Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AHA/BHA and the sun?

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been using Paula's Choice 8% AHA and 2% BHA Liquid for a while now and my skin is so much better than it was, but with the UK summer and a holiday coming up where I can't and don't want to avoid sun exposure, is a good sun cream going to be enough to protect the skin on my face? I've got an spf 25 facial suncream from Dermalogica, but I don't know whether I should stop using the AHA and BHA before I go on holiday and then start again when I come back, or what to do about the (occasional!) sunny weekends we get in the UK where I want to be outdoors?

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, I'd suggest not using it every single day and cleanse, tone and moisturize on the days you're not exfoliating. In my opinion, spf25 is not strong enough. Try to get a sunscreen with a higher protection index. A great looking hat, if you don't mind wearing one, might help too.

But don't stop treating your non inflamed acne, cause the sun exposure will " clear" you up temporarily, but the acne will come back with a vengeance (personal experience).

You said you were using the Paula's choice BHA/AHA for a while. Am curious to know, for how long you've been using it? After how many days/weeks you've seen improvement and whether you've experienced purging? I am personally using Avene Cleanance K which has AHA/BHA as active ingredients, it's been 6 months now, I don't know if I should stick with it...