Photo

How can fastfood give you acne? isnt it genes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 nitsuj

nitsuj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:07 PM

i dont get how fastfood like (frenchfries, hamburgers) give you acne and you change your diet, dont you need to eat everything to be healthy? not just fruits and veggies's

just wondering!! smile.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

#2 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

You need to eat all of the HEALTHY things to be healthy. Fast food is posion for you.

#3 acnehater

acnehater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:59 AM

While there is no scientific proof that a poor diet causes/exacerbates acne, I come from the school of thought that YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT. Therefore, if you want to look (and smell) like a sloppy hamburger and a greasy french fry, go ahead and eat lots of nasty fast food! However, in fairness to the main fast food chains, they are really starting to get with the program by adding a lot of "healthier" choices to their menu. I rather like the new salads offered by McD's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Arby's. But I definitely notice a difference in my skin (and overall well-being) when I have been eating a lot of the "bad" fast food on a regular basis. Makes me feel like a big, fat, bloated, nasty grease-ball!!! sad.gif

#4 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

I've found that food with a lot of additives (like fast food) tends to make my skin worse. When I was eating meat, my family would make burgers at home using all fresh ingredients and even make our own fries and that seemed to be fine. If you want to know what's in that burger you are eating I highly recommend the book "Fast Food Nation"!! Forget about your skin...don't eat it for the rest of you either.

#5 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (acnehater @ Aug 25 2004, 07:46 AM)
While there is no scientific proof that a poor diet causes/exacerbates acne, I come from the school of thought that YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT.  Therefore, if you want to look (and smell) like a sloppy hamburger and a greasy french fry, go ahead and eat lots of nasty fast food!  However, in fairness to the main fast food chains, they are really starting to get with the program by adding a lot of "healthier" choices to their menu.  I rather like the new salads offered by McD's, Burger King, Wendy's, and Arby's.  But I definitely notice a difference in my skin (and overall well-being) when I have been eating a lot of the "bad" fast food on a regular basis.  Makes me feel like a big, fat, bloated, nasty grease-ball!!!  sad.gif

I think this health stint that mcd's is going on is crazy. When I go to McD's, I want the biggest, greasiest pile of junkfood money can buy. Supersized please.

Yeah, junk food has never had an effect on my skin

#6 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (evigrex @ Aug 25 2004, 07:59 PM)
I think this health stint that mcd's is going on is crazy.  When I go to McD's, I want the biggest, greasiest pile of junkfood money can buy.  Supersized please.

Yeah, me too. biggrin.gif I go to those places about once a month (not now, because I'm on a diet) and when I do, I want the biggest meal with the most fat and sugar in it. The problems starts when you do that kind of a thing every day.

#7 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

Argh...dieting sucks doesn't it. Actually, I think i'm going to McD's right now....my arteries are screaming in agony as I type....can't wait

#8 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

Diet has a role in acne, for everyone, not as much for some people as others. I noticed when I stopped eating McDonald's daily that my skin wouldn't be as shiney and greasy and I cleared up a little bit.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:00 PM

I think that the ultimate effect of fast foods on your skin is the excess production of oil. So if your pores aren't clogged you won't have a problem(this is just my experience).

#10 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:13 PM

then why does medicine like accutane clear up people who haven't changed ONE single part of their diet?

My cousin is a bit overweight and he was put on accutane about 6 weeks ago, and he is improving. about 6 times better than 6 weeks ago. And he hasn't changed a single thing in his diet.

bb_eusa_whistle.gif

#11 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

ummmmmm....because he's taking MEDICATION for it =P

Too bad that doesn't work for all of us.

#12 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:45 AM

I have a theory that high cholesterol and high saturated fat foods can exacerbate the inflammatory response in skin just as they can in the arteries.

I used to develop drug-coated stents for treatment of atherosclerosis (the stents are used to keep blocked arteries open and the drug coating is intended to leach out over time and treat the atherosclerosis). At the time, the theory was that, due to free radical damage, the cells on the surface of the blood vessels become "stickier" when you have a diet high in saturated fats (as you would in a fast food diet) and low in antioxidants (which would not be the case if you had a diet full of fresh fruits and veggies).

I notice that the skin on my face is very "sticky" (ie the cells don't slough off in a normal way, they form a greasy cheese like substance that clogs my pores) and so I have often wondered if a similar mechanism could be involved. I definitely notice that my skin becomes much much clearer when I stick to a low saturated fat diet with lots of fresh fruits, veggies and fish.

EDIT TO ADD: As for the question about how Accutane can work for people who don't change their diets -- well, obviously there is more than one way to crack a nut. I am fortunate in that my acne, although moderate to severe if left untreated (we're talking big purple cysts that cover my entire face and sometimes explode spontaneously), responds extremely well to all sorts of treatments. I first developed acne at the age of 11, and over the years I have tried:

1) Antibiotics: age 11 to age 23. Worked wonderfully well, but every time my dermatologist tried to wean me off of them, the acne came back as bad as ever

2) Diet: Age 23 to age 29. Worked wonderfully well -- about as well as the antibiotics. I discovered the diet in a book called "Acne Can be Cured" just as I was about to go back on antibiotics (my face was a mess, I had huge purple lesions all over it and it was painful to speak because a section near my mouth was solid with infection that couldn't be expelled). My skin went from that horrible state to nearly clear in about 3 weeks, using diet alone. I had to be a real diet nazi though and any slips resulted in a resrugence of the acne.

3) Antiandrogens: Age 29 to age 35. This worked the best of anything -- my skin was beautiful, nearly perfect! (not Dianette though, it didn't do anything -- I was taking some 100 mg of cyproterone acetate daily). After some years though I started to develop unpleasant side effects and so had to discontinue treatment.

4) Age 35 to present: After 6 years of being able to eat whatever I wanted while on antiandrogens (see above), I seem to have lost the willpower required to stick to the same diet I followed in my 20s -- I can be good about 80% of the time, but succumb to cheese and crisps and fatty foods every so often. My skin isn't great these days, very sluggish looking sad.gif I find that I can keep it looking OK-ish (ie free of major cysts) by following a regimen of: healthy diet with occasional slip ups and regular microdermabrasion.

So you see, just because you can treat things using lots of different methods doesn't mean that any one is invalidated.

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

Doberwoman,
Have you ever thought of using Spironolactone as your anti-androgen instead? Or are you now trying to take things that will hopefully help your actual condition instead of only treating the symptoms?

I can attest to the fact that while fried fats/trans fats do not have a huge impact on my acne production, they do increase my male-patterned hair growth and pore enlargement (via IGF-1 increase I guess), as well as my dandruff. When I stop, as I am at the moment, my pores shrink, my dandruff is 75% gone and some of the body hairs either fall out or stop growing.

There's definately something up with Cottonseed oil for some people too (inflammatory). This is also a new part of my test as I was consuming this from Lays Chips (hey they weren't hydrogenated). My skin is currently looking better than it has, so who knows maybe this affects me like it does a few others around here.

Take care

#14 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Aug 26 2004, 10:12 PM)
ummmmmm....because he's taking MEDICATION for it    =P

Too bad that doesn't work for all of us.

LOL i'm surprised you didn't mention DHT inhibition blink.gif

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

He he, evigrex... cool.gif

#16 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:45 PM

Hi SweetJade -- I have tried Spiro. My endocrinologist put me on that after I started having side effects from the cyp. acetate. It didn't seem to work very well at all (skin became greasier and facial hair started growing back). Finally I decided that I didn't want to keep pumping my body full of all these dubious pharmaceutical products for such a measly result, so I just gave up.

As I say, diet does seem to work well for me (not as well as the cyp. acetate, which was amazing, but hey ho).... as long as I can stick to it (and what did I have for dinner last night -- pizza! with largeish amounts of cheese! oh well...)

#17 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:05 AM

Try metformin. There are tons of studies showing that it can be helpful in both managing PCOS and lowering androgen levels.

Best of all, its cheap and pretty much free of side effects....

There is also actos and avandia - but they tend to cause weight gain,which is a concern for some folks.

#18 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 06:50 AM

evigrex, are you being ironic? I thought you were skeptical of metformin for PCOS?

Assuming your post is serious and you've somehow been converted to the benefits of metformin since the last time I saw you post, thanks, but I don't think it's the solution for me. I'm not insulin resistant and I don't have PCOS. But thanks anyway smile.gif

#19 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

Naw, seriously..

I think I was just arguing for the hell of it (I have a tendency to do that sometimes...just ask SJ) but I do know that metformin lowers androgen levels in everyone - both normal and insulin resistant people. So if your acne stems from anything hormonally related, it may be of help.