Photo

Digestion issues

vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b1 vitamin b12 probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Justwater

Justwater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

I am currently taking measures to fix my digestive system. I had a stool test a while back, and it said that I do not break down my foods properly. It also said that I do not have any good bacteria (I forget which strain it mentioned). I also have a deficiency in vitamin B12 and B2. After many years of taking antibiotics, I believe they destroyed my digestive system. I plan on taking a quality fiber supplement, a probiotic, and a digestive enzyme. I have a couple questions. Should I take a probiotic with multiple strains, or would a quality acidophilus supplement be good? Also, when should I take the digestive enzyme? It says with a meal...should I take it right before I start eating, while eating, or right after?

#2 wheezle

wheezle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

I don't really have enough knowledge or experience to answer your questions, so I'll just give you more to think about. I think a B-complex is a good idea if you're not taking one already, and I'd like to call into question the wisdom of taking a fiber supplement.

Good luck.

#3 Justwater

Justwater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

I am on a good quality B complex right now, but I would like to fix the problem instead of mask it. According to studies I have read online, B-12 and folic acid deficiencies are linked to lack of good bacteria and the inability to break down foods properly. The fiber supplement would be just an added bonus, the probiotic and digestive enzyme will be the most important supplements. Thank you for your response though.

#4 Gators_Fan

Gators_Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

I think a regular probiotic should do justice. Take it in the morning, keep it in the refrigerator, and take it consistently. I take this One a Day Probiotic every morning when I wake up.

I took antibiotics for a few months last year and I could tell my digestive system wasn't working properly. Probiotics have helped regularity. I would also recommend taking some Dandelion Root for a few weeks to cleanse your liver and intestines, then taking Milk Thistle after that to rebuild the cell walls inside your liver. These have all helped my acne immensely.

#5 Justwater

Justwater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am just a little scared to take a probiotic, I feel that in the past they have caused some cysts that I don't usually get. Roll Tide by the way smile.gif

#6 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

I am pretty sure that probiotics break me out. I have tried supplements, yogurt, probiotic drinks and sauerkraut. By far my worst breakouts were with sauerkraut, i made shed loads of the stuff and gave up finishing it all in the end. Yogurt was the second worst followed by the drinks and supplements. I think the supplements and drinks had the least affect on me.

Also they were the larger red spots, maybe cyst like, that i dont usually get and which stopped when i stopped the probiotics.

It is very annoying because i keep talking myself into probiotics and they never work but do the opposite.

I have digestive/GI [gastrointestinal tract] problems and i'm pretty sure they're connected to my spots but i wish i knew how. Maybe they're are just coincendental.

#7 Gators_Fan

Gators_Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

I'm not 100% sure about this but...

I've heard that if probiotics are causing symptoms to worsen (in this case, acne), you are likely suffering from Leaky gut syndrome. If you are certain probiotics are making things worse, you may want to look into that.

#8 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

There can be dairy or soy in certain probiotics so if you are super sensitive you may want to watch out for these brands. I would recommend a probiotic with a few different strands just to cover all your bases and also L-glutamine to repair your digestive lining. Take them both on an empty stomach. As for digestive enzymes I always take mine after the meal, after I judge whether I feel like I need it. The bottle says take them with the meal but I dont think it matters too much. If you really want to go all out Id also recommend avoiding gluten since its known to cause leaky gut, and I've never met a person who didn't feel better after stopping gluten. best of luck.

#9 Justwater

Justwater

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Riddled @ Apr 10 2011, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am pretty sure that probiotics break me out. I have tried supplements, yogurt, probiotic drinks and sauerkraut. By far my worst breakouts were with sauerkraut, i made shed loads of the stuff and gave up finishing it all in the end. Yogurt was the second worst followed by the drinks and supplements. I think the supplements and drinks had the least affect on me.

Also they were the larger red spots, maybe cyst like, that i dont usually get and which stopped when i stopped the probiotics.

It is very annoying because i keep talking myself into probiotics and they never work but do the opposite.

I have digestive/GI [gastrointestinal tract] problems and i'm pretty sure they're connected to my spots but i wish i knew how. Maybe they're are just coincendental.

Yeah I am in the same exact position you are in. I know that I have digestion issues, and I know I don't have enough good bacteria in my body, but then again probiotics always give me cysts.

Gators_Fan: I think I do have leaky gut, how do I cure it? Gluten free, alcohol free, sugar free diet? I don't want to go on a diet for years.

#10 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

I want to try to help.... gosh there is just so many of these posts though that at this point I'm thinking maybe I should just make my own post addressing everyone vs trying to give individual advice... but anyway.

First of all: Probiotics. I'd avoid loading up on any sort of probiotic until your gut is already on its way to being healed. Why? Well it's been my experience that if you have leaky gut, probiotics make things worse especially when it comes to acne. Every time I've taken any probiotic or eaten probiotic foods I've gotten an acne cyst. At least, I did before being on my gut healing diet and it makes sense, think about it. If your gut is filled with holes, and the problem is that what you ingest leaks through into your body causing an autoimmune reaction, then think what dumping a bunch of live bacteria in there does... it doesn't matter if it's "good" bacteria. It's leaking out into your body and your white blood cells don't know the difference and just start attacking everything. Your body becomes severely inflamed and the cysts you see are a result of this autoimmune reaction.

Second: The fiber supplement. DO NOT DO THIS. Seriously. Fiber supplements are the biggest load of you-know-what on the market. You DON'T need them and they WILL NOT help you. If anything they may make your gut inflammation WORSE. Please trust me on this. I suffered from gut problems for so long, including constipation and I was always drinking fiber drinks. I'm convinced that because of my leaky gut this irritated my system SO much and made everything worse. Not to mention that a lot of fiber supplements contain allergens, and many are made with psyllium husk which is a harsh scratchy fiber and can irritate already damaged gut lining.

YOU DO NOT NEED A FIBER SUPPLEMENT. I promise. If you feel like you need more fiber, PLEEEASE focus on fresh raw fruits, veggies and greens.

Third: The same goes for the digestive enzyme. This is not a good idea. Digestive enzymes come from our body and sometimes food and supplementing them can weaken our own natural production. With food, we can "trigger" our natural production and you do this through raw foods like pineapple, papaya, and fresh sprouts. It takes awhile, but this will balance your system. I used to be in misery for hours if I ate a serving of beans because my body just didn't make the enzymes and stomach acid to break them down. But after a long time of being on the mostly raw diet and eating the mentioned foods, my body now naturally makes enough stomach acid for me to eat cooked beans once in awhile without pain.

Think of it this way: If you supplement this enzyme, it's like giving your body a crutch to lean on. If you trigger more enzymes and stomach acid through your diet, it's like sending your body to physical therapy where it can learn to walk again on it's own.

Where do you want to be ten years from now? With weaker digestion than ever, relying on enzyme pills to even be able to digest a meal? Or with a healed stomach?

Lastly: Yes, you absolutely have leaky gut, based off what you've said combined with the fact that almost ALL severe acne cases are because of leaky gut and food allergies. And I'm sorry if you don't want to "go on a diet for years" but you are going to have to change your diet and lifestyle if you want to heal this. Leaky gut is serious and can lead to cancers down the road so I hope you are more willing than you seem to make changes now. I'm not trying to scare you, it just sucks knowing all I know and seeing people not too eager to change.

You CAN heal your leaky gut. You really can. But it takes dedication and effort. As far as the diet goes, you make it sound like a bad thing but I eat like a God. Huge salads every night, yummy raw fresh sauces and dressings, eggs and chicken for protein a few times a week, delicious steamed veggies and nutrient rich greens like collard, kale, etc.

You just have to get into a different mindset and discover that the diet you'd have to give up to heal really is worthless anyway. Who wants nasty processed breads and pastas when they could be eating fresh, living food?

Hope that helps.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (DejaClaireVoyant @ Apr 14 2011, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'with the fact that almost ALL severe acne cases are because of leaky gut and food allergies.

That's really not a fact. Many people have leaky gut/IBS or other digestion issues but not most. And there's no reason whatsoever to claim it's more involved in 'severe' acne vs moderate or mild acne. I had severe acne and I've never had any digestion issues whatsoever.

#12 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

You said that in the other thread and I was curious as to how you know that?

Because I would have said the same thing years ago. I thought that because I was going to the bathroom everyday that everything must be fine. It turned out my gut was full of holes and I was absorbing almost nothing. And that I was constipated. I still am working on that issue. You can be constipated and still moving your bowels daily.

But at the time I would have thought I was fine... digestive speaking anyway.

I'm only working with my own studies in this area, and I've found a strong connection, enough for me to feel comfortable using the word: most. But I'm interested in your theory regarding your own body... or if you've had some sort of testing or whatever to show you that your digestive track is 100% healthy... I realize that there are other factors such as blood sugar (mine was imbalanced for years) but as soon as I removed the toxic foods (grains, dairy, corn, soy) my blood sugar pretty much instantly balanced.

Have you seen the movie "Simply Raw"? It's a really good little documentary. They were able to cure all these diabetics in 30 days of raw food. It just shows how much all the blood sugar issues, diseases, and all these problems all go back to diet and gut health (I say gut health because if the diet isn't healthy, the gut is inflamed).

Anyway though, the OP said that probiotics made them worse, which to me suggests leaky gut in their case. Either that or an allergy to something in the probiotic itself, in which case, if there are allergies there are probably gut problems, they go together.

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

You want multiple strains. Different probiotics do different things for you. There's one that specifically helps heal intestinal hyperpermeability and you won't find it the average cheap brands.

And here's a list of Good Things for the Digestive System: http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2574119 There's plenty more you can do like eating plant foods high in mucilage which help restore the mucin lining in the digestive tract and elsewhere in the body. Getting the probiotic strain that specifically helps heal hyperpermeabilty, etc.

You might want to avoid anything difficult to digest like all seeds and dairy (which usually comes from animals fed seeds.) They are high in anti-nutrients, including some that specifically damage your digestive tract. When you add them in, be sure to prepare them properly as well as eat them with foods that minimize the harm from them. You'll find tons of info on that in the ZAG enzyme thread which you'll find in the link I gave you above.

Edited by alternativista, 22 April 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#14 Sito

Sito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (DejaClaireVoyant @ Apr 14 2011, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to try to help.... gosh there is just so many of these posts though that at this point I'm thinking maybe I should just make my own post addressing everyone vs trying to give individual advice... but anyway.

First of all: Probiotics. I'd avoid loading up on any sort of probiotic until your gut is already on its way to being healed. Why? Well it's been my experience that if you have leaky gut, probiotics make things worse especially when it comes to acne. Every time I've taken any probiotic or eaten probiotic foods I've gotten an acne cyst. At least, I did before being on my gut healing diet and it makes sense, think about it. If your gut is filled with holes, and the problem is that what you ingest leaks through into your body causing an autoimmune reaction, then think what dumping a bunch of live bacteria in there does... it doesn't matter if it's "good" bacteria. It's leaking out into your body and your white blood cells don't know the difference and just start attacking everything. Your body becomes severely inflamed and the cysts you see are a result of this autoimmune reaction.

Second: The fiber supplement. DO NOT DO THIS. Seriously. Fiber supplements are the biggest load of you-know-what on the market. You DON'T need them and they WILL NOT help you. If anything they may make your gut inflammation WORSE. Please trust me on this. I suffered from gut problems for so long, including constipation and I was always drinking fiber drinks. I'm convinced that because of my leaky gut this irritated my system SO much and made everything worse. Not to mention that a lot of fiber supplements contain allergens, and many are made with psyllium husk which is a harsh scratchy fiber and can irritate already damaged gut lining.

YOU DO NOT NEED A FIBER SUPPLEMENT. I promise. If you feel like you need more fiber, PLEEEASE focus on fresh raw fruits, veggies and greens.

Third: The same goes for the digestive enzyme. This is not a good idea. Digestive enzymes come from our body and sometimes food and supplementing them can weaken our own natural production. With food, we can "trigger" our natural production and you do this through raw foods like pineapple, papaya, and fresh sprouts. It takes awhile, but this will balance your system. I used to be in misery for hours if I ate a serving of beans because my body just didn't make the enzymes and stomach acid to break them down. But after a long time of being on the mostly raw diet and eating the mentioned foods, my body now naturally makes enough stomach acid for me to eat cooked beans once in awhile without pain.

Think of it this way: If you supplement this enzyme, it's like giving your body a crutch to lean on. If you trigger more enzymes and stomach acid through your diet, it's like sending your body to physical therapy where it can learn to walk again on it's own.

Where do you want to be ten years from now? With weaker digestion than ever, relying on enzyme pills to even be able to digest a meal? Or with a healed stomach?

Lastly: Yes, you absolutely have leaky gut, based off what you've said combined with the fact that almost ALL severe acne cases are because of leaky gut and food allergies. And I'm sorry if you don't want to "go on a diet for years" but you are going to have to change your diet and lifestyle if you want to heal this. Leaky gut is serious and can lead to cancers down the road so I hope you are more willing than you seem to make changes now. I'm not trying to scare you, it just sucks knowing all I know and seeing people not too eager to change.

You CAN heal your leaky gut. You really can. But it takes dedication and effort. As far as the diet goes, you make it sound like a bad thing but I eat like a God. Huge salads every night, yummy raw fresh sauces and dressings, eggs and chicken for protein a few times a week, delicious steamed veggies and nutrient rich greens like collard, kale, etc.

You just have to get into a different mindset and discover that the diet you'd have to give up to heal really is worthless anyway. Who wants nasty processed breads and pastas when they could be eating fresh, living food?

Hope that helps.

First off, HELP!

if you want.

it would be appreciated.

I'd pretty ignorant and lazy but i am WILLING to do whatever i have to in order to find my underlying cause of jawline cystic acne

I believe is has to do with DIGESTION.

Leaky gut?? im not exactly sure what that is, but from what you wrote in ^^^ this post then that could very possibly be my problem> HOW DO I FIND OUT FOR SURE THO? what tests if any?

also, what are probiotics and probiotic foods? these may caue cystic acne you say?

and i been looking to get a digestive enzyme to help with my digestion, but you've convinced me not to, instead i'ma do a pineappple fast for a couple of days.

So, SHOOT!

#15 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (DejaClaireVoyant @ Apr 16 2011, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I would have said the same thing years ago. I thought that because I was going to the bathroom everyday that everything must be fine. It turned out my gut was full of holes and I was absorbing almost nothing. And that I was constipated. I still am working on that issue. You can be constipated and still moving your bowels daily.

How do you know you're constipated when your bowels are moving regularly?

#16 Gators_Fan

Gators_Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

Here's a pretty useful supplement for digestion issues. Thisilyn Daily Cleanse

It's got 6 different fibers, Milk Thistle (good liver cleansing sup that can help acne), Dandelion (Similar to Milk Thistle but also helps digestion and regularity), and Tumeric (Very potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory, very helpful for acne).

I found it at the grocery store for cheaper than online too.

#17 vegangirl

vegangirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (jokerj @ Apr 20 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DejaClaireVoyant @ Apr 16 2011, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know you're constipated when your bowels are moving regularly?

Eat a food you wil be able to see in your stool. A few swigs of beet juice, eat carrots, or sweet potatoes because will show a distinct color. Or you can use the obvious one: corn. Corn is not always reliable because sometimes you will not be able to find any and then after a few days you start to panic. smile.gif

Deja made a very good point, your bowels may be moving, but you may not be assimilating the nutrients. smile.gif

#18 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Is Leaky Gut recognized as a genuine condition by the medical community now?

I only ask because when i have asked friends about it and candida before they have basically laughed in my face and just said it crack pot stuff from those "alternatives"

I have no opinion one way or the other. Sounds scary though.

What about another possible explanation being that some people have too much bacteria in their intestines, the wrong type in the wrong places and there is either a cause or effect relationship between them and certain food types. Certain things we eat are being malabsorbed and feeding the bacteria, this "overgrowth" of bacteria then interferes with the uptake of other nutrients leading to probelms. Also the bacteria's byproducts [when we have too many and/or they are out of balance] such as different gases like hydrogen etc, feed more dangerous bacteria such as H Pylori, which are causing the problems rather than leaky gut.

Might be another explanation to why probiotics cause people like me problems rather than it being leaky gut.
Maybe it is leaky gut, who knows, i just have a gut fealing it isn't in my case.

I think fibre is a problem for me because it is feeding the little blyeters just need to work out if its soluble/insoluble or maybe both. Maybe its something completly different.
Who knows. Not me.

#19 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Gators_Fan @ Apr 11 2011, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not 100% sure about this but...

I've heard that if probiotics are causing symptoms to worsen (in this case, acne), you are likely suffering from Leaky gut syndrome. If you are certain probiotics are making things worse, you may want to look into that.

Or your oversupplementating? Causing bacterial imbalances?

#20 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

I just started taking Metamucil capsules to get some extra fiber.