Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:50 PM

Hi all,

Based on a couple of helpful posters here (I think SweetJade was one) I adopted a very low carb, low sugar diet last fall and it did WONDERS for my skin. I was completely clear for 3 months. It has to have been the diet because I didn't change anything else about my routine, and I've suffered from acne for over 6 years (I'm 23).

But after about 3 months, it started coming back slowly. Even though I was still on the same diet. So then I got really frustrated and just went back to eating crap and my face looks terrible again.

For all those who have experimented with low carb diets, any idea what happened?? I've tried cutting back on the sugar (haven't been able to completely eliminate it) and its not helping anymore...I don't get what's going on. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Gypsy @ Aug 24 2004, 04:37 PM)

But after about 3 months, it started coming back slowly. Even
though I was still on the same diet. So then I got really frustrated and just went back to eating crap and my face looks terrible again.

For all those who have experimented with low carb diets, any idea what happened?? I've tried cutting back on the sugar (haven't been able to completely eliminate it) and its not helping anymore...I don't get what's going on. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!

I'm suffering from exactly the same thing right now. Completely changed my diet and everything, and followed it strictly for a good while, and it worked.

Now my face looks worse than it's done in months, all happening overnight. God knows what I've done or changed to cause this..? bb_icon_confused.gif

#3 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:50 PM

Do you think ur body goes through a delayed purging process?
I actually did that last year and changed my diet for four months- very strict no sugar and low carb- i cleared my skin by the fourth month. then i took a trip to italy and my diet flew out the window and it has been hard to get totally back since. i also had a big allergy attack in italy so my immune system was shot from bad hay fever. my acne has come back and i am now using topicals to help and trying to eat low sugar and low carb still.
I wonder why that happens- i wish i had stayed on longer and then i could help more

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

Hmm, you guys bring up something that I thought about a couple of months ago. The studies have shown that the Atkins diet works, but that within a year, it's no more effective than regular dieting on the amount of weight you lose. So that made me wonder, if the same could be true for those of us following these diets.

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question because aside from those usually selling "acne diet' books, I don't really know anyone on these boards that has followed these diets beyond 3 years. Those that clear up, usually leave and I never hear from them again, so I have no idea how they are doing now. Yet, I've run across people that have said that they altered their diet to lose weight several years back and noticed their skin cleared too and so they go back on that diet, only this time to improve their skin and it still works.

So one possible theory is that if this is more genetically induced for you, that over time you will have to think about doing excercise, supplementation, or perhaps healing your "leaky guty" and/ or improving your liver function, as Denise says that it will eventually catch up to you.

I can say that for me, what breakouts I have left are no longer scattered, but usually in the area that has to do with "overtaxing the liver"; middle of my eyebrow & forehead region. http://www.stretchma...en scarring.htm Now 2 years ago when I switched my diet, I had the area CLEAR, but not now. In fact its only been within the past 6 months or so that it has started to fluctuate in that area and so I'm experimenting again with my diet.

That's actually my other Theory here. That perhaps you are experiencing one of two possibilities:

A ) Additional Food Irritants in your regular diet - These are foods that you've always eaten, but now you may find that you are also sensitive too (hidden sensitivity?).

B ) NEW Food Irritants in your regular diet - These are foods that you rarely consumed or have just started to consume and are doing so on a regular basis.

LOL, this is where a Food Diary comes in very handy. For I was eating very differentaly 2 years ago, compared to how I eat now. I still avoid all the same things, but over time I discovered that Dairy was a problem, that several fruits are, and that most nuts are too. Not to mention the effect that fried/trans fats has on my skin and high fructose corn syrup.

The way I made some of these discoveries was that I started to increase my fruit and nut consumption. I started eating (more) fruits that I wasn't eating initially when I switched my diet. I started becoming a heavy nut & dried fruit consumer, which I never was before my diet change. Nuts were things I ate usually during the holidays, not almost daily

Of course I can add that I wasn't soaking my nuts before I ate them, so they still contained enzyme inhibitors, where as other members usually soaked their nuts, legumes, and grains before consuming. I can also say that for others, they DID have to do a liver cleanse and alter their diet, but were able to consume all the fruits, nuts, & legumes freely. So whether it's a a must to soak and/or to do the liver cleanse, I don't know, but it works for them ;-)

Finally, my other thoughts are that maybe it's a nutritonal or food balancing problem. That perhaps we aren't eating enough vegetables and so the meals are still high in the sugar aspect.

Or maybe we are getting foods that are contaminated with ingredients that you are avoiding? Uggh, I know I was eating foods that were contaminated for a period (don't let your family cook for you without a list of your food "no nos")

Or perhaps the quality of your foods or the purity of them have changed (organic, unrefined, imported, etc).

Those are some thoughts, any others? Perhaps we can do our own unofficial study wink.gif

#5 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

Hmmm...interesting responses. The delayed purging process is definitely interesting, could have to do with the liver.
When I first went on the diet I ate NO sugar, I was eating like a neanderthal...literally just some nuts, some spinach leaves with nothing on them, etc. Then as my face cleared up I gradually added some sugars (honey and some dairy). I guess I'll try the draconian version again and see if it works.

Based on what SweetJade said, either of those could be true. I've recently become vegetarian though so my diet has gone through a lot of change!!! It's going to be impossible to do an Atkins type of thing.
I'll try and eat less fruit (I eat tons) and try to focus more on the veggies...dairy doesn't seem to make any difference but I do eat a lot of berries and stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users