Photo

Dramatic Improvement for My Oily Skin!

makeup oily skin

This topic is in the process of being archived.
20 replies to this topic

#1 AutreMonde

AutreMonde

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Salut,
Allow me to explain what has improved my skin...
(Keep in mind that these were solutions for my skin, and that we all have a different skin type.)I've struggled with oily skin for some time and tried masking it with different sorts of makeups, oil-absorbing lotions, among other things. Many have left me unhappy in the end and the claims have failed me.

-MAKEUP
. Oil absorbing makeups and 'Matte' formulas have done nothing for me. Some have made my skin worse. I'll put on primers, foundations, and powders in the morning and be shiny by the middle of my 1st period of class. Touching up is a hassle and I'm just oily again by the middle of the day. I've tried wearing little makeup at all, and this did nothing for me.
**SOLUTION: I'm not wearing makeup at all on my skin. Though my acne was borderline severe, I had to endure for a little bit to get the results I was looking for. If I AM wearing makeup, I actually go for liquid foundations that AREN'T matte or labeled oil-absorbing. I've stopped using liquid foundation all together and my skin (and acne) has improved. But I sometimes used Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Foundation. However, I tend to use matte for some powders, like Maybelline's SHINEFREE loose powder. All of these are oil free and non-comedogenic.

-MOISTURIZERS.
I've used products 'specially designed for combonation skin' that claim to absorb and prevent oil from forming. This has only made my skin more DRY, which is unbearable. Dry skin only makes my oil production more active, because it's craving that hydration.
**SOLUTION: I avoid these brands. Don't avoid a moisturizer just because you have oily skin! Moisturizers for sensitive skin keep me soft and supple (or as soft as you can get with acne...) like Neutrogena for Sensitive skin and CeraVe is my personal, and affordable, favorite. Neither of which contain oil or clog pores!

-OTHER. I've used primers (Like Smashbox:both expensive and inaffective) designed for oily skin, skin-conditioning agents used for oil control(I.E. Proactiv Daily Oil Control), among other things. These might help a little, but not only are the time consuming, but that's just one more thing to apply, to buy, and to fit into your routine.
**SOLUTION. Keep it simple. I've stopped using oil controls and special primers. BUT I am wearing a primer (Covergirl and OLAY Simply Ageless Primer Syrum. I'm only 17 and this works for me)for when I wear powder. It gives the makeup something to cling to and prevents some oxidation, dryness, and oiliness.

**SO WHAT HAS AIDED MY OILY SKIN MOST DRAMATICALLY?**

-JOJOBA OIL. (Please see here for more info. I'm not a doctor, but I sure do enjoy the effects of this stuff: http://www.acne.org/jojoba-oil.php )What? Applying oil to an oily face?! Sounds crazy, but this stuff doesn't clog pores. It's actually a wax that's similar to the oil on your face. SO, "in theory", It tricks your skin into thinking that the jojoba is your sebaceous oil (so I've heard). Jojoba Oil is silky and when added to a lotion, creates a 'super moisturizer'. It's odor-less and reduces flakiness too! I've started using this a week ago (I checked out Dan Kern's regimen) and have seen nothing but improvement. I started using a couple drops at night to adapt my skin, and am now using it in the morning. During the day, I'm half as shiny as I was, and my acne has actually cleared up a lot too!
I bought it at a health foods store for $10, and the shelf life is like a like time. surprised.gif

Edited by AutreMonde, 06 April 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#2 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (AutreMonde @ Apr 5 2011, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-JOJOBA OIL. What? Applying oil to an oily face?! Sounds crazy, but this stuff doesn't clog pores. It's actually a wax that's similar to the oil on your face. SO, in theory, It tricks your skin into thinking that the jojoba is your sebaceous oil.

There isn't the slightest bit of scientific evidence that putting jojoba oil on your skin "tricks" it into thinking anything at all. Jojoba oil may act as a reasonably effective moisturizer on your skin, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to have any effect at all on sebum production.

#3 AutreMonde

AutreMonde

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (bryan @ Apr 6 2011, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AutreMonde @ Apr 5 2011, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-JOJOBA OIL. What? Applying oil to an oily face?! Sounds crazy, but this stuff doesn't clog pores. It's actually a wax that's similar to the oil on your face. SO, in theory, It tricks your skin into thinking that the jojoba is your sebaceous oil.

There isn't the slightest bit of scientific evidence that putting jojoba oil on your skin "tricks" it into thinking anything at all. Jojoba oil may act as a reasonably effective moisturizer on your skin, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to have any effect at all on sebum production.

Sure this may be. Hence the "in theory". Whatever the "scientific evidence", I can't deny whats working. That's just what I read on this website. And hey, it seems to have done SOMETHING for my skin, so I'm sticking to it. I'm not a doctor, obviously, but I've seen a significant reduction of oil. But again, thats just me, period smile.gif

#4 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

It's hard for me to believe, or even imagine, that you've seen a reduction in oil by putting oil on your skin! smile.gif If you want to test that claim more scientifically and believably, I suggest using Sebutape Skin Indicators. Those will give you an accurate and scientific indication of sebum output, and won't be affected by certain measurement problems that could possibly confuse or confound this issue.

#5 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

You can't deny her personal experience simply because she's not performing scientific experiments. This is a forum of normal people, sharing their own tips and tricks. Only a handful of qualified professionals circulate the board. I suggest you go pick on them instead.

#6 throughbeingcool

throughbeingcool

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Yep, jojoba oil has helped me in the oily skin department as well. I'm too nervous to ever go back to using an "actual, store-bought" moisturizer!

#7 betsy91

betsy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

How many drops do you guys use? When I try it I sort of break out? But then I hear it makes you purge but some people say if you use too much it's bad. I've heard its best to mix it with a moisturizer?

#8 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Using too much of any moisturizer can be "smothering," you could say, in the same way too much natural oil isn't a good thing. The idea is to apply just enough oil to keep the skin moisturized while still allowing the skin to breath.

Jojoba oil doesn't spread too easily, in my opinion. It sits on the skin for me. When I used it I liked to add it to another moisturizer. You could try adding 2-3 drops to a dime of moisturizer and massage thoroughly into the skin, until it feels absorbed. If you feel greasy, you're using too much.

Edited by Vanbelle, 14 November 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#9 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

You can't deny her personal experience simply because she's not performing scientific experiments. This is a forum of normal people, sharing their own tips and tricks. Only a handful of qualified professionals circulate the board. I suggest you go pick on them instead.

I don't think Bryan has a problem with her sharing her personal experiences. I think he has a problem with her trying to validate those claims with a "theory" that is completely false. Perpetuating a false "theory" will hurt people in the long run, and waste their time while trying to find a real solution. If Jojoba oil really does something positive with regards to oily skin individuals, great! But trying to explain that benefit with untested psuedo-scientific claims is only perpetuating ignorance amongst acne sufferers that are trying to find a real solution.

As for my personal experience with Jojoba oil, I hated it. It did nothing for my oily skin. In fact it made it worse.

#10 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I don't think Bryan has a problem with her sharing her personal experiences. I think he has a problem with her trying to validate those claims with a "theory" that is completely false. Perpetuating a false "theory" will hurt people in the long run, and waste their time while trying to find a real solution. If Jojoba oil really does something positive with regards to oily skin individuals, great! But trying to explain that benefit with untested psuedo-scientific claims is only perpetuating ignorance amongst acne sufferers that are trying to find a real solution.

As for my personal experience with Jojoba oil, I hated it. It did nothing for my oily skin. In fact it made it worse.

Personally, jojoba oil didn't do much for me either. I just take issue with the overall tone. I think you can see where I'm coming from.

#11 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Jojoba oil FTW.

#12 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

You're exactly correct, and thanks for explaining all of it so beautifully! Posted Image

#13 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

You're exactly correct, and thanks for explaining all of it so beautifully! Posted Image

Falsehoods and pseudo-science aside, let's agree to be a little nicer about this issue? While the topic of external sebum regulation may be heated, it doesn't mean we should approach damn near internet trolling.

A mod might take this down, but I'll still say it: bryan, we're supposed to help the members of this large community, not try to make them feel inferior/stupid. Personally, I didn't read your articles or review your cited research until I could get past the arrogance. You have valuable information and I'd hate to see others turn away from the rude tone, like I initially did.

I'm not trying to offend you, but rather help you so you might reach a wider audience.

1/2th the people who'll read this will understand what I'm saying. I've said my piece.

#14 Ilovemesomevanity

Ilovemesomevanity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

-JOJOBA OIL. (Please see here for more info. I'm not a doctor, but I sure do enjoy the effects of this stuff: http://www.acne.org/jojoba-oil.php )What? Applying oil to an oily face?! Sounds crazy, but this stuff doesn't clog pores. It's actually a wax that's similar to the oil on your face. SO, "in theory", It tricks your skin into thinking that the jojoba is your sebaceous oil (so I've heard). Jojoba Oil is silky and when added to a lotion, creates a 'super moisturizer'. It's odor-less and reduces flakiness too! I've started using this a week ago (I checked out Dan Kern's regimen) and have seen nothing but improvement. I started using a couple drops at night to adapt my skin, and am now using it in the morning. During the day, I'm half as shiny as I was, and my acne has actually cleared up a lot too!
I bought it at a health foods store for $10, and the shelf life is like a like time. Posted Image

do you massage the jojoba oil onto your face? i use dan's moisturizer (which has jojoba oil in it) and i kind of half massage, half spread it around on my face, but it just sits there the whole day. that plus my skins normal oil production... Posted Image

edit: lol i just realized how long ago this topic was started. oops

Edited by Ilovemesomevanity, 17 November 2011 - 12:51 AM.

#15 AutreMonde

AutreMonde

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

How many drops do you guys use? When I try it I sort of break out? But then I hear it makes you purge but some people say if you use too much it's bad. I've heard its best to mix it with a moisturizer?

I heard some people are allergic to Jojoba Oil, I'd move slowly and not try to jump into using it completely. My bottle doesnt have a dropper so I just stick my finger in a little and mix it with my moisturizer, I do this twice a day after cleansing and acne treatment. Keep in mind Jojoba Oil doesnt work for everyone, but give your skin a chance to adjust if the sideaffects aren't too bothersome.

I bought it at a health foods store for $10, and the shelf life is like a like time. Posted Image

do you massage the jojoba oil onto your face? i use dan's moisturizer (which has jojoba oil in it) and i kind of half massage, half spread it around on my face, but it just sits there the whole day. that plus my skins normal oil production... Posted Image

edit: lol i just realized how long ago this topic was started. oops

FOr me, it was how severe my acne was. When I first started using Jojoba, I had to barely massage my face becasue it was so sensitive. Now that my skin is cleared, I massage it completely in without thinking about it. Perhaps take some more time to gently massage it more into your skin???

Salut,
thank you for reading and expressing your opinions on my Topic.
I fully realize that Jojoba Oil works differently for everyone. I also know nothing of the 'scientific properties' of the stuff, only that it worked for my skin in the long run. My only intention of this topic was to share my success with the product and how happy I was with using it, nothing more. SOme it works, some t doesn't, end of story.
Let's agree to disagree and move on :)
Thank you again for your time on this post!

#16 throughbeingcool

throughbeingcool

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think jojoba works best if it's 100% organic. I went the cheaper route once and bought a non-organic (NOW brand) oil and it did NOTHING for my skin! I just didn't like putting it on every day. Now that I'm back to organic, I can really tell the difference. It soaks into my skin so much better and helps to keep things calm, whereas the non-organic might have caused some irritation.

#17 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

I think jojoba works best if it's 100% organic. I went the cheaper route once and bought a non-organic (NOW brand) oil and it did NOTHING for my skin! I just didn't like putting it on every day. Now that I'm back to organic, I can really tell the difference. It soaks into my skin so much better and helps to keep things calm, whereas the non-organic might have caused some irritation.

Second. Only Dan's jojoba I've had success with. I bought some random jojoba oil at Whole Foods and it smelled like...like dog food or something. Just gross.

#18 miafrieda

miafrieda

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (AutreMonde @ Apr 5 2011, 11:08 PM)

It's hard for me to believe, or even imagine, that you've seen a reduction in oil by putting oil on your skin! Posted Image If you want to test that claim more scientifically and believably, I suggest using Sebutape Skin Indicators. Those will give you an accurate and scientific indication of sebum output, and won't be affected by certain measurement problems that could possibly confuse or confound this issue.

Bryan, seems like you're not exactly a scientist, dermatologist, skin expert or anything similar, you just believe the "science" junk cosmetic companies tell you. Might not be scientific evidence that jojoba oil tricks the skin but guess what? Oils do promote an improvement on oil production.

When you're starving your skin with oil-free stuff and over-drying it, your skin actually reacts by producing more oil. That happened to me when I used to use foaming cleansers like Cetaphil and not moisturizing afterwards. My skin felt dry and tight and after a couple of hours, excessively oily in the t-zone area.

Most oils won't cause problems to the skin because are skin-identical ingredients, all kind of oils, most contain certain fatty acids that your body already has, like oleic acid. The diffence between people that had luck with oils and had no luck is, obviously, the quality of the oil, and the composition of the sebum of such person. Oleic acid is a fatty acid that is already present on the body, high concentrations of oleic acid in the body make the sebum hard and pore-clogging. Even, the oils rich in oleic acid are meant to be highly moisturizing oils for dry skin. Jojoba oil is not just a plant wax (not an oil) but also contains around 17% oleic acid, mixing jojoba wax with oleic-rich sebum can cause problems.

On the other hand, people that are aware of processed foods high in fats and sugars (though hard, waxy sebum and its opposite can be just genetic too), mostly the people that base their diets in only water, fruits and vegetables can benefit from jojoba oil, because moisturizing the skin traps critical moisture into the skin cells preventing dehydration and achieving an overall balance.

As I said, oils can balance oil production, you're quenching your skin from the outside with ingredients that aren't foreign to it, and then, it starts to behave calm because doesn't need to work hard to balance itself or defend itself from foreign agents like silicones or mineral oil, you just need to choose the right oil. I personally like grapeseed oil or watermelon seed oil, always organic.

Do a little more research or go back to college.

Edited by miafrieda, 04 March 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#19 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Bryan, seems like you're not exactly a scientist, dermatologist, skin expert or anything similar, you just believe the "science" junk cosmetic companies tell you.

I'm not a scientist, dermatologist, or skin expert, but I read plenty of world-famous people who ARE the aforementioned scientists, dermatologists, and skin experts. I repeat what THEY say, not what posters on acne sites like this say. Neither do I necessarily believe what "junk" cosmetics companies tell me.

Might not be scientific evidence that jojoba oil tricks the skin but guess what? Oils do promote an improvement on oil production.

Really? Then PROVE it to me, by using Sebutape Skin Indicators.

When you're starving your skin with oil-free stuff and over-drying it, your skin actually reacts by producing more oil. That happened to me when I used to use foaming cleansers like Cetaphil and not moisturizing afterwards. My skin felt dry and tight and after a couple of hours, excessively oily in the t-zone area.

Some people are fond of making such claims, and I'll tell you the same thing I always tell them: PROVE IT, by using Sebutape Skin Indicators.

#20 princessdaphne

princessdaphne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

-MAKEUP. Oil absorbing makeups and 'Matte' formulas have done nothing for me. Some have made my skin worse. I'll put on primers, foundations, and powders in the morning and be shiny by the middle of my 1st period of class. Touching up is a hassle and I'm just oily again by the middle of the day. I've tried wearing little makeup at all, and this did nothing for me.
**SOLUTION: I'm not wearing makeup at all on my skin. Though my acne was borderline severe, I had to endure for a little bit to get the results I was looking for. If I AM wearing makeup, I actually go for liquid foundations that AREN'T matte or labeled oil-absorbing. I've stopped using liquid foundation all together and my skin (and acne) has improved. But I sometimes used Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Foundation. However, I tend to use matte for some powders, like Maybelline's SHINEFREE loose powder. All of these are oil free and non-comedogenic.

No makeup helps me too! Also, here's what I've found with powder (for me at least):

If I put powder on in the morning (7:30ish), my face gets oily around 11.
If I don't put on powder in the morning and just wear nothing, my skin gets oily around 12:30.
As for my solution to this problem (because either way my skin gets oily during school) is to not apply powder at all until lunch time, and this way it's okay from the morning until lunch, and then from lunch until the end of the day, it's still okay! :) When I get home from school, I wash it off.