Photo

For those of you who are gluten-sensitive or Celiac....

vitamin vitamins vitamin d vitamin b vitamin b1 vitamin b12 gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

As I browse the Celiac Forums, I see that many, many individuals are NOT healing on a gluten-free diet. Leaky gut syndrome and allergies to dozens of other foods abound. Gluten-free Celiacs return 10 years later to say they can no longer eat rice or other "normal" foods.

Some facts:
-- The American Journal of Gastroenterology finds that more than 30% of patients with celiac disease following a gluten free (GF) diet fail to exhibit recovery of intestinal damage after 5 years on the medical necessary diet.

--Biopsies show that the intestinal lining of many Celiacs remains 'permanently inflamed' or damaged ten years after beginning a strict gluten-free diet.

--According to new studies, strict gluten-free Celiacs have a 3x higher rate of early death than non-Celiac individuals.

Keep in mind that the intestines are one of the fastest healing areas of our bodies. In the intestines, the average rate of cell turnover is 1 week. For severe injuries, such as puncture wounds to the intestines, the intestines can take two months to heal.

Obviously, there is something wrong with our present "gluten-free" diet.

Then I bumped into news articles about Dr. Osborne who advocate a completely grain-free diet for Celiacs. He also treats other auto-immune disorders with the same diet, such as lupus and hypothyroidism. He bases his belief on the fact that gluten is in all grains. This is contrary to the medical community's belief that Celiacs only react to the gliadin found in wheat, barley and rye.

Excerpt from a blog by a Celiac who was not healing and who decided to try Dr. Osborne's advice:

"My IGG level dropped from the 70's initially [after a gluten-free diet], but never got any lower than 33. My doctor suggested in 2005 that if the IGG level was still in the 30's after a couple years on the diet, it probably would not improve, and I most likely had some permanent damage from the disease that kept it still high. So I stopped testing at that point, deciding it was not worth the cost to track my progress. Out of curiosity, I decided to retest these antibodies again [after a grain-free diet] and to my amazement, my IGG level was at a 2, the lowest it has been since diagnosis and within normal range which is 0-19. This was exciting news.

Also, his absorption levels increased:
"Ferritin previously at 26 was now 73 (normal 10-291)
Vitamin B12 previously at 320 was now 451 (normal 211-911)
Vitamin D previously at 33.1 was now 39.2 (normal 4.8-52.8)"

"To me this is confirmation that Dr. Osborne and Elaine Gottschall were on the right track although years apart. So here I am on a grain-free diet hoping to share the wonderful information these two have given me with you."
Source: http://www.pdxgluten...ned-i-have.html

----
If it is true that many Celiacs are reacting to gluten and not gliadin, this means that many Celiacs will need to make sure their vitamins and supplements do not contain rice, corn and other inflammatory ingredients.

Dr. Osborne also says that grass-fed meat and dairy products are required as opposed to grain-fed.

Edited by Dotty1, 08 April 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#2 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

Also, here is Dr. Osborne's page. Scroll DOWN and watch the video:

http://www.glutenfre...ity-what-is-it/

Edited by Dotty1, 07 April 2011 - 02:35 PM.

#3 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hey there. I won't tell my entire story here but basically what happened for me is I found out I was celiac. Went gluten free over a long period of time (I was trying the whole time, but because I still ate out/ate processed food, I constantly was accidentally ingesting gluten from cross contamination or from hidden gluten in things), and had amazing healing. My skin cleared probably 80-90% from where it was. I was so happy.

But then, I began to notice other sensitivities. I had them the whole time, because my gut was SO severely damaged, but I just didn't notice them until going gluten free because I was SO sick before in so many ways, that it took some healing to even notice what individual foods did to me.

Over the next couple years I discovered I was ALSO reactive to dairy, soy and corn. Removing them I had a lot of other health improvements but I was still having "issues".

Why ? Because when the gut gets SO damaged it becomes sensitive to EVERYTHING. It sucks, and it is a VERY hard process to reverse. That's why so many celiacs are still inflamed years after going gluten free. Gluten free is just not enough.

So eventually I started reading stuff about the specific carb diet (I believe that's Elaine's program?) and it just made sense to me. Around the same time I began learning stuff about the RAW foods diet, and incidentally most stuff on the raw diet is okay for the gut healing regimen of the specific carb diet.

Both diets interested me so on the first day of this year I began a high raw version of the specific carb diet. No grains, not even rice. Everything raw except for some greens and veggies which I steam, and meat and eggs. My diet is now based around raw greens, raw fruits and vegetables, with the cooked stuff I mentioned being around 10% of my overall food.

The changes I've seen in the past four months have been amazing. My skin is 100% clear unless I go into some sort of detox from doing a cleanse and that "acne" is not the same as the horrible cystic acne I had most of my life from these food allergies.

Since staying on this diet I've also had more energy than I've EVER experienced in my life. Raw food is just amazing.

But even with the diet, I've found that my gut is still leaking and inflamed. I'm working on it every day and to be honest I'm doing other things to heal my gut which are not exactly conventional... I'm taking something called human growth hormone releasing peptide which can only be done by injection... This basically boosts levels of growth hormone in the body dramatically and raises levels of IG-F in the process (*the same stuff that some people take colostrum for, except when taken orally it doesn't do anywhere near as much). Ig-f is being proven to help heal intestines in people with gut disorders.

A lot of people, myself included in the past, seem to want to do everything the natural way, but honestly sometimes when you've had gut damage over 20 years of life from drugs, alcohol, gluten, other bad foods, stress, etc etc etc you really do need some sort of medication or supplement help ALONG with the perfect diet. I was offered this treatment multiple times and refused because it "wasn't natural" and I didn't trust it. I finally just decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. I'm not only clear skinned now but my skin is stronger and VERY young looking, I'm almost 30 and I look about 20, 21.... not to mention I'm super strong in my workouts and recovery time.

It's expensive and probably not very easy to get though, so there's that. But I just wanted to put that out there. It has helped me so much. I do believe I could get to the level of healing I'm at now eventually with just the super awesome diet, but this has given me that boost I needed to get out of that sinkhole downward spiral that is leaky gut.

#4 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

^^Raw diet FTW. I'll never go back to anything either. So many benefits. For me I still eat GF grains, but I soak everything. As well as some organic nuts and seeds. I feel the best I've ever felt in my life, so for me I will say eating the grains I do the way I do doesn't effect me.

Everything I eat though is alive, organic and fresh. When I read articles like Dotty's it always makes me think "how healthy are these people..really? Are they being truthful?" seems to me a lot of people have problems because they either don't have the correct diet or they don't follow it correctly.

After trying different diets I got some interesting results. When I was paleo, if I ate any fruit or nuts I would break out. I'd always wait and try again in 2-3 weeks but get the same results. When I tried vegan it seemed like my body was just not happy, not right. It wasn't until I went raw that I've really noticed a huge improvement in my overall body. Absolutely awesome. Now it's just a lot of leafy greens, fruits/veggies, one serving of grains, and some of my home made nut milks that I enjoy everyday.

#5 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Soaked\sprouted things are pretty much a totally different food than their original form. Now that I know all about this stuff it seems so crazy to me that I NEVER knew about sprouts for most of my life. Not only are they so healthy but so tasty too. One of my favorite thing is to make raw "taco" salad with sprouts, homemade salsa, avocado, homemade nut cheese, etc.

#6 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

well, not everyone needs to go this far dotty. When diagnosed with celiac you should start a normal gluten free diet. And then do check ups (so testing again) after a few months. If your diet is strict enough you will get a negative for celiac (no antibodies/imflammation etc any more). If your diet isnt you will get a positive for celiac and youll have to get stricter. Eventually you might have to eliminate all grains , all cross reactive foods, all contaminated foods, all "gluten-free" products that normally would contain gluten and maybe even additives. You just continue getting stricter untill you dont have antibodies any more.
After a long time on the good diet you could do a check up for your gut to see how its healing. A good healthy complete diet might promote the rate.

Edited by joris, 13 April 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#7 alicecooper

alicecooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (DejaClaireVoyant @ Apr 13 2011, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But even with the diet, I've found that my gut is still leaking and inflamed. I'm working on it every day and to be honest I'm doing other things to heal my gut which are not exactly conventional... I'm taking something called human growth hormone releasing peptide which can only be done by injection... This basically boosts levels of growth hormone in the body dramatically and raises levels of IG-F in the process (*the same stuff that some people take colostrum for, except when taken orally it doesn't do anywhere near as much). Ig-f is being proven to help heal intestines in people with gut disorders.

How did you go about getting HGH?
you say this treatment was"offered" to you, by who? a doctor?
do you have a legal prescription for HGH that you get from your local pharmacy?

thats hardcore man. if your lifting weights, you will be in beast mode in no time. just dont over do it. you dont want the dreaded "turtle tummy" look.

#8 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Well, I lift weights, but I am a girl. Trust me that taking the growth hormone peptides is NOT the same thing as taking steroids the way bodybuilders do. Yes, people do use them along with weight training/steroids as they decrease recovery time and just help your body be "younger" overall, but they don't do anything to change your hormone levels or "bulk you up" at all. I am a very petite, strong but feminine chica. A person might gain a bit of weight and bulk on them just because they increase appetite and intestinal absorption, though, so there's that.

No it is not a prescription and I do not have a doctor. I gave up on doctors years ago when they told me that I would "always have skin disease" and that "there is no cure for acne" and that "acne and diet are not related" and many other idiotic statements.

I get them through my boyfriend who has a source online, I don't know exactly where he gets it. He was the one who offered them to me. He's an athlete who has been studying supplements and performance enhancing drugs and what not for years. He knew a man who had very bad leaky gut and autoimmune disease who was able to completely reverse his disorder by taking the peptides, so he thought that maybe it could help me, and it has.

smile.gif