45 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

http://www.alternet....etter961541&t=7

About bread & the modern wheat grown today that was bread to be milled into white flour for the rapid-rise crappy white bread industry.  It isn't the same as the stuff that used to be the 'staff of life.'

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#42 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hey Alternativista,

I just added millet in my diet, any tips or tricks to cooking millet etc.?

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Hey Alternativista,

I just added millet in my diet, any tips or tricks to cooking millet etc.?

I've never cooked millet, but I would bet you can substitute it in any quinoa or couscous recipe.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#44 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Gluten is actually a combo of proteins found in all grains. 

From a a blogger elaborating on the previously mentioned video & slideshow explaining the anti-nutrients in grains.

http://urbanposer.bl...-gluten_02.html

There is much confusion surrounding the enigma that we call 'Gluten'. This is largely because almost all of the data that the majority of the medical community is going on has not been revisited or updated in as much as 60 YEARS. Now that's some old information! And from the looks of it there are no plans to update that anytime soon.

So before we move on, let's try to define gluten. If you look up 'gluten' in the dictionary, you will find that webster's definition is ALSO based on that old and outdated information; referring ONLY to wheat, rye, barley and oats. However, what we now know from modern studies is that "gluten" is actually a mixture of proteins found in ALL grains. It is composed of two primary 'subfractions' known as Prolamines and Glutelins.

The prolamine known as "gliadin" is the most studied in medical literature; primarily as it relates to Celiac Disease. Many people, including doctors, do not understand that the prolamine, "gliadin" is not the ONLY type of gluten out there, nor is it the ONLY one reeking havoc in peoples bodies. It is, however, the ONLY one that is routinely tested for and since recent studies have identified least 400 other gluten proteins out there, you may not be getting the right test done!

So, let's take a look at some of the other 'prolamines' out there...

The Prolamine Fraction of Proteins in Grains

Grain Prolamine % Total Protein
Wheat Gliadin 69%
Rye Secalinin 30-50%
Oats Avenin 16%
Barley Hordein 46-52%
Millet Panicin 40%
Corn Zien 55%
Rice Orzenin 5%
Sorgum Kafirin 52%

*This is excerpted. There's more to the full web page, including a video by Dr. Peter Osborne.

Here's the study on Buckwheat's anti-oxidant activity.

Buckwheat Prolamin and Its Antioxidative Activity

http://lnmcp.mf.uni-..../2001s-629.pdf

Buckwheat Prolamin and Its Antioxidative Activity (2001)
Takanori KUSANO, Hiroko CHIUE and Kimikazu IWAMI

Department of Nutrition, Kobe-Gakuin University
Ikawadani-cho Arise, Nishi-ku, Kobe 651-2180, Japan
Department of Biological Resource Chemistry, Kyoto Prefectural University
Shimogamo Nakaragi-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8522, Japan

Source: http://lnmcp.mf.uni-..../2001s-629.pdf

ABSTRACT
Buckwheat prolamins were most effectively extracted from buckwheat (Fagopyrum
esculentum Moench) flour by 55% n-propanol and were 3.37 to 4.95% of total protein under
the most efficient conditions for extraction (at 60°C). Amino acid analysis data showed that
buckwheat prolamin didn't exhibit one of characteristics of cereal prolamins, the high
glutamate/glutamine and proline content.
The antioxidative activity of buckwheat prolamin
was investigated. The peroxide value under powder model systems and radical scavenging
effect were evaluated. Buckwheat prolamin was effective inhibitor of the oxidation of linoleic
acid.

#45 AmberTaylor

AmberTaylor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Soon I will not be able to eat grains as I am going to do the Paleo diet.  I am looking forward to making cauliflower rice, which I think will be fantastic.

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Coconut flour-based tortilla/crepes plus many good filling ideas/recepies.

http://realhealthyre...ortillas-video/

See also the Better Breads and Bread substitutes thread where I would have put this if it hadn't been archived. Breads, pancakes, crackers, chips, cookies, ets.

http://www.acne.org/...-chips-cookies/

Edited by alternativista, 02 June 2014 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users