Photo

high dose vitamin A

vitamin vitamins vitamin a fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 fatkat

fatkat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I'm very confused by all of the information that I read about vitamin A toxicity.

I started taking 100,000 IU's, recommended by my physician (who stressed that it be sourced from fish oil and not synthetic) back in June of 2010. It cleared up my acne very quickly and I dropped down to 50,000 IU's, then eventually to 10,000 IU's. I stayed on this dose all winter and I am now back at 50,000, since I typically have more trouble during the Spring.

What is odd to me is that I have had none of the side affects commonly associated with Vitamin A toxicity. My skin has not been overly dry (in fact, it feels quite normal), I have had less trouble with rashes, I seem to be more clear headed (which serves me well, as I attend college and work full-time, carrying a 4.0 GPA) my menstrual cycle is very regular, my hair is not dry or brittle (in fact, I've had perms and highlights while on the supplement), and I have not had any excessive hair loss either. I also have not had any headaches or nausea.

In three months, I will have been on a higher-than-recommended-dose of Vitamin A for a year, and I feel fine.

Has anyone been on high-dose vitamin A as long as I have, or longer, without side affects?

I do plan to cut the dosage down to the RDA when I have reached the one-year mark, as I don't believe an access of any vitamin is good for too long, but I am enjoying my clear skin. I also want to have a liver panel done, to be sure I'm O.K., and out of curiosity.
I will keep you posted as to the results.

#2 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

We'd better do quick before this thread get closed tongue.gif. I've been on 50000 IU for 2 weeks with no sides except mild dry lips. It's cleared my skin so much, no active acne at all already, back, face and scalp smile.gif. Now i'm waiting for the red marks to heal. I believe that there's a propaganda going on possibly spread by the Accutane defenders. Also, I had to go to many pharmacies before one accepted to sell me Vitamin a without a prescription, business, always. I'm so happy I'll be able to enjoy clear skin soon. Nothing has come close to vitamin A for treating my acne!

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#3 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (FredTheBelgian @ Mar 22 2011, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'd better do quick before this thread get closed tongue.gif. I've been on 50000 IU for 2 weeks with no sides except mild dry lips. It's cleared my skin so much, no active acne at all already, back, face and scalp smile.gif. Now i'm waiting for the red marks to heal. I believe that there's a propaganda going on possibly spread by the Accutane defenders. Also, I had to go to many pharmacies before one accepted to sell me Vitamin a without a prescription, business, always. I'm so happy I'll be able to enjoy clear skin soon. Nothing has come close to vitamin A for treating my acne!

Up? It's sad that when we discuss a natural treatment that works, there's noone around anymore...

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#4 vanillacupcake

vanillacupcake

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

vitamin a definetly works! you just have to be careful smile.gif
99% clear with vitamin a, e, and fish oil and topical ziana. vegetarian and matcha green tea addict <3

#5 cocobean

cocobean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

which brand of high dose vit a do u guys use and where do u get it? i must do this....had accutane 4 times in the past.
Vit a sourced from fish oil? tell me more!

#6 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Oh man I just did a peel thing my mom gave me (she's an esthetician) and two days in a row after (including today) took 20,000 IU of vitamin A & D. Finally starting to see some improvement in my skin, although I'm sure diet changes two months ago have set the stage for it. Posted Image

Edited by corgisoulpower, 27 October 2011 - 03:57 PM.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#7 SoaringButterfly16

SoaringButterfly16

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Carrot Juice ! Has the highest dose of Vitamin A than any other veggie... I went an bought a bottle of BoltHouse 100% carrot juice and it seems like it s helping. Be warned that you cant drink a lot of it cuz you'll turn orange or something.

#8 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Carrot Juice ! Has the highest dose of Vitamin A than any other veggie... I went an bought a bottle of BoltHouse 100% carrot juice and it seems like it s helping. Be warned that you cant drink a lot of it cuz you'll turn orange or something.

I've only heard of that happening from pill-form beta carotene. You'd have to drink, like, TONS of it to turn ya 'range.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#9 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

Carrots have beta carotene, which is regulated in the body and toxicity is nearly non-existent.
Vitamin A (retinol) is worlds away from beta carotene and anyone taking 100K IU daily would die/experience liver problems.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

#10 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Vitamin A, D, and K(active form) have a dose dependent relationship. Vitamin A is only toxic if you have low vitamin D especially and K secondary. Though taking 100k Vit A will snuff out your D stores pretty quick. Moral of the story - Get plenty of sun or hit up some quality D3 (thorne research liquid vit D)

EDIT: Taking massive doses of Vit A is pretty much taking accutane as accutane is naturally produced in the body in small amounts, but with huge massive doses of vitamin A that vitamin A derivative gets a huge influx.

Edited by moonbase, 11 November 2011 - 08:20 PM.

Comments:
No acne, nearly invisible scars, and happy as can be. Thanks to fraxel and diet. Now i'm here to help others.