Photo

Mild Acne/Cysts/Wedding/Doxy?

cyst vitamin d folic acid calcium oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

I'm new here! Hi everyone!

So I have mild acne thats almost exclusively on my chin. When I break out it gets bad. I get 3-5 cysts on my chin that take forever to go away.

I took Septra (Bactrim) twice in the last year which worked at stopping more cysts, but the second time i took it, it took alot longer to work and i dont think it quite worked as well as i got a new (but small) cyst when i was taking it which hadnt happened before.

A few things about me:

• i have very oily skin. always have
  • i exclusively drink water
  • i use benzaclin prescription antibiotic/BP topical on breakouts
  • i take vitamin D, B12, B6, Folic acid, Calcium and Omega 3 daily

my skin is pretty good but but flares up with stress. I'm getting married in Sept and dont want any cysts- its my biggest fear so my Dr gave me a prescription for Doxy to take 6 weeks from wedding to ensure I'm clear.

I've never taken doxy and have read a few people on here said it made their skin WORSE. AHh. Now I dont know what to do...

Thoughts?

#2 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

Doxy actually helped me when I was on it. I think it was starting to clear things up shortly before my follow up doctor appointment 2 months after I started taking it. I was also prescribed differin at the same time. I think an antibiotic before the wedding could help you. Have you ever had cortizone shots? I haven't had one yet, but if that helps you at all that could be an option for you if despite your best efforts a little one pops up.

#3 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

thanks for replying

my prescription is only for 6 weeks of doxy. 200 mg a day for 2 weeks, then every other day for 2 weeks, then every 3rd day for two weeks. is that normal?

im just concerned that it will make it worse as thats what i read for some people..

septra is great but i feel like im building up a resistance to it so wanted to take something else before having to take it again.

i only take it when i start to get a cyst (because i know more are coming)

and no cortizone. my dr doesnt do that. a derm would have to. i guess if i get one close to wedding i could get a referral and get a shot

#4 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

I've heard of other people taking an antibiotic to calm cystic flare ups. I'm not sure what dosage I was on but it didn't make mine worse, it was really helpful. I wouldn't stress over it. The antibiotic will likely keep the cysts away and you know you have a back up plan with the cortizone shots if you need them.

#5 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

thanks.

ya ive taken bactrim twice now and it works, its just becoming less effective as i think im getting used to it.

ive been doing alot of reading on this site about it and read many people with mild/moderate acne saying that it made it worse and made them get acne in places they've never had it before... so it worries me a ton. lots of side effects too.

im hoping to hear some more stories of people with cysts who used doxy successfully...

i wish there was some kind of permanent internal solution to the bacteria...

#6 Ella27

Ella27

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi!

Congrats on your engagement and soon marriage! smile.gif

Anyway I take doxy as well and its my first oral pill I really ever took so I was scared as well. My skin is light to mild since I sometimes get one to two cysts that were once really big. With doxy however the only time I happen to get cysts is when I am getting my period and they are not nearly as big or as painful. I am currently taking 100mg and want to ask my derma to increase that a bit more to see of it will shrink them further. The worst thing you can see is no change really unless you somehow have an allergic reaction. I hope this works wonders on your skin but I know you will already look beautiful for your wedding! smile.gif

Good luck

Ella
I wanna find love and I wanna keep it.
I had it once but I didn't mind leaving it.
But I was younger then, and I learned everything alone.
Alone.

Love is an aeroplane. It can travel across the world.
And lift you high above, and still it'll never change.
Love is a gentle word, even when your pride is hurt.
Won't turn you away. Won't bring up yesterday.

Love is, love is, love is everything~

#7 Cole805

Cole805

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (chelslaw @ May 3 2011, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I have mild acne thats almost exclusively on my chin. When I break out it gets bad. I get 3-5 cysts on my chin that take forever to go away.

I took Septra (Bactrim) twice in the last year which worked at stopping more cysts, but the second time i took it, it took alot longer to work and i dont think it quite worked as well as i got a new (but small) cyst when i was taking it which hadnt happened before.

A few things about me:

my skin is pretty good but but flares up with stress. I'm getting married in Sept and dont want any cysts- its my biggest fear so my Dr gave me a prescription for Doxy to take 6 weeks from wedding to ensure I'm clear.

I've never taken doxy and have read a few people on here said it made their skin WORSE. AHh. Now I dont know what to do...

Thoughts?

I took doxy for almost 2 years and it defintaly helped my acne but as far as staying clear, it did not. however after the first month i was completley clear and stayed clear for about 3-4 months after. After that i got mild -moderate acne again but not even close to the way it was before. So I would tink if you started taking it a mont or two before your wedding that would be your best cance or hopefully your not like me and it will work for you and keep you clear permenatly. Good luck with the doxy and congrats on your wedding!
My Regimen

AM:
-Shower and wash face for 10 secs with Purpose gental cleanser
Wait 10 mins
-3-3 1/2 Pumps of Dans BP
Wait 25-30 mins
-Moisturize with Complex 15 moisturizing cream mixed with 6-7 drops of Desert Essence Jojoba oil
Wait 20 mins for the moisturizer to turn clear,than leave for work
Drive to work(30-45 mins) and apply Solar Sense Clear Zinc Sport(sweat proof) Spf 50 mixed with 5-6 drops of jojoba oil

PM
-Same as AM excpet no Sunscreen and 2-3 nights a week I moisturize with Lac hydrin 5 with 7-8 drops of jojoba oil

Supplements: 3 fish oil pills(2x daily),Vitamin D3, Zinc(50 mg), One a day Mens pro edge multi, Vitamin C, 3 Ginko bilobas(2x daily), Vitamin B12, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, 2 Niacins and finally, 2 Melatonins at night

#8 Cole805

Cole805

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (chelslaw @ May 3 2011, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few things about me:

Thoughts?

I took doxy for almost 2 years and it defintaly helped my acne but as far as staying clear, it did not. however after the first month i was completley clear and stayed clear for about 3-4 months after. After that i got mild -moderate acne again but not even close to the way it was before. So I would think if you started taking it a month or two before your wedding that would be your best chance or hopefully your not like me and it will work for you and keep you clear permenatly. Good luck with the doxy and congrats on your wedding!
My Regimen

AM:
-Shower and wash face for 10 secs with Purpose gental cleanser
Wait 10 mins
-3-3 1/2 Pumps of Dans BP
Wait 25-30 mins
-Moisturize with Complex 15 moisturizing cream mixed with 6-7 drops of Desert Essence Jojoba oil
Wait 20 mins for the moisturizer to turn clear,than leave for work
Drive to work(30-45 mins) and apply Solar Sense Clear Zinc Sport(sweat proof) Spf 50 mixed with 5-6 drops of jojoba oil

PM
-Same as AM excpet no Sunscreen and 2-3 nights a week I moisturize with Lac hydrin 5 with 7-8 drops of jojoba oil

Supplements: 3 fish oil pills(2x daily),Vitamin D3, Zinc(50 mg), One a day Mens pro edge multi, Vitamin C, 3 Ginko bilobas(2x daily), Vitamin B12, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, 2 Niacins and finally, 2 Melatonins at night

#9 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

thanks for your input. smile.gif