Repairing the long-term damage from Accutane

vitamin d vitamin a vitamin e biotin garlic milk thistle depression

5654 replies to this topic

#3481 MovingOn

MovingOn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, walking, biking, eating sushi, drinking tea, listening to Beach House, Radiohead, and Death Grips. Different times of the day.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Welcome back Indigo!

#3482 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thank you...

I'm not sure I'll be spending much time chattin', but it's nice to see how you're all doing.

I hope you are well.

While I've made some good progress personally, with facing fear and being less obsessed with Accutane, unfortunately I can't shout 'I'm cured'.

My health issues are still there, and they do still get to me... sometimes a lot.

I guess I've learned a few things though...

My advice: Don't bother with ANY supplements. Such a waste of money and they only ever led to me feeling more frustrated because they did fuck all.

I still try to eat well and make an effort to avoid too much junk.

Main issues for me are still waking up like a bag of hungover crap, despite not consuming alcohol.

I seem to have vertigo and dizziness a lot of the time.

The dry eyes and dry mouth and a pain in the butt, also.

I don't even bother with eye-drops anymore.

Balancing blood sugar levels seems to be important, because anything too high in sugar tends to wipe me out and leave me exhausted.

Due to start a new job next week, so will be earning full-time wages again.

I'll probably start spending a bit more money on real, good food.

But yeah, I won't be wasting it on pills.

I got a juicer last year and haven't used it in months.

The problem I have is, I've read so many books and online articles... there's so much conflicting evidence.

I always find myself thinking twice before eating.

'Are eggs good or bad?' I ask myself.

'I have bread every day. What if this is stopping my digestive system from healing...' blah blah.

I still vlog on YouTube (www.youtube.com/fireyourdoctor) if you want to follow my progress, but I don't talk about Accutane or health as much these days.

The other day I was sent a newspaper story about someone who killed themselves 9 days after the BBC3 documentary aired.

They'd taken Accutane 10 years ago and ended up suffocating themselves because of the side effects.

That put me in a depressed state for a while.

Reading anything like that will, so don't go looking for information like that.

Anyway,

That's a little update for you

x

You may be stuck in a rut, but that's just how you feel today.
Never ever give up, because help is on it's way...

#3483 Mahweeoh

Mahweeoh

Wii Yew

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dance Dance Revolution, Art, various and sundry.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Is there any way some of you can post your labs? Or just give me the ranges on what you've had done? What is considered "normal" is not always normal. 

Edit: By the way I'm on week one or so on cod liver oil and no break outs so far. I'll update you later on how it goes. People keep complimenting me on my skin and saying it has this glow. Interesting. 

Edited by Mahweeoh, 29 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#3484 Gladiatoro

Gladiatoro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Herbalism , data research , RC airplanes , skiing , movies , AC/DC , UFC and my custom Mustang GT.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Is there any way some of you can post your labs? Or just give me the ranges on what you've had done? What is considered "normal" is not always normal. 

Edit: By the way I'm on week one or so on cod liver oil and no break outs so far. I'll update you later on how it goes. People keep complimenting me on my skin and saying it has this glow. Interesting. 

By cod liver you are referring to Blue Ice correct ?, or are you taking something else.

#3485 Mahweeoh

Mahweeoh

Wii Yew

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

By cod liver you are referring to Blue Ice correct ?, or are you taking something else.

I'm taking Carlsons. I know some people are against how it's processed, but I'm having no issues with it thus far. Blue Ice is mighty expensive and it looked like most of it had some form of butter in it and I can't do dairy products. 

#3486 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

I think butter oil is lactose free, but apart from Blue Ice I think Carlsons is one of the few brands out there that make OK CLO.

#3487 JosephBuchignani

JosephBuchignani

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:05 AM

I can't do any dairy products except full fat homemade yogurt and butter oil. Since you've had no adverse sides from CLO, mahweeoh, might be worth seeing what the K2 in the butter oil can do for you. That was what made the huge difference for me. 

Alternate sources would be natto, some hard cheeses, or K2 pills. 

I've heavily modified my polyphasic strategy and am looking fair to unlock bio level 6. Maybe a day or two, barring accident. 

Edited by JosephBuchignani, 30 July 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Accutane - Brief low-dose course ~9 years ago for ~4 months. Liver monitored, no sides. 

Symptoms: Gradual onset of symptoms, peaking ~5 years ago. Extreme IBS, lost ability to eat almost everything, unable to work for 4 years. IBD diagnosis might've been possible, but avoided doctors and the prescription meds route, going for diet and supplements instead. Thought it was regular IBS, didn't realize it was Accutane until already had avoided the IBD diagnosis. Decided going back to hell just to get the diagnosis wasn't worth it. Regained enough health to work full time around May-June 2013. 

Regimen summary:
Eat only 
1. true free range lean chicken breast (expensive)
2. Lean white-tail shrimp (moderately expensive)
3. Glutinous rice gruel (very cheap)

All ad libitum, minimum 150g shrimp/d. 

Supplements:
1. Blue Ice CLO / Butter Oil blend
2. Udca ~1-3g /d
3. Source Naturals Essential enzymes 2x per meal
4. Symbiotics Colostrum ~1/8 scoop per meal
5. Cycled topical testosterone cream
6. Topical ACV, tea tree oil (morning) and benzoyle peroxide 10% (night)

Zeitgeibers:
1. Aim to nap every 3 hours for 20 minutes
2. Match light exposure to sunrise, sunset
3. Match meals to sun

#3488 Chico Esposito

Chico Esposito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I can't do any dairy products except full fat homemade yogurt and butter oil. Since you've had no adverse sides from CLO, mahweeoh, might be worth seeing what the K2 in the butter oil can do for you. That was what made the huge difference for me. 

I've heavily modified my polyphasic strategy and am looking fair to unlock bio level 6. Maybe a day or two, barring accident. 

So whats your routine now Joseph? are you still taking 2 grams of udca per day. You've said blue ice cod liver oil with butter oil in it has given you some improvements, acacia fiber has been mentioned and udca.

Is your diet still rice, scallops, shrimp (prawn's), homemade full fat yoghurt....can you eat anything else?

I'm finding certain trigger foods myself that cause lapses in my condition.

#3489 JosephBuchignani

JosephBuchignani

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

I cut the rice and scallops, they were suboptimal. My entire regimen and history is listed in my signature, to avoid repetition. 

Accutane - Brief low-dose course ~9 years ago for ~4 months. Liver monitored, no sides. 

Symptoms: Gradual onset of symptoms, peaking ~5 years ago. Extreme IBS, lost ability to eat almost everything, unable to work for 4 years. IBD diagnosis might've been possible, but avoided doctors and the prescription meds route, going for diet and supplements instead. Thought it was regular IBS, didn't realize it was Accutane until already had avoided the IBD diagnosis. Decided going back to hell just to get the diagnosis wasn't worth it. Regained enough health to work full time around May-June 2013. 

Regimen summary:
Eat only 

Supplements:
2. Udca ~1-3g /d

Zeitgeibers:
3. Match meals to sun

#3490 Mahweeoh

Mahweeoh

Wii Yew

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

I would if I could find out absolutely if it's dairy free. I am pretty sure I'm allergic. Just got some sort of cyst...so unless there's an initial breakout, nothing comforts me yet. I'll try this for a few months and if it works, I'll stick with it. If not, I'd have to either: find a doctor who will fix my underlying condition ( nigh impossible these days ) or get on Accutane before my parents good insurance policy runs out. I know this might bother some people to hear this after telling me not to. I can cover breakouts with makeup but the problem is pain with the larger cysts/constant itchiness that distracts me from study. How long until cod liver oil actually works normally or are there any success stories? I might switch to Blue Ice once this runs out. I'm glad that it worked for you. 

#3491 JosephBuchignani

JosephBuchignani

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Natto is dairy free. Butter oil obviously is dairy.

Just figured out the cause of the last two episodes. It wasn't a refrigeration fuckup. It was a different brand of shrimp. 

Sometimes my usual frozen source runs out, so I found a stopgap - chilled shrimp at another grocery store. First episode I wasn't sure of the cause, yellow listed the chilled shrimp and redlisted sloppiness on milk refrigeration for yogurt prep. Second episode hit despite perfect yogurt prep. Both episodes 24 hours after eating the chilled shrimp.

The second time, I'd smell tested the chilled shrimp, cooked immediately, consumed within one day. Didn't matter. 

I'll check the label and see if they're adding sodium triphosphate or something. But I suspect it's just a quality issue. It's "pre-frozen" and from china, and tastes mushy compared to my usual zesty perfect flavorful frozen source. 

This is another confirmation of previous observations on the importance of meat quality. Organic free range chicken vs. regular makes the difference between IBS attack and healthy for me. Apparently a lot of the meat out there is quite poor quality, even at respectable supermarkets. 

Damn this hypersensitivity. I'd say that mercifully it's over, and mercifully it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it's been in the past, but there was still nothing merciful about it. 

Just goes to show the importance of experimental hygeine and journaling. This could've kept happening if I hadn't been carefully tracking. It would've been easy to blame on the attendant mild overeating and poor sleep, but those were merely symptoms, not the cause. 

Lesson learned. If shrimp is mushy and bland, do not eat. Should be frozen until cooked, then eaten immediately, zesty snap crunch, nothing added. 

Regimen summary:
Eat only 

Supplements:
2. Udca ~1-3g /d

Zeitgeibers:
3. Match meals to sun

#3492 notME2013

notME2013

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Buy an aloe plant and use the sticky gel inside the leaves for your skin and hair. It works wonders and the smell goes away so don't worry about that. It's also good for reducing wrinkles.  There's loads of info online and at youtube showing detailed ways of using the aloe. In my experience, the commercial aloe gels have too many additional chems added to them. 

Dry mouth leads to more cavities, gingivitis, and overall tooth and gum decay. Biotene has mouthwash, gels and sprays to help with dry mouth.  I've always used just a little bit of vaseline on the inside of my nose to help with the dryness that causes my bloody noses. 

I play brain games or memory games to keep my mind sharp.  Games actually do stimulate your brain, they aren't just for fun.

last but not least, medicinal marijuana (where legal) can help reduce your anxiety (sativas promote social behavior and stimulate your creative mind but indicas will bring you down, reduce your desire to interact but will aid in sleep and reduce pain) but it will also cause your mouth to be dry so keep some sugar free hard candies or that Biotene mouth gel handy. 

Good luck to you

#3493 Chico Esposito

Chico Esposito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

If your going to take cod liver oil make sure to supplement with vitamin d3 as well. The blue ice brand has a lot of vitamin d in it so thats probably the safest. The D3 protects against hypervitaminosis A symptoms, around 2000iu per day will help in relation to this. K2 is also very important as it has a synergy with vitamin A and vitamin d3, the three of them work together. Joseph's taking high butter oil for the K2 but if you plan on supplementing with a pill or capsule make sure you opt for the MK-7 kind as it is derived from natto, whereas almost all the MK-4 in pill form is synthetic so that should be avoided.

Thyroid's important especially t3 as it shares receptors with d3 and vitamin A, likewise a magnesium supplement because it's the most common deficiency in the world, magnesium is essential for glucuronidation, which is important where accutane is concerned.

#3494 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Made an interesting finding today. Everybody who saw some success with UDCA should listen up. Read the post below, I would argue that anybody who has had success with UDCA is likely also going to benefit from the supplements mentioned below. 

Google translation of German wikipedia entry regarding choleretics.

http://de.wikipedia....ki/Choleretikum

Choleretics (singular: the Choleretikum) are drugs that stimulate the liver cells to increased secretion of bile.

Among the natural substances act ox bile (Fel tauri), bile acids (especially the semi-synthetically produced dehydrocholic acid), sodium sulphate (Glauber's salt) and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt), bile stimulating.
Plant-based artichoke, horsetail, thyme, garlic, Common Lavender, Dandelion, cumin, Peruvian bark, radish, milk thistle, lemon balm, celandine, pumpkin and menthol are used.
Curcumin contained in turmeric plant cholekinetisch and choleretic effect. In addition, this plant contains the active substance p-bile Tolylmethylcarbinol.
Synthetically produced choleretics are Azintamid, Febuprol, Fenipentol, Menbuton and Piprozolin.
A substance having spasmolytic and choleretic properties Hymecromon.
Previously designated to these agents together with the Cholekinetika (which drain the gallbladder) as cholagogues.

Edited by Undergroundwellness, 01 August 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#3495 outofnames

outofnames

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

That bile acids cause DNA damage and may select for apoptosis-resistant cells (both leading to increased mutation), indicates that bile acids are likely carcinogens. In humans, an increased incidence of cancer of the laryngopharyngeal tract, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, the small intestine (near the Ampulla of Vater) and the colon are associated with high levels of bile acids. The much larger number of cell generations in the colonic (and, likely, other gastrointestinal) epithelia of humans compared to rodents may allow time for induction and selection of mutations leading to cancer in humans, although not in rodents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15652226

#3496 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

That bile acids cause DNA damage and may select for apoptosis-resistant cells (both leading to increased mutation), indicates that bile acids are likely carcinogens. In humans, an increased incidence of cancer of the laryngopharyngeal tract, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, the small intestine (near the Ampulla of Vater) and the colon are associated with high levels of bile acids. The much larger number of cell generations in the colonic (and, likely, other gastrointestinal) epithelia of humans compared to rodents may allow time for induction and selection of mutations leading to cancer in humans, although not in rodents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15652226

But what if you have low levels of bile salts, that is probably not healthy either. At the end of the day it is substance produced by the body itself, so it is needed for survival.

Edited by Undergroundwellness, 02 August 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#3497 IndigoRush

IndigoRush

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

*Moderator edit, Link removed - read the board rules*

Someone linked me to this.

You may be stuck in a rut, but that's just how you feel today.
Never ever give up, because help is on it's way...

#3498 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

*Moderator edit, URL removed – please read the board rules*

reviews are amazing

the question for me is how am I going to get the stuff to Europe

#3499 navile

navile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

there are services shipping it to you for a small charge. collective order? :)

#3500 and1

and1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

there are services shipping it to you for a small charge. collective order? smile.png

I am more concerned with getting it through customs, although these are mainly whole food supplements and the packaging states 

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users