Photo

Why Don't Fat People Ever Have Acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

This is just a guess. It is believed that some people have a genetic predispostion to be overweight. That is, their bodies are very efficient at converting carbohydrates to fat and sequestering it in fat cells. That process may be so efficient that little of the fat is secreted as sebum.

#22 cruxflayed

cruxflayed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

people with acne generally(/almost always actually) have above average levels of testosterone. higher testosterone=less body fat, more lean muscle mass. fat folks have much higher levels of estradiol, and estrogens lend themselves towards decreased sebum production. and i could be wrong, but i think having a thicker layer of subcutaneous fat might lower the amount of glucose that makes it to the skin, hence less food for bacteria... ...but anyway i see fat people with acne all the time, so whatever.

#23 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (cruxflayed @ Aug 27 2004, 09:31 PM)
people with acne generally(/almost always actually) have above average levels of testosterone.  higher testosterone=less body fat, more lean muscle mass.  fat folks have much higher levels of estradiol, and estrogens lend themselves towards decreased sebum production.  and i could be wrong, but i think having a thicker layer of subcutaneous fat might lower the amount of glucose that makes it to the skin, hence less food for bacteria...  ...but anyway i see fat people with acne all the time, so whatever.

Where are you getting this from? Acne isn't derived from testosterone production itself, but skin receptor affinity for androgens. There are tons of people with supraphysiological levels of testosterone (steroid using athletes?) with no skin problems at all.

saying that just about everyone with acne has above average levels of testosterone.....isn't really the case.

#24 Doctor_Doom

Doctor_Doom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:36 AM

The answer is simple. It's because acne has nothing to do with diet.

#25 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:37 PM

THE ANSWER IS OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE DO NOT STRESS ABOUT LIFE.

THEY GO ABOUT HAPPILY EATING AND ENJOYING.

THIN PEOPLE WORRY AND STRESS MORE SO THEIR BODY TEMPERATURE/HEAT INCREASES. HORMONIAL CHANGES ARE SIMULTANEOUSLY TRIGGERED.

IF YOU ARE A SKINNY PERSON AND ALWAYS RELAXED YOU ARE MOST LIKELY NOT TO HAVE ACNE

#26 thedude222

thedude222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

this is definitely NOT a dumb thread, there has to be some kind of scientific reason that only about half as many overweight people have acne - in my 110 person high school class, i'd say about 1/3 of the guys have had acne issues beyond the occasional pimple, but of the 10 or so overweight i've never seen any having multiple pimples on their face at the same time, and most are completely clear and have great skin, i notice it even more in kinda overweight girls, theres kind of a "class' of slightly overweight and voluptous with great skin and good faces girls out there. I think it may have something to do with your body having different ways of dealing with excess triglycerides and lipids and oils, fat people store them as adipose tissue and thin people's bodies are reluctant to store fat and have other problems, i.e. acne, trying to deal with the triglycerides

#27 name1237895

name1237895

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (stoneman @ Aug 27 2004, 03:13 PM)
I aint ever seen an overweight/obese person ever have acne. I've only ever seen them with clear, normal looking skin. I'm not saying its like that for every overweight/obese person alive but the majority of them have great skin. And thats a fact.

I don't get why most of them don't get acne either. As far as I know, bad diets are to blame for our acne. Cos a lot of overweight/obese people are the way they are cos of their bad diets. Which means that they eat unhealthy foods or simply eat too much of it. The kinds of food I'm talking about is fast food and junk food which I'm sure most obese people eat far more than most normal sized people do who happen to have acne. So if fast food and junk food trigger acne, then why dont obese people have severe, crazy acne? I mean what the hells the deal with that? Become obese and your cured of acne? Its doesn't make one bit of sense! If anything, eating more unhealthy/fatty foods will overload your skin with sebum and make it very, very oily leading to acne. At least thats the theory?

If anyone can try to explain to me how obese/overweight people manage to get away with eating mountains of junk food and still have great skin, then I'd like to know!

yeah......

you just say bad diets are the main cause of our acne.....wheres your proof? stop making stuff up, you yourself say that "As far as I know, bad diets are to blame for our acne" then go on to say that the obese people with the worse diets of all have no acne.....with this in mind, why would you believe diet is the mian cause of acne? i agree with the poster a few posts above.....the simple answer is that diet prolly has little to nothing to do with acne

and to say that fat people almost always have clear skin is stupid....thats like saying asians all have perfect skin, its ignorant and with little support.....just because you see a few asians with perfect skin doesnt mean they have better skin then white people.....ive seen way more people with acne that are white, but also way more clear people that are white.....

maybe the answer is that there are a lot less obese teens then normal teens, making it less likely to find an obese person with acne

#28 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:12 PM

come on guys....some of you are overlooking the OBVIOUS.

#29 cruxflayed

cruxflayed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (evigrex @ Aug 28 2004, 02:45 AM)

Where are you getting this from? Acne isn't derived from testosterone production itself, but skin receptor affinity for androgens. There are tons of people with supraphysiological levels of testosterone (steroid using athletes?) with no skin problems at all.

saying that just about everyone with acne has above average levels of testosterone.....isn't really the case.

i've read a couple of studies which showed that women with acne generally have higher testosterone. i've also read other studies that have shown that women with acne generally have higher igf-1 levels. if you were to drop your testosterone levels by half, you wouldn't be posting in this message board right now(though you'd be quite limp), regardless of what your binding site affinity was like.