Photo

Probiotics for Acne & Healing

probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

I've been on the antibiotic route many times before, which I'm convinced has wrecked my body's ability to heal efficiently. Also after taking them I had a blood test that showed I had antinuclear antibodies, attacking my own cells. I've heard antibiotics not only kill good bacteria, but good bacteria as well. Anyways, I could go more into that but I'm going to get to the point.

I was wondering if any of you guys take PRObiotics for your acne and which ones work best. I really don't know much about probiotics, just that it contains good bacteria to help your skin as well as your overall health. I think taking probiotics would be very beneficial for me.

So let's hear it? smile.gif Thank you!

#2 rifkah6

rifkah6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (FutureScarless @ May 13 2011, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been on the antibiotic route many times before, which I'm convinced has wrecked my body's ability to heal efficiently. Also after taking them I had a blood test that showed I had antinuclear antibodies, attacking my own cells. I've heard antibiotics not only kill good bacteria, but good bacteria as well. Anyways, I could go more into that but I'm going to get to the point.

I was wondering if any of you guys take PRObiotics for your acne and which ones work best. I really don't know much about probiotics, just that it contains good bacteria to help your skin as well as your overall health. I think taking probiotics would be very beneficial for me.

So let's hear it? smile.gif Thank you!

Kefir here - it's a living food and has the ability to actually colonise the gut. It has many more strains of friendly bacteria than just yogurt or supplements - store bought supps tend to isolate a few and there is no guaranteee whether they are still active or not once they reach your gut due to numerous factors such as the way they have been produced or stored - generally they need to be kept refridgerated and most stores don't go to the bother of doing that.....

#3 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I can't remember the specific name of mine, but I do not they are NOT all created equally. You may not even need them. I'll check on the name when I get home and get back to you. I really just suggest you go to an ND and have them help you with it, unless someone here can give you better advice. Good luck!

Edited by GreenEyes33, 13 May 2011 - 08:40 AM.

What's working for me:

Diet:
-Avoiding gluten. Small portions of rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes and quinua for carbs.
-No milk, but I do enjoy small quanities of other full fat dairy
-Lots of fruits, veggies, water, eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, and occasionally red meat
-Green smoothies a few times a week
-Green tea everyday

Supplement:
-1000 IU D3 on non-sunny days. Will up it to 4000 again come fall.
-Zinc, 50 mg twice a week
-Omega 3, 3 times per day

Routine:

Evening- remove makeup with a few drops of jojoba oil, clean with hemp oil soap, moisturize with a bit more jojoba oil.
-Sleeping for a minimum of 8 hours a night, in darkness
-Walking the dog everyday and yoga once a week

Eating as healthy and organically as possible, applying only natural products to body, stressing less, exercising more, getting sunshine, camping, laughing lots.

________________________________________________________________________________

Link to my log, complete with progress photos!: CLICK!

#4 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Primal Flora is the brand I take and it definitely works well.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

#5 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

I'd rather not spend money on another doctor in regards of my skin [unless it has to do with scar treatment], but I guess if I absolutely have to, I will.

Thanks for your replies, guys. biggrin.gif

#6 Jaynine9

Jaynine9

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

what about probiotic yogurt?

#7 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Jaynine9 @ May 14 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about probiotic yogurt?

If you can get a brand that's from raw milk and has no added sugar, by all means.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

#8 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Bump

#9 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Probiotics break me out. I have tried probitoic supplements, sauerkraut [shop bought and and home made] and yogurt [shop bought - home made].
I have tried a couple of probiotic supps, they had the least effect on me. Yogurt broke me out worse and homemade sauerkraut was by far the worse[shop bought didn't do much].

Using my twisted scientific logic i figure that this means homemade sauerkraut is the most potent form of probiotic, for me anyway. Shop bought was no way near as strong in taste and didn't break me out much really.

If you haven't done it before making yogurt is quite easy. Prob depends on how rich you are, how much time you have etc. I just buy some decent stuff ie organic [prob doesnt matter] with different strains listed then eat some and put the rest with some warmed milk in a jar and leave it for a day or so in warm place. Loads of guides on internet. Quite easy to tell if its worked by how thick it gets.

Sauerkraut takes more effort and time. Also it's an aquired taste. I think most stuff in the shops is pasteurized so that might be why it didn't affect me much. Not too hard to make if you can't find somewhere that sells the good stuff or it's pricey. Basically buy/find a big pot/crock, buy a few cabbages, chop/shred them up, put them in pot, bash the hell out of it while adding plenty of salt, seal pot, wait 4 weeks, put into smaller jars. Throw/give away cause you can't stand the taste.
God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#10 fakeplasticgirl

fakeplasticgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Kefir all the way! It's really common where I'm from (Eastern Europe) so I grew up drinking it (sometimes by force..haha..but I grew to enjoy it). It's more difficult to find in the West, but my local health food store carries it. I try to drink one little bottle a day.

#11 03GT

03GT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Just bought me some 10 billion CFU GNC brand super probiotic complex today ($10/month supply [sale]). My acne isn't all that bad now as I'm on a low carb diet (thanks you God for allowing SOMETHING to work). Hopefully, the probiotics will clear what acne I do have left. If this doesn't work, guess I'll try 'pissing on your face' thing that's gaining popularity.

#12 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Ahh, I'm still so confused as to which probiotic I should take. I hear most are not even effective, and I don't want to waste my money and time on something ineffective. I'm getting frustrated because I know my system is currently screwed from long-term antibiotics and I need to fix it. Thanks you guys, I'll do some more research or I might be seeing a Naturopath to help me out with this..

confused.gif

Edit // I found a good one after lots of research! Yay me. smile.gif But still, thanks y'all!

Edited by FutureScarless, 17 May 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#13 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:08 PM

what antibiotics did you take and how long did you take them for?

#14 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (Timehealsall @ May 16 2011, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what antibiotics did you take and how long did you take them for?

My dermatologist had me on Bactrim 250 mg [x2 a day] for more than about a year with no breaks, and other types of antibiotics here and there before that..

#15 acneftl777

acneftl777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

OP, which probiotic did you settle on? I think I need to start taking antibiotics/probiotics also if my accutane treatment relapses.

#16 acneftl777

acneftl777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

OP, which probiotic did you settle on? I think I need to start taking antibiotics/probiotics also if my accutane treatment relapses.

#17 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (acneftl777 @ Jun 1 2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, sorry for the late response! After lots of research, I settled on a probiotic by the brand Ultimate Flora. I bought it from Whole Foods. I'm excited because a cyst I had gotten healed faster and didn't leave behind a pit like usual, so I really think it's a good brand! HTH.

#18 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

you know what i was wondering as well if antibiotics can permanently reduce the skins ability to heal and after asking a lot of derms, and researching... i don't think they can really reduce your skins healing ability.

#19 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

Most probiotics that you buy over the shelf are worthless. Never mind the fact that most aren't even living by the time you get it off the shelf at the store; most don't survive the trip from your mouth down into your stomach.

Also beware of probiotics from dairy products, perhaps except yogurt or kefir, they tend to break people out still.

While its true that antibiotics wipe out both good and bad bacteria, a couple rounds of medicine here and there isn't going to make you lose enough healthy strands that you need to supplement with them.

Lastly, even if you do feel you are seeing a benefit from them (accelerating healing, healthier stools etc) once you stop taking them your right back to where you started.

I don't know your whole background with acne, but in my opinion if your still breaking out pretty regularly look into the common diet allergens (dairy, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, nuts) and all facial/hair care products.

I've been clear for a while now, but last year I was breaking out from my shampoo! I didn't realize it for the longest time and all the while I was becoming so anal about my diet that it became a chore to eat! Not worth it in my opinion....

Don't mask the symptom, find the cause and be on your way

#20 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Panic!! @ Jul 22 2011, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most probiotics that you buy over the shelf are worthless. Never mind the fact that most aren't even living by the time you get it off the shelf at the store; most don't survive the trip from your mouth down into your stomach.

Also beware of probiotics from dairy products, perhaps except yogurt or kefir, they tend to break people out still.

While its true that antibiotics wipe out both good and bad bacteria, a couple rounds of medicine here and there isn't going to make you lose enough healthy strands that you need to supplement with them.

Lastly, even if you do feel you are seeing a benefit from them (accelerating healing, healthier stools etc) once you stop taking them your right back to where you started.

I don't know your whole background with acne, but in my opinion if your still breaking out pretty regularly look into the common diet allergens (dairy, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, nuts) and all facial/hair care products.

I've been clear for a while now, but last year I was breaking out from my shampoo! I didn't realize it for the longest time and all the while I was becoming so anal about my diet that it became a chore to eat! Not worth it in my opinion....

Don't mask the symptom, find the cause and be on your way

Panic, when you say a couple rounds of antibiotics, do you mean months use of antibiotics or few weeks?

Do you think that antibiotics can permanently affect the skins healing ability or no?

yea i agree with your probiotic info, but if its found in fridges, its good