Photo

*`*~Skin-Care Made Simple~*`*

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

If you're confused about skincare, here is some basic advice from WebMD, top dermatologist Dr. Amy Wechsler, skin-care expert Paula Begoun, and others that might be helpful, along with help on choosing products, which is really important if you're acne-prone! There are many excellent products and brands to choose from.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

BASIC SKIN-CARE ROUTINE

BASIC PRODUCTS

LEARN MORE ABOUT SKIN-CARE

DIET

OTHER TIPS

SOURCES

BASIC SKIN-CARE ROUTINE:
Below are basic tips recommended by WebMD, Paula Begoun, Dr. Amy Wechsler and others.

CLEANSE
Do not use a bar soup, as they are usually alkaline and can leave a film on your skin, clog pores, and block other ingredients from absorbing (1). Choose a water soluble cleanser (2). The cleanser should be fragrance-free and should not include drying ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate. You can remove it with a soft washcloth, but do not pull at your skin. I'd like to add a note to this: Apply the cleanser in circular motions for at least 20 seconds so that the cleanser has time to do its job, break down oils, etc. 20 seconds of rubbing hands with soap is what the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends when washing hands, so why not apply this logic to your face (3)?

TONE
Use a gentle, water-based toner. Avoid those with alcohol, astringents like witch hazel, menthol, citrus, or fragrances (4).

EXFOLIATE
Salicylic acid (BHA) (2) reduces inflammation, swelling, and redness, all of which can help the skin heal. It can also kill acne inducing bacteria, and it exfoliates deep into pores. Use at least .5%, but 1% or 2% is better, and the formula should have a PH between 3 and 4 (4). If you cannot use BHA, you can try an 8% AHA.

BENZOYL PEROXIDE
Recommended by WebMD for acne (2) and stated to kill bacteria (5), BP is the most effective over-the-counter choice for going deep into the pores and killing acne causing bacteria (1). You can start with a 2.5% concentration and move up from there (4). Dr. Amy Wechsler recommends trying BHAs for 3 weeks before trying Benzoyl Peroxide. She recommends cleansing once a day with a 10% BP solution, if you can handle it, and for the occasional blemish, she recommends spot treating with the lowest strength possible (6). Rinse thoroughly, as residue of BP can bleach fabrics and hair.

If BP doesn't work for you, consider tretinoin (Retin-A), which encourages cell turnover and helps stop new acne lesions from forming (5). It's also fabulous for anti-aging! Do not use Retin-A with BP at the same time, as BP will inactivate Retin-A (1). My note: BP can cause irritation, so I recommend it only as a temporary use. Retin-A should only be used at night and should be washed off in the morning followed by the application of a full-spectrum sunscreen.

MOISTURIZE
Be sure to use one that's formulated for your skin's type, and use a broad-spectrum sunscreen during the day. For sunscreen, I recommend an oil-free moisturizer (if your skin is oily) with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (for safety reasons, make sure the nanoparticles of these are greater than 30nm (7) so as to not risk being absorbed through your skin).

ABSORB EXCESS OIL
You can use oil-blotting paper or absorbent masks to help with excess oil such as a clay mask or even Phillip's Milk of Magnesia works well as a mask.

TEA TREE OIL
Tea tree oil is another option for killing bacteria (2).

BASIC PRODUCTS:
Look for pH balanced products that contain antioxidants, skin-repairing ingredients (like niacinamide), anti-irritants (like green tea), and cell-communicating ingredients (like niacinamide and retinols). They should be free of skin-irritants (like lavender), fragrances and dyes.

Check out reviews of your current products at the below sources.
Beautypedia's Product Evaluations
Consumer Search: Health & Beauty Reviews
Acne.org User Reviews
About.com Skin-Care Product Reviews

If your products aren't listed, you can check out their ingredients at the below links. If you know of other good sources for this, please let me know:
Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary
Ingredients that Cause or Exacerbate Acne
Glossary of Cosmetic Terms
DHC Skin-Care Glossary
Dermatology Dictionary

Concerned about the safety of your products?
EWG's Cosmetic Safety Database
Note: I prefer all-natural products, but because I have yet to find a well-formulated, natural product without skin irritants, I have chosen to use synthetics for facial care. However, I use all-natural body lotions (fragrance-free), etc.

Anti-acne product recommendations by Paula, Dr. Amy Wechsler and Acne.org:
Beautypedia - Best Anti-Acne Products
Get Flawless Skin - Dr. Amy's Skin-Care Treatment Guide
Acne.org Acne Products

LEARN MORE ABOUT SKIN-CARE:
Skin-Care Facts
Dr. Oz Skin-Care Articles, Q&A, etc.

DIET:
Have to put in a diet plug here as well. Posted Image Avoid dairy and choose a low-glycemic diet (8). Avoid meat and saturated fats (10). Many people are allergic to gluten, so consider gluten-free foods. Choose foods that are anti-inflammatory, such as whole, unprocessed plant-foods (10), and I can't recommend more highly the addition of daily blended greens (click here), which are in my opinion, essential for healthy skin.

Fish oil (or a DHA oil), Vitamin D, probiotics, and a food-based multi-vitamin are all helpful and recommended for basic health as well.
Making healthful changes for your skin, especially if doing a mostly whole, plant-based diet, will also help keep your body free from diseases like cancer, heart-disease and diabetes, according to Dr. T. Colin Campbell, who did the most thorough study on nutrition ever done when he conducted The China Study (9).

Check out this article from Paula Begoun: 5 Anti-Aging Superfoods for Younger-Looking Skin

OTHER TIPS:
Don't pick at your skin, don't get hair products on your skin, wash off sweat, avoid prescription drugs, get adequate sleep, exercise, and find time each day to de-stress. Don't let acne rob you of love, joy and compassion in your life. Acne is annoying, but taking the focus off of yourself and focusing on love and compassion towards others can help. Besides faith (for me), nothing will bring you more happiness than a heart full of compassion, just ask Roko Belic, director of the movie, "Happy!" (11)

Best Wishes! Posted Image

SOURCES
(1) Best Acne Fighting Products
(2) WebMD. Acne Home Treatment
(3) CDC. Handwashing
(4) Do I Need a Toner?
(5) Cornell. Acne Treatment (topical, systemic)
(6) Get Flawless Skin - Dr. Amy's Skin-Care Treatment Guide
(7) Towards a definition of inorganic nanoparticles from an environmental, health and safety perspective
(8) A Clear Connection? Most dermatologists tell their patients diet plays no role in acne. New research suggests that's wrong.
(9) The China Study
(10) Acne Vulgaris: Overview and Risk Factors
(11) Culture of Empathy

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 19 December 2011 - 03:55 PM.

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

~Philippians 4:8~

Green smoothies/blended greens keep me clear! Click here

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#2 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

The below product recommendations are well-formulated, recommended for acne by Paula Begoun, and were found at http://www.cosmetics...g-products.aspx

Best Gentle, Water-Soluble Cleansers for Acne:
• Alpha Hydrox Face Wash ($5.99 for 6 ounces)
• Boots Expert Anti-Blemish Cleansing Foam ($5.29 for 5 ounces)
• Boots No7 Beautifully Balanced Purifying Cleanser, for Oily/Combination Skin ($7.99 for 6.6 ounces)
• Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser, Oil-Free ($5.49 for 5.5 ounces)
• Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Sensitive Skin ($5.49 for 8 ounces)
• Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild Formula ($15 for 6.7 ounces)
• Dior Self-Foaming Cleanser ($29 for 5 ounces)
• Dove Cool Moisture Foaming Facial Cleanser ($6.49 for 6.76 ounces)
• Good Skin Perfect Balance Gel Cleanser ($12.50 for 6.7 ounces)
• Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclean Cleanser ($29 for 8 ounces)
• Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, For All Skin Types ($17.50 for 5 ounces)
• Laura Mercier Oil-Free Gel Cleanser ($35 for 8 ounces)
• Laura Mercier One-Step Cleanser ($35 for 8 ounces)
• Mary Kay Deep Cleanser Formula 3 ($12 for 6.5 ounces)
• MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cleanser, Glycolic Free ($25 for 8 ounces)
• Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser ($6.59 for 6.7 ounces)
• Neutrogena One Step Gentle Cleanser ($7.49 for 5.2 ounces)
• Olay Foaming Face Wash, for Sensitive Skin ($4.49 for 6.78 ounces)
• Patricia Wexler M.D. Dual Action Foaming Cleanser ($16 for 5.1 ounces)
• Paula's Choice CLEAR Normalizing Cleanser ($10.95 for 6 ounces)
• Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser ($15.95 for 8 ounces)
• Paula's Choice One Step Face Cleanser for Normal to Oily/Combination Skin ($15.95 for 8 ounces)
• Patricia Wexler M.D. Dual Action Foaming Cleanser ($16 for 5.1 ounces)
• Peter Thomas Roth Gentle Foaming Cleanser ($32 for 6.7 ounces)
• Ultraceuticals Gentle Cleansing Gel ($36 for 6.76 ounces)
• Zia Natural HydraClean Face Wash ($9.95 for 5 ounces)

Best Topical Disinfectants (Benzoyl Peroxide) for Acne:
• Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10, Maximum Strength ($5.89 for 1 ounce)
• Clearasil StayClear Tinted Acne Treatment Cream ($6.29 for 1 ounce)
• Clearasil StayClear Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream ($6.29 for 1 ounce)
• Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel Lotion ($13.50 for 0.5 ounce)
• Kate Somerville Anti-Bac Clearing Lotion ($39 for 1.7 ounces)
• Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel ($7 for 1 ounce)
• Oxy Oxy Spot Treatment ($5.49 for 0.65 ounce)
• Paula's Choice CLEAR Acne Fighting Treatment ($16.95 for 2.25 ounces)
• Paula's Choice CLEAR Extra Strength Acne Fighting Treatment ($17.95 for 2.25 ounces)
• ProActiv Solution Repairing Lotion ($21.75 for 2 ounces)
• Rodan + Fields Step 3: Unblemish Acne Benzoyl Peroxide Treatment ($47 for 1.7 ounces)
• Serious Skin Care Clearz-It Acne Medication ($17.50 for 2 ounces)
• Stridex Power Pads ($6.99 for 28 pads)
• Zapzyt 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Gel ($5.29 for 1 ounce)

Best Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic Acid) Exfoliants for Acne:
• Clinique Skin Conditioning Treatment ($65 for 1 ounce)
• Cosmedicine Speedy Recovery Acne Treatment Daytime Blemish Lotion SPF 15 ($40 for 2 ounces)
• Cosmedicine Speedy Recovery Acne Treatment On-the-Spot Gel ($18 for 0.23 ounce)
• Estee Lauder Fruition Extra Multi-Action Complex ($73 for 1.7 ounces)
• Jan Marini Factor-A Plus Mask ($81 for 2 ounces)
• Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-In-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment ($7.99 for 2 ounces)
• Nu Skin Clear Action Acne Medication Night Treatment ($38 for 1 ounce)
• Paula's Choice CLEAR Targeted Relief Acne Toner with 2% Salicylic Acid ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice CLEAR Extra Strength Targeted Relief Acne Toner with 2% Salicylic Acid ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid ($18.95 for 4 ounces)
• ProActiv Solution Clarifying Night Cream ($28.75 for 1 ounce)

Best Oil-Absorbing Products for Acne and/or Oily Skin:
• Bioelements Restorative Clay Mask ($30 for 2.5 ounces)
• Biore Purify Self Heating Mask($7.99 for 2.08 ounces)
• Boots Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask ($8.99 for 4.2 ounces)
• Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector ($17.50 for 0.5 ounce)
• Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Tint Oil Control Lotion SPF 20 ($42 for 1.35 ounces)
• DHC Mineral Mask ($35 for 3.5 ounces)
• Jan Marini Factor-A Plus Mask ($81 for 2 ounces)
• Kiehl's Rare Earth Facial Cleansing Masque, for Normal to Oily Skin Types ($20 for 5 ounces)
• Nu Skin Epoch Glacial Marine Mud ($24.70 for 7 ounces)
• Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Carbon Mask ($14.95 for 4 ounces)
• Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate ($24.95 for 1 ounce)
• Skinceuticals Clarifying Clay Masque Deep Pore Cleansing Skin-Refining Masque ($42 for 2 ounces)
• Smashbox Anti-Shine ($27 for 1 ounce)
Best Lightweight Moisturizers for Dealing with Acne Accompanied by Dry Patches or Flaky Skin:
• Boots Expert Sensitive Light Moisturizing Lotion ($5.99 for 6.7 ounces)
• Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Serum ($7.49 for 1.6 ounces)
• BeautiControl Cell Block-C P.M. Cell Protection ($36.50 for 1 ounce)
• CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion ($12.99 for 12 ounces)
• Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer, for Combination Oily to Oily Skin ($42.50 for 1.7 ounces)
• Clinique Turnaround Concentrate Visible Skin Renewer ($37.50 for 1 ounce)
• Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Concentrate Recovery Boosting Treatment ($85 for 1 ounce)
• Estee Lauder Nutritious Vita-Mineral Radiance Serum ($40 for 1 ounce)
• Dermalogica AGE Smart Map-15 Regenerator ($85 for 0.3 ounce)
• Good Skin All Calm Moisture Lotion ($24.50 for 1.7 ounces)
• Isomers Absolutes Anti Redness Serum ($29.99 for 1 ounce)
• MD Formulations Critical Care Calming Gel ($39 for 1 ounce)
• MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel ($45 for 1 ounce)
• Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum ($19.49 for 1.7 ounces, available in regular or fragrance-free, with the fragrance-free option being preferred)
• Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel ($18.95 for 2 ounces)
• Paula's Choice HydraLight Moisture-Infusing Lotion ($18.95 for 2 ounces)
• Paula's Choice Super Antioxidant Concentrate, for All Skin Types ($24.95 for 1 ounce)
• Prescriptives Intensive Rebuilding Lotion ($80 for 1.7 ounces)
• Prescriptives Redness Relief Gel ($50 for 1 ounce)
• Prescriptives Super Line Preventor Xtreme ($48 for 1 ounce)

"...whatsoever things are true... honest... just... pure... lovely... or of good report;

* Diet: Whole foods, mostly plant-based diet - lots of green vegetables, beans/legumes, nuts/seeds, fruit and occasional whole grains. If you suffer with acne, please see the diet tip section here.

* Skin-care Regimen: I recommend Paula's Choice (by Paula Begoun). For basic and effective, well-researched skin-care tips, click here.

* Supplements: Acidophilus, a safe, well-researched, food-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3, and a pure DHA supplement.

* Lifestyle: Plenty of sleep, sweat-inducing exercise, sunshine, time each day to relax and de-stress, focusing on love, compassion and thankfulness, and keeping a clean, organized environment and life, helps to more easily maintain a healthy, happy life.

* Faith: If you're open to religion, having faith greatly helps with well-being and health. My faith is in Jesus Christ. I had to do much research regarding this decision, but it was worth it! It gives my life meaning, peace, and especially joy. If you have questions, PM me!

#3 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

hello! this is such a great and comprehensive list!
one comment, though--
"BP can cause irritation and create bacterial resistance"
bp cannot cause bacterial resistance
"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

building a personal bubble of support via my log: Jokerj's Hopeful Log

#4 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

jokerj,
Hey there! smile.gif Thank you so much! Really glad you like the post! And thank you for pointing out the tidbit about BP!! I'm not sure where I got that information, but upon googling again, your statement is backed up by several sources, including Paula Begoun, so I must have gotten confused along the way (yikes!). I think it's one of the few facts I didn't source too (go figure!). This thread is supposed to help condense all of the most helpful, basic and effective skin-care tips, so the last thing I want to do is spread misinformation! I have already made the change, and thank you again for alerting me! I really appreciate it! smile.gif

#5 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

no problem! just helping an acne.org VIP!
"You're such a beautiful freak, I wish there were more just like you. You're not like all of the others, that is why I love you. Beautiful Freak, Beautiful Freak- that is why I love you."

#6 AcneSlayer

AcneSlayer

Live. Laugh. Love.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

Wow! This was a very thorough yet short guide! I love that you provided the lists of all those products...great to see some of my favorites are on there! This is really great. Thanks!

90% Clear thanks to Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo!
Current Routine:
-Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub
-Carley's Clear and Smooth Exotic Butter Moisturizer
-Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer with SPF 30
-Clean and Clear Persa Gel Maxiumum Strength (spot treat)
-Tretinoin 0.05% (currently twice weekly at night)
-Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask (once a week)
-Everday Minerals Mineral Makeup
-Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo

#7 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

Also- I'm confused... the acne detective list says BHA is pore-clogging! Why? Is this true?

Thanks ABG for citing so beautifully, by the way

#8 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

jokerj,
Aw, so nice! Thank you! smile.gif About the BHA, I think it was referring to Butylated Hydroxyanisole instead of Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic Acid)? Paula Begoun's ingredient dictionary at Cosmetics Cop (my favorite ingredient dictionary) didn't give Butylated Hydroxyanisole good remarks either. I didn't realize until now that BHA stood for another ingredient!

AcneSlayer,
Thank you so much for your support! It's great to hear, and I'm really glad you like it! smile.gif

#9 jokerj

jokerj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

ahh, that makes sense! how confusing! it is my favorite, too

#10 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (jokerj @ Apr 21 2011, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahh, that makes sense! how confusing! it is my favorite, too

Oh, Fairy! Help me!!! I believe you so much! I was reading a post where you said that if we have the right nutrients we should overcome acne, no need to starve ourselves

I drink one green smoothie a day, not enough right? I know our body needs so many nutrients! I should wait until I am hungry and then go for a green smoothie right away!

I have probably 2 cups worth of smoothie?

What do you recommend? Did you ever have back acne?

Leafy greens rock the world!! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1XHs4KHir7Q Dr. Fuhrman! Oh, you are such an amazing woman! I know with you and people spreading your hope and cure that we can conquer acne!

I also find that I take a handful of spinach and my smoothie ends of having a slight corn flavor, I am probably using too much. How much leafy greens should an acne free person eat a day?

with the bulk of the leaves it is hard to measure a cup, should I have a shredded cup or a bulky one?

Also is fish oil necessary? I mean Africans in the savanna did not have access to fish centuries ago. There are omega 3's in plants and greens! I don't like flax.

#11 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

Crystaltheparislover, (cute name!) smile.gif

First off, thank you for the very kind words! It's my pleasure to spread helpful information. smile.gif

Is one green smoothie all you eat all day? I definitely advise more food! You can PM me, and I'll send you a handout that has food recommendations for the day along with recipes.

I would aim for at least 2 cups of green smoothie a day. Try to get in one serving (or at least 2 if you're struggling with acne) of fresh greens and one of cooked greens, like steamed broccoli or collard greens. You can also blend greens and add them to cooked foods like spaghetti sauces and soups. You can supplement your diet with powdered greens as well but still get in fresh.

Instead of going by measurements, I usually just advise a large handful of greens, which would probably yield a little over a cup. I don't think I've ever actually measured! I'm like that with everything though... I usually just throw stuff in.... which makes it really hard to come up with recipes for the dishes I make! haha!

So glad you're watching Dr. Fuhrman videos! He is great!!

There is controversy about fish oil. Dr. Fuhrman has an omega 3 supplement that you might want to try - it's derived from algae I think. Some argue that we get all the omega 3's we need from our food, but for one with acne, I definitely advise supplementing with it until the condition improves. Be sure you are taking vitamin D as well!!

You are definitely on the right track!! eusa_dance.gif

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 06 July 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#12 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (*`*~ABG Fairy~*`* @ Jul 6 2011, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crystaltheparislover, (cute name!) smile.gif

First off, thank you for the very kind words! It's my pleasure to spread helpful information. smile.gif

Is one green smoothie all you eat all day? I definitely advise more food! You can PM me, and I'll send you a handout that has food recommendations for the day along with recipes.

I would aim for at least 2 cups of green smoothie a day. Try to get in one serving (or at least 2 if you're struggling with acne) of fresh greens and one of cooked greens, like steamed broccoli or collard greens. You can also blend greens and add them to cooked foods like spaghetti sauces and soups. You can supplement your diet with powdered greens as well but still get in fresh.

Instead of going by measurements, I usually just advise a large handful of greens, which would probably yield a little over a cup. I don't think I've ever actually measured! I'm like that with everything though... I usually just throw stuff in.... which makes it really hard to come up with recipes for the dishes I make! haha!

So glad you're watching Dr. Fuhrman videos! He is great!!

There is controversy about fish oil. Dr. Fuhrman has an omega 3 supplement that you might want to try - it's derived from algae I think. Some argue that we get all the omega 3's we need from our food, but for one with acne, I definitely advise supplementing with it until the condition improves. Be sure you are taking vitamin D as well!!

You are definitely on the right track!! eusa_dance.gif

I will definitely up my green smoothie intake! I believe my vitamin levels are low, as with most people with acne! I do eat other food besides the smoothies of course, I was a bit vague, sorry! I am going to have a sweet potato right now, do you know what I can replace butter with?

I am going to eat more salads with my two to 3 green smoothies a day, and eat more fruit! I want my baby soft skin back from years ago, and I know this is the right track!

Oh, for Vitamin D, since it's summer, I think those levels must be in check

#13 fetus

fetus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Do you have any recommendations for toners?
Thanks in advance. (:

#14 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

Crystaltheparislover,
haha! I'm glad you eat more than just smoothies!! hehe Greens are our most high-nutrient foods, so you are on the right track with those! For sweet potatoes, I love adding Mexican seasonings and healthful chili-style type beans - yum!! smile.gif You can replace butter with Butter Buds.

Be careful with the fruit, as it can be high in natural sugars. You might opt for low sugar fruits like pears, green apples and berries.

If you're getting plenty of sun, then yes, that's the best source of Vitamin D!!! eusa_dance.gif

fetus,
Here are a couple links with suggestions... I'm assuming you have oily/combination skin: http://www.beautyped...cid...4&rid=1,3

http://www.paulascho...ment-clear-skin

Hope this helps! smile.gif

#15 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Some good advice here,

I recommend staying away from sodium lauryl sulfate too. It's not natural and when it get's into your blood stream it causes problems just like many other artificial and chemical based low quality skin care products.

I still wouldn't recommend benzoyl peroxide though, It just dried my skin out and made it red.

Plus I have read some things about benzoyl peroxide that have scared me far away from it! Just google it!

#16 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

^ Good advice, thanks for sharing! I never liked BP either. I found it too harsh for my skin, but I know a lot of people really like it. However, just from my experience with it, and what you say you've discovered, I'd definitely recommend for people to gradually stop using it as soon as they can. For that, they'd most likely need a good nutrition plan along with continuing a good and basic skin-care plan.

#17 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I wanted to alert everyone that Paula Begoun (Paula's Choice) has a new skin-care line that's 98% natural! It's called Earth Sourced. I am excited about this, because in the past, I was never able to find a natural line that was well-formulated, but I know Paula's will be!

#18 excelicious

excelicious

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Love your post! A wise random man at sephora once told me if you still need to tone after cleansing that means the cleanser you are using is not working. My life had never been the same after that.

Also last year BP and Tea tree oil reck havok on my face! I had painful acne all over my face, painful to the touch!

But if it works ofr you I am happy for you <3

#19 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thank you Excelicious! That does sound like a wise man. :) I hope you were able to find something that worked for you! BP is definitely harsh--I think it's best to only use it if you have to!

#20 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thought I'd bump this up for newcomers to see (got the idea from a smart acne veteran).  :)