Photo

pics of my disgusting clogged pores

aha alpha hydroxy acid rosacea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

here are some pics...i look very scared but its all the large pores that are literally spreading across my face. I have small embedded white heads that are hard to see in the crease of my chin. You can see some raised white pores that have hard sebum stuck in them but i can get out but right now Ive tried to get several out and made a mess of things. Its never smooth and I have been trying everything over the years to stop them from building up..differin, finacea, mandelic, ziana gel, paulas bha, aha. I have rosacea as well and tons of broken veins all across my face. Im miserable and you cannot cover these..I feel like accutane is the only thing that will shut down the pore and get it functioning properly. Im exhausted and at the end of my rope. I have kept a "skin diary" for 13 straight years and I cried when I read it last night. Im so unhappy and have tried so many things to change it but it gets worse day by day..does anyone have skin like mine out there?

Attached Thumbnails

• chin5.JPG
  • chin4.JPG

#2 {DC}

{DC}

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

you might want to try salicylic acid peels @ 20-25% strength. A series of them. Do your research. It will definitely help clean them out, but obviously it wont keep them clean without maintenance peels, or maybe retinoids would work better once the initial clog was removed/dissolved.

#3 y3rfd0g

y3rfd0g

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (wicky @ Mar 27 2011, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here are some pics...i look very scared but its all the large pores that are literally spreading across my face. I have small embedded white heads that are hard to see in the crease of my chin. You can see some raised white pores that have hard sebum stuck in them but i can get out but right now Ive tried to get several out and made a mess of things. Its never smooth and I have been trying everything over the years to stop them from building up..differin, finacea, mandelic, ziana gel, paulas bha, aha. I have rosacea as well and tons of broken veins all across my face. Im miserable and you cannot cover these..I feel like accutane is the only thing that will shut down the pore and get it functioning properly. Im exhausted and at the end of my rope. I have kept a "skin diary" for 13 straight years and I cried when I read it last night. Im so unhappy and have tried so many things to change it but it gets worse day by day..does anyone have skin like mine out there?

Hey, I'm not a doctor or anything but I can tell you that I had the same thing particularly around my mouth. I had these clogged pores/white tiny bumps along my entire lipline, my upper lip, my chin area, etc. I had always had those since I could remember.

Then I researched this site, and found out about acne cosmetica, and it can take weeks to months to appear and is difficult to get rid of- that is if you keep wearing makeup. I had switched to Everyday minerals back in november and my skin went ballistic. I would say that you maybe have acne cosmetica, and if you stop wearing makeup (i know it sounds very scary!) then they may go away. I am currently on Dan's regimen, and the bezoyl peroxide got rid of these and everything is very smooth. Now for the first time, I don't have those clogged pores and bumps around my mouth and lower part of my face. I just recently started wearing Jane Iredale makeup, and maybe wear it one day a week. I haven't had any problems with it (that I know of!) Best of luck.

#4 *thismission

*thismission

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (wicky @ Mar 27 2011, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi! From your photo it appears to be very minor, try not to worry so much! Stress can worsen acne so try to embrace any happiness you gain. smile.gif Anywho I would say it is definitely possible that it's a cosmetic allergy as the user above listed. Have you tried skipping a few days of wearing make up to see if it helps any? Also you may benefit from a facial steaming. Try doing it and if it helps any you can continue doing so once a week. I think it might help. Good luck. <3

Edited by *thismission, 30 March 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#5 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

thank you both for your replies...Its an interesting observation because I never had this prior to june of 2009. It was around the I started mineral makeup..I have often felt it was similiar to perioral dermatits. It is really bad right now because it is dry and irritated which makes all the white in the pore look like it has pus in it and needs to be released...it doenst because they are completley flat. There are hundreds on them too. Some areas are hard and have a plug that can be expressed with my blackhead remover so they seem like two different things. I recently started trying everyday minerals and this could be one of the reasons..I need to let the area heal first and start slowly adding in some sort of gentle exfoliant to see if that helps keep them from building up. I even started brushing my teeth with baking soda to see if it was a toothpaste thing...What makeups are you wearing right now if any?

#6 chamomile_tea

chamomile_tea

I am the conscious clear in pain or ecstasy.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

I have dealt with minor clogged pores before in my life, but never had a huge amount until February. I started on a thyroid supplement and my skin--which was formerly pretty flawless, I didn't wear makeup--went to hell. My face was a map of comedones and every day more and more of them started to inflame. Fish oil and iodine made them inflame more.

I used to think it was my switch in makeup or perhaps my Clarisonic but it isn't. It's my chin and jaw, the "beard" area almost perfectly symmetrical. It's all hormonal.

I used to wear Revlon ColorStay until my skin got really worse. Then I switched to Bare Minerals. Granted it doesn't cover up acne that well. In use the matte as I find it less irritating (ingredients are different from the regular). I also clean my brushes every couple days, which seems to help. I used to have minor perioral dermatitis and the Bare Minerals cleared that up after a couple weeks. PD doesn't look like that in my experience...it's very unique in pattern, texture, etc. I had both clogs and PD at the same time and they were segregated to different areas on my face. They also looked very different. PD itched like a mo'fo' too. The Bare Minerals and the Clarisonic got rid of the PD.

I clean my cell phone with anti-bac, wash my pillowcase often, try not to touch my face...also rinsing your conditioner out very well may help along with not using comedogenic hair products. I know it seems weird but if you have long hair that touches your cheeks/chin ever (when you sleep?) it might cause issues. In my experience, dirty hair doesn't cause clogs but clean hair saturated with hair stuff does.

Just started a regimen from Garden of Wisdom. They have an anti-blemish kit that is really, really nice. It has mandelic acid serum and that is working to unclog me pretty well. It's very involved (more steps than I like) but I think it is attacking the clogs. I have a bit of purging happening but nothing insane. Just on the clogged pores.

It sucks, sorry you have to deal with it. sad.gif

#7 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:31 AM

chamomile wow do we sound similiar. My skin has gone crazy in the last two years and was initiated by a bout of prednisone. It brought on POD and I have never been the same. On and off doxy since then and then the clogged pores..Ive been on spironolactone since march 2010 and only saw minor improvment in the clogs around the 3/4 month mark. I battle them every day and sometimes cant figure out how to treat...I have different sections of my face where i need different things..Lots of pin sized white heads in the crease of my chin. They look like there is pus but when you push nothing comes out..If I use an extractor sometimes a little plug will shoot out..I also get tiny tiny white hard plugs in the corners of my mouth that seem attached to the hair follicle. they are so tiny and can only be seen when I flex my chin the right way but they are there..Those always have a hard plug or seed attached and need my blackhead extractor to get out...Then right below my lip i get all little white oil plugs that need to be scraped out every single night. Im ruing my pores but if I leave them, more mulitiply. I too have gone the GOW route but have not seen any results..i have a slew of products and am very discourage with them..Ive tried mandleic at 5 and10% and they push the plugs out(which I can get every night) but they never stop them from producing again...I've recently been trying the soothing gentle cleanser and i think it damaged my face even more..It has mandleic and niancinamide in it as well as coconut oil..I think it jam packed my face even more...It irriated after several weeks and made my skin very sensative and red as I have rosacea as well...Ive tried her Gentle Green Tea cleanser(mild formula) and it was too harsh. I even mixed in their creamy cleanser and no go...My skin hates oil but i know i need some hydration so I was using a dab of avoacado serum mixed in with the encapsulated water glacier gel. Not enough hydration and still irritated so I was using the repair and recovery and at first it helped but it doesnt help with redness or dryness. I also use the frankensensce hydrosol toner to spritz with after cleansing...Jen is suppose to formulate a better plan for me so I await that...Can you advise your entire routine with m as im curious as to how your treating your clogs once they are close to the skin and visible...

#8 chamomile_tea

chamomile_tea

I am the conscious clear in pain or ecstasy.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (wicky @ May 24 2011, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chamomile wow do we sound similiar. My skin has gone crazy in the last two years and was initiated by a bout of prednisone. It brought on POD and I have never been the same. On and off doxy since then and then the clogged pores..Ive been on spironolactone since march 2010 and only saw minor improvment in the clogs around the 3/4 month mark. I battle them every day and sometimes cant figure out how to treat...I have different sections of my face where i need different things..Lots of pin sized white heads in the crease of my chin. They look like there is pus but when you push nothing comes out..If I use an extractor sometimes a little plug will shoot out..I also get tiny tiny white hard plugs in the corners of my mouth that seem attached to the hair follicle. they are so tiny and can only be seen when I flex my chin the right way but they are there..Those always have a hard plug or seed attached and need my blackhead extractor to get out...Then right below my lip i get all little white oil plugs that need to be scraped out every single night. Im ruing my pores but if I leave them, more mulitiply. I too have gone the GOW route but have not seen any results..i have a slew of products and am very discourage with them..Ive tried mandleic at 5 and10% and they push the plugs out(which I can get every night) but they never stop them from producing again...I've recently been trying the soothing gentle cleanser and i think it damaged my face even more..It has mandleic and niancinamide in it as well as coconut oil..I think it jam packed my face even more...It irriated after several weeks and made my skin very sensative and red as I have rosacea as well...Ive tried her Gentle Green Tea cleanser(mild formula) and it was too harsh. I even mixed in their creamy cleanser and no go...My skin hates oil but i know i need some hydration so I was using a dab of avoacado serum mixed in with the encapsulated water glacier gel. Not enough hydration and still irritated so I was using the repair and recovery and at first it helped but it doesnt help with redness or dryness. I also use the frankensensce hydrosol toner to spritz with after cleansing...Jen is suppose to formulate a better plan for me so I await that...Can you advise your entire routine with m as im curious as to how your treating your clogs once they are close to the skin and visible...

Cortisones ruined my skin for a good long time too! OMG, it was horrible. They would help and then make things worse and I'd need more... I started with plain old regular topical stuff from the drugstore because of a (tiny) rash on my face that I get when we have bad winters. I ended up with super high cortisol levels in my body, which might have been partly because of what I was doing for my skin.

For me, the comedones are helped by a large combination of avoiding certain things (bacteria-laden cell phones etc as I mentioned) and doing certain things--exercise is a huge one, especially hard aerobics. Also: infrared sauna ($6 a session where I go), steaming my face, castor and jojoba oil cleansing once a week, sulphur and clay masks, mandelic/glycolic/salicylic acids. Probably other things too that I'm forgetting. Oh, yeah, lots of hydration. Aspirin and manuka honey masks. Ridiculous and I probably don't need all of those things but you know how we get that superstitious thing going smile.gif

What GoW things did you all try? The full blemish regimen is pretty huge. I don't think my results are from any one thing. I also do mandelic and their AHA/BHA twice a day. It hasn't dried my skin much.

One thing that REALLY helped, and I hesitate to rec'd it because it's so expensive, is the Somme Institute line. It was great but I really, really can't afford it right now. I am not working anymore because I'm switching gears and quit my old job a long time ago and am going back to school. But if you are going to consider it, it is awesome for clogged pores. I would skip the cleanser and sunscreen moisturizer because they aren't that great. But the A-bomb cream is a vitamin a treatment that works really well. The vitamin c serum is excellent for lightening marks but I don't think it did much for my pores? The glycolic Transport pads were great great great for pores. Combined with the Clarisonic Mia it was hugely effective. But I just can't swing the prices ($70 for the A cream alone! and it didn't last me more than a couple months).

So if you have cash to play with you might try all those.

I don't like to risk extracting them because more often than not I end up with a huge inflamed problem.

Mine also had/have different "types" of sebum like you mentioned. Some old, clearish hard stuff and some softer whiteish stuff. Gross. But I noticed it big time when I started the castor/jojoba oil cleansing. They would just fall off all over my hands. Note that I can't do the oil cleansing more than a couple times a week TOPS... if I do more, the purging from the old whiteheads turning to pimples is too much for me to deal with.

Zinc has helped me. I know I have too much copper in me though due to pipes and BCP. I eat pumpkin seeds and take zinc daily. You can be aware of taking too much zinc if you taste it and it tastes more awful than normal. You know that metallic taste? If it gets particularly strong you probably are oversaturated. My doctor mentioned that to me and it definitely is helpful. I end up taking about 25 mcg a day.

I also find relief if I stick with drinking decaf green tea a few times daily. It takes awhile though.

Niacin (the flushing kind, not the no-flush--it will say on the back) is paricularly awesome for flushing out my pores. Unlike a lot of vitamins I've tried for acne, I notice results pretty quickly with this. You have to be consistent though.

Finally carrot juice works for me! I hate the taste so I mix it with another juice. I absolutely think it's a great thing to do for your body in general. But it also adds a nice subtle golden glow to my skin along with helping my acne. Not much negative about it.

As for actual topical skin care I've been doing the ENTIRE GoW anti blemish kit: either the Green Tea cleanser or the cleansing pads ONCE a day, red wine vinegar toner, AHA/BHA (2%) and Mandelic NO seaweed YES alcohol 10% TWICE a day (I use these very liberally), sulfur mask as needed and as a spot treatment over night, Some Kind of Wonderful detox serum at night, basil hydrosol as needed whenever, and then the Blue Mallow serum mixed into the Emu waxless base cream. For spot treatment during the day I use the Banana healing serum or the Anti-Pop Up. I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm only using the cleanser, toner, acid and serum/cream mix in my actual routine. The other items are just supplementary. Though I will say the sulfur mask kicks ass. It dries up the acne and clogs without drying out my skin though YMMV.

The kit was $60 I think? Not too shabby because the stuff is potent and will last. I really like the acids and the sulfur treatment. The banana healing serum rocks too. That mixed with my vitamins, exericse, careful sanitizing of things my face touches, and weekly oil cleansing. If you do the oil cleansing, you might purge your whiteheads. And try to get UNREFINED castor oil.

It sounds like you are getting lots of whiteheads even when you get rid of them--are they in different spots? Or the same spots? If they are in different spots and you are using acids regularly and still getting new whiteheads you might look into diet, hormone issues, and what sort of things you are doing to your face like towels/makeup/makeup brushes. If they are just stubborn ones that you can't get rid of I think that's another story (and my main issue now though it is going away). Clogged pores as we all know are related to skin not sloughing off properly and bacteria hairs dead skin etc then getting involved... you have to look at why that might be....I think. Either manual or chemical or both kinds of exfoliation are crucial here.

I know this is controversial but I don't care: the sun, in sane moderate doses, REALLY helped my oil production and curbs my acne--ALL kinds of my acne. It has always helped. I do put a natural sunblock on any red marks I may have. Obviously everyone knows how they feel about sun, skin, cancer; everyone should know their risk and act accordingly. But also not buy into the complete hysteria surrounding things like fat, sun, etc. We are creatures that are meant to have consistent sun exposure. Consistent is a key word here. If anyone goes out in the sun in huge random spurts it's going to cause overexposure....

That was a long post smile.gif Excuse me!

#9 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

you are fabulous for answering so many of my questions...My pores in my right corner of my mouth are the worst...I feel like Im getting them in exactly the same spots..I extract it and it comes back in a day or two. It always looks like I get the core but maybe I dont since its back again...I have some that are bulging and want to be extracted so bad and others that are flat pin sized and can only be seen when I flex my chin really hard...My left side is never that bad...As far as hormonal Im sure its related but this has been going on for two straight years in my chin area...Not to find one product that helps or works to prevent is upsetting...I have been applying the mandelic 5 or 10% to certain plugs and it makes them rise up but they never come out on their own...I was usng the Gentle soothing rosacea cleaner but it made things so much worse for me after a month of use...I have the green tea cleanser but found it a bit drying..Aloe does that to me for some reason. I even mixed it with the creamy cleanser but they are too emollient for me and therfore clog me...i cant seem to find the right balance in a cleanser...The sulfur mask sounds interesting..How exactly does it work? Does it dry the plug up and fall off? I would love not to extract all the time as i think its making things worse...My skin also hates most oils and every time i do OCM i break out in welts the next day..I think its the jojoba that does it to me..I have their Cleansing oil I would like to try but not sure if what I should wash with after...You see I have rosacea as well and get irritated and tomato red after washing with just about everything..Im going to look into that expensive line you mentioned cause I really dont care anymore..does that vitamin a cream work to prevnet them and which one of GOW's AHA/BHA products do you use specifically?//

I also hear Kukui nut oil is a light oil that I havent tried but got a sample from them...To answer my diet. I dont eat gluten, dairy, or any processed sugar or white flour foods so itss pretty much healthy eating for me all the time and nothing still works..thanks for the info and I wait to hear more from you