Repairing the long-term damage from Accutane

vitamin d vitamin a vitamin e biotin garlic milk thistle depression

5947 replies to this topic

#5941 MovingOn

MovingOn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, walking, biking, eating sushi, drinking tea, listening to Beach House, Radiohead, and Death Grips. Different times of the day.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Anyone..anyone....Bueller?

#5942 Deebo

Deebo

FML Parties held daily!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 AM

Tryingtohelp and others-thank you for your determination and God bless your intelligence. Keep up the work. Although I'm not optimistic, it's nice to know something is being done that I myself cannot facilitate.

I will be undergoing your manganese protocol after the holidays. What are your thoughts on the anti oxidant supplements? I want to take them as I feel extremely toxic and have a dull pain near my gall bladder area- although mri and blood work were not alarming. I plan to do a fast soon.

Also I figured I would list a couple rare things that myself and twin brother have encountered over the years that I have not seen listed.

My brother developed TTP thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura about 8 years after stopping Accutane. -very rare condition which results in blood clotting in the smaller blood vessels throughout the body. He almost died. It is caused by inhibition of ADAMTS13 enzyme.

A common issue with people including those whom were not on Accutane-I have recurring calcium deposits in my mouth behind my bottom front teeth. (This is not a big deal, but I have read posts about the role of calcium on this thread)

We have most all symptoms mentioned here and have been off the drug for almost 15 years. It's probably of no help but I thought I would throw out information. I think the rare sides that others do not experience or have a family history of might be of some use.

Finally, what is the most effective/economical way to get a baseline of my health-something more in depth than standard blood work. I want to try to do something about this before my body completely shits out on me and I drive of a cliff. Unlike some here, I knew after a couple months of the drug, that my symptoms would not go away. I have accepted that to a degree. I never sought help due to my perception that doctors would laugh it off or give me some bullshit explanation. So what is your best advice for overcoming these obstacles when seeking to get a baseline?

Thank you guys!

#5943 Walden Rev

Walden Rev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Sorry to hear your brother almost died.

What was/is his treatment to activate this enzym or does he use blood thinners ?

#5944 yetanotheraccutanevictim

yetanotheraccutanevictim

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 06:34 AM

Curious about the thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura as well. I have EXTREMELY poor blood flow. I know that my muscles hurt systemically so I'm sure that's also affecting my heart's ability to pump effectively. When I give blood to get tested, it literally just drips into the vials at a very slow pace. Not sure if I could have the same issue your brother was having.

Not sure how to get a good baseline. Just keep detailed logs of your symptoms, your energy, maybe take heart rate variability, loads of blood work so you can look back on it later to notice a trend, organic acids urine test perhaps, large comprehensive stool tests, antibody arrays, micronutrient testing, hormonal function tests such as an adrenal stress profile saliva test.

..and wow, 15 years ago was when you took it?? Have you tried anything to attempt to detox it out of your system? That's amazing that you haven't gotten over the symptoms in that amount of time. I commend you for living through all the pain for that long. It really helps others like me be able to go through the suffering knowing there are others who have it worse.

My blood work during and post accutane:

http://goo.gl/iAWLda

The course lasted from 08/03/12 to 12/20/12

(I took my first isotretinoin pill on Aug 3 and my last pill on Dec 20 2012)

Was also taking Bactrim antibiotic during the course.

I got off everything a week before I was supposed to due to symptoms

I was 17 when I took it. That is why my alkaline phosphatase was very high. I was growing still.

My symptoms that popped up during accutane and got worse after the treatment:

http://goo.gl/p0p0PW

my email:

inevitablepremonition@gmail.com

#5945 Walden Rev

Walden Rev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 02:37 AM

Can the Manganese protocol people keep the board updated ?

#5946 tryingtohelp2014

tryingtohelp2014

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 02:46 AM

to the guy who posted this study on carnitine...here is an interesting connection...

Edit: interesting study I just came across about carnitine helping accutane side effects http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10642057

Carnitine is synthesized in part from methyl groups derived from choline and other donors via S-adenosylmethionine (Lehninger, 1975). Carnitine is a required component of carnitine-acyltranferases I and II, two molecules required for transport of long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria for oxidation. Choline may affect lipid metabolism indirectly by influencing synthesis of carnitine. A series of studies with lactating dairy cows found that plasma and liver carnitine could be increased either by feeding or abomasal infusion of carnitine, but that milk yield and dry matter intake were not affected by carnitine supplementation (LaCount et al., 1995, 1996a, b). However, total tract digestibility of lipids and energy increased in response to carnitine supplementation by either route (LaCount et al., 1995).

Fortification Considerations

Any response to dietary supplementation of choline in ruminants would depend on factors such as age, body condition, level of productivity, sulfur amino-acid status and other choline-sparing nutrients. Folic acid, vitamin B12 and manganese status affect choline metabolism and absorption.

Manganese---> choline utilization---> carnitine production

Important for everyone taking manganese... you must take a form of choline with it.

Maybe choline is acting on the stored fatty liver deposits(i believe this is where the accutane residues are stored).  but in order for this to take place, we need the manganese and the methyl groups to activate this process.

#5947 Walden Rev

Walden Rev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 03:16 AM

What about ingesting Manganese and Choline together ? I know you said manganese alone but if they depend on eachother so much maybe its best to ingest them together ?

#5948 Pido

Pido

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 06:18 AM

Manganese deficiency fits very well to the picture and I've been taking it, but I'm still suspicious will this help us. You're supposed to get enough MN from food, so it feels weird that we would still be deficient of it after years of taking Accutane. Maybe our bodies can't absorb it or something else, but then supplementing it wouldn't help I guess. Should we also worry about MN overdose? Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but I was just too stupid to understand.

Edited by Pido, Today, 06:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users