Photo

PaloVia Laser (for at home use)

laser fraxel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

anyone tried this or thought about buying it. I've been reading some of the reviews on QVC and people to do state it does work and acts like the fraxel laser just less powerful, so not so much downtime. But if you could use it every day, I wonder if the cumulative effects over say a year couldn't be matched with one session of fraxel repair. The laser is $500. It is only approved for around the eyes but people I read are using it off label for other areas, and it works, you just can't do the whole face, not that big of a window. There is a 60 day money back guarantee..tempted but don't want to get succered in...

#2 ljane

ljane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

EDS has quite a detailed thread about it, and it does seem quite promising! I'm very interested too, as I had a one-shot CO2 Fractional with a surgeon (results nil; though it seems it has to be a course of treatments).

You can only use 25 "hits" in an 8-hour period. Some people have considered it to be unreliable, and from the QVC reviews, quite a few got returned! Not sure if it's a blip or whether it's a hint to a bigger issue with the Palovia. The treatment head is compared to the size of a Pez candy :s

The Tria hair-removal laser only had a limited life of so many zaps, not sure if that applies to the Palovia too. It's recommended to only use the Palovia around the eyes, though many are using it "off-label" on other areas, and it's reckoned the round the eye recommendation is to stay within some sort of FDA guidelines.

The thread is here, if you haven't seen it already: essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34287

Interested in reading more feedback about this gadget!

Edited by ljane, 09 March 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#3 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the link! If anything maybe this could cause some good temporary swelling in scars that would look good for awhile! I only want to treat isolated scars so the size wouldn't bother me. I probably wouldn't even treat the eye area much. I did see on QVC some people had problems with it giving an "interrupted" message and had to exchange for another one. Seems there are alot of defective ones but the company does exchange or refund.

#4 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Excellent topic, I was going to make a thread about this and saw you already had made one!

I called every single Nordstrom in my area today trying to locate this laser! The makers of Palovia list on their site as Nordstrom being an exclusive retailer, but none of the Nordstroms I called even heard about it.

Ok some info about this laser.

It uses a 1410 nm wavelength laser. Same as Fraxel "Re: Fine." Putting that in quotes so people realize this is the same wavelength as the Re: Fine, which is the weakest Fraxel laser.

Some more info, Palovio works on 3 settings, low, med, and high. High is 15mj.

How deep does this laser go on 15mj? I have no clue, do you?

I know Fraxel Re:Fine goes to a depth of 630 microns, but not sure what mj setting that is.

Some more facts, the Palovio handheld is limited to 25 pulses in an 8 hour window, and resets after 8 hrs. There is no catridge or replacement head to buy, so one would assume this Palovia unit is technically good for life? Again, I'm making an assumption there. Here is the catch. The Palovia is suppose to be used every night around the eyes, once a night, for 30 days. After 30 days, you are suppose to use it twice a week as needed for maintence of results.

Ok, so the obvious question I have is the following. Most of use are probably going to zap our selfs 25 times every 8 hours, and for more than 30 days, after all these are scars, not fine lines. I wonder if the unit will hold up, or is it not built to holdup to this type of extensive use?
I think 1410nm is erbium right? Would the erbium need recharging? See I don't know!

It is FDA approved for wrinkles around the eyes, so obviously there is no proof it would work for acne scars, and we would be using it off label. I just have a gut feeling though, if this was apart of our nightly routine, it would offer some help to us. I don't expect a miracle, but maybe after a years worth of nightly use we would have better color and texture to our scars?

I was so ready to buy it today, but can't find it at any Nordstroms, I could always order it online.

Does anyone else know if any other laser company is working on an at home laser? I suggested this type of at home laser on here about 2 yrs ago and a member who frequents here laughed at me, saying FDA would never approve. Anyway, obviusly now we know at home lasers are a reality. Maybe if there is a stronger co2 based in the works I'll hold out for that, anyone know?

Edited by sanjoseskin, 22 March 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#5 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

I finally purchased this laser from the Palovia website. They have a 60 day money back guarantee and I will probably return if I don't see good results on something during that time frame. I have read that this can work well on brown spots and broken capillaries, so everything is fair game to me. I don't know if I'll do much around the eyes though, because after the first zap it really left a red welt by my eye! It calmed down after eight hours but is still noticeable and feels kind of like sandpaper. Of course my scars recovered quicker, I actually think the dermastamp was more invasive, but I'm hoping there is more tightening from the laser.

I have read from other reviews, that they have reworked the laser design where now it beeps about 7 times, it used to beep 10, but one reviewer said this one is stronger now (she had the old one replaced due to it being defective) There were quite a few complaints of defective lasers but hopefully they have worked the kinks out now. There is a one year limited warranty. Even if it just holds up for a year $500 isn't bad for a year of laser treatments. However, this could have no effect on scars, but I can tell you that you will have some downtime around the eyes. Personally I wouldn't want a stronger laser, my fair skin really swelled up after one use.

#6 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (tricia @ Mar 23 2011, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally purchased this laser from the Palovia website. They have a 60 day money back guarantee and I will probably return if I don't see good results on something during that time frame. I have read that this can work well on brown spots and broken capillaries, so everything is fair game to me. I don't know if I'll do much around the eyes though, because after the first zap it really left a red welt by my eye! It calmed down after eight hours but is still noticeable and feels kind of like sandpaper. Of course my scars recovered quicker, I actually think the dermastamp was more invasive, but I'm hoping there is more tightening from the laser.

I have read from other reviews, that they have reworked the laser design where now it beeps about 7 times, it used to beep 10, but one reviewer said this one is stronger now (she had the old one replaced due to it being defective) There were quite a few complaints of defective lasers but hopefully they have worked the kinks out now. There is a one year limited warranty. Even if it just holds up for a year $500 isn't bad for a year of laser treatments. However, this could have no effect on scars, but I can tell you that you will have some downtime around the eyes. Personally I wouldn't want a stronger laser, my fair skin really swelled up after one use.

Please let us know how it works! I contacted Nordstrom.com and they said I can order the unit with free shipping both ways, and absolutely no hassle return, I can even take it into a local notrdstrom to return as long as the unit doesn't look overly used. So worth it if it doesn't work!

I just wish the laser was stronger, my skin is pretty immune to lasers that aren't super strong.

I think I'm getting this though, worth the try. Please keep us updated with your progress!

#7 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Please keep us updated.

I would be too scared, because I'm scared to have a dr. do laser on me, but I'm scared of all procedures.

#8 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

I think the laser is strong enough, and I am not really using it at full capacity on my scars. I zapped one of my scar twice and got swelling and redness. Now, I could have chosen to zap it more as you do get 25 zaps within 8 hours, but the instructions caution you that if you do 5 on the same area you can get scabs or blisters. Now, I 'm not sure if that would happen with scar tissue, but I really don't think over-injuring the skin will work any faster. I think it will take at least two months to see results. I should have bought mine from Nordstroms because I think their return policy is better that 60 days. I am still going to look into other treatments for my scars as well, I was thinking of selphyl, which is like prp. It would seem beneficial to do this laser over selphyl in the scar tissue to enhance the healing. Just need to see if I can get the money together.

#9 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

I have just read more two more "real life reviews" and not marketing propaganda on selphyl, and it seems people are not getting results with it, on wrinkles or anything else. So I will not get this until I hear an unbiased review of someone who has had results with it on scars. Sad, because I thought in theory it would work.

Also, a question to those who understand the depth of this laser: Would this laser penetrate deeper than say a 1.5mm dermaroller? I am hoping this later penetrates deeper because, otherwise, I think dermarolling would be just as good.

#10 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (tricia @ Mar 25 2011, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just read more two more "real life reviews" and not marketing propaganda on selphyl, and it seems people are not getting results with it, on wrinkles or anything else. So I will not get this until I hear an unbiased review of someone who has had results with it on scars. Sad, because I thought in theory it would work.

Also, a question to those who understand the depth of this laser: Would this laser penetrate deeper than say a 1.5mm dermaroller? I am hoping this later penetrates deeper because, otherwise, I think dermarolling would be just as good.

How large is the treatment head? The actual dimmensions? Would 25 zaps cover at least 1 entire side of your face?

Also I mentioned above, Fraxel Re:Fine which is also 1410nm lasser, goes to a depth of about 650 microns, which is 0.650mm. So a 1.5mm dermaroller, assuming you can penetrate the skin fully, would go almost an entire mm deeper!

However, although Fraxel Re:Fine goes 650microns deep, I don't know what mj setting that is on.

Palovia only goes up to 15mj, so I don't know what depth that translates to when compared with Fraxel Re: Fine

#11 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hi! I'm out of town now without my laser, so can't measure it, but I'd say the window is about as large as the dermastamp. I do think if you moved it around 25 times on one side of your face you could cover it.

I haven't really been seeing any improvement it depth, of course at this point, but I may be seeing some surface texture getting smoother. It is just a pain to have to wait the three days for the sandpaper feel to slough off. I would never do my whole face for this reason, I wouldn't want the downtime. I think this laser is pretty safe and you won't do any harm, but I do wonder it this laser or any laser for that matter will help my deeper scars. I still want to consult with a plastic surgeon soon on other options. I may be sending the laser back if I decide on another option I need the $$ for.

#12 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (tricia @ Mar 28 2011, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi! I'm out of town now without my laser, so can't measure it, but I'd say the window is about as large as the dermastamp. I do think if you moved it around 25 times on one side of your face you could cover it.

I haven't really been seeing any improvement it depth, of course at this point, but I may be seeing some surface texture getting smoother. It is just a pain to have to wait the three days for the sandpaper feel to slough off. I would never do my whole face for this reason, I wouldn't want the downtime. I think this laser is pretty safe and you won't do any harm, but I do wonder it this laser or any laser for that matter will help my deeper scars. I still want to consult with a plastic surgeon soon on other options. I may be sending the laser back if I decide on another option I need the $$ for.

Are you using low, med, or high setting?
Does your palovia make 7 or 10 clicks?

#13 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Ordered this laser!!! Nordstrom is taking forever to process and ship my order. Anyway should have it within a week I hope.

Hope it's worth it!

Edited by sanjoseskin, 06 April 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#14 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (sanjoseskin @ Apr 5 2011, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ordered this laser!!! Nordstrom is taking forever to process and ship my order. Anyway should have it within a week I hope.

Hope it's worth it!

I think you will be happy with it. It makes about 7 clicks. I have used high setting mostly, but I think the very first time you may want to do medium. I believe my skin has more of a tolerance for it now so I can zap it more times. I also think once the battery gets low, the strength of the zaps may not be as strong, but can't be sure. Try to keep the battery fully charged. It will take time to see results, but this is similar to fraxel restore, you have to wait forever to see real results. I think this can be just as effective as you can zap away multiple times every day.

#15 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (tricia @ Apr 6 2011, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope it's worth it!

I think you will be happy with it. It makes about 7 clicks. I have used high setting mostly, but I think the very first time you may want to do medium. I believe my skin has more of a tolerance for it now so I can zap it more times. I also think once the battery gets low, the strength of the zaps may not be as strong, but can't be sure. Try to keep the battery fully charged. It will take time to see results, but this is similar to fraxel restore, you have to wait forever to see real results. I think this can be just as effective as you can zap away multiple times every day.

Thanks, if Nordstrom would hurry up I would have it by now. They took forever just to process my order but sure enough charged my credit card quickly!

I just wanted to correct one thing you said, this is not the same as Fraxel re:store, it's the same as Fraxel re: fine.

#16 ljane

ljane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (sanjoseskin @ Apr 6 2011, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (tricia @ Apr 6 2011, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope it's worth it!

Thanks, if Nordstrom would hurry up I would have it by now. They took forever just to process my order but sure enough charged my credit card quickly!

I just wanted to correct one thing you said, this is not the same as Fraxel re:store, it's the same as Fraxel re: fine.

It's the reliability issue that's holding me back from buying. As I'm in the UK, it was plainly stated on the EDS thread that there would be no warranty from Palomar if it goes faulty (and then there would be delivery charges to consider). Hoping someone in the UK stocks it now there's a newer, tweaked batch!

Watching this thread and hoping you get the results you want and more! eusa_dance.gif

#17 rian202003

rian202003

:^0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

subscribed to this,

#18 ljane

ljane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

I mentioned this on EDS too: I ordered a Palovia from lovelyskin.com (they have a 15% off code at the moment, NYC). Not sure if it's the best price for US customers, but a good option for international buyers.

Just hope I don't regret this! I realise the internet tends to attract more complaints than raves, though, so it's hard to tell just how faulty the Palovia really is/was. confused.gif

#19 sanjoseskin

sanjoseskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (ljane @ Apr 8 2011, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mentioned this on EDS too: I ordered a Palovia from lovelyskin.com (they have a 15% off code at the moment, NYC). Not sure if it's the best price for US customers, but a good option for international buyers.

Just hope I don't regret this! I realise the internet tends to attract more complaints than raves, though, so it's hard to tell just how faulty the Palovia really is/was. confused.gif

You know I don't really go by reviews anymore, unless the site has a good history of posting good and bad reviews.

Tooooooooooooooooo many companies now pre-approve reviews and will only post good ones that benefit them.

I heard many of the negative QVC reviews on Palovia were never posted or later removed.
Nevertheless, I am giving Palovia a try.

I have experience myself with reviews. I buy TONS of things online. I've noticed when I write bad reviews, the company site doesn't approve them and doesn't post them. HA! Most skin care companies do this. Origins I'm talking to you smile.gif That is why you often see 4-5 stars because negative reviews are denied.

One time I left a negative review and the company contacted me! They never did post my negative review but they did contact me and wanted to know why I had negative opinions then sent me free product. I was happy, but ultimately I think it is more fare to the consumer if companies stop this practice of pre-approving reviews. It is mis-leading when your product is rated 5 stars, but only because you rejected all the negative ones!

Edited by sanjoseskin, 08 April 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#20 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

SanJose, I haven't been here in a coons age. Somebody PMed me and that is the only reason I am here now. Lets just say I have found a whole other world that is a lot more fun. I just remember your name from the old posts.