Photo

Best Vitamins and Supplements to Take for Acne

vitamin vitamins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 helpmegetclear

helpmegetclear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

share! what has helped you?!

#2 FutureScarless

FutureScarless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Niacinamide 500mg (No-Flush. Make sure it doesn't say Inositol Hexanicotinate on the bottle, which means Slow/Time-Released.)
Zinc 50mg
(I take the top two together and it has completely gotten rid of my cystic acne.)
Borage Oil 1000mg
Vitamin E 200iu (I just started taking this with the Borage Oil to make sure the B.O. is fully absorbed. But I don't think it's necessary, it's more of a reassurance.)
Vitamin C 1000mg x2

#3 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Well, the best supplements which get people clear are vitamin A, Zinc, selenium, Vitamin D for starters. However, many of us have discovered that taking supplements is not the answer --- you need to solve the underlying cause of the acne.

About 30% of people on this forum discover that dairy is the cause of their acne. Another 30% (or more) have cleared themselves using a gluten-free diet and/or grain-free diet. So they discovered that the underlying cause of their acne was an intolerance.

Basically, supplements and vitamins are like band-aids. They are a healthier option than pharmaceutical drugs, but they are still just disguising an underlying health condition that needs to be fixed.
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#4 Bosie

Bosie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ May 10 2011, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the best supplements which get people clear are vitamin A, Zinc, selenium, Vitamin D for starters. However, many of us have discovered that taking supplements is not the answer --- you need to solve the underlying cause of the acne.

About 30% of people on this forum discover that dairy is the cause of their acne. Another 30% (or more) have cleared themselves using a gluten-free diet and/or grain-free diet. So they discovered that the underlying cause of their acne was an intolerance.

Basically, supplements and vitamins are like band-aids. They are a healthier option than pharmaceutical drugs, but they are still just disguising an underlying health condition that needs to be fixed.

I have to say Dotty that you're old thread about Chromium and Cinnamon being taken together did reduce my acne by about 35% so i would add these two, however i find taking them is, as you say a band aid for a deeper health problem and they didnt cure me completely. Also both are expensive at my local health shop and i'd rather look for a less expensive cure.

On topic, i'd say the best thing that has ever reduced inflammation was niacin (flush or non flush, it works the same) however as a lot of people note the effects are very short term sadly.

At the moment i'm trying vits A and D3 which are reducing inflammation but are not helping my blackheads and whiteheads, of which they seem to keep multiplying constantly. eusa_boohoo.gif

#5 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

My moderate acne was pretty bad a couple of months ago in March. On March 14, I started taking:

Fish Oil
Niacin
Vitamin A (10,000 UI)
Vitamin D (10,000 UI)
Evening Primrose Oil
Zinc

Now my face is 98% clear. biggrin.gif

#6 Bosie

Bosie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE (electthedead01 @ May 11 2011, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My moderate acne was pretty bad a couple of months ago in March. On March 14, I started taking:

Fish Oil
Niacin
Vitamin A (10,000 UI)
Vitamin D (10,000 UI)
Evening Primrose Oil
Zinc

10.000 UI of vitamin D...wow. I'm really glad your skin is better but is your vitamin D intake safe? I bought some vitamin D3 the other day in liquid form and have been taking 1000-2000 UI. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information as to how safe it is to take but also i dont know if the amounts i'm taking are really enough to produce any results. Did you start off at 10 000 Ui or work your way up?

#7 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

I was taking 7000 IU per day for awhile. Apparently, the body handles it quite well. You don't need to work your way up.
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#8 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Bosie @ May 11 2011, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (electthedead01 @ May 11 2011, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fish Oil
Niacin
Vitamin A (10,000 UI)
Vitamin D (10,000 UI)
Evening Primrose Oil
Zinc

10.000 UI of vitamin D...wow. I'm really glad your skin is better but is your vitamin D intake safe? I bought some vitamin D3 the other day in liquid form and have been taking 1000-2000 UI. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information as to how safe it is to take but also i dont know if the amounts i'm taking are really enough to produce any results. Did you start off at 10 000 Ui or work your way up?

I started at 5,000 UI for like 2 days, then went straight to 10,000. Is this safe? confused.gif

#9 Gutterflower

Gutterflower

Self-Proclaimed Art Nerd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (helpmegetclear @ May 10 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
share! what has helped you?!

I take zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B5. My skin isn't perfect but it's getting better gradually.
I can't remember the dosages on each but it's basically standard.

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?

Hi, I'm Elle.

#10 Packerfan785

Packerfan785

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

I have tried all the popular vitamins that have been mentioned on this board besides Niacin (most said it was only a temporary help) and nothing has really given any great results. 50 mg Zinc seems to help a bit but doesn't do anything significant.
Please, use Retin-A. It has nearly eliminated my acne and continues to lighten my red marks.

#11 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

If you have some big event that you need to attend and want to have clear skin, use the supplements to get yourself clear. They are healthier than medications. But do NOT rely on the supplements to keep your skin clear long term. You need to solve the underlying health issue causing the problem.

Edited by Dotty1, 12 May 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#12 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

But isn't changing your diet just another form of a "band-aid"? For example, if you break out from eating grains, and then you stop eating grains, you didn't "fix" the problem. You are just avoiding the problem. The only way to "fix" the problem is to find a way for your body to tolerate grains again.

So helpmegetclear: I would recommend the vitamins "band aid" instead of the diet "band aid". Some that have helped me are 50mg Zinc, 3g Taurine, and a B25 Complex to help the taurine get absorbed. Some of the vitamins I have tried that did nothing were Carnitine, Cysteine, Milk Thistle, and Selenium.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#13 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Zinc and omega 3 are the best ones, zinc acts like hormone balancer and omega 3 as anti-inflammatory. However, i agree with dotty1, taking supplements is not to cure your acne, paleo/wai diet, exercise and no stress are the road to clear skin
My log might be helpful for you,check it out!! Posted Imagehttp://www.acne.org/...stic-pics-incl/

-I controlled my acne after cutting off whey protein, after 4 months it came back.
-Then i tried an strict paleo diet, it worked. But the ocassional few pimples didnt let my PIH fade
-I wasnt happy with my routine, coudnt drink with my friends, eat different food and the worst: i was loosing confidence
-When my PIH was fading, i broke out, because i tried vitamin C to end with the ocassional pimples, which might cause stomach irritation=break out
- I wasnt happy because of my diet, just broke out, and i started accutane asap.

- Currently, im taking accutane even thought my acne is mild, but with persistant PIH, just few weeks left, no more pimples anymore.

"If i had a wish, i woudnt ask for flawless skin, I'd ask for the maxium of confidence"
Poeple think they are going to be happy and confident if they get rid of their acne...well..they are totally wrong

#14 Snowblossoms

Snowblossoms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

The best supplement that helped reduce my acne was actually ASEA

I drank 4oz of ASEA each day to help my redox molecules heal thus I believed it helped heal my body from within first. I also sprayed ASEA on my face and I noticed my acne decreased and my acne doesn't break out as much or as harsh...

you're able to get the product and more information at www.specialoffer.teamasea.com. Acne is a problem from within and if we can boost our cells to heal itself then we can heal our acne from within.

#15 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

I don't really think that is the right way to heal your body from the inside. It kind of looks like a scam to me. I would call it a product, not a supplement.

Can you tell us what is in it? And why did you stop using it?

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#16 pari

pari

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

Helpmegetclear,

I am not sure what is the root cause of my acne, diet, weak liver, leaky gut, etc. I've found Vitex Agnus Castus a good supplement to regulate the monthly periods and with that the hormones (it more or less works as the bc-pill).

#17 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

Niacinamide 500mg (No-Flush. Make sure it doesn't say Inositol Hexanicotinate on the bottle, which means Slow/Time-Released.)
Zinc 50mg
(I take the top two together and it has completely gotten rid of my cystic acne.)
Borage Oil 1000mg
Vitamin E 200iu (I just started taking this with the Borage Oil to make sure the B.O. is fully absorbed. But I don't think it's necessary, it's more of a reassurance.)
Vitamin C 1000mg x2

On the other hand, I was informed that pure Niacin (with flushing) is best, no flush negates the health benefits.

But isn't changing your diet just another form of a "band-aid"? For example, if you break out from eating grains, and then you stop eating grains, you didn't "fix" the problem. You are just avoiding the problem. The only way to "fix" the problem is to find a way for your body to tolerate grains again.

So helpmegetclear: I would recommend the vitamins "band aid" instead of the diet "band aid". Some that have helped me are 50mg Zinc, 3g Taurine, and a B25 Complex to help the taurine get absorbed. Some of the vitamins I have tried that did nothing were Carnitine, Cysteine, Milk Thistle, and Selenium.

You have a point but by eliminating the CAUSE you're not simply masking it, just avoiding what's bad for you, so in effect you're not disguising anything... I'd deem that a fix!

Edited by Callum., 08 December 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#18 vcpd

vcpd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Ginger/Garlic/Apple Cider Vinegar

Crush the ginger/garlic up, add some apple cider vinegar, and drink it like a shot of vodka. 3x per day.

#19 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

You have a point but by eliminating the CAUSE you're not simply masking it, just avoiding what's bad for you, so in effect you're not disguising anything... I'd deem that a fix!

I think certain foods are not the cause of acne. The cause is an intolerance to those foods. Take dairy for example. Many people here say that dairy causes them to have acne, but it was not always that way. Remember when we were 11 and we ate whatever we wanted without breaking out? As we age, we actually develop an intolerance to dairy.

http://health.nytime...e/overview.html

The most important part of that link is when it says: "Lactose intolerance is very common in adults and is not dangerous. Approximately 30 million American adults have some amount of lactose intolerance by age 20."

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#20 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ginger/Garlic/Apple Cider Vinegar

Crush the ginger/garlic up, add some apple cider vinegar, and drink it like a shot of vodka. 3x per day.

Can anyone back this up? I'm willing but it will taste disgusting so wanna make sure it's not useless.