Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iodine

17 posts in this topic

Someone emailed me who was unable to join the boards but wanted me to post this for them:

" I am just asking that you give a last hope

to some of the sad suffers of acne this one last piece of info. I am now 47 and have had acne on and off for over 20 years. A long time ago I read the connection between the mineral

found in some salts called iodine. I immediately bought uniodized salt (it says it does not

have iodine added!). Also, many vitamins contain iodine (Centrum,etc.) This dramatically

( for the better) helped my cystic acne and is a huge piece to the puzzle. Please post this info on your

website if you can. Thank-you!!--C. Patouhas"

Someone emailed me who was unable to join the boards but wanted me to post this for them:

" I am just asking that you give a last hope

to some of the sad suffers of acne this one last piece of info.  I am now 47 and have had acne on and off for over 20 years.  A long time ago I read the connection between the mineral

found in some salts called iodine.  I immediately bought uniodized salt (it says it does not

have iodine added!). Also, many vitamins contain iodine (Centrum,etc.) This dramatically

( for the better) helped my cystic acne and is a huge piece to the puzzle. Please post this info on your

website if you can.  Thank-you!!--C. Patouhas"

cynic:

uniodized = without iodine

iodized = with iodine

What the woman is saying is iodine is bad news, and avoiding it helped reduce her acne.

Oops. Got a bit confused there then. bb_icon_rolleyes.gifbb_icon_redface.gif

Which foods contain iodine then?

list of some foods that contain iodine:

Iodized salt, sea salt, and salty foods.

All dairy products (milk, sour cream, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream)

Margarine

Egg yolks

Seafood (fish, shellfish, seaweed, kelp)

Foods that contain carrageen, agar-agar, algin, or alginate - all of these are made from seaweed

Many prepared and/or cured meats (ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, etc)

Fresh chicken or turkey with broth or additives injected

Dried fruit

Canned vegetables

Commercial bakery products

Chocolate

Molasses

Soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu)

Any vitamins or supplements that contain iodine

FD&C red dye #3 - this appears in many foods or pills that are red or brown, including colas

hi Frances! biggrin.gif

iodine deficiencies are now extremely rare in the united states..we inject everything(cheaper than producing quality product....it's easier to produce crap product and engineer "quality" later)......mmmm mmmmm....good!

I don't think cutting back on iodine is bad. For most people it can probably only be a good thing. I just want people to read up a bit before they do - particularly if they have thyroid issues already.

The sea salt I bought from the grocery store says it does not contain iodine. So whether it has iodine or not depends if the manufacture adds it into it.

If you buy sea salt, make sure it is Unrefined Sea Salt.

I agree w/ the iodine link. I can't eat shellfish foods w/o breakout. I don't miss shrimp, but I sure miss lobsters...and crabs. boohoo.

i think most likely there is a very big difference between vitamins found in FORTIFIED foods and vitamins found NATURALLY in food.

yes, i do believe sea salt contain iodine, but it does so naturally. i'd stay away from all fortified food.

i eat a good about of veggies with naturally high iodine content. and all i use is sea salt. i don't see it affecting my skin negatively. my skins been very good on the low simple carb/low sugar/low dairy diet. also, i've read many people have notice their skin improved when they stopped taking commercial vitamin supplements. so my theory is if it's not naturally occuring, don't eat it!

u should avoid iodine in gr8er amounts that the RDI of 120-150mcg. normal amounts wont aggravate the skin but amounts higher than that worsen your skin

1000% RDA,no difference.Natural sea salt has some iodine too.(less than iodized salt)

Even if Iodine defiency CAN ultimately result in death, the effects of iodine deficiency are EXTREMELY noticeable WAY before death occurs. I think one of the major side effects is a hugely enlarged thyroid gland in your neck.

damn.... i've just started taking multivitamin Centrum Forte sicne i need more zinc. but i notice it has Iodine as well. hope it doesn't break me out.

i wanted to get better skin thats why i started taking this and looks like it's gonna backfire now sad.gif