Repairing the long-term damage from Accutane

10,063 posts in this topic

Finding it fascinating as each person tries different things and seeing the responses.

Does it also mean that retinol would be good during a detox phase (eg in getting any accutane moving, ready for flushing)?

All that accutane coming out at once, 1000's of mg of retinoic acid, it'll clog up your glucuronidation pathway if you don't, so thats why the udca / tudca is important in this instance.

Yeah, that is why it takes an instance of sensitivity a few hours to settle. I guess if one were a woman and that were to happen when one was getting some grass-fed hiney, well then, a young lass would be in a pickle.

Edited by camaroz28

"Fret not fellas. I've got a 145 IQ, zen pain tolerance, the resilience of a cockroach, the survival instincts of a rat. I'll win; it's what I do. And then I'll help all of you, forgetting no one; I swear."

"I did get some fatigue and minor cramps from taste testing spicy food I was cooking. Even though I didn't swallow and rinsed, the residue got me. This hypersensitivity is annoying."

Thus spoke Joseph Buchignani.

All that accutane coming out at once, 1000's of mg of retinoic acid, it'll clog up your glucuronidation pathway if you don't, so thats why the udca / tudca is important in this instance.

Yeah, that is why takes an instance of sensitivity a few hours to settle. I guess, if one were a woman and that were to happen when one was getting some grass-fed hiney, well then, a young lass would be in a pickle.

In the event, that there are any high-brow feminists out there, please note that the specificity pronouncements made in relation to the male “hiney” do not extend further.

Edited by camaroz28

"Fret not fellas. I've got a 145 IQ, zen pain tolerance, the resilience of a cockroach, the survival instincts of a rat. I'll win; it's what I do. And then I'll help all of you, forgetting no one; I swear."

"I did get some fatigue and minor cramps from taste testing spicy food I was cooking. Even though I didn't swallow and rinsed, the residue got me. This hypersensitivity is annoying."

It seems to me that your reasoning is backwards, Chico.
If your theory is correct, then UDCA + Blue Ice is the only way to eliminate the vit A. A one day trial will suffice - no negative results will show that the Vit A is being circulated by the Blue Ice and flushed to stool by UDCA.
If however my suspicions are correct and your interpretation of the data is wrong, then Blue Ice will probably have a beneficial effect not seen by other vit-A bearing oils, due to its synergistic effects - the same pattern I observed for myself.
In that case, the problem was most likely hypersensitivity and malabsorption. In which case, taking it together with UDCA for a 1-day trial is again the safest way.
Note that TUDCA with coating is not a recommended or effective way to take UDCA for those with severe multi-faceted problems such as ours. It's 1/3 less bioavailable, and the coating can cause digestive issues that mask any benefit. The recommended dose is 1.5g/d of pure uncoated UDCA.

It seems to me that your reasoning is backwards, Chico.
If your theory is correct, then UDCA + Blue Ice is the only way to eliminate the vit A. A one day trial will suffice - no negative results will show that the Vit A is being circulated by the Blue Ice and flushed to stool by UDCA.
If however my suspicions are correct and your interpretation of the data is wrong, then Blue Ice will probably have a beneficial effect not seen by other vit-A bearing oils, due to its synergistic effects - the same pattern I observed for myself.
In that case, the problem was most likely hypersensitivity and malabsorption. In which case, taking it together with UDCA for a 1-day trial is again the safest way.
Note that TUDCA with coating is not a recommended or effective way to take UDCA for those with severe multi-faceted problems such as ours. It's 1/3 less bioavailable, and the coating can cause digestive issues that mask any benefit. The recommended dose is 1.5g/d of pure uncoated UDCA.

It takes more than one day to notice the side effects, it'll take around 1-2 weeks of constant use, the more retinol the more the effect. The dietary retinol goes into the body and is used in the vitamin A receptors, the accutane bound to the vitamin A receptors (because of the lack of other retinol sources) is then pushed back into the circulation / lymph.

Bodybuilders that take oral exogenous hormones like dianabol, take udca to protect their liver during that time. When their taking this stuff they have their natural testosterone plus this synthetic derivative testosterone circulating in their body at the same time, the glucuronidation pathway is what the body uses to remove fat soluble hormones and fat soluble vitamins. So if taken without udca it can cause cholestasis via shutting down the bile pathways in the liver, thats when steroid users get into big problems. Ironically accutane is removed in exactly the same way, so theoretically it can cause exactly the same thing to happen.

Blue ice contains 12,000iu in a teaspoon, i've noticed that 5,000iu is all the body needs for a full day, anything above that is overkill.

If your going to do this you NEED to be taking UDCA at at least 1 gram per day, you'll have to experiment finding the dose that's right for you it may be higher. Make sure your lymph is flowing via dry skin brushing or lymphatic massage, take kidney herbs to protect the kidneys, even still it's dangerous because it could potentially be a lot of retinoic acid flooding the body at once and will certainly cause symptoms of hypervitaminosis A, just be careful is all i'm saying.

2 people like this

Thanks very much, Chico, that was lucidly put.

I will extend my testing phase and keep your admonitions in mind. And I'll consider perhaps backing off on dose.

But for now I want to ramp up and see whether anything bad happens. Both food quantity and blue ice dosage. I have new limits and I want to find them.

Incidentally, I have strong evidence of K2 deficiency. Tooth plaque is decreasing substantially, my saliva tastes more "chalky", and my teeth feel sharper on the tongue. These are symptoms of K2's ability to efficiently distribute calcium.

Also, I had probably the most epicly perfect dump I've ever experienced, the full inverse of diarrhea. Any more and fiber will be an absolute requirement.

I'll be getting a full liver/hepatobiliary checkup, plus ultrasound shortly as well. May as well cover my bases.

Cod liver oil has a long history of use so I'm not terribly worried, but I don't want to screw with a damaged system either.

Edited by JosephBuchignani
1 person likes this

Accutane - Brief low-dose course ~9 years ago for ~4 months. Liver monitored, no sides.
Symptoms: Gradual onset of symptoms, peaking ~5 years ago. Extreme IBS, lost ability to eat almost everything, unable to work for 4 years. IBD diagnosis might've been possible, but avoided doctors and the prescription meds route, going for diet and supplements instead. Thought it was regular IBS, didn't realize it was Accutane until already had avoided the IBD diagnosis. Decided going back to hell just to get the diagnosis wasn't worth it. Regained enough health to work full time around May-June 2013.
Regimen summary:
Eat only
1. true free range lean chicken breast (expensive)
2. Lean white-tail shrimp (moderately expensive)
3. Glutinous rice gruel (very cheap)
All ad libitum, minimum 150g shrimp/d.
Supplements:
1. Blue Ice CLO / Butter Oil blend
2. Udca ~1-3g /d
3. Source Naturals Essential enzymes 2x per meal
4. Symbiotics Colostrum ~1/8 scoop per meal
5. Cycled topical testosterone cream
6. Topical ACV, tea tree oil (morning) and benzoyle peroxide 10% (night)
Zeitgeibers:
1. Aim to nap every 3 hours for 20 minutes
2. Match light exposure to sunrise, sunset
3. Match meals to sun

Yeah, me experience with Doctors when I mention Accutane has been outright hostile.

I also hate the experience of trying some new drug, only finding it's benefits fizzle out or never work at all.

In fact, the only thing that continues to work with me is Craze (Pre-workout supplement/stimulant for the gym).

Daaaaaamn that stuff makes me feel good. It's only meant to give you a small boost in mental focus to get more sets done but makes me feel like the Hulk. Surely not good for an already stressed adrenal gland, but if you stick to the recommended dosage and cycle off it when needed, I look forward too my next scoop like Christmas (works best when you push your body... eg exercise).

It really showed me what being awake means and returned that sense of 'drive' that I hadn't felt since my early teens. Only temporary for half a day but it was one of those wake up calls on my journey to discovering my problems. I'm meant to feel that good all the time. Naturally. Normally.

Rob Riches a famous natural bodybuilder got banned the other day from a WADA tested show because N,alpha-diethyl-benzeneethanamine was found in Craze his pre workout, he's quite a big celebrity in the youtube bodybuilding world. It's meant to be a great pre workout though and thats a great testimonial. I don't mention accutane too doctors, it instantly puts them on the defensive.

Edited by Chico Esposito

Thanks very much, Chico, that was lucidly put.

Also, I had probably the most epicly perfect dump I've ever experienced, the full inverse of diarrhea. Any more and fiber will be an absolute requirement.

Yes, Mr. Geppetto, and you too have a way of elucidating things lucidly. Chico, what happens to the randy women with procreation on their minds? I hope we have a good plumber reading this.

Edited by camaroz28

I see the castrato is tittering about my Paul Bunyan-esque logs. If he is afraid of a little TMI, I suggest he not haunt a thread dedicated to acne, ED and IBD.
Another research round, including heavy Weston Price foundation. I'm convinced CLO / butter oil is probably the #1 superfood, and broadly applicable to all health issues, and a must for long term use. Historically its been a foundation of some high performance groups, with martial, pediatric, and prophylactic applications.
Brand matters a great deal, and I'm taking the right one.
There is a historically-consistent hard upper limit on quantity per day. The recommended dose is about 5 pills per day. I doubled or trebled my dosage and experienced a slowdown tonight, so I think I've found my personal limit. I'll be backing off to one per day and reducing the yogurt intake as well.
Reason for the upper limit could be many things, not just vit A. It's strong stuff. There's really no need for an extreme dose. It's unlike UDCA, which appears to have no practical upper limit.
Hopefully with a dose of 1/d I can regain my intial lvl 5 vitality response. 24 hours should be enough to say. I'll sleep a bit more than my normal polyphasic schedule, try to eat less yogurt, and see what happens.
Slowdown could be related to overwork yesterday and a missed nap, but I highly doubt that's the sole cause. Anyway, the positive effect is certainly not scaling linearly with dose. That's good enough for me.
Always good to find one's upper limit. No sense leaving free health on the table.

Accutane - Brief low-dose course ~9 years ago for ~4 months. Liver monitored, no sides.
Symptoms: Gradual onset of symptoms, peaking ~5 years ago. Extreme IBS, lost ability to eat almost everything, unable to work for 4 years. IBD diagnosis might've been possible, but avoided doctors and the prescription meds route, going for diet and supplements instead. Thought it was regular IBS, didn't realize it was Accutane until already had avoided the IBD diagnosis. Decided going back to hell just to get the diagnosis wasn't worth it. Regained enough health to work full time around May-June 2013.
Regimen summary:
Eat only
Supplements:
2. Udca ~1-3g /d
Zeitgeibers:
3. Match meals to sun

I am an 18 year old girl. I am about to go into my 3rd month of Accutane. Aside from the horrible cracking and bleeding of my lips, muscle pain, and nosebleeds I have had some other really scary side effects. 6 days into the medication i started having numbness in my hands and feet. i was told that it was not a symptom of Accutane but did some research myself and found that it was. My doctor diagnosed me with pernicious anemia meaning that i no longer had the ability to effectively absorb B12 and that i can no longer produce red blood cells at a normal rate. I have had extreme numbing in my hands and feet and swelling supposedly caused by lack of oxygen to my veins so they couldn't pump the blood properly. Now they are saying that i may have neuropathy. No one seems to know what is going on with me and I'm still hearing from some that it isn't caused by the Accutane (although my doctor is starting to take my complaints more seriously), but i haven't ever had problems like this before. Is anyone else having these problems?

Is anyone else having these problems?

Yes, neuropathy has been diagnosed in those who have taken DHT inhibitors. All of the high-brow diagnosticians here haven’t ascended to the lofty heights beyond life-long hypervitaminosis A and life-long, undiagnosable, drug-induced cholestasis. Isn’t it unwelcoming for people with real problems to be greeted by that diatribe-espousing, skeletal hobo?

1 person likes this

If they're leaning to neuropathy, I'd be hunting for my closest hyperbaric chamber. Would probably help with alot of the other side effects as well.

1 person likes this

Hailey, in all seriousness go to Propeciahelp.com. The discussions there will help you. It's all dudes, so just pretend that you are one too. Peace.

1 person likes this

Yes, It can cause neuropathy and also it is listed in the rx information from Roche and Generics that it can cause pernicious anemia or anemia in general. In fact after my course I was found to have 3% iron in my body in which I could of died. I take Iron, Vit B12 (which was found to be low also) folic acid and I take it water and a drink of OJ. However, I have been left with type 1 autoimmune diabetes. My Neuropathy got better over the years and a lot better when my iron, and b12 levels were fixed. If your doc doesn't take you seriously then find a new one or go to the emergency room if needed. I am not saying they will be any better but I sought a slew before I got help and answers.

Have they tested your thyroid, hormones or diabetes???? I hope to god you have stopped Accutane and don't ever take it again!

I am an 18 year old girl. I am about to go into my 3rd month of Accutane. Aside from the horrible cracking and bleeding of my lips, muscle pain, and nosebleeds I have had some other really scary side effects. 6 days into the medication i started having numbness in my hands and feet. i was told that it was not a symptom of Accutane but did some research myself and found that it was. My doctor diagnosed me with pernicious anemia meaning that i no longer had the ability to effectively absorb B12 and that i can no longer produce red blood cells at a normal rate. I have had extreme numbing in my hands and feet and swelling supposedly caused by lack of oxygen to my veins so they couldn't pump the blood properly. Now they are saying that i may have neuropathy. No one seems to know what is going on with me and I'm still hearing from some that it isn't caused by the Accutane (although my doctor is starting to take my complaints more seriously), but i haven't ever had problems like this before. Is anyone else having these problems?

Edited by oli girl
2 people like this

The secret of health for both mind & body

is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

The Buddha

Well the weird malaise from fat soluble vitamin overdose is gone, and the only way to describe how I'm back to feeling is "awesome".
It appears that my remaining acne may be vanishing, and my facial skin taking on a completely different tone and glow.
Energy and mood are simply exceptional, clearly level 5.
The malaise had nothing like what Chico experiences. Reminded me of when I've taken Vit D in the past, which didn't sit well with me. But an added component, more fatigue, almost a bit of nausea. I slept it off for 7 hours, backed off to 1 blue ice per day, and it was gone. Probably 18 hours total mild discomfort / fatigue, with one night's full sleep instead of polyphasic sleep.
Definitely not a scary substance.

Regimen summary:
Eat only
Supplements:
2. Udca ~1-3g /d
Zeitgeibers:
3. Match meals to sun

Just get off the accutane now, accutane is just hugely toxic amounts of vitamin A given orally. There are a million ways to cure acne with ZERO side effects, if your 3 months in and they are already treating you for secondary problems caused by accutane just stop taking it, it's really as simple as that.

The damage may very well reverse itself if you get off it, ultimately you have to consider your health. The doctor doesn't have to live your life for you, and if they are too stupid to realise it's the accutane thats causing the problem, do you really want someone like that giving you advice?

Edited by Chico Esposito
4 people like this

I slept it off for 7 hours, backed off to 1 blue ice per day, and it was gone. Probably 18 hours total mild discomfort / fatigue, with one night's full sleep instead of polyphasic sleep.

Oh boy, this automaton’s updates are driving me bonkers. I feel like an orphan desperately trying to maintain consciousness through a b-grade horror movie on Christmas Eve.

I seriously wish i had found this before I started Accutane. I ave already been to a different doctor who is the one getting me actual help. My dermatologist still denies these side effects are from Accutane. I am trying to get into a neurologist but most wont see me because I am not 21 and the pediatric ones wont see me because i turned 18 a week ago. They actually want to send me to one outside the state. If l had any idea Accutane would do this to me I would never have taken it. The only side effects I was told about were dry lips and birth defects. They also told me about depression after i asked because it was on the papers I had to sign. I had been diagnosed with depression before this medication but it was under control until I started it. When i told my dermatologist about it he said that there was no "real" link between depression and Accutane and that I should talk to a therapist. I shouldn't have even been prescribed this medication as my acne was really not that severe. All i can say is that I'm really frustrated and scared. I want answers about what's going on with me but it doesn't seem like they have any.

I seriously wish i had found this before I started Accutane. I ave already been to a different doctor who is the one getting me actual help. My dermatologist still denies these side effects are from Accutane. I am trying to get into a neurologist but most wont see me because I am not 21 and the pediatric ones wont see me because i turned 18 a week ago. They actually want to send me to one outside the state. If l had any idea Accutane would do this to me I would never have taken it. The only side effects I was told about were dry lips and birth defects. They also told me about depression after i asked because it was on the papers I had to sign. I had been diagnosed with depression before this medication but it was under control until I started it. When i told my dermatologist about it he said that there was no "real" link between depression and Accutane and that I should talk to a therapist. I shouldn't have even been prescribed this medication as my acne was really not that severe. All i can say is that I'm really frustrated and scared. I want answers about what's going on with me but it doesn't seem like they have any.

Of course the derm denies everything he is scared of lawyers and lawsuits.

1 person likes this

Of course the derm denies everything he is scared of lawyers and lawsuits.

He probably should be scared of a lawsuit if he is treating everyone the way he has treated me. He told me he wanted to send me to a neurologist 3 weeks after already releasing my medical records to two of them with out the permission of my guardian (I was still 17 at the time of release). Not that I'm opposed to going to a neurologist or anything because I do want to know whats going on but he shouldn't have released my medical records without consent.

Hailey, please taper off the medication if you haven't begun already.

1 person likes this

You organics are simply ill suited for modern chemical warfare. The cyborg is the new flesh.
I've also been testing increased eating, by relaxing the 2l/d yogurt constraint.
Result: previously overeating caused a 1 level drop, 4 to 3, with soft stool, and significant cramping with small to moderate involuntary saliva production.
New result (post Blue Ice): overeating causes a 1 level drop, 5 to 4. Stool remains perfectly formed. Cramps are merely mildly painful and do not include saliva. Fatigue is still present, but much less severe.
Obviously I cannot accept a 1 point level drop. So I need to reinstitute yogurt volume control.
I had hoped that the 2x water + shrimp + 1 bowl yogurt meal protocol would sufficiently correct overeating. It helps, but it is still not enough.
I do not wish to simply go back to the 2l/d rule. It had several flaws:
1. Creates a feeling of scarcity, deprivation and hunger that requires significant willpower to combat, during the ~12+ hour period when the 2l yogurt limit is reached.
2. Creates problems with metering. Must use a 2l tupperware, and carry to work and back. Time of eating rollover is a cheating point; the 2l container is a cheating point.
3. Still permits single meal instances of overeating, and encourages them due to hunger buildup during deprivation period.
My solution:
Eat yogurt every other meal. So 1/2 the time, I am only eating shrimp. This combines the best of both worlds - unmetered yogurt and 2l/d rule.
The next shipment of IBS supps should arrive soon, which may further reduce this problem. But I think the human tendency to overeat is universal, and for maximum acuity some kind of permanent portion control is probably necessary. It's just that most people experience a less dramatic effect. It may also have something to do with lactose quantity.

Regimen summary:
Eat only
Supplements:
2. Udca ~1-3g /d
Zeitgeibers:
3. Match meals to sun

http://balancedconcepts.net/liver_phases_detox_paths.pdf

This is a good link to showing what nutrients are needed for liver detoxification and how accutane and other pharmaceuticals get broken down in the body, between the liver and the kidneys.

A good multivitamin / mineral without vitamin A is foundational, amino acids and nutrients like NAC, milk thistle and other phtyonutrients help the liver to remove chemicals. Likewise a good kidney formula using natural duiretics like nettle leaf, celery seed etc can help fortify the kidneys. In the uk there is a herbal tea called Pukka, they have both a cleanse and a detox tea that with strengthen the kidneys available in most supermarkets.

As far as multi's go heres one without Vitamin A http://www.healthplus.co.uk/Multi-Vits-n-Mins-Without-Vitamin-A.html

For the amino's you want complete proteins like egg white, meat, fish, something like an egg white powder would contain all the essential amino's, with some rice milk, it actually tastes nice.

2 people like this