Photo

Pantothenic Acid (B5) Acne

pantothenic pantothenic acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Human #...

Human #...

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

I am about to start using Pantothenic Acid (B5) for my acne, and I was wondering if people that have actually USED this product can comment on how it worked for them. Also comment on how you used it. Please and Thank You.

#2 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Here's some results from the search function: http://www.acne.org/.....;highlite=+B5

#3 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

Worked well for me short term. It was simply the volume of tablets needed to keep it going that in the end made me seek alternatives.

#4 Human #...

Human #...

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (wibble @ Mar 15 2011, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Worked well for me short term. It was simply the volume of tablets needed to keep it going that in the end made me seek alternatives.

But you could actually see results?

#5 Human #...

Human #...

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

AKL... I wasn't able to go to your link

#6 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (Human #... @ Mar 15 2011, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AKL... I wasn't able to go to your link

Oops...sorry... Just PM me next time, I sometimes lose track of my posts wink.gif

Anyway, here's what you can do:
Click "Search boards" -> "More search options"
In the "Keyword" box, type "B5"
In the "Search where" section, select "Search titles only"
Perform the search, you'll find a lot of topics about B5 then. Good luck!

#7 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Human #... @ Mar 15 2011, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, all the sebum/oil on my nose especially stopped, and cystic acne stopped. I would definitely go back to it if I need some short term results again. I had diarrhea after about 3 days in, but went a few days later. It did make me more sweaty as well when exercising.

#8 Human #...

Human #...

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (wibble @ Mar 31 2011, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, all the sebum/oil on my nose especially stopped, and cystic acne stopped. I would definitely go back to it if I need some short term results again. I had diarrhea after about 3 days in, but went a few days later. It did make me more sweaty as well when exercising.

wow that's great! wat was ur daily dosage and when and how did you take it?

#9 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (Human #... @ Mar 31 2011, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wibble @ Mar 31 2011, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow that's great! wat was ur daily dosage and when and how did you take it?

10g a day, spread in chunks of 4 or 5 500g pills. The problem is the sheer quantity taken of tablets, its just not realistic for most people to take 20x500g pills/day, plus any risks of hair loss. Its handy to know it works now, but I don't see it as a long term solution (hence why I didn't last too long on it).

#10 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

i have tried it and dont recomened it.

ive also tried accutane and dont recommend that either.

#11 Human #...

Human #...

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (AutonomousOne1980 @ Apr 4 2011, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have tried it and dont recomened it.

ive also tried accutane and dont recommend that either.

Can you be more specific about your results?

#12 Gators_Fan

Gators_Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

I took it and moved my way up to 7.5 grams a day at my max. I did make my stomach feel strange for the first couple weeks. I only stayed at that dosage for around a month. It was too many pills a day for the "decent" results that I got. It definitely reduced my acne and breakouts, but I've gotten the same results from 1 - 2 grams a day.

Some people (like me) can get good results from much smaller doses than 10 grams daily, but my acne was never severe. If you do try it, I would say start with around 2-4 grams daily for a few weeks and see what effect that has. You can always try a higher dose if you want, but it's economical and safer to use a smaller dose and see if it works.

#13 freakNpink

freakNpink

Since 1987

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 47
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

I did 10G daily for 2 months...oil production decreased a lot, but I got very sick. Don't recommended doing this to your body. I have a log here

Good luck & listen to your body

http://www.acne.org/...24#entry3020924

#14 lllhhk

lllhhk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

Tried this - it didn't work in the short term for me. I couldn't be bothered to try the long term because the dosage itself was ridiculous.

#15 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Be careful with this J-U-N-K!!!

#16 Gators_Fan

Gators_Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'm surprised with all the hate for B5. It's a vitamin, not some prescription drug. I still take 3 grams of B5 daily, and it has helped keep me clear. I went from getting 8 new pimples a week, to 1.

I have a feeling most of the B5 Haters were taking too much, too quickly and experienced some side effects. Start off with 2 grams, take that for a week. Then move up to 3 or 4 grams and see how that works. I have literally no side effects from taking 3 grams daily, aside from clearer skin. 10 Grams a day is too much, and that's when you get bad side effects (indigestion, loss of hair, fatigue).

Obviously, no method works for everyone, but if you haven't tried B5, and you skin is oilier than you'd like, give it a try, in the 2-4 gram/day dosage for a month.

#17 M.I.A.

M.I.A.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

I've been trying to quit taking B5 for sooo long, but just can't.

I've been taking 10g for about two years. At first it really did work - all my acne disappeared within weeks and I was no longer oily. However, the acne started coming back after a month or two, but I still wasn't oily.

That's where I'm at now. Since it's so expensive and inconvenient, and not really doing anything for my acne, I naturally want to quit using it.

Well, my skin just goes out of control with the oil production. Every time I've tried to decrease the dosage, I get worse skin than I've ever had in my life. With oil literally dripping off my face. It's ridiculous. The longest I've lasted was two weeks, but just couldn't take it. I cried every day because I looked and felt hideous. I could actually feel the oil coming through my pores, my face was just throbbing constantly. And I had about a hundred pimples on my face - there was not a single clear patch of skin.

So I keep on taking it, even though I know it's bad for you. It ages your skin so much.

Has anyone else had similar problems trying to quit B5??

#18 pam_B

pam_B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

To all you vitamin b5 users out there be very careful and dont over do it i was taking them for roughly 2 years starting at a lower dosage before upping it to 10grams a day for one whole year (crazy i know) and yes i do really regret it because now ive been diagnosed with coeliac disease sad.gif and i know 100% this is what caused it

I come from a very healthy family with no history of coeliac disease so i havent inherited it

I was suffering for 2 years with stomach problems,hair loss,dry skin,constipation,diarrea,fatigue etc without knowing what was wrong i made several trips to the doctors but they couldnt find anything wrong apart from low vit d levels so i had to go on suffering until i came across coeliac disease on the internet and started to make all the connections so i went back to the doctors told them what i thought was wrong and it turns out i have coeliac disease and im also allergic to wheat

Since removing gluten and wheat from my diet ive bin seeing some gradual changes in my hair and skin in a good healthy way

I just wish i had a mature head on my shoulders back then and wouldnt of bin so stupid in taking all them tablets because now i have to live with this forever theres no cure sad.gif

I wish i knew how b5 has caused this could it have changed the way my digestive system works or has it took something out of my body that i needed to break down food i dont know but wish i did

Goodluck to all the rest of you i just hope you dont have to go through what i do and IF you do start to get any of the symptoms i mentioned then get it checked out you could have coeliac disease aswel