What to do before a hormone blood test?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kristabel

Kristabel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

I am having a blood test to check my hormone levels, has anyone on here done this?

Do you have to fast before the test?

Is there anything you should/shouldnt do before the test?

#2 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

I had this done a few months ago. I think I had to fast for it. Good luck! Just remember that even if your testosterone or androgen levels are low you may still be sensitive to these hormones and get an acne response. All this means is that you may benefit from Spironolactone, less stress, and topicals that improve skin function so that even if your skin is reacting to the hormones it won't clog up as easily.

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#3 noni75

noni75

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Is your insurance going to cover the test (s)? I need to have hormone testing, but uncertain if it will be covered and cannot affored to pay out of pocket.
Thanks

#4 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hmmm. I was never told to fast before my hormone tests although I don't think I ate breakfast before either my reg. doctor appointment or my derm appointment (both doctors did tests) so maybe that was a good thing.

#5 Kristabel

Kristabel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (noni75 @ May 7 2011, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your insurance going to cover the test (s)? I need to have hormone testing, but uncertain if it will be covered and cannot affored to pay out of pocket.
Thanks

I am in the uk. Its free here

I dont want to affect the accuracy of the results of the test so can anyone say definitively if its better to eat that morning or not? To get the most accurate result? thanks

#6 doodleme123

doodleme123

Test Subject

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (Kristabel @ May 9 2011, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (noni75 @ May 7 2011, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks

I am in the uk. Its free here

I dont want to affect the accuracy of the results of the test so can anyone say definitively if its better to eat that morning or not? To get the most accurate result? thanks

Did you get your results back yet? I had my thyroid tested (I'm male) and it was normal. I didn't fast or anything.

''I'm not clever, but I figure if I ask all the questions, somebody else might have all the answers'' - Quote, Me!

#7 littlelake

littlelake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Who, or what doctor do you even go to, to get your hormones checked. I just got back from my GP, and he just threw retin-a at me, I've never tried that, but I'm more concerned about what is still causing my acne at 28. sad.gif

Edited by Small Sushi, 17 May 2011 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users