Photo

Water Filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

I've read around on the forums about people using water filters to remove all that crap from their water. I looked up my town's chemical levels in the water and I'm really not satisfied with drinking that junk. Not to mention, I don't prefer the taste (metallic, chlorinated) and it's even worse after I heat up some water for tea.

I understand there's cheap filters like Brita that can help with the taste but won't do as much for actually removing harmful chemicals. I feel if I'm gonna get a water filter I might as well get one that will do it's job all the way through.

Could anyone recommend me a good water filter for this? Possibly one that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money.

#2 Isaac Lee

Isaac Lee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Phresh @ Feb 28 2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read around on the forums about people using water filters to remove all that crap from their water. I looked up my town's chemical levels in the water and I'm really not satisfied with drinking that junk. Not to mention, I don't prefer the taste (metallic, chlorinated) and it's even worse after I heat up some water for tea.

I understand there's cheap filters like Brita that can help with the taste but won't do as much for actually removing harmful chemicals. I feel if I'm gonna get a water filter I might as well get one that will do it's job all the way through.

Could anyone recommend me a good water filter for this? Possibly one that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Also interested in this topic.

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

The ones you buy in the supermarket that attach onto the tap or pitcher filters cost more in the long run due to filter cost. I use the Aquasana which sits on the counter and attaches via thin hoses or can go under the counter. The filters are changed every 6 months and so it was cheaper in the long run and seemed to be one of the best choices at the time I bought it.

There was a thread on this with quite a few reviews, but they would be outdated now. You should do a web search, see what they sell on amazon, maybe look into that Zero water thing the advertise on TV.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 Bokkie

Bokkie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

Im also interested in this topic. Minimum requirement for me is the removal of fluoride out of the water.
Skin Care: As little as possible...

#5 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Feb 28 2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ones you buy in the supermarket that attach onto the tap or pitcher filters cost more in the long run due to filter cost. I use the Aquasana which sits on the counter and attaches via thin hoses or can go under the counter. The filters are changed every 6 months and so it was cheaper in the long run and seemed to be one of the best choices at the time I bought it.

There was a thread on this with quite a few reviews, but they would be outdated now. You should do a web search, see what they sell on amazon, maybe look into that Zero water thing the advertise on TV.

I checked out the Zero filter. Initially it seemed awesome but what I keep reading is the filter goes out very quickly and the "Filtered water" becomes even worse than just straight tap water. So in the end, you pay a lot more for your water in terms of constantly replacing the filter. Not worth it.

#6 Isaac Lee

Isaac Lee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE (Phresh @ Mar 1 2011, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (alternativista @ Feb 28 2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked out the Zero filter. Initially it seemed awesome but what I keep reading is the filter goes out very quickly and the "Filtered water" becomes even worse than just straight tap water. So in the end, you pay a lot more for your water in terms of constantly replacing the filter. Not worth it.

I hear RO filters are good.
But atm, its too expensive.
about 300 bucks for a low class one.

#7 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

Eh, there's gotta be a cheaper/easier way to drink pure water.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

It's hard to find a filter that removes all flouride. And it depends on what kind they use.

And yes, the carbon filters need to be changed often.

RO filters the most, but it also removes even desirable minerals and the water may not taste good after that. And it's expensive.

I did find some flouride filters that weren't too expensive:

http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2168992
Another thread with info that may be of interest:
http://www.acne.org/...er-t189753.html

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#9 Sito

Sito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

Would any of you good folk like to share or know the best place to buy a Kenmore Refridgerator water filter?

and i'm reluctant to ask questions about the different kinds of filters, tap water, and related topics at the risk of sounding stupid so please KEEP POSTING in this THREAD.

#10 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Sito @ Mar 2 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would any of you good folk like to share or know the best place to buy a Kenmore Refridgerator water filter?

and i'm reluctant to ask questions about the different kinds of filters, tap water, and related topics at the risk of sounding stupid so please KEEP POSTING in this THREAD.

http://www.waterfilt...ter-p-1063.html

There's a link if you're looking for one online. Sears should carry them but for 25$ more expensive. I think that's what you meant by "filter".

I really wish there was a legitimate filter that could remove crap like chlorine and fluoride but not be ridiculously expensive.

#11 Sito

Sito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yes, that's def. what i meant by Filter, but i'm not sure if it is actually the one that goes with the refrigerator i have>>

How do i check that for sure?

my fridge is model # 596 5069 2000

and the Filter is model number 12527302.

#12 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Sito @ Mar 2 2011, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that's def. what i meant by Filter, but i'm not sure if it is actually the one that goes with the refrigerator i have>>

How do i check that for sure?

my fridge is model # 596 5069 2000

and the Filter is model number 12527302.

If you check under "Replacements" it has a list. Your filter model number is there, so it would work.

#13 alicecooper

alicecooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Mar 1 2011, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hard to find a filter that removes all flouride. And it depends on what kind they use.

And yes, the carbon filters need to be changed often.

RO filters the most, but it also removes even desirable minerals and the water may not taste good after that. And it's expensive.

I did find some flouride filters that weren't too expensive:

http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2168992
Another thread with info that may be of interest:
http://www.acne.org/...er-t189753.html

I would like to note that I work in the field of water filtration and I can tell you that the only filters worth buying for drinking water are Reverse Osmosis systems.

First off, there is so much psuedoscience in the water industry its rediculous here is a link to a chemist debunking a lot of water pseudo science: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/gallery.html

dont worry about minerals, you get them from food not water.

RO is the only way to get 99% pure water in the convenience of your home. Its not special water, its just pure water. there is no such thing as special water. all the water on this planet is the same exact water that was here billions of years ago.

Dont research it online(lots of BS about them) ask your plumber about them. they cost less than a few dollars a month to run and you only have to change a filter like every year depending on use. 300-400$ should get you a standard one. If you pay more, your not getting better water, maybe a better system, but not better water.

RO is the industry standard, pretty much every household in my town has one. They use the same method on fancy cruise ships and Military ships. the water tastes perfectly fine and is perfectly fine to drink.

PLEASE dont go online and by some stupid blender filter contraption for 200 bucks because some jackass says it "charges" the water or something.

I would also like to note that, I started bathing in RO water that I would take from my store just to see if it would help my acne, it didnt. Tap water is fine to shower in. just get a chlorine filter for your shower. And maybe a whole house soft water system.

And for whole house, there is nothing that will get you 99% pure like RO can. Unless you are willing to spend 20 thousand dollars and find a plumber risky enough to do it, you can get a giant RO system. but Its really unnesseccary

Also, distilled and RO are almost identical in purity. BUT DONT BUY A HOME DISTILLER!! It most likely is not a good product and not doing $hit for your water other than boiling it or whatever. In my store, we HAVE to send the water through the RO systems FIRST or else it will damage the Distillers.

EDIT: to the people with Brita or other bolt on or snap on filters, all they do is take out chlorine. They are way over priced for what they do.

Edited by alicecooper, 02 March 2011 - 01:00 PM.

I am not a female.

Alice Cooper is a singer.

#14 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

I wouldn't have a big problem spending 300-400$ for pure water, but I currently live in military dorms. If I were even allowed to do that (which I very well might..) I'm only going to be here for a little less than 2 more years.

Wouldn't your water bill go way up considering the amount of water you need to put in the filter for what you get out? I'm definitely not as educated on this topic as you are.

#15 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Sito @ Mar 2 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kenmore is a Sears brand. You usually have to get Sears stuff from Sears. Be sure to change those filters on schedule.

#16 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Phresh @ Mar 2 2011, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't have a big problem spending 300-400$ for pure water, but I currently live in military dorms. If I were even allowed to do that (which I very well might..) I'm only going to be here for a little less than 2 more years.

Wouldn't your water bill go way up considering the amount of water you need to put in the filter for what you get out? I'm definitely not as educated on this topic as you are.

You get all the water out. There's no waste byproduct.

The aquasana is about $100 plus $100 per year for the filters. It sits on the counter and attaches with hoses, but later you can buy the parts to put it under the sink.

#17 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hmm, doesn't seem too bad. Except the 100$ a year per filters.

#18 Dainbramage

Dainbramage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Phresh @ Mar 4 2011, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, doesn't seem too bad. Except the 100$ a year per filters.

You can do $8/month for the filters if you don't wanna pay it all up front.

#19 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Honestly, it is a small price to pay for pure water. My only concern is I was reading that it can be a pain to replace the filters and the "pull" tab on the faucet attachment breaks easily.

Have you had that problem?

#20 Dainbramage

Dainbramage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Phresh @ Mar 4 2011, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, it is a small price to pay for pure water. My only concern is I was reading that it can be a pain to replace the filters and the "pull" tab on the faucet attachment breaks easily.

Have you had that problem?

I've only had mine for about a year and replaced the cartridges once so far. I had no problems at all. Just follow the instructions step by step and you'll be fine.

The housing, fittings, etc. are kind of cheap material, but it's not like it's complete garbage either. It gets the job done, the water looks and tastes great, and I'm happy with it. Nothing has broken yet and haven't had any leaks.