Photo

Ketosis and Fasting / Starvation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Oh my, how abrasive. eusa_hand.gif

#22 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

You are right for once, lol.

#23 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

I am confused.

So is it the paleo diet that clears you (paleo can be high carb though)... or is it a low carb diet (but you can eat more food groups).. or is it a grain free diet.

sighh

#24 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

I am confused.

So is it the paleo diet that clears you (paleo can be high carb though)... or is it a low carb diet (but you can eat more food groups).. or is it a grain free diet.

sighh

Best advice i can give is to no subscribe to any "diet" for any reason.

What works for one doesn't mean it will work for all.

There as been atkins, keto, paleo, weight watchers, slim fast, soup diets, cabbage diets and so on.

I stuck to a balanced diet suited to my body type. All the while, everyone around were trying these diets and they all failed. Then they ask me what is my secret. Secret is i don't go on diets i changed my life style.

Diets don't work FOR ANYTHING!

#25 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Interesting. Thanks

#26 jarrit

jarrit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

I am confused.

sighh

There as been atkins, keto, paleo, weight watchers, slim fast, soup diets, cabbage diets and so on.

I stuck to a balanced diet suited to my body type. All the while, everyone around were trying these diets and they all failed. Then they ask me what is my secret. Secret is i don't go on diets i changed my life style.

This could not be further from the truth.

Diets change everything. Nothing is better for acne than diet. You are what you eat.

I'm keto with a bunch of kale and good fats and proteins. I was 95% clear before this. Now I'm 100% clear. 100%.

It took 2 weeks for the changes to occur for me. The last week, I lost 5 pounds of water weight and my lymph node swelling went down entirely, so naturally, the cysts stopped.

It boggles my mind that people cannot see the acne-diet connection.

Do you think you can put a bunch of water and crap into your gas tank and make your car run?

Can your car's engine run properly on used up oil?

Your body is far more complex than a car is. Just look at the skeletal system, muscular system, nervous system, the brain, the endocrine system (likely the beginning of our troubles). All of these are meshed together with our skin. The performance of each system depends on each other.

Thiamin is necessary to repair nerve damage. Kale is a natural source of thiamin. By repairing your nerves and blood vessels, you're taking the first step towards fixing the rest of the machine. Fix the pipes, the nutrient delivery system, making sure there's no leakage, which will cause inflammation and toxins to spread throughout the body.

The nerves send out electrical signals all throughout the body, but can become damaged over time through drug use, poor diet, stress, and other things. If your nerves are going haywire, how can your skin even function properly?

Input = Output

Acne can be an issue that builds up over time, because your body has become tired of compensating for bad dietary choices, and bad cholesterol causing inflammation.

We need GOOD cholesterol to heal our blood vessels. Not processed, synthesized crap.

Everyone go check out FATHEAD on hulu.

Edited by jarrit, 09 November 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#27 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

I am confused.

sighh

This could not be further from the truth.

Diets change everything. Nothing is better for acne than diet. You are what you eat.

I'm keto with a bunch of kale and good fats and proteins. I was 95% clear before this. Now I'm 100% clear. 100%.

It took 2 weeks for the changes to occur for me. The last week, I lost 5 pounds of water weight and my lymph node swelling went down entirely, so naturally, the cysts stopped.

It boggles my mind that people cannot see the acne-diet connection.

Do you think you can put a bunch of water and crap into your gas tank and make your car run?

Can your car's engine run properly on used up oil?

Your body is far more complex than a car is. Just look at the skeletal system, muscular system, nervous system, the brain, the endocrine system (likely the beginning of our troubles). All of these are meshed together with our skin. The performance of each system depends on each other.

Thiamin is necessary to repair nerve damage. Kale is a natural source of thiamin. By repairing your nerves and blood vessels, you're taking the first step towards fixing the rest of the machine. Fix the pipes, the nutrient delivery system, making sure there's no leakage, which will cause inflammation and toxins to spread throughout the body.

The nerves send out electrical signals all throughout the body, but can become damaged over time through drug use, poor diet, stress, and other things. If your nerves are going haywire, how can your skin even function properly?

Input = Output

Acne can be an issue that builds up over time, because your body has become tired of compensating for bad dietary choices, and bad cholesterol causing inflammation.

We need GOOD cholesterol to heal our blood vessels. Not processed, synthesized crap.

Everyone go check out FATHEAD on hulu.

While you have valid points according to whom about the acne diet connection? Where are the studies that conclusively (not just suggest or may cause) prove acne is directly linked do diet. While i agree there are benefits to help improving acne through diet its not a cure or a full method of control for every single acne sufferer

When i say diet i mean generic diets. It's just isn't a one glove fits all situation. My nutritional intake is unique to me in what i eat, how much i eat and i eat it. It works for me and doubtful it would work as well for anyone else.

It's life style that changes things and diet is just one part of that.

Nutrition has to be adaptive not just one set of doctrines. Fact we do not have all the facts or know all there is to know, to just dismiss something is short sighted.

Edited by TakeToTheSkies, 09 November 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#28 jarrit

jarrit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Nutrition has to be adaptive not just one set of doctrines.

I agree that nutrition must be adaptive, but I disagree that the underlying theory behind nutrition cannot be a common ground which applies to everyone. Everyone is human and needs the same types of nutrients to rebuild certain things like nerves, skin, hair, etc.

Here are some things that apply to everyone :

- Diet can decrease inflammation, which will decrease acne.
- Diet can heal the nervous system by providing it with more nutrients. Imagine if even one circuit in your computer is no longer functional.
- Diet will provide all of the necessary micronutrients, and macronutrients to give your body what it needs to do its job. to understand this is to understand why we eat, and furthermore, how the human body functions with and interprets various foods and outside input through the stomach.
- People who cannot handle sugar or carbohydrates very well (due to a lifetime of over-consumption, forming chronic degenerative disease that is so subtle and largely undetectable. Acne is a glimpse into the world inside), will benefit from a restricted carb diet without sugar (refined or not)

Consider that if you are spiking your blood sugar up to insanely high levels by eating too many carbs - your body might be able to handle it for a while, but eventually you will get sores inside the body, and outside.

Fact we do not have all the facts or know all there is to know, to just dismiss something is short sighted.

It's also very short sighted to dismiss the prospect that diet just might be the cure for many people. Do you know why so many people hold onto the belief that there is no correlation between diet and acne? Because the medical industry (including dermatology) has deemed there to be no connection. We see the same old idiotic crap being regurgitated :

- Don't eat chocolate (wtf?)
- Wash your face with salicylic acid etc. etc.
- Use a toner
- Exfoliate
- Diet and acne are not related

Can you honestly look someone in the face and tell them the last one is ultimately true? We take pills that cure acne that in turn ravage the stomach, body, and immune system, and causes birth defects. Pills are part of someone's diet - which entails anything you put in your stomach.

We have plenty of facts about nutrition. It's just that many people tend to jump to conclusions before doing proper research. There is a lot of information out there which will correlate acne with diet :

- acne & inflammation
- acne & ketosis
- acne & IGF1

I completely agree that diet is not a 100% cure-all for everyone, but to the active and healthy individual, it just might be all that they really need.

If you want to talk about something that is highly theoretical and a shot in the dark for healing acne, consider "nasal breathing." If you always breathe through your nose, then this does not apply to you. But if you ever catch yourself with your mouth open, breathing through the mouth, consider that you will now have an overproduction of mucous, and less oxygen in your bloodstream. Is there an acne correlation? Possibly, but as you said, everything counts towards the whole, and a lifestyle change is the ultimate goal.

To conclude, I also do not believe that diet is the 100% cure-all for everyone, and never mentioned otherwise.

To illustrate this point, we can envision a younger person who loves to drink, do drugs, and eat poorly who does have bad acne, will need to do more than just change their diet. However, diet will make this person much more resilient to their poor lifestyle, and drastically improve their acne.

Edited by jarrit, 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#29 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Eh- I think I remember reading that a state of ketosis is quite bad for the kidneys and liver especially for lengthy periods of time. I myself have been on it, and while I lost weight, I felt horrible (I think my skin was bad too). Anyways, my point is that for normal people diets like this would probably be fine, but my theory is that acne sufferers (or many of them) have weak livers or kidneys (they filter toxins), so I wouldn't risk it.

#30 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I have to bring out that our medical industry really dismiss the truth. They don't know everything, they make studies upon the tests they make and what they see, but not everything that's functioning in the body can be noticed through science at the moment.
We don't have much knowledge on our DNA either, we are quite new to all this. We do know what they are, different amino acids of nucleic acids, combination which forms different variations of protein... and such but we are far from knowing the truth of our bodies.

Not much studies are funded by the government. Acne would be considered minor and companies would care more about their profit.

If we are going to just wait for studies, and going to base our life on studies, we can wait our entire lifetime and die just waiting for a study to make a proof.
Not to mention how some studies are false and misinformed. Milk being good for your bones? they dismissed the part of the acidic protein that absorbs calcium from your bone deposits.

Cancer, obesity and most severe diseases nowadays are all related to what we eat.
Our bodies are best fit to work under our appropriate natural lifestyle, not the modern lifestyle. Stressful, crappy diet, exposure to minor radioactive waves... it goes on.

There are many studies on diet and acne.
Most are related to sugar and milk consumption.

Given and provided with the proper diet and lifestyle, our body would function at its best with no case of diseases, and age long. Cancer may even appear non existent with a good immune system and low levels of cellular damage from too much consumption of sugar, milk and grains.

#31 jarrit

jarrit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

Eh- I think I remember reading that a state of ketosis is quite bad for the kidneys and liver especially for lengthy periods of time. I myself have been on it, and while I lost weight, I felt horrible (I think my skin was bad too). Anyways, my point is that for normal people diets like this would probably be fine, but my theory is that acne sufferers (or many of them) have weak livers or kidneys (they filter toxins), so I wouldn't risk it.

What was your diet like on ketosis? I personally don't like the term. I suppose I should have said "low-carb". As people are unique, a low-carb diet may not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot.

The only reason I ended up throwing that term around in my own world of healing, is that the foods I began to eat were ironically low in carbs. I suspected it was my lymph nodes that were causing swelling and cysts, and so I just went for it.

I have a friend who is trying to lose weight through ketosis, so the word is now swirling around in my vocabulary. I still eat around 50-100g of carbs a day. If I were to consume more, I'd do it in small amounts.

I suspect a lot of acne sufferers have trouble regulating their blood sugar because they've already consumed so much sugar/carbs.

#32 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Nutrition has to be adaptive not just one set of doctrines.

I agree that nutrition must be adaptive, but I disagree that the underlying theory behind nutrition cannot be a common ground which applies to everyone. Everyone is human and needs the same types of nutrients to rebuild certain things like nerves, skin, hair, etc.

Here are some things that apply to everyone :

- Diet can decrease inflammation, which will decrease acne.
- Diet can heal the nervous system by providing it with more nutrients. Imagine if even one circuit in your computer is no longer functional.
- Diet will provide all of the necessary micronutrients, and macronutrients to give your body what it needs to do its job. to understand this is to understand why we eat, and furthermore, how the human body functions with and interprets various foods and outside input through the stomach.
- People who cannot handle sugar or carbohydrates very well (due to a lifetime of over-consumption, forming chronic degenerative disease that is so subtle and largely undetectable. Acne is a glimpse into the world inside), will benefit from a restricted carb diet without sugar (refined or not)

Consider that if you are spiking your blood sugar up to insanely high levels by eating too many carbs - your body might be able to handle it for a while, but eventually you will get sores inside the body, and outside.

Fact we do not have all the facts or know all there is to know, to just dismiss something is short sighted.

It's also very short sighted to dismiss the prospect that diet just might be the cure for many people. Do you know why so many people hold onto the belief that there is no correlation between diet and acne? Because the medical industry (including dermatology) has deemed there to be no connection. We see the same old idiotic crap being regurgitated :

- Don't eat chocolate (wtf?)
- Wash your face with salicylic acid etc. etc.
- Use a toner
- Exfoliate
- Diet and acne are not related

Can you honestly look someone in the face and tell them the last one is ultimately true? We take pills that cure acne that in turn ravage the stomach, body, and immune system, and causes birth defects. Pills are part of someone's diet - which entails anything you put in your stomach.

We have plenty of facts about nutrition. It's just that many people tend to jump to conclusions before doing proper research. There is a lot of information out there which will correlate acne with diet :

- acne & inflammation
- acne & ketosis
- acne & IGF1

I completely agree that diet is not a 100% cure-all for everyone, but to the active and healthy individual, it just might be all that they really need.

If you want to talk about something that is highly theoretical and a shot in the dark for healing acne, consider "nasal breathing." If you always breathe through your nose, then this does not apply to you. But if you ever catch yourself with your mouth open, breathing through the mouth, consider that you will now have an overproduction of mucous, and less oxygen in your bloodstream. Is there an acne correlation? Possibly, but as you said, everything counts towards the whole, and a lifestyle change is the ultimate goal.

To conclude, I also do not believe that diet is the 100% cure-all for everyone, and never mentioned otherwise.

To illustrate this point, we can envision a younger person who loves to drink, do drugs, and eat poorly who does have bad acne, will need to do more than just change their diet. However, diet will make this person much more resilient to their poor lifestyle, and drastically improve their acne.

I like your post, albeit i do not agree with everything i certainly respect the reasoning. :D

What was your diet like on ketosis? I personally don't like the term. I suppose I should have said "low-carb". As people are unique, a low-carb diet may not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot.

The only reason I ended up throwing that term around in my own world of healing, is that the foods I began to eat were ironically low in carbs. I suspected it was my lymph nodes that were causing swelling and cysts, and so I just went for it.

I have a friend who is trying to lose weight through ketosis, so the word is now swirling around in my vocabulary. I still eat around 50-100g of carbs a day. If I were to consume more, I'd do it in small amounts.

I suspect a lot of acne sufferers have trouble regulating their blood sugar because they've already consumed so much sugar/carbs.

Agreed.

Carb cycling is a useful tool in this case. Has all the benefits of low carbing with a lot less of the drawbacks of a low carb diet.

#33 jarrit

jarrit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Agreed.

Carb cycling is a useful tool in this case. Has all the benefits of low carbing with a lot less of the drawbacks of a low carb diet.

TakeToTheSkies -

I have been thinking all of this over, and have to agree that lifestyle is indeed the most all-encompassing change that needs to occur in someone's life to cure acne.

As I woke up one day on my usual bike commute into the city, I realized that sunlight is a very important factor in curing acne.

This lead me to the fact that not only do we need to change our diets, but our predominantly sedentary lifestyles (many of us sit in front of computer screens which will not improve our acne).

Active lifestyle, stress free, positive thoughts, with a dietary foundation and a good skincare regimen are all key (not to mention basic hygiene). Diet was the missing link for me, as I had a very active lifestyle prior to this. (Also, cut the drugs and alcohol to a minimum...)

Edited by jarrit, 15 November 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#34 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hey- as for the specific diet I don't really remember the name but my Mother said it was really popular back in the day. I ate grapefruit at almost every meal, and it was very specific about the drinks and amount of protein to combine with it at each sitting. I felt like crap- but I did lose a few pounds. We do indeed NEED carbs to function (especially our brain), but I think a lower carb diet would benefit almost anyone. Or atleast, taking out all the bad carbs (refined white breads, sugary pastries, potatoes, white rice etc.). I try to follow the paleo diet for example- which in my opinion is the perfect low carb diet. It consists of mostly eating quality proteins and veggies, some fruits, and a healthy dose of carbs like sweet potatoes and beans. I have a question though: why would you go on a low carb diet if there was swelling in your lymph? I didn't know there was a correlation between nodes and acne so I'd be interested to hear. I definitely about the sugar and acne. But I don't think its because they already consumed too many carbs. I did some interesting research that taught me:

-Insulin resistance can be a symptom of hormone imbalance (particularly estrogen dominance and high androgens) which creates excess sebum
-Many acne sufferers have a natural intolerance or inability to digest sugars (glucose, sucrose, lactose etc) so the toxins come out through the skin. Look into the FODMAPS diet. This eliminates the tough to digest sugars. And take a darn good probiotic.

I am now experimenting with healing my acne solely through diet and lifestyle. I thought I was doing that for the past 2 years with gluten free etc. but I didn't know just how complex everything was. For example on FODMAPS you can't even eat broccoli.

Edited by Ind1g0, 16 November 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#35 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

I feel fanatastic on a low carb ketogenic diet, but I still have acne. FML