dermabrasion chemical peel phenol

4 replies to this topic

#1 california_dreamer

california_dreamer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

i'm so stupid, i didn't use retin-A 6 weeks prior, and i'm having my chemical (hetter/phenol) peel/dermabrasion tomorrow! sad.gif i want to kick myself in the head. the doctor didn't discuss it with me or give me a prescription so i didn't think that i needed it... but after i read through my 'instructions' today, it said that i was supposed to have started using it weeks ago.

do you guys think i'll be ok? will i heal alright?

#2 raiderdood

raiderdood

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

I've never had a hetter/phenol peel before so I can't speak from experience but, I think you'll be fine. I know some people have said using retin-a AFTER a peel can make the results better. However, I also know retin-a is used prior to procedures to kind of prep the skin for less pigmentation complications. If you are fair skinned it shouldn't matter.

If the doctor didn't give it to you, then you probably don't need it. Don't worry about the instructions so much as they are usually just templates. I am 100% sure you will heal fine.

#3 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (california_dreamer @ Mar 30 2011, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm so stupid, i didn't use retin-A 6 weeks prior, and i'm having my chemical (hetter/phenol) peel/dermabrasion tomorrow! sad.gif i want to kick myself in the head. the doctor didn't discuss it with me or give me a prescription so i didn't think that i needed it... but after i read through my 'instructions' today, it said that i was supposed to have started using it weeks ago.

do you guys think i'll be ok? will i heal alright?

You don't need to use Retin-A before a phenol peel, especially if have fitzpatric type 1-2 skin.

Retin-A is a prep, usually used with hydroquinone to prep darker skinned people from developing hyperpigmentation from procedures.

The worry with phenol really isn't hyperpigmentation anyway, its HYPOpigmentation.
Do you know what you are getting yourself into?

Is your doctor using a buffered phenol to prevent hypOpigmentation?

You know getting a traditional phenol peel in almost 100 percent of the time leads to hypopigmentation right?

Did you do all your homework? doesn't sound like it, you should consider cancelling the appointment tomorrow, like seriously no joke. Better to be safe then have your melanocytes killed off for LIFE. It is permanent.
SanJoseSkin

#4 california_dreamer

california_dreamer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

thanks for the reassurance. and yes, i have extremely fair skin... ("ivory 1" foundation looks orange on me.) fuck yeah i'm fair. and i hate being in the sun, so... win.

#5 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (california_dreamer @ Mar 30 2011, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the reassurance. and yes, i have extremely fair skin... ("ivory 1" foundation looks orange on me.) fuck yeah i'm fair. and i hate being in the sun, so... win.

Ok, did you read the part about the almost 100% chance that phenol will cause Michael Jackson type hypopigmentation, unless the phenol is buffered solution like exoderm.

Even if you are fair skin, you run the risk of looking crayon white with a clear demarcation line at your neck/jaw line.

Doesn't sount like you've done your homework.

I wish you luck, hope all goes well today.
SanJoseSkin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users