Photo

really need your help

niacin green tea zinc milk thistle dermabrasion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:08 AM

hey everyone.. i need some advice. my acne is doing MUCH better thanks to my water regimen, but i am still plagued with very minor acne. it is soooooooo stubborn. my main concern is im going to dr Y in a month for my punch elevations, and i want my acne under control by then, because im so scared of having even minor acne after he does dermabrasion. (due to how expensive it is, it worries me still having acne). so my main question, do yall recommend any good supplements that help hormonal acne? mine is definitely from androgens, an b5 works beautifully for me, at this point i would only need a few grams a day, but im scared to death of side effects (hair loss). so i need some good supplements.

what ive tried:
zinc (made me worse)
b5 (works, but scared of side effects)
b6 didnt do anything
evening primrose oil (helps but doesnt clear me totally)
flax seed, possibly made it worse
chaste tree berry (vitex) no change
NAC no change
vit A no change, possibly made worse
milk thistle only took it a few days, so not sure
niacin no noticeable change
trying natures cure now
cod liver oil no change
green tea no change

so if anyone knows any supplements that safely lower androgens, i would LOVE to know.. thanks so much in advance!!!

#2 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:20 AM

Stop messing with that shit. Seriously. I spent so much time messing around with that stuff and none of it works even remotely as well as prescription medications - I tried just about everything that you have listed, and none of them cleared me up at all when I was prone to acne. I know that some will say otherwise, but really...the success rate of these supplements for clearing acne is low.

If your acne is caused by excess androgen production, you should look into anti androgens such as spiro...or perhaps actos/avandia, etc.

#3 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

you have a good point. i cant take spiro because of the hair loss issue, but it sucks knowing there is soemthing out there that would basically clear me completely.. grrr..but on top of that the acne is so minor i would love to find something natural. i have been actually thinking of going on an insulin sensitizer, as i have horrible problems with insulin resistance. but i worry because i really try to keep my life free of medications, an insulin sensitizers are reallyyyyyyyy strong. so my goal is to find somethng natural.

sweetjade- did going on an insulin sensitizer help your acne?

#4 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:43 AM

Zinc over a month, has REALLY helped with my acne. Some problem spots have gone completely clear, don't say it doesn't work. It works for some and not for others, afterall we are all different and our causes of acne are different.

#5 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

Well, glad it worked for you but compared to prescription medications, the success rate is absurdly low. From browsing google groups, it seems that few people have had much luck with it.

#6 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

sadcaroline, I don't know if you alter the food you eat already, but cutting back on sugar and dairy, around that time of month especially, really helps the monthly breakouts. Also fish oil is good for me as well as hyaluronic acid supplements.

#7 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:31 PM

One thing to keep in mind about zinc is that it increases testosterone levels in those that are zinc deficient. Since your acne is caused by excess androgens, you would likely have an initial breakout by using zinc.....some report that they get better after the initial breakout.

Have you used any of the macrolide or cillin antibiotics? Perhaps they could be of some help

#8 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:14 PM

evi- zinc did make me worse, i think u are definitey right about the zinc raising testosterone levels. i dont take anti biotics- i try to stay anti medications :-P i wonder if i stayed on the zinc for a while if it would eventually help? ive only taken it for a week at a time or soemthing. the antibiotic bactrim helped me alot- a sulfa drug- i wonder if MSM would help? thanks for all the advice evi!!

#9 acnekilledmylife

acnekilledmylife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

I didn't think it would work either, but all I had to do is pop a Zinc tablet once a day and around a month, a little longer, I got dramacticly clearer.

#10 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:04 PM

acnekilledmylife- did you notice ur acne getting worse at all in the beginning? im thinking i should try it again, thanks for the advice smile.gif

#11 unplainjane

unplainjane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:36 PM

i don't know if this will help your hormonal levels but i use pulsatilla. it's a homeopathic remedy and in combination with the regimen it seems to help my acne.

#12 dh32

dh32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

The cure for acne is seeing a dermatologist. Period. Not a family doctor, they are not skilled enough.