Best book shedding light on acne?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:17 AM

Hey, I want to buy a book all abnout acne and was wondering what is the best i can get? I heard many people mentioning Dr. Perricones book. Is it really one of the best?

user posted image

#2 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, weightlifting, baseball, women

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:52 AM

that book is quackery at its finest.

#3 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Ben16 @ Aug 26 2004, 10:04 AM)
Hey, I want to buy a book all abnout acne and was wondering what is the best i can get? I heard many people mentioning Dr. Perricones book. Is it really one of the best?

user posted image

Read this article of Dr. Robert Preston first: http://www.iinr.org/...eports/ACNE.PDF

After reading this I dont think you have to buy that book anymore. I have read the whole article and do agree with a lot of what he is saying. I think carbohydrates screws up all. Go Paleo wink.gif

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

Dr. Perricone is an...ahem *courtesan*---he puts everything nicely, but he just wants to make money IMO.

He does have some good points though. It is like anything else, read it and take from it what makes sense to you. Leave the rest.

#5 lookingtobeclear

lookingtobeclear

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

I bought the book - and I do think he has some interesting things to say - but honestly, I felt like I was reading one long commercial. Plus, in the end, it's not JUST a diet he recommends. He also says to buy such and such supplements and I think he even mentioned his make-up in the book, too.

Hit his web site and check out the prices first.

I was just bothered by the comments of a "diet" and instead this was more like a Jenny Craig plan - buy my products, eat this food (sold to you by my endorsers), take my supplements, wear my make-up and use my acne products (which bears to question if it's the Acne Diet - why do I have to buy all this other stuff, too?).

But each person should make up their own mind.

As emmual says - take what seems logical (but cover the rest with kitty litter...)

http://www.drperricone.com/

#6 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:35 PM

Speaking of shedding light on acne, there is a therapy that does just that. It's blue light therapy, in which the skin is exposed to intense blue light for 20 to 30 minutes per session. The way it works is that the blue light converts porphyrins, a metabolic byproduct of p. acnes bacteria, into free radicals which kill the bacteria. The range of wavelengths used is 405 to 420 nanometers. That is at the far blue end of the visible light spectrum, bordering on ultraviolet, which arbitrarily begins at 400 nanometers and ranges to shorter wavelengths. I considered trying blue light therapy, but decided not to, because the wavelengths used seem too close to ultraviolet.

For more information about blue light therapy, Google "acne blue light."

#7 dantecubit

dantecubit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:06 PM

I checked out his book from the library and boy am I glad I didn't buy it. Basically, his program can be simplified to 2 things-- blood sugar about antioxidants. The first one you control by eating low GI foods, and the second you increase with diet, supplements and topicals. Anyway, the stuff he recommends (surprise surprise) is hard to find except on his site.

If you want more info, I can summarize it. Really not worth buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users