Photo

Retin-A Micro Log

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hey guys! A lot has changed since i've last been here! Basically my whole skincare routine as changed (besides Purpose cleansing wash...i love that stuff).
Anyways, last time I was here, I had just started using Ziana topical gel. Now, I have decided to move on and try something different. Ziana wasn't bad, it just wasn't working well enough for me. My skin is relatively clear but lately i've been breaking out pretty badly and so I went to the dermatologist. She recommended I try Retin-A Micro (she also prescribed me this to dry out my face since i have extremely oily skin).

I'm starting out using this every other night and might eventually use it every night, depending on how my face reacts.
I have very sensitive skin so I'm kinda worried about this TBH. Especially after reading all of the horror stories neutral.gif

*DAY 1:
So this was my first night applying Retin-A Micro, and I already notice a difference compared to Ziana. Ziana left a shiny-sticky finish on my face, and seemed to make my face feel oily. RAM already feels very dry on my face and my face feels tight. Since this is only after 20 minutes of use, i'm really scared of whats to come lol!

I'll definitely keep you guys updated, feel free to comment whatever pops into your head (questions, concerns, etc.) This will definitely be a journey!

#2 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hola. This is my second time applying RAM. I'm applying every other night to try to avoid extreme dryness.
I'm actually kind of upset that my dermatologist gave me such a high strength of RAM (0.1%) i wish she would have started me out on a lower strength and worked me up. Oh well.
My face feels really dry after applying it but obviously i haven't noticed side effects yet.

Does anyone else use the 0.1% RAM? Was it too strong for you?
Thanks!

#3 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hello there Jessica! I haven't used Retin-A before, but i did use Differin .1% for almost a year. The one piece of advice I had is patience. It is KEY. I wanted to give up on Differin after a while because it didn't seem to be giving me the desired results I wanted, but after 20 weeks (yes, 20), it finally worked it's magic and I could see real results.

Unfortunately, it wasn't what I needed for my skin long term, but I encourage you to give Retin-A at least 3-4 months. =)

Oh and I'm going to move this to the Topical Retinoids Logs. You are likely to receive more specific responses that way.

#4 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Kairasa @ May 22 2011, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there Jessica! I haven't used Retin-A before, but i did use Differin .1% for almost a year. The one piece of advice I had is patience. It is KEY. I wanted to give up on Differin after a while because it didn't seem to be giving me the desired results I wanted, but after 20 weeks (yes, 20), it finally worked it's magic and I could see real results.

Unfortunately, it wasn't what I needed for my skin long term, but I encourage you to give Retin-A at least 3-4 months. =)

Oh and I'm going to move this to the Topical Retinoids Logs. You are likely to receive more specific responses that way.

Hey thanks for the move! I haven't been getting responses so maybe that will help smile.gif
I'm glad differin worked for you. I used to use Differin 0.1% as well, it dried out my skin too much, i gave up on it, and my dermatologist put me on something else. So this time I will stick it out longer and try not to get frustrated.

So far, however, I have not had any dryness on Retin-A Micro. I think using it every other night has definitely helped. If things continue to go well for the next few weeks, I'll use it every night so I get faster results.

One product i HIGHLY recommend if you are using any retinoid is CeraVe moisturizing cream. It's a thick cream that i put on my face every night (only at night, it does make your face feel kinda greasy). It's seriously amazing though because my face used to be very dry but the CeraVe cleared it up within a week.

#5 lilahv26

lilahv26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi Jessica! I hope that RAM works for you. I think you have the right idea about the applying every other night. That's what my dermatologist told me to do... actually he told me to do every three nights, then ramp it up to every two nights, then every night over a course a month or so as I felt my skin could handle it.

#6 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (lilahv26 @ May 22 2011, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jessica! I hope that RAM works for you. I think you have the right idea about the applying every other night. That's what my dermatologist told me to do... actually he told me to do every three nights, then ramp it up to every two nights, then every night over a course a month or so as I felt my skin could handle it.

Thanks! I hope it works too. My biggest problems are my huge pores (which produce tons of oil), redness, and the occasional pimple. Do you think RAM will help with redness at all? I don't really see how it could, but i'm desperate at this point lol. I also have some acne scarring so hopefully those will fade with time as well.

For everyone experiencing extreme dryness I would say starting out slow is the best way to go (rhyme?!). But seriously, this is a *strong* product, and it should be treated like one. Testing out how your face reacts to it is a very smart thing to do. Everyone's skin is different.

#7 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hey guys just a quick update here:
I have been using RAM for under a month, so not too much has happened. I do notice dryness/flakiness on the mornings after i use it (since i only do it every other night). My makeup definitely does not go on very flawlessly and i end up using a gentle exfoliator to dry to get off the dead skin.
Still no major breakouts or anything yet so thats good! biggrin.gif
Let me know if you have any questions.

#8 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hello! I haven't updated in awhile, but its because i've been so busy!
I've been using RAM for a little over a month now, and I have finally decided to use it every single night. The reason being for this is my skin has been breaking out like crazy lately.
I do get random pimples, but I haven't had a breakout this bad in a long time. I have a few ideas as to what the culprit is, but i'm still not 100% sure. I'm going to continue using and doing everything that I am right now, as well as RAM every night and hopefully my face will clear up in a few months.
Wish me luck!

#9 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

I've been applying Retin a Micro on my face (along with Clindamycin Lotion and Benzoyl Peroxide) for 106 days now (yes, I've been keeping up). 15 + weeks. I'm stopping the Clindamycin and BP after this month though. I've read that Clindamycin becomes ineffective after a while (it's supposed to be getting rid of the pimples R.A.M. brings up quickly, but it's not so I know it's not working anymore). And since BP is supposed to be helping also clear up the pimples faster (and it's not), I'm stopping that too. The less products the better, I think. Anyways, from what I've seen from R.A.M. is that it takes a LONG while to work (and I'm still getting pimples on my chin and forehead but it's probably like one a week for each so it's slowed down a lot). R.A.M. is helping my scars FINALLY (my scars are just surface scars on my cheeks, no indention, and it's a bunch of redness and post inflammatory hyperpigmention) and the redness is starting to fade away. My advice is continue to use it and don't give up on it.

Also, you need to be applying EVERY night or your not going to be getting the most out of R.A.M. Once every 2 nights is just going to slow the process up even more.

Edited by Kody_R_F, 23 June 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#10 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Kody_R_F @ Jun 23 2011, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been applying Retin a Micro on my face (along with Clindamycin Lotion and Benzoyl Peroxide) for 106 days now (yes, I've been keeping up). 15 + weeks. I'm stopping the Clindamycin and BP after this month though. I've read that Clindamycin becomes ineffective after a while (it's supposed to be getting rid of the pimples R.A.M. brings up quickly, but it's not so I know it's not working anymore). And since BP is supposed to be helping also clear up the pimples faster (and it's not), I'm stopping that too. The less products the better, I think. Anyways, from what I've seen from R.A.M. is that it takes a LONG while to work (and I'm still getting pimples on my chin and forehead but it's probably like one a week for each so it's slowed down a lot). R.A.M. is helping my scars FINALLY (my scars are just surface scars on my cheeks, no indention, and it's a bunch of redness and post inflammatory hyperpigmention) and the redness is starting to fade away. My advice is continue to use it and don't give up on it.

Also, you need to be applying EVERY night or your not going to be getting the most out of R.A.M. Once every 2 nights is just going to slow the process up even more.

Thanks for sharing smile.gif.
I have read that RAM takes a long time to work, and even though I get discouraged sometimes with face products, I will definitely stick with it. I have seen others have such great results with it that I believe it truly works.
I have been applying it every single night now, and i have noticed my face is more sensitive.
I have a question for you. You mentioned your face is really red from the RAM. Will that eventually go away or will it stay? The reason why I'm asking is because my face has always been pretty red and irritated looking, and so i was wondering if RAM would make it worse in the longrun. Thanks!

#11 DukeBlueDevils

DukeBlueDevils

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Jessica147 @ Jun 23 2011, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have read that RAM takes a long time to work, and even though I get discouraged sometimes with face products, I will definitely stick with it. I have seen others have such great results with it that I believe it truly works.
I have been applying it every single night now, and i have noticed my face is more sensitive.
I have a question for you. You mentioned your face is really red from the RAM. Will that eventually go away or will it stay? The reason why I'm asking is because my face has always been pretty red and irritated looking, and so i was wondering if RAM would make it worse in the longrun. Thanks!

My acne was already red before I started using RAM (in my scar areas; cheeks). LOL. That's what I was saying. The redness from prior to RAM is actually starting to go away now (slowly but surely) thanks to RAM. If your face was not red before you started RAM, and it's red now, you may be putting too much on (you only need a pea size amount on your finger) and that could be really irritating you skin. Or you could just be in the first month or so of RAM and the redness is just normal. If your truthfully applying the right amount and it's only in the first or so month, it's normal. Just don't put too much on. It's going to irritate your skin.

#12 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Kody_R_F @ Jun 23 2011, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jessica147 @ Jun 23 2011, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My acne was already red before I started using RAM (in my scar areas; cheeks). LOL. That's what I was saying. The redness from prior to RAM is actually starting to go away now (slowly but surely) thanks to RAM. If your face was not red before you started RAM, and it's red now, you may be putting too much on (you only need a pea size amount on your finger) and that could be really irritating you skin. Or you could just be in the first month or so of RAM and the redness is just normal. If your truthfully applying the right amount and it's only in the first or so month, it's normal. Just don't put too much on. It's going to irritate your skin.

My face has always been red pretty much. I have no idea what causes it, but it just is. I only use about two pumps of RAM each night, and only apply a small amount to each area. So far it hasn't made me any more red than i normally am, it just has made my face more sensitive. Thanks for all of the replies smile.gif

#13 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

UPDATE Day 3 (of using it every night)

So I had mentioned that my face was breaking out horribly and randomly lately, but it's starting to clear up! Yay! I dont know if its the RAM or just mother nature lol! I haven't noticed too much of a change in my skin because of RAM yet (for example, i haven't noticed severe dryness, burning, itching, peeling, etc.). My face is a little more red than usual and it does peel a little bit, but rubbing my face with a damp washcloth in the morning takes all of it away.
My foundation has still been going on smoothly-thank goodness haha. About once or twice a week I have been using St. Ive's green tea scrub on my face. I know you probably aren't supposed to use scrubs while using RAM-since it makes your face so sensitive- but this is a VERY gentle scrub and the "scrub particles" are very small and aren't harsh. It really helps get rid of all of the dead skin.
I think another reason my skin hasn't been dry is because of my nightly moisturizer. ***If you are looking for a very thick, hydrating night moisturizer/cream, i HIGHLY recommend CeraVe moisturizing cream*** that stuff is amazing.

Anyways, so far so good, i'll keep ya updated!
smile.gif

#14 SDGirl66

SDGirl66

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (Jessica147 @ Jun 25 2011, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I had mentioned that my face was breaking out horribly and randomly lately, but it's starting to clear up! Yay! I dont know if its the RAM or just mother nature lol! I haven't noticed too much of a change in my skin because of RAM yet (for example, i haven't noticed severe dryness, burning, itching, peeling, etc.). My face is a little more red than usual and it does peel a little bit, but rubbing my face with a damp washcloth in the morning takes all of it away.
My foundation has still been going on smoothly-thank goodness haha. About once or twice a week I have been using St. Ive's green tea scrub on my face. I know you probably aren't supposed to use scrubs while using RAM-since it makes your face so sensitive- but this is a VERY gentle scrub and the "scrub particles" are very small and aren't harsh. It really helps get rid of all of the dead skin.
I think another reason my skin hasn't been dry is because of my nightly moisturizer. ***If you are looking for a very thick, hydrating night moisturizer/cream, i HIGHLY recommend CeraVe moisturizing cream*** that stuff is amazing.

smile.gif

I am so glad I found this post! I had just recently started RAM as well. Last night was my first night and my dermatologist instructed me to use it every night. I'm really worried that my skin will peel a lot and look all gross and uneven under my foundation. What kind/brand of foundation do you use?

#15 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (SDGirl66 @ Jun 26 2011, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jessica147 @ Jun 25 2011, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif

I am so glad I found this post! I had just recently started RAM as well. Last night was my first night and my dermatologist instructed me to use it every night. I'm really worried that my skin will peel a lot and look all gross and uneven under my foundation. What kind/brand of foundation do you use?

I'm glad you found this post as well! I am currently using Revlon Colorstay foundation. It gives really good coverage, but it does tend to go on slightly "dry". What I mean is that it doesn't feel moisturizing going on because it is supposed to leave a matte finish. On the days that my skin feels more dry, I like to use a BB cream. I don't know if you have heard of them, but they are basically like a foundation and moisturizer all in one, so they are very hydrating. The one i use can be found here
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0020ZEA40
I don't know what your skin color is, but that one only comes in one shade and it's made more for lighter skin.
RAM is a very strong treatment, and should be treated as one. Many people do notice irritation, redness, peeling, flaking..etc in the first couple of weeks or first month. Typically it goes away after 3 months, but if you feel like it is too harsh for your skin, cut it down to every other night. I started out using it every other night for a whole month. I think working up to it helps reduce the irritation because it gradually introduces your skin to it.
If you have any more questions let me know! smile.gif

#16 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

**Update**
Day 8 of every night use

Hey so it's been a little over a week of using RAM every single night. They day after i posted my last update I actually noticed some drying on my face. The weird thing was, it was in places that I don't even apply the RAM (such as my lips and around my eye area). Now if it was winter, the dry lips would be easily explainable, but my lips are never *this* dry in the summer. So I went out and bought some Aquaphor which has been moisturizing them nicely.

The area around my left eye also became really dry as well, but is back to normal now. The night before I noticed the dryness around my eye, i had gotten emotional about something and cried. I noticed that the tears actually burned my face. Like not literally "burned" but my face became really sensitive, red, and painful around my eye area. I think the RAM is just making my face extremelly senstive to everything.

I am still very satisfied with my CeraVe moisturizing cream. Oh my gosh I love that stuff. It's seriously a life saver. I would even recommend it to people suffering Eczema. It's so thick and creamy but absorbs amazingly. I use it on my hands, elbows, and knees as well. The best part is, is that it's only $17 and comes in a 16oz jar. I will never run out haha.

So yes, right now I recommend CeraVe and Aquaphor if you are suffering dryness from any face product.

More updates to come!

#17 Jessica147

Jessica147

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Update! Day 22

So I have been using RAM nightly now for a little over three weeks. I really have noticed a change in my skin already. Maybe i'm just imagining it, but my face seems more even all over. I have acne scars (minor dark marks, no "hole" type scarring), and they seem to be evening out! I remember I had bought Mederma several years back to try to fade them, but applying it 2-3 times a day was too much of a hassle for me. This is definitely working better.
Tonight I did notice while washing my face that I'm starting to break out again. I could feel all of the little bumps on my cheek. It's weird because every time I break out, it only seems to affect my left cheek (mostly). I have no idea why this could be. Maybe it's because I sleep mostly on my left side, and I don't change my pillowcase very often, tbh. Gross, I know.
One thing that I am LOVING about RAM is that whenever I get a big pimple, by the next day it is almost completely gone. It clears stuff up so fast it's amazing.
I still notice some flaking and dryness but exfoliating with the St. Ives green tea scrub 1-2 times a week really helps.
*note* If you are going to exfoliate while using Retin-A, don't overdo it. The scrub I use is VERY gentle (don't get their apricot scrub-way too harsh), and I limit the use of it. Retin-a makes your skin very sensitive and you don't want to damage it.

Keep yalls updated biggrin.gif