Photo

Vitamin D Deficiency the cause of acne?

vitamin d

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ellinas

Ellinas

this is a member title :D

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

I've noticed my acne getting worse when I switched careers. I used to work outdoors doing labouring before the business closed down and my position made redundant, now my career is mainly indoors and don't get as much sun as I used to.

After read this article:

http://lighttherapyo...min-d-and-acne/

I'm almost convinced that Vitamin D may be the cause for some peoples acne. Going to get some Vitamin D pill and see what happens.

So much for "Slip-Slop-Slap"

#2 exmark

exmark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Sun exposure = vitamin d (d3)

#3 TexMurphy01

TexMurphy01

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

Op, keep us posted!

#4 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Vitamin D3 DOES help many people's acne because it's a prehormone, so it can even help with hormonal acne. Besides that it:

Here are some benefits of Vitamin D:
o Maintains Your Calcium Balance
o Aids Your Cell Differentiation
o Boosts Your Immunity
o Has a Role in Insulin Secretion
o Blood Pressure Regulation
o Vitamin D and Diseases (Cancer, Alzheimer’s, and Osteoporosis)

I haven' tried it myself, but I do personally know 2 people who stopped breaking out after they supplemented with vitamin d3.

#5 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

there is a very strong scientific link.

Sebocytes Express Functional Cathelicidin Antimicrobial Peptides and Can Act to Kill Propionibacterium Acnes-
Cathelicidin is present in sebaceous glands isolated from normal scalp, in isolated sebaceous gland extracts, and in SZ95 sebocytes, where it is inducible by 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D3.

http://www.nature.co...l/5701235a.html

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 31 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#6 MrBungle

MrBungle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

I had GREAT resulty by taking 3000IU daily of Vitamin D3.
Severe acne, now 80% clear thanx to this vitamin.
IN MY CASE, the deficiency of this vitamin has a great impoprtance. But I've read about people taking 5000-7000IU of VITD3 w/o any improvements...

#7 03GT

03GT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Was in the Outer Banks for a week and my acne 100% cleared up. Now that I'm home, small pimples are cropping up. Definitely a correlation.

#8 lllhhk

lllhhk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:20 AM

Correlation does not equal cause. I sincerely believe that Vit D isn't a solution to acne... but tried measures to increase but it didn't do away my acne 100%...

#9 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

I should also point out that getting vitamin d from the sun isn't always possible. Here the sun isn't even strong enough (because of latitude) 9 months of the year, and again because of latitude even during the three months it's POSSIBLE to get vitamin d from the sun you'll need a lot more than a few minutes, about 45 minutes actually of midday sun. And thats IF it's sunny because it rains A LOT. On top of that, even if you got out for an hour of sun every sunny day in the summer you would not get a tan unless you tanned extremely well, so it has nothing to do with being tan. There's estimates that in our population as much as 80-90% may be vitamin d deficient. Just pointing out that for a lot of people a vitamin d pill may be their only real solution. For me it has cleared my acne so far (2 weeks in) at least 95%.

I get hardly any calcium though, so I need to get more of that into my diet asap because taking vitamin d (or even getting it from the sun) is dangerous unless you get adequate calcium because the vitamin d can actually take calcium from your bones and teeth!

Edited by GreenEyes33, 09 June 2011 - 05:09 AM.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Most likely it was the vitamin D, the bright light exposures affect on your circadian cycle, and perhaps some anti-microbial action from the sun.

Vitamin D is definitely a factor in your body's function and ability to manage hormones and inflammation.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (GreenEyes33 @ May 18 2011, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vitamin D3 DOES help many people's acne because it's a prehormone, so it can even help with hormonal acne. Besides that it:

Here are some benefits of Vitamin D:
o Maintains Your Calcium Balance
o Aids Your Cell Differentiation
o Boosts Your Immunity
o Has a Role in Insulin Secretion
o Blood Pressure Regulation

Yes. And blood pressure regulation affects blood sugar metabolism/insulin.

And of course, impaired cell differentiation is at the root of acne formation.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (lllhhk @ Jun 9 2011, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correlation does not equal cause. I sincerely believe that Vit D isn't a solution to acne... but tried measures to increase but it didn't do away my acne 100%...

100%? So what percent did it do away with? Did you try it with your diet that cleared you 90%? Because they don't clear you 100%, you consider them to not be causes?

Try to understand. There's all kinds of processes going on in the body that lead to acne. There isn't one thing. This lack of understanding is holding you back.

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (ashley is hxc!~*~ @ Apr 23 2011, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5 minutes of sun is enough for adequate vit D.

Generally, if someone is always outside, it can help clear up existing acne and keep it away. But has NOTHING to do with the vit D itself. So many people have posted here about how they've tanned (naturally or with tanning beds) during the summer, are completely clear, but then once they stop tanning, they break out. Meaning it's the burning/tanning that is keeping them clear, not the vitamin D.

And many people have posted that vitamin D supplementation improved their skin. Because it was the vitamin D.

And no, 5 minutes is not enough for most lattitudes in most times of the year. And where it is, if it is, it's full body exposure. And I really think it's more like 15.