Photo

Anyone on Primal Defense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:22 AM

As I understand it, a probiotic formula is designed to populate the intestinal flora with a variety of beneficial bacteria. As such, it contains several strains of live bacteria. I wonder why it is necessary to take so many capsules? The recommended dose is something like 3 capsules every day. There must be millions of individual bacteria in each capsule. As everyone knows, a single bacterium, in a favorable environment, will multiply by dividing, rapidly becoming a colony of millions of bacteria. So, unless the bacteria in a probiotic formula are rapidly killed off in the intestine, it should not be necessary to take several capsules a day, every day.

I haven't tried taking a probiotic, but if I did, I think I would start by taking one capsule a week, and see if there are beneficial results. Of course, the vendor who sells probiotic capsules would like you to use up the bottle quickly and order another, but I think taking that many capsules may be totally unnecessary. Taking that into account, the amount of molasses in one capsule is probably trivial, if you're taking only one capsule now and then, instead of several every day.

I would not expect any bacterial species that is quickly killed off in the intestine to be beneficial anyway. The immune system has evolved to kill off the harmful bacteria and spare the beneficial ones. You could probably get the same benefit of a probiotic formula by going out to your garden and eating dirt, but most people would consider that unsanitary. So, instead they buy expensive bottles of encapsulated germs, and eat that instead.

I noticed that some of the bacterial species in Primal Defense are the same ones in yogurt. So, you could eat that, but not too much, because the lactose in dairy products is a sugar which can cause acne.

#22 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:09 AM

Emma, I was only trying to help. You were NOT causing strife. I understood where you were coming from. I guess that since yucca was the last ingredient on the "poten-zyme" ingredients list, I didn't think that it was a big deal that it was removed. I understand the synergestic nature of how these these things work together, I just wasn't that bothered by it. Like I said, I personally didn't feel that they had changed the formula so much that it effected the hso's or how the body metabolized them.

I'm sorry if I offended you by trying to inject lightheartedness into the topic, but I guess I just had an entirely different view of this.

#23 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:10 AM

Steve: Probiotics are entirely different than homeostatic soil microorganisms.

#24 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:24 PM

There may only be 2 reasons for this,
cost and effectivity OR
"the company's benefit" and "ours"
OR maybe both

#25 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

There may only be 2 reasons for this,
cost and effectivity OR
"the company's benefit" and "ours"

I am 99% sure it is for the company's benefit. They added a lot more filler, whereas before they only had a couple of fillers, now they have 7. Also, they increased iron;probably cut down on HSO's, although they don't allow you to determine that due to it(HSO"s)suddenly being quantified in mg.'s now, rather than CFU's as they were previously, so I am unable to determine that fact--quite cunning of them, eh? They also took away two key ingredients.

BS in my opinion, but I'm the only one it bothers. *Shrugs*

I don't know if you can use PD while on a cleanse. I don't do cleanses. I would think it would be a bit much, Paul. Better safe than sorry.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#26 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Sep 1 2004, 11:20 AM)

it bothers me too... i was thinking of trying this stuff but now im a bit turned off.

#27 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Well Emma, I'm not too thrilled about it either now that you mention the increase of fillers and the possible decrease of HSO's. The product is already expensive so if you happen to find another source of HSO's, please post it. I have looked and found nothing.
By the way, Jordan Ruben's book is great! I've been reading it today.

"Also, they increased iron;probably cut down on HSO's, although they don't allow you to determine that due to it(HSO"s)suddenly being quantified in mg.'s now, rather than CFU's as they were previously, so I am unable to determine that fact--quite cunning of them, eh?" sad.gif bb_icon_confused.gif

#28 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:08 PM

I read both books. They were good.

Another thing, they did all their medical studies on the old formula. There was no efficient reason to change it--plenty of monetary reasons though.

Now, the studies mean squat.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#29 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 09:55 PM)

bb_neutral.gif

Em.. I haven't gotten this far in the book yet and don't know if it even mentions it but, do you think it would interfere with the Primal Defense if I was to take apple cider vinegar drinks? ACV has antibiotic/antifungal properties in it and I wouldn't want to take something that would destroy the GOOD bacteria in the Primal Defense. Any thoughts on this?

#30 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:03 AM

Because I've read Primal Defense experiences via curezone about it being ineffective, due to mucoid plaque infestation, that they are interfering with the HSO/probiotic absorbtion. Hence the need for prior bowel flushing.

#31 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Scorpion_Vixen @ Sep 1 2004, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 09:55 PM)

bb_neutral.gif

Em.. I haven't gotten this far in the book yet and don't know if it even mentions it but, do you think it would interfere with the Primal Defense if I was to take apple cider vinegar drinks? ACV has antibiotic/antifungal properties in it and I wouldn't want to take something that would destroy the GOOD bacteria in the Primal Defense. Any thoughts on this?

Well, I'm not sure. They don't have vinegar on the forbidden list, however, it is not allowed for candida. They mention to stay away from vinegar fermented products specifically. However, I use vinegar in my salad every day.

#32 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 08:20 PM)

It bothers me, too, Emma. mad.gif

#33 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE( Scorpion_Vixen @ Sep 1 2004 @ 12:22 AM)
QUOTE(emmanuel @ Aug 31 2004, 11:40 PM)

:neutral:

Well, I'm not sure. They don't have vinegar on the forbidden list, however, it is not allowed for candida. They mention to stay away from vinegar fermented products specifically. However, I use vinegar in my salad every day.

View Post

Now I started wondering myself. evil.gif evil.gif The old formula says barley grass and oat grass are organic and they omitted that in the new label. Does it mean it's not organic anymore? evil.gif

Someone else should compete with Primal Defense because I feel like they're starting to be tempted by the devil.