four years. Unfortunately I have another side effect. I have joint/muscle issues and its pretty bad. I literally don't heal properly anymore. Its kind of hard to explain, but if I sprain a muscle it remains sprained to some degree and I can still feel it months later. Its way worse than the flushing. What other sides do you have?

Edited by Seattle JT, 21 May 2011 - 12:28 PM.